Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SCA failed in app

Options
  • 05-12-2020 9:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi,

I can't login to the 365 app on my phone (Galaxy S20). It tells me the SCA failed and I have tried multiple times. 
    The app is up to date from the play store. I just received a text from BOI stating that one more failed attempt will 
    mean my account will be blocked. How do I resolve this as now I can't use the app.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29 jmike72

Having the same issue...get the SCA failed on my Samsung S10 and just received the text saying access will be locked on next failed attempt. Can login from my iPad though...

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭thebo

Had same issue.

Have to uninstall and reinstall app then enter details again.

Worked then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 mbreeno

Tried this and it worked, cheers!
    thebo wrote: »
    Had same issue.

Worked then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Tara

Hi all,

Thanks for getting in touch and sorry to hear you have had difficulty accessing the mobile app. As mentioned by thebo, if you delete and reinstall the app this should resolve this issue. 

@jmike72 if this doesn't work please let us know. 

Thanks
    Tara

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭1874

Had same issue.

Worked then.
    Uninstall/reinstall did not work for me, not only that, Based on the number of complaints in the play store, Im suspicious as when I got through eventually, the staff member said there was no problem on their end (in my opinion) they didnt know and the stock response is uninstall/reinstall the app.
    Following the SCA error a message comes up on screen saying you will be locked out in one more attempt and then when you're locked out a list of helpline number options,
    The BOI support phone number, which is supposed to be attended sat/sun up to 4pm, think 10-4, said closed sat/sun on the recorded message, same for the 0818 number. Called the NI number and got answered.

Problem not resolved and like the reviews in the Play store, there is no point directing anyone to contact the customer support numbers,

From time to time previously, the App will bump you out even though I am adamant I inputted the correct details (similar complaints in playstore reviews), I accepted the occasional occurrence.

Need to fix the app and not make excuses

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

If you are going to update the app, you might at least make sure that it works after you update it.

Just went to log in to make a transfer and got told it was updating, and after that, I basically can't use the phone app, SCA is failing. That's very clearly a complete lack of quality control at your end, in that it was working the last time I used it, and I can still use the web app via the laptop. Clearly, who ever did the checking of the update didn't do the job properly, and something related to either cookies or local data is not being correctly managed.

Not impressed, not one little bit, this sort of failure is not acceptable on a public facing application that many people will be dependent on, and not all users have an alternative access method. The suggestion to uninstall and reinstall is not a good way to deal with problems, while it may well sort some issues, it indicates a lack of adequate management of the change process at BOI.

So, I removed the app, and then went to Google play store to download again, installed it, and then on opening, the first thing it did was download more updates.

The first question is why the latest version is not in the Play store, and if you are going to apply updates outside of the Play store system and controls, then that needs to be much more clearly notified to the users, to ensure that there are no windows of opportunity for fraudsters to make unapproved changes. I'm not being paranoid here, updates outside of Play store are not a good way to be doing things, and for some users, that may not work, if the update process is locked to the Store only.

The second issue it that it doesn't make sense that an update being applied causes the app to fail, and removing and reinstalling it changes something that then allows the app to start working again.

This time, it worked after entering all the relevant details, but clearly, something in the update that came in after the reinstall caused problems with the data in the phone that was current prior to the update.

Someone needs to look very closely at the way the updates are applied, and how the changes use existing data that is in memory on the phone prior to the update, as that's what's caused this problem on my phone.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland Reps

1874 wrote: »
    Had same issue.

Worked then.
    Uninstall/reinstall did not work for me, not only that, Based on the number of complaints in the play store, Im suspicious as when I got through eventually, the staff member said there was no problem on their end (in my opinion) they didnt know and the stock response is uninstall/reinstall the app.
    Following the SCA error a message comes up on screen saying you will be locked out in one more attempt and then when you're locked out a list of helpline number options,
    The BOI support phone number, which is supposed to be attended sat/sun up to 4pm, think 10-4, said closed sat/sun on the recorded message, same for the 0818 number. Called the NI number and got answered.

Problem not resolved and like the reviews in the Play store, there is no point directing anyone to contact the customer support numbers,

From time to time previously, the App will bump you out even though I am adamant I inputted the correct details (similar complaints in playstore reviews), I accepted the occasional occurrence.

Hi There,

Thanks for getting in touch with us here on Boards. We are sorry to hear that you have been experiencing difficulty with the mobile app.

Can we check with you are you an android or IOS user?

If you are an android user can we ask that you try the following to see if this works for you.

On the android device please select Settings and scroll down to Apps, Select Boi Mobile, Tap Storage then clear cache(bottom right), tap back to return to the previous screen and then select uninstall. 

Open the playstore and then reinstall the mobile banking app ans set up as before.

We can assure you that our dedicated mobile migration team is available from 10am to 4pm on 0818 200 362. Can we check with you the number you were calling on saturday and we would be happy to check this out.

Thanks Jen

If you are going to update the app, you might at least make sure that it works after you update it.

