Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why not pay the student nurses?!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,589 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

In a country where TDs are getting paid travel expenses while they are off sick we should be paying student nurses enough to cover food and board at the very least

• Registered Users Posts: 9,483 ✭✭✭weisses

khalessi wrote: »
    You yourself said you come home exhausted, so are you working proper hours. Ye indeed stuff like giving ivs etc not in your remit but having been a student nurse, I know that there are a lot of other duties during the working day that needs doing that you get to do in your role.

And knowing that other professions are being paid in placement do you think student nurses should get the same treatment?

I feel it's part of my training.. Nursing is tough and placement prepares you for this. I am glad i can do 12 hour shifts on placement.

What i would be in favour of is that nurses on placement should be properly compensated for extra accommodation cost and all the other extra money spend that you are not spending while in class, mainly because you can be send anywhere which can bring significant costs for students. Again just my personal opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭keyboard_cat

weisses wrote: »
    Students are not getting paid on placement..... Just get that misconception out of your head

When I was doing an engineering degree I got paid something like 11 euro an hour during my 9 month placement. And I did a lot less work then these nurses generally I sat around watching YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

I feel it's part of my training.. Nursing is tough and placement prepares you for this. I am glad i can do 12 hour shifts on placement.

What i would be in favour of is that nurses on placement should be properly compensated for extra accommodation cost and all the other extra money spend that you are not spending while in class, mainly because you can be send anywhere which can bring significant costs for students. Again just my personal opinion

Agreed, they should be paid properly to cover these expenses. Nursing is not a vocation no matter what people like to think.

It is a tough job, long hours and lots of unofficial overtime that goes unpaid, even as a student. I realise things have changed somewhat since I was a student nurse but proper work deserves proper renumeration. A student working a 12 hour shift is replacing a paid member of staff. You work hard on placement and can be sent anywhere and should be paid properly for this so there is no stress over extra accomodation costs or other expenses.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Caquas

An interesting discussion with Katie Hannon.

Credit to Brid Smith for getting to the nub of the problem- the student nurses are used to fill staffing gaps because so many nurses are self-isolating.

The student nurse from UCD almost gave the game away when she said “”I didn’t sign up for a pandemic”. That’s what she hears in the hospital corridors.

http://rte.ie/r.html?rii=9_21876333_26960_05-12-2020

• Advertisement

A student working a 12 hour shift is replacing a paid member of staff.

That is a false statement. As a student you are working under direct supervision of a registered nurse who acts as your preceptor .

Under no circumstances are student nurses replacing nurses on a ward ...

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Rrrrrr2

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Idiotic post. Truly ignorant. Have you missed all that has been going on this year?

Just because you don’t agree with facts doesn’t make it ignorant- too many in Ireland are led by these kind of stupid hyper emotions rather than any grasp of reality

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

Exploitation.

We have this absurd capitalist mindset that people are entitled to your free labour and that you should be grateful for the experience. A load of blarney.

Student nurses aren't some interns in an office being sent to fetch coffees. They are doing the work of fully qualified nurses.

Do nursing students pay for their training and education?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,388 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

It's the same as any degree course. Student Nurses do far more work than other health science students and far more practical hours. They actually do as much 'oractice' as they did prior to it Nursing becoming a degree qualification meaning that they have to go on placement when other health science students have holidays. And I can assure you they dont stand around with their hands hanging by their sides on the wards 'observing". They are working.

It depends what you qualify for as a student .. Same as other degree courses

• Advertisement

Sardonicat wrote: »
    It's the same as any degree course. Student Nurses do far more work than other health science students and far more practical hours. They actually do as much 'oractice' as they did prior to it Nursing becoming a degree qualification meaning that they have to go on placement when other health science students have holidays. And I can assure you they dont stand around with their hands hanging by their sides on the wards 'observing". They are working.

Do they pay for their education is the question I'm asking?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭Gervais08

I cannot fathom how this posit is still going on!

