Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hour-long classes for non-practical subjects

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,476 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Not what happened where i teach.

The union is not some abstract entity. It is the members of staff coming together with a united front backed up with good advice from the TUi on what the relevant circulars permit.
    We told management that we'd happily revert to 40 minutes if they were so insistent on getting to 21h 20m.
    Guess what; they retained 1 hour classes and we just teach 21 periods, no fillers added in.

You're lucky

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

Is any school where most students do 8 LC subjects also doing 1-hour-long classes? Is it more difficult to timetable that length when there are 8 subjects?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

1hr is the only way to go. Too much messing around and missed class time with the 40mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Snodge

Interested in hearing experiences of home Ec teachers currently teaching the 1 hour classes. How are you managing practical cookery classes?

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭thegreatescape

Snodge wrote: »
    Interested in hearing experiences of home Ec teachers currently teaching the 1 hour classes. How are you managing practical cookery classes?

Have done this before the pandemic. Recipes have to be picked that can be prepared, cooked and clean up done within the hour. For more complex dishes that require pastry making, pastry can be made in one hour class and the dish made in another hour on the timetable.

The issue the pandemic has made more difficult is teachers moving around classrooms this year, so I don't have access to the kitchen for all of my classes. Myself and the other Home Economics teachers have to schedule when we'll get access to the kitchen for practical classes on a rotation basis.

• Advertisement
Advertisement