Just went to log in to make a transfer and got told it was updating, and after that, I basically can't use the phone app, SCA is failing. That's very clearly a complete lack of quality control at your end, in that it was working the last time I used it, and I can still use the web app via the laptop. Clearly, who ever did the checking of the update didn't do the job properly, and something related to either cookies or local data is not being correctly managed.

Not impressed, not one little bit, this sort of failure is not acceptable on a public facing application that many people will be dependent on, and not all users have an alternative access method. The suggestion to uninstall and reinstall is not a good way to deal with problems, while it may well sort some issues, it indicates a lack of adequate management of the change process at BOI.

So, I removed the app, and then went to Google play store to download again, installed it, and then on opening, the first thing it did was download more updates.

The first question is why the latest version is not in the Play store, and if you are going to apply updates outside of the Play store system and controls, then that needs to be much more clearly notified to the users, to ensure that there are no windows of opportunity for fraudsters to make unapproved changes. I'm not being paranoid here, updates outside of Play store are not a good way to be doing things, and for some users, that may not work, if the update process is locked to the Store only.

The second issue it that it doesn't make sense that an update being applied causes the app to fail, and removing and reinstalling it changes something that then allows the app to start working again.

This time, it worked after entering all the relevant details, but clearly, something in the update that came in after the reinstall caused problems with the data in the phone that was current prior to the update.

Someone needs to look very closely at the way the updates are applied, and how the changes use existing data that is in memory on the phone prior to the update, as that's what's caused this problem on my phone.
    Hi There,

Thanks for getting in touch with us here this morning. We are very sorry to hear that this was your experience when using the mobile app for your account. Please be assured that we do appreciate all feedback we receive from our customers and we will be sure to pass this on.

If you have been experiencing difficulty logging into the account and have received the SCA error message.

We would recommend the following if you are an Android user. Please select settings on your android device and scroll down to appps, search for the BOI mobile app, tap storage and then clear cache(bottom right), tap back to return to the previous screen and then select uninstall. 

Open the playstore and then reinstall the BOI mobile banking app and set this up as before.

Please feel free to get back in touch if we can help with anything else.

Thanks Jen

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Had same problem.
    Clear all data in the app properties and register again solved it for me.
    Did not reinstall
    Still a pita you have to go this route after a simple update.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Richard F

inforfun wrote: »
    Had same problem.
    Clear all data in the app properties and register again solved it for me.
    Did not reinstall
    Still a pita you have to go this route after a simple update.
    Hi Inforfun,

Thanks for getting in touch. We're glad to hear that this has resolved for you. We'll be sure to share your feedback with the relevant team. Feel free to get back in touch if we can help with anything else.

Thanks,
    Richard

• Advertisement

Had same issue.

Worked then.

Hi There,

Thanks for getting in touch with us here on Boards. We are sorry to hear that you have been experiencing difficulty with the mobile app.

If you are an android user can we ask that you try the following to see if this works for you.

On the android device please select Settings and scroll down to Apps, Select Boi Mobile, Tap Storage then clear cache(bottom right), tap back to return to the previous screen and then select uninstall. 

Open the playstore and then reinstall the mobile banking app ans set up as before.

We can assure you that our dedicated mobile migration team is available from 10am to 4pm on 0818 200 362. Can we check with you the number you were calling on saturday and we would be happy to check this out.

Thanks Jen
    This hasnt worked for me, I deleted and reinstalled the app, getting the request to register device and now just failed to login,

Download updates, register device, activation code, loading, continue to login, transaction received message??
    running security checks, SCA timed out, and please note you have ONE login attempt left, and now just failed to login, absolute joke!
    Why would I ring that 0818 number? I already tried the 3 numbers I could locate including an 0818 number and the person on the other end (from ringing the NI no.) "hang on a minute, I'll just look into this or needed to check something" about 5 or 6 minutes of silence later I had no option but to hang up.

Also, I keep getting a transaction received message and it asks me to swipe to confirm, as I have made no transaction, Im damned if Im swiping, as it looks like the app is compromised or my account is being compromised by the app and a transaction is being attempted to be made that requires me to confirm it with a swipe.
    Basically being forced to uninstall the app until I hear it is resolved as Im concerend about the security regarding the transaction confirmation request, updates starting right after I open the freshly installed app from play store, any explanation on that??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Megan

Had same issue.

Worked then.

Hi There,

Thanks Jen
    This hasnt worked for me, I deleted and reinstalled the app, getting the request to register device and now just failed to login,

Download updates, register device, activation code, loading, continue to login, transaction received message??
    running security checks, SCA timed out, and please note you have ONE login attempt left, and now just failed to login, absolute joke!
    Why would I ring that 0818 number? I already tried the 3 numbers I could locate including an 0818 number and the person on the other end (from ringing the NI no.) "hang on a minute, I'll just look into this or needed to check something" about 5 or 6 minutes of silence later I had no option but to hang up.

