Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Illegal immigrants are heroes - the Irish Times reaches peak virtue signalling

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

tdf7187 wrote: »
    The article complains about a detainee being harassed by other detainees when in a shared cell. So solitary confinement is a good thing, yeah?

The liberals and social justice warrior brigade cannot have it both ways.

Indeed....perhaps a photo of the Dochás "solitary" confinement cell might be appropriate here ?

http://www.irishprisons.ie/prison/dochas-centre/

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭V8 Interceptor

I'm glad I reached your post before I read the article. Looks like my subconscious defense mechanism to not waste time on these links kicked in appropriately.

I recall Ms Pollak once proudly saying how she attacked two elderly women having a private conversation on public transport bemoaning how Ireland had changed so suddenly and not to their liking.

One may not like other's opinions but it says something when someone not only feels they have the right to chastise senior citizens but feel confident enough to write an article in a daily newspaper boasting of it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I doubt she'd be nearly as brave challenging a pair of hairy arsed builders expressing the same views.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

If you bothered reading my post you'd see that I said I have no issue with the decision, it's the way people are treated.
    That would be my take too. I have zero issue with border and immigration control, indeed would be far happier if it were increased, but it's how it's done is the thing in this case. And how variable it seems to be. Airport arrivals seem to be low hanging fruit to me.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭V8 Interceptor

AlekSmart wrote: »
    I still do regard the Irish Times as a valuable and trustworthy source of News & Information ;)
    :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Wibbs wrote: »
    I doubt she'd be nearly as brave challenging a pair of hairy arsed builders expressing the same views.

Ah I dunno...she writ a buke about the forreners it seems..."New to the Country"

She is continuing a family Journalistic streak,with he Da being Andy Pollack,late of the Irish Times and her Ma,Doireann Ni Bhrian of Telefís Eireann fame.

Sorcha is also well travelled,and experienced in looking after deprived foreign folk from across a broad swathe of the exotic foreign World

https://ie.linkedin.com/in/sorchapollak

All far from the leafy environs of Muckross Park.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Jimi H

I do feel people should be treated fairly when they arrive but I have to say the standard of journalism seems to be declining. An article like that leaves more questions than answers and the reader seemingly has to fill in the blanks. Anyway, nothing to get angry about. Time for a beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Getoffmytrain

Dublin airport immigration has been a disaster since they civilianised it. The Gardaí stopped far less people when they were in charge, as they were looking for criminal elements and not young people to harass.
    Nearly every case that has made it to Court has resulted in a rebuke for the department but they continue to ignore the problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,722 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Dublin airport immigration has been a disaster since they civilianised it. The Gardaí stopped far less people when they were in charge, as they were looking for criminal elements and not young people to harass.
    Nearly every case that has made it to Court has resulted in a rebuke for the department but they continue to ignore the problems.

Not sure its civilians fault but rather intel has been greatly enhanced in recent years and has detected lots of well known scams/illegal entry.

English language schools were exposed as an illegal immigration entry into Ireland and resulted in a clamp down.

Considering over 15 million pass though immigration in DUB, not many are "detained".

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

I'm confused.

What's the point you are trying to make OP?

The OP didn't read the article.

That's probably where the confusion arose

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,855 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Even so, solitary confinement!?

There are a lot of people far more deserving in this country of solitary confinement!

Recklessly OTT in my opinion.

If it was someone that you knew, would you prefer that they were put into solitary confinement or locked up with the general prison population?

Lets be realistic, lady who's Belgian or whatever visa was just about to expire, rocks up to the immigration desk on 2nd July, in the middle of a pandemic/lockdown and says "hi, let me in. I'm going to enroll later in a language school". Sure there were none open.

The page I linked to earlier clearly says

You must enroll on and pay for your course of study (in full) before you travel to Ireland.

Here is a document with all the requirements
    Whether the student spends their time in study, playing golf or touring is not particularly relevant. What is important is;

(a) The stated reason for their visit is credible;

(b) The student/tourist has a return flight and leaves at the end of their stay;

(c) They can support themselves while here;

(d) They obey the law;

(e) They do not engage in work, and

(f) They are covered by private medical insurance.

Therefore it is proposed that applications from students who can demonstrate that they are enrolled on a short term language course of less than 90 days and that they have paid the course fees in full, will now be treated as educational tourists.

