Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bench drill with Forstner bit

Options
  • 05-12-2020 9:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

I use a 30mm Forstner bit to drill into hardwood panels. The drill has enough power to get into the wood, but accuracy is not the best.

I have been using a hand drill in a drill stand but wanted more accuracy, so I bought a bench drill. Even at the highest revs its not powerful enough to get through the wood with the 30mm forstner bit.

Is there a more powerful bench drill (pillar drill) out there to help with this? Or am I simply doing something wrong?

Any help appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

Unless it's a pure ball of crap drill press then it's probably the bit. It's either blunt or crap. A good bit will fly through with no problem

What are you drilling into
    Are you going deep
    Are you clearing shavings so they are no jambing up behind
    Is the bit stopping turning from not enough power or that you can push it into the wood enough

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Don't confuse speed with torque. A 30mm bit should be run at about 500 rpm and most pillar drills will get up to 2000 easily.
    Unfortunately they usually have puny 350 watt motors which can easily burn out.
    I'd invest in a quality bit ( preferably German made ) and take it very easy with the drill.
    In fact the best way to drill multiple large holes is to use a router with a suitable template. ! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

recipio wrote: »
    Don't confuse speed with torque. A 30mm bit should be run at about 500 rpm and most pillar drills will get up to 2000 easily.
    I'd invest in a quality bit ( preferably German made ) and take it very easy with the drill.
    In fact the best way to drill multiple large holes is to use a router with a suitable template. ! :pac:

Thanks for this. I may look at the router option fir this need

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

If itss an aldi or lidl forstner bit, throw it in the bin, pronto.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,621 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Often when I'm using forstner bits (which is usually on the lathe) I would start small, and drill two or three times. Probably easier on a lathe than with a pillar drill though.

• Advertisement

A sharp forstner bit removes material with nice clean shavings, and minimum effort.

A blunt bit would require the strength of popeye, and an endless supply of spinach:D

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭chillyspoon

recipio wrote: »

+1 - it's all about the speed/torque ratio. Even if you're stuck with a low power drill press dump the speed right down and go slowly through the wood; it'll take ages but it won't burn out the forstner bit in one go.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,621 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

isn't it the issue with a lot of standard DC motors that they only put out the rated power at full speed? that if you lower the speed, you also lower the power and thus the torque?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Seems to be a decent bit, can’t remember where I got it. But any recommendations on bits ?

Sounds like I need to find a sweet spot for the power and torque and work from there

As I think about it, why does the power drill get through it no problem but the pillar drill doesn’t?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

What speed are you running the pillar drill at, the higher the speed the lower the power / torque. You will get a good Forster bit in the Carpentry store, or Tool equip, both near you in Naas, if the bit you have is a decent one, get a set of micro files and sharpen it.

• Advertisement

Give us a picture of the cutting edge of the bit. Then we can tell how good or bad it is.

Power drill should be plenty for a good bit. I have often bored kitchen door hinges with a
    proper forstner bit into oak. I would suspect the bit. It should be able to break skin
    if you feel the cutting edge of the bit with your finger while holding the bit in your hand.

If it doesn't, its not sharp.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Colt and Fisch are good bits made in Germany and Austria. However if you have a lot of drilling to do consider buying a TCT tipped bit from www.wealdentool.com ( before Brexit :pac:) They are about the same price amazingly and will last forever.

Advertisement