Also, I keep getting a transaction received message and it asks me to swipe to confirm, as I have made no transaction, Im damned if Im swiping, as it looks like the app is compromised or my account is being compromised by the app and a transaction is being attempted to be made that requires me to confirm it with a swipe.
    Basically being forced to uninstall the app until I hear it is resolved as Im concerend about the security regarding the transaction confirmation request, updates starting right after I open the freshly installed app from play store, any explanation on that??
    Hi there,

Thank you for getting back to us here today.

I am very sorry to hear that you are having this difficulty with the mobile app. To ensure you can continue to have access, it would be necessary to contact our Mobile App Team on 0818200362 or 0035312500362 from abroad. One of my colleagues can certainly get this fixed for you.
    [font=Calibri, sans-serif]
    In relation to the transaction notification, there is nothing to be concerned about with this notification, it is tied to an earlier activity you completed on your account. We are aware some notifications are been sent late and are working to resolve this issue. Thank you for your patience and apologise for any inconvenience caused.
    [/font]

Many thanks,
    Megan

Had same issue.

Worked then.

Hi There,

Thanks Jen

Hi there,

Thank you for getting back to us here today.

I am very sorry to hear that you are having this difficulty with the mobile app. To ensure you can continue to have access, it would be necessary to contact our Mobile App Team on 0818200362 or 0035312500362 from abroad. One of my colleagues can certainly get this fixed for you.
    [font=Calibri, sans-serif]
    In relation to the transaction notification, there is nothing to be concerned about with this notification, it is tied to an earlier activity you completed on your account. We are aware some notifications are been sent late and are working to resolve this issue. Thank you for your patience and apologise for any inconvenience caused.
    [/font]

Many thanks,
    Megan
    The App is the problem, fix that and the problem will be sorted, this problem didn't exist before, I dont have the time to waste again on the phone dealing with someone asking me if I have done the most basic things as if Im not familiar with these things.
    At this stage I know the response by calling, I'll still keep my account open and minimally operate my boi account and just transfer my banking dealings elsewhere, based on experiences with BOI in the past scaling back customer support, this doesnt even surprise me.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭terenurebob

Had the same issue as well. Instructions above resolved the issue. It would have been helpful to have been sent an email to alert me that some users are having issues along with instructions on how to solve the problem. I just guessed that maybe I could find something on Boards about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 jmike72

While uninstall/reinstall worked for me, this is a poor solution and just shows how bad BoI is... have you guys heard about testing before releasing???

I used mobile apps from different banks in Portugal and even the worst app there was light years ahead of BoI, not only because I never needed to uninstall/reinstall, but on the available options I had in the app...

BoI is still working 19th century, with the other banks in Ireland working mid 20th century...

jmike72 wrote: »
    While uninstall/reinstall worked for me, this is a poor solution and just shows how bad BoI is... have you guys heard about testing before releasing???

I used mobile apps from different banks in Portugal and even the worst app there was light years ahead of BoI, not only because I never needed to uninstall/reinstall, but on the available options I had in the app...

BoI is still working 19th century, with the other banks in Ireland working mid 20th century...
    Hi Jmike72,

We really appreciate you taking the time to share this with us. We'll be sure to share this back with our development team to further improve the app.

Please don't hesitate to get back in touch if we can help with anything else. 

Thanks,
    Richard

Hi Jmike72,

We really appreciate you taking the time to share this with us. We'll be sure to share this back with our development team to further improve the app.

Thanks,
    Richard

for the heck of it, tried to ring customer support, on hold for 12 minutes plus before giving up, just cant be hanging on that long, so saying call us is a joke

Hi Jmike72,

Thanks,
    Richard

for the heck of it, tried to ring customer support, on hold for 12 minutes plus before giving up, just cant be hanging on that long, so saying call us is a joke
    Hi 1874,

We're sorry to hear you were experiencing less than desirable hold times. We'll be sure to share this feedback with the team. Rest assured one of our colleagues will be happy to help with any difficulty you are experiencing once they become available. 

Thanks,
    Richard

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Ikuwin

mbreeno wrote: »
    Hi,

I can't login to the 365 app on my phone (Galaxy S20). It tells me the SCA failed and I have tried multiple times. 
    The app is up to date from the play store. I just received a text from BOI stating that one more failed attempt will 
    mean my account will be blocked. How do I resolve this as now I can't use the app.
    Same here.

Ikuwin wrote: »
    mbreeno wrote: »
    Hi,

Same here.
    Hi There,

Thanks for getting in touch with us here this morning. We are sorry to hear that you are experiencing difficulty with using the mobile app. We would suggest that you try delete and reinstall the mobile app to your device.

If you are continuing to experience difficulty having tried this it would be best to contact our Mobile App team directly on 0818 200 362 and our colleagues here will be happy to help with this. The team is available Monday to Friday from 9am to 5pm.

We hope this helps and that you remain safe and well during this time.

Thanks Jen

• Advertisement
Advertisement