The biggest mistake happened was to create a phoney BSc in Nursing when the sensible option was what had gone on before; nurses were hired and worked their apprenticeship in a hospital; earned pay while getting experience.

Now it’s books for the most part and has turned out a lesser breed of nurses. “I didn’t sign up to a pandemic”

No one did you precious tart!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

If you work, you get paid.

This placement bullsh*t is one of the biggest scams ever in Ireland.

If you work, you get paid.

End of.
    Certainly. When you work you should get paid.
    When you dont work...

Yes - they do. It’s just a regular third level degree.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Gervais08 wrote: »
    Yes - they do. It’s just a regular third level degree.

So they pay a registration fee but they in no way pay the full cost of the eduction they receive

So they pay a registration fee but they in no way pay the full cost of the eduction they receive

They pay whatever a third level degree costs - same as if they were doing Art or French.

International nursing students pay near 20k a year for their degree here.

Are they contracted to the hse for a period after becoming qualified?

As far as i understand many leave for the UK, Australia etc once qualified. Seems like a very bad deal for the taxpayer.

As far as i understand many leave for the UK, Australia etc once qualified. Seems like a very bad deal for the taxpayer.

No they’re not - they can leave to take up very lucrative positions wherever they want.

They pay 10-12k for Ireland to train them and can be off earning six figures tax free in the Middle East before the ink has dried on the certificate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Solutionking

When the kids sign up they are 17 and 18 and are not thinking of the realities of having to rent two places at the same time while in college. Some of the placements are so far away this happens.

As pointed out elsewhere other professions pay for student placements.

What placements are so far away? because I have never once heard that.

It doesn't matter what other professions do, if they wanted to get paid then they apply for those jobs.

Now it’s books for the most part and has turned out a lesser breed of nurses. “I didn’t sign up to a pandemic”

Its not ...First 3 years its placement for half the time and year 4 is 36 weeks internship ... so in all its on the job training for the most part

• Advertisement

Its not ...First 3 years its placement for half the time and year 4 is 36 weeks internship ... so in all its on the job training for the most part

Still not work tho.

What placements are so far away? because I have never once heard that.

I have possible placement 3 hours away from where I live ....And placements are not known until 4 weeks before actually going there

Still not work tho.

Ohh its work ...Hard work, Its not books for the most part, That was what I responded to

No ..and why should they ?

Do other degree courses require you to stay here in Ireland once qualified ?

Ohh its work ...Hard work, Its not books for the most part, That was what I responded to

Okay, half books. Or they wouldn’t have got degree status for the placements etc.

Caquas wrote: »
    An interesting discussion with Katie Hannon.

Credit to Brid Smith for getting to the nub of the problem- the student nurses are used to fill staffing gaps because so many nurses are self-isolating.

The student nurse from UCD almost gave the game away when she said “”I didn’t sign up for a pandemic”. That’s what she hears in the hospital corridors.

http://rte.ie/r.html?rii=9_21876333_26960_05-12-2020

Once you start your internship in year 4 you should be paid close to what a nurse is getting..... mainly because you actually have your own patients assigned to you.

Okay, half books. Or they wouldn’t have got degree status for the placements etc.

I couldn't do it if it was mostly books :D

Well, if they qualify for fees to be paid they will be, if not they pay for them themselves. Likewise , if they qualify for a maintenance grant they will receive one, if not they won't. Like all other degree courses.

I cannot fathom how this posit is still going on!

The biggest mistake happened was to create a phoney BSc in Nursing when the sensible option was what had gone on before; nurses were hired and worked their apprenticeship in a hospital; earned pay while getting experience.

No one did you precious tart!!!!

It's not books for the most part. Its exactly the same amount of practical hours they always had before the Bsc with a fulltime degree course on top. About double the workload of any other degree course.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 514 ✭✭✭thomasdylan

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    What would peoples thoughts be regarding whether student doctors should get paid also? You'd never really see a campaign for them, which is somewhat surprising.

Medical students aren't any practical help usually and shouldn't be paid. They're really just there for learning.

Advertisement