Who really thinks it was credible that she was landing on 2nd July, intending to sign up to a language school? I don't. I'm sure she meant no harm and she probably would have gotten away with it in normal times but it would have been difficult to give her the benefit of the doubt when the immigration officer would have known that everything was closed down indefinitely at that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,682 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Ah I dunno...she writ a buke about the forreners it seems..."New to the Country"

She is continuing a family Journalistic streak,with he Da being Andy Pollack,late of the Irish Times and her Ma,Doireann Ni Bhrian of Telefís Eireann fame.

Sorcha is also well travelled,and experienced in looking after deprived foreign folk from across a broad swathe of the exotic foreign World

Just from reading that she did 1 month in morning ireland.

Wonder what the story there is

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭francois

Another strawman wearily appears on boards

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

Ah yes, well four legs good, two legs bad. Nepotism is bad everywhere except in the Irish Times/RTE circle of weasel. It's ok when we do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Getoffmytrain

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Not sure its civilians fault but rather intel has been greatly enhanced in recent years and has detected lots of well known scams/illegal entry.

English language schools were exposed as an illegal immigration entry into Ireland and resulted in a clamp down.

Considering over 15 million pass though immigration in DUB, not many are "detained".

The point is Gardaí were keen to stop criminal elements, so prison wasn't seen as inappropriate as it is now.
    Language school students are hardly a threat to the security of the state, which is meant to be the reason to stop them.

Still that's hardly the issue, sending non criminal people to prison is.
    In 2015, when the change happened they said they would build a detention centre in the airport for people to wait in before they would be returned to their country of origin. The UK have facilities like these which are more like hostels than prisons, but they didn't bother.

Demanding to see the content of peoples phones and not giving them legal representation or written reasons for refusal makes it look like there's something rotten in the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

CountNjord wrote: »
    I remember when the Irish times was a paper of intelligence, now they applaud negligence...

Conservative hippy here ;)

Editor is a pretentious git who thinks he is the Irish Sartre.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭d15ude

Who really thinks it was credible that she was landing on 2nd July, intending to sign up to a language school? I don't. I'm sure she meant no harm and she probably would have gotten away with it in normal times but it would have been difficult to give her the benefit of the doubt when the immigration officer would have known that everything was closed down indefinitely at that time.

Language schools were open during the lockdown using online learning methods.

d15ude wrote: »
    Language schools were open during the lockdown using online learning methods.

No need to move here currently then is there?

You can normally move to a place to mingle and practice the language. Which you can't do when under lockdown.

The visa free scheme is for 90 days as long as you have your tuition already booked and paid for. Someone landing in at start of July 2020 realistically isn't being serious. Especially with nothing booked.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭Gervais08

No need to move here currently then is there?

You can normally move to a place to mingle and practice the language. Which you can't do when under lockdown.

The visa free scheme is for 90 days as long as you have your tuition already booked and paid for. Someone landing in at start of July 2020 realistically isn't being serious. Especially with nothing booked.

I would never give a visa to anyone coming to a language school - too easy for fraud and genuine learners can find other ways to learn. Like online.

Gervais08 wrote: »
    I would never give a visa to anyone coming to a language school - too easy for fraud and genuine learners can find other ways to learn. Like online.

I wouldn't be against genuine ones at all. There would be plenty of genuine ones. I think they tightened up on the language schools back a decade ago because at that time some were (allegedly) springing up as vehicles for bringing in cheap labour - the "student" could legally work 20 hours a week or something like that.

Someone arriving in the middle of a lockdown though with no booking or fees paid - not plausible IMO. If it had been someone who had organised and paid 6 months earlier, before corona, and couldn't get refund of their fees or flights then I'd have sympathy for them.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭Gervais08

I wouldn't be against genuine ones at all. There would be plenty of genuine ones. I think they tightened up on the language schools back a decade ago because at that time some were (allegedly) springing up as vehicles for bringing in cheap labour - the "student" could legally work 20 hours a week or something like that.

Someone arriving in the middle of a lockdown though with no booking or fees paid - not plausible IMO. If it had been someone who had organised and paid 6 months earlier, before corona, and couldn't get refund of their fees or flights then I'd have sympathy for them.

Fair points tbh!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,493 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Gervais08 wrote: »

It’s better ok to learn a language in a city and county where you can immerse yourself in the language being spoken. I learned French in school and college and then lived and worked over there which was fine... EU to EU and I was given nominal yet valuable work experience in an EU organization with costs covered by my low wages ie. accommodation and living expenses... then I went home.

You can learn English in and city in the world, again, better to immerse yourself where it’s spoken but if you have no right to do that... tough.

Advertisement