Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Congratulations to our Minister for Justice, Helen McEntee!!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Solutionking

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Nope SK.
    Just pointing out the normality of the story. Working mother gets pregs.

No bitterness at all.

It's a good news story, are the press not allowed report that anymore?

If you have no interest in it then why bother posting?

Ran and deleted your post SK?

Hardly running, as it is good news didn't want to bother.

But continue on complaining because a news paper had the cheek to write a story about a female TD

• Registered Users Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

It's a good news story, are the press not allowed report that anymore?

If you have no interest in it then why bother posting?

You're deciding now what people post?

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭mickuhaha

No body gives a toss about her personal life. Do the job you have, take your leave when you choose to and then come back and do your job.

You're deciding now what people post?

No.
    Congrats Helen.....best of luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

mickuhaha wrote: »
    No body gives a toss about her personal life. Do the job you have, take your leave when you choose to and then come back and do your job.

She's perfectly entitled to announce that she's pregnant on social media, just like any other woman would do.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

As though the criminal ‘justice’ system wasn’t already dysfunctional enough - now we will have an absentee justice minister or at best when she returns and entirely distracted and sleep deprived one clockwatching to get home to her newborn.

Congrats to the happy couple but this is entirely why senior posts should not be given to women of childbearing age or with young families or planning to start one.
    sabat wrote: »
    How does he know she's the first pregnant minister? Did he call around all the others to check whether they had miscarriages or abortions?

Mod:

Don't post in this thread again - this is not acceptable

• Registered Users Posts: 86,757 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Hope it all goes well for her

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Woman is pregnant.
    Makes news.
    McMurphy wrote: »
    That baby will make a great judge in the supreme court some day Helen.

Well, well, well, can’t say I am surprised by these responses, fits the profile.

I'm interested to know why getting pregnant is a great thing for women in leadership positions and what it does to further women's rights.

The fact that it is the first time a woman holding ministerial office has become pregnant is important to show young women that it is possible to have a career at the very top and build a family at the same time. That is a really important example.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Wow.

This makes news

• Advertisement

blanch152 wrote: »
    Well, well, well, can’t say I am surprised by these responses, fits the profile.

The fact that it is the first time a woman holding ministerial office has become pregnant is important to show young women that it is possible to have a career at the very top and build a family at the same time. That is a really important example.

We have had two women presidents.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭mickuhaha

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    She's perfectly entitled to announce that she's pregnant on social media, just like any other woman would do.

I never said she is not entitled to do so. She can if she wants. I said no body gives a toss. Just do your job. But to note, the independent is linked as well. So not just on social media.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

We should be ok for maternity cover.

I assume the junior minister will step up

Couple of trolls already on the Twitter announcement.

One person saying too many women shouldn't be in government together because they could all get pregnant together :rolleyes:
    I seriously do think we need a review of the education system in Ireland. It just ain't working

We have had two women presidents.

Not the issue, in both those cases, they had their family before attaining senior public office.

This is actually a big deal for the pursuit of gender equality showing young women that it isn’t family first or family later only, it can be family at the same time. The demonstrative effect could be huge, so long as misogynistic dismissal of it is minimised.

Not sure of the dates , but Marie Geoghsn Quin had a child around 1979/1980. She was a junior minister in 79, senior minister in 80?

Couple of trolls already on the Twitter announcement.

One person saying too many women shouldn't be in government together because they could all get pregnant together :rolleyes:
    I seriously do think we need a review of the education system in Ireland. It just ain't working

At one level I am astonished at the ignorant misogyny being displayed about this because it really is big news, at the same time I am not surprised, given where it is coming from.

It is bad enough that it has taken 100 years of the state for this to happen, without those type of responses to it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭V8 Interceptor

How long is she going to go AWOL for?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,215 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

How long is she going to go AWOL for?

I'd guess 18mts, she should go now, I wouldn't take the risk hanging around chin strap Leo & Co with flowers in the window.

Hardly 18 months. But seriously, even if its a few months, how can someone be appointed to such an office if they're going to leave it for prolonged periods of time?

• Advertisement

Hardly 18 months. But seriously, even if its a few months, how can someone be appointed to such an office if they're going to leave it for prolonged periods of time?

Unbelievable. She is entitled to maternity leave, this happens regularly in Scandinavian countries and the politicians get maternity leave and are temporarily replaced as in all work situations.

Flabbergasted that some people think this makes her unsuitable for appointment.

• Registered Users Posts: 56,286 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Delighted for her. Wonderful news..

• Registered Users Posts: 28,215 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

18mts probably back for 6 then off again if they decide to strike while the irons hot.
    Fair play to her, once there's someone to step in while she's on maternity what about it. I'd like to see Michael McNamara get the gig.

18mts probably back for 6 then off again if they decide to strike while the irons hot.
    Fair play to her, once there's someone to step in while she's on maternity what about it. I'd like to see Michael McNamara get the gig.

Mc Namara the Indo TD?

• Registered Users Posts: 56,286 ✭✭✭✭walshb

If this thread has reinforced anything, it’s what I always felt..lack of simple kindness and decency in society..

Some posters can’t even bring themselves to congratulate the woman and wish her all the best on what is the best natural news to most people. It is, after all, why we’re all here..

Unbelievable. She is entitled to maternity leave, this happens regularly in Scandinavian countries and the politicians get maternity leave and are temporarily replaced as in all work situations. Flabbergasted that some people think this makes her unsuitable for appointment.

The days that Scandinavian Countries were held up as a model have long gone I'm afraid.

Does it make any difference what the prolonged period of time off is taken for?

The outcome is the same. The post, in this case an extremely important one, is vacated.

walshb wrote: »
    If this thread has reinforced anything, it’s what I always felt..lack of simple kindness and decency in society..

Some posters can’t even bring themselves to congratulate the woman and wish her all the best on what is the best natural news to most people. It is, after all, why we’re all here..

Why would we congratulate her in here?

Is she a Boardsie?

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭THE_SHEEP

Congrats and the best of luck to her .

( P.s Nice to hear she got a good " Rub of the Relic " ).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Yes. No children of child bearing age should be put in any senior roles in government or any other organisation for that matter.

Seriously?

• Advertisement

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    Yes. No children of child bearing age should be put in any senior roles in government or any other organisation for that matter.

Seriously?

Deadly serious.

Advertisement