Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Congratulations to our Minister for Justice, Helen McEntee!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Hardly 18 months. But seriously, even if its a few months, how can someone be appointed to such an office if they're going to leave it for prolonged periods of time?

Yes how could Jacinda Ardern make it as NZ prime minister. The country went completely downhill while she was prime minister and young mother... Oh wait she was just reelected so she must have done something right..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,601 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Deadly serious.

I don’t disagree with you. I understand the point you are making..

Just in today’s world this point-discussion is a no go area!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭V8 Interceptor

walshb wrote: »
    I don’t disagree with you. I understand the point you are making. Just in today’s world this lint/discussion is a no go area!

No discussion should be a no go area Sir. Once you set foot into that territory as a society you're finished.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Solutionking

If this thread has reinforced anything, it’s what I always felt..lack of simple kindness and decency in society..

Some posters can’t even bring themselves to congratulate the woman and wish her all the best on what is the best natural news to most people. It is, after all, why we’re all here..

TO be fair it is limited to the few who once the thread was created you would have good odds on them posting and posting not something nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,325 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Mc Namara the Indo TD?

It would be no harm have an independent minister for justice at the moment and he's got the right experience.

• Advertisement

Hardly 18 months. But seriously, even if its a few months, how can someone be appointed to such an office if they're going to leave it for prolonged periods of time?

Women take maternity leave from work all the time, what is your issue with this woman?

bubblypop wrote: »
    Women take maternity leave from work all the time, what is your issue with this woman?

She's the Minister for Justice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Solutionking

And?

And what? That's a job.

Work it out guys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭tomwaits48

So? The whole department won’t be taking maternity leave .

Work it out guys.

Why don't you spell it out?
    What is your problem with this woman having a baby and taking maternity leave as she would In any job?
    Maybe you don't think women should work.....

She's not working in a laundrette, a chinese takeaway, an admin job or teaching kids.

She's the minister for justice of the Country. Yes???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

If this thread has reinforced anything, it’s what I always felt..lack of simple kindness and decency in society..

Some posters can’t even bring themselves to congratulate the woman and wish her all the best on what is the best natural news to most people. It is, after all, why we’re all here..

do you know what, I bet most posters here would actually congratulate her if they met her face to face. This is a major milestone in a young couple's life, I'm happy for them.

I'm sure mechanisms exist to accommodate her situation in work, and why not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 828 ✭✭✭hognef

The days that Scandinavian Countries were held up as a model have long gone I'm afraid.

The Irish model with the vast majority of political and organizational leaders being white, male and in their sixties is the right one, then, I presume?

White? Obviously. Male? That's up to how many women want to make those sacrifices. 60's? Don't know.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,026 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

She's not working in a laundrette, a chinese takeaway, an admin job or teaching kids.

She's the minister for justice of the Country. Yes???

Mod:

Let it go or don't post in this thread. There are laws regarding maternity leave in this country and it makes no difference what line of employment people have

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

McMurphy wrote: »
    That baby will make a great judge in the supreme court some day Helen.

Much like all the McMurphys will drive white vans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Tweet made by political correspondent Hugh O'Connell,

https://twitter.com/oconnellhugh/status/1335188725593231360

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/last-christmas-as-a-duo-helen-mcentee-announces-she-is-pregnant-39828894.html

A great day for women in leadership and women's rights.

Simon Harris is doing good work to encourage more female leadership in Irish parliament also.

Lawd knows it needs it.

But isn't she the woman placed a pal of Leo's in a top judiciary position? We don't need more women like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Gardesana Pecher

There should be maternity leave for TD's but there should be someone to step in as replacement. How that would work for elected representatives I dont know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,003 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

Considering she is not entitled to full pay maternity leave as a serving minister , hope she has deep pockets. Will she will pull the auld "sick cert" routine like the previous pregnant TD's?

To be fair, nobody in the Dail will be on the tinned sardines on toast anytime soon.

There should be maternity leave for TD's but there should be someone to step in as replacement. How that would work for elected representatives I dont know.

Not all jobs have maternity cover. There is a junior minister I'm sure?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭kravmaga

Tweet made by political correspondent Hugh O'Connell,

https://twitter.com/oconnellhugh/status/1335188725593231360

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/last-christmas-as-a-duo-helen-mcentee-announces-she-is-pregnant-39828894.html

A great day for women in leadership and women's rights.

Simon Harris is doing good work to encourage more female leadership in Irish parliament also.

Lawd knows it needs it.

Why?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

bubblypop wrote: »
    Not all jobs have maternity cover. There is a junior minister I'm sure?

There is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 961 ✭✭✭gingernut79

Ministers resigned /lost party whip in past and I think roles were absorbed into Dept of Taoiseach. Bound to be something in place for TDs on unexpected illness / absence.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

The oddballs of the internet spitting fire from their hermitages of unwilling chastity because a relatively successful woman is pregnant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,015 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

It's great news for her and congratulations, I actually think she's doing a good job but...... The maternity leave nonsense

The maternity entitlement band wagon has left the station and already up in arms.

Fair enough, no such entitlement appears to be available to TD"S, but I wonder can the excitable brigade enlighten us as to how many TD'S have lost a cent in pay for either maternity leave, sickness, absence of any sort whilst I'm at it.

It's simply absurd to compare well paid TD'S and the average tax paying parent who does get maternity leave but at a fraction of their Salary and that's if they've an employer offering a scheme. Much more mothers completely depend on a pittance from SW.

A TD could if they wanted to take a full year off with not A cent deducted from their salary, hell they coukd take off their entire elected term off without any loss in earnings, it mighten help their relection prospects though, So a little contex and objectivity. I'm not say its right re politicians and Maternity leave, just pointing out they are at no disadvantage if truth be known.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭bo0li5eumx12kp

kravmaga wrote: »
    Why?

That will be made abundantly clear to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 828 ✭✭✭hognef

Dempo1 wrote: »
    It's great news for her and congratulations, I actually think she's doing a good job but...... The maternity leave nonsense

The maternity entitlement band wagon has left the station and already up in arms.

Fair enough, no such entitlement appears to be available to TD"S, but I wonder can the excitable brigade enlighten us as to how many TD'S have lost a cent in pay for either maternity leave, sickness, absence of any sort whilst I'm at it.

It's simply absurd to compare well paid TD'S and the average tax paying parent who does get maternity leave but at a fraction of their Salary and that's if they've an employer offering a scheme. Much more mothers completely depend on a pittance from SW.

A TD could if they wanted to take a full year off with not A cent deducted from their salary, hell they coukd take off their entire elected term off without any loss in earnings, it mighten help their relection prospects though, So a little contex and objectivity. I'm not say its right re politicians and Maternity leave, just pointing out they are at no disadvantage if truth be known.

Do you think perhaps having more women of childbearing age in the Dail might increase the likelihood of improvements to maternity leave and other family friendly benefits offered to the "average tax paying parents"?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,015 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

hognef wrote: »
    Do you think perhaps having more women of childbearing age in the Dail might increase the likelihood of improvements to maternity leave and other family friendly benefits offered to the "average tax paying parents"?

Not at all sure what point your trying to make, read my post again, compare if you will a highly paid politician struggling with maternity leave & pay to that of the average working mother, my point and clearly missed by you is the fact there is no comparison and the notion hard pressed TDs need additional benefits is a nonsense. A femaleTD has absolutely no fear or concern of loss of income through maternity leave and can certainly dictate how much time off they need, not luxuries average mums have.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

Advertisement