Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Congratulations to our Minister for Justice, Helen McEntee!!

Options

Comments

Dempo1 wrote: »
    Not at all sure what point your trying to make, read my post again, compare if you will a highly paid politician struggling with maternity leave & pay to that of the average working mother, my point and clearly missed by you is the fact there is no comparison and the notion hard pressed TDs need additional benefits is a nonsense. A femaleTD has absolutely no fear or concern of loss of income through maternity leave and can certainly dictate how much time off they need, not luxuries average mums have.

But politicians don't get maternity leave. It's nothing to do with money. There is no maternity, or paternity leave for TDs

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭hognef

Not at all sure what point your trying to make, read my post again, compare if you will a highly paid politician struggling with maternity leave & pay to that of the average working mother, my point and clearly missed by you is the fact there is no comparison and the notion hard pressed TDs need additional benefits is a nonsense. A femaleTD has absolutely no fear or concern of loss of income through maternity leave and can certainly dictate how much time off they need, not luxuries average mums have.

No, that's fair, I obviously read your post wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,986 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

bubblypop wrote: »
    But politicians don't get maternity leave. It's nothing to do with money. There is no maternity, or paternity leave for TDs

I fully understand that, my point is they can and do just take it, what's to stop them? Absolutely nothing and furthermore they loose absolutely no pay and in essence can if desired take as much time as they want. I'm not begrudging them, I just don't get this narrative that some how politicians are disadvantaged, its a nonsense.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

hognef wrote: »
    No, that's fair, I obviously read your post wrong.

I'm just pointing out that is unfair to suggest politicians somehow are disadvantaged when it comes to maternity leave, they are not. If it was the case a TD was at any loss for time taken off etc, I'd be arguing for equity but TD'S loose nothing and have far more resources to hand to cover any ansence, such as well funded constituency offices, staff, parliamentary expenses etc, whilst loosing no pay while absent . Just my humble opinion I might add.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,582 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

McEntee is one of the more likeable TDs and she shouldn't be trolled just because she shared the news on social media.

But I don't think there is some big conspiracy out there to stop women TDs and Ministers having a kid.

• Advertisement

How long is she going to go AWOL for?

She won't be absent without leave at all.

She will be absent on maternity leave.

Congratulations to the Minister and her husband.

I fully understand that, my point is they can and do just take it, what's to stop them? Absolutely nothing and furthermore they loose absolutely no pay and in essence can if desired take as much time as they want. I'm not begrudging them, I just don't get this narrative that some how politicians are disadvantaged, its a nonsense.

What do you mean they can just take it?
    They can't take it because it doesn't exist!

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭hognef

But I don't think there is some big conspiracy out there to stop women TDs and Ministers having a kid.

There's no conspiracy, but it's quite clear that there aren't very many women TDs and Ministers of childbearing age in the first place. So surely it's good to show that it's actually possible to have a child while in office?

Unless, of course, we're happy to continue on with "representatives" that clearly don't mirror the people that they allegedly "represent".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

Kivaro wrote: »
    Congratulations to the couple, but women's rights?
    Jesus wept.

Many of our mothers would have had to abandon their careers due to the Marriage Bar. It might not be significant to you, but it is significant for them.

Don't be so narrow-minded to think that unless something affects you personally that it's not important.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,719 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

As though the criminal ‘justice’ system wasn’t already dysfunctional enough - now we will have an absentee justice minister or at best when she returns and entirely distracted and sleep deprived one clockwatching to get home to her newborn.

Congrats to the happy couple but this is entirely why senior posts should not be given to women of childbearing age or with young families or planning to start one.

You know what.... I am glad someone posted this..because we have to recognise the outright misogyny by some people online.

The stuff that is being written by some on Social Media about McEntee is disgusting, many of them would classify themselves as 'left-wing' or 'Irish Republicans'...
    Let me honest here, she, being a member of FG also has a bearing on the hate expressed by some online.

We think we are soooo much better than the UK or the USA in how we conduct ourselves, but I say no, we are just as bad sometimes when it comes to this mindless stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,719 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

walshb wrote: »
    If this thread has reinforced anything, it’s what I always felt..lack of simple kindness and decency in society..

Some posters can’t even bring themselves to congratulate the woman and wish her all the best on what is the best natural news to most people. It is, after all, why we’re all here..

This....

You can tell a lot by the responses of some of the posters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭Daragh1980

Someone was tweeting REPEAL THE 8TH in response to the news. No need for that

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Will this distract from her incompetence and inability to answer questions honestly and within a reasonable timeframe.

And tbh putting it out as news does no woman justice. It's happening all over, nothing to see here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

And tbh putting it out as news does no woman justice. It's happening all over, nothing to see here.

She literally posted a one liner and a picture on instagram, like any other woman excited to announce her pregnancy would do. Not her fault if media picks up on it and decides to run a story on it.

What do you mean they can just take it?
    They can't take it because it doesn't exist!

Take as in take whatever amount of time she and any other politician can without any loss of Salary, it's really not that difficult to comprehend. Whilst I accept there's no maternity leave applicable to politicians, unlike other new mothers, they don't require Maternity leave and all its entitlements, benifits, they just take the time off without loss of earnings etc and as I've stated clearly, elected politicians have far less to worry about, namely continuing FUL salary, taxpayer funded Constituency office staff to cover any absence and generous Daill communication budgets.

Most (unelected or non political) new Mum have none of these supports and unless employer has a scheme in place, they are totally relying on a SW payment that probably wouldn't cover a third of their salaries.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,555 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Best of luck to them, a very difficult job anyway, and now juggling a child, very stressful indeed

Take as in take whatever amount of time she and any other politician can without any loss of Salary, it's really not that difficult to comprehend. Whilst I accept there's no maternity leave applicable to politicians, unlike other new mothers, they don't require Maternity leave and all its entitlements, benifits, they just take the time off without loss of earnings etc and as I've stated clearly, elected politicians have far less to worry about, namely continuing FUL salary, taxpayer funded Constituency office staff to cover any absence and generous Daill communication budgets.

Most (unelected or non political) new Mum have none of these supports and unless employer has a scheme in place, they are totally relying on a SW payment that probably wouldn't cover a third of their salaries.

So you're suggesting that she just takes all the time off she wants, for as long as she wants?
    That she will not need to go to work at anytime over the few months she just takes off?
    It's not real time off if she is always on call or is under pressure to work whenever something happens.
    Any kind of issues at all, the opposition wouldn't be long looking for her to be back in the Dail. That's not maternity leave and it's not good enough for a new parent, no matter what their job is.

What are you talking about? do you understand how maternity leave works?

If course I do, what's your question

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Solutionking

If course I do, what's your question

She can take off as long as she wants. If she wants to take unpaid leave at the end then yes she should be allowed.
    Why would she need to go back to work? if the opposition do start to question then it just will confirm what a shower of bold people they are. Trying to be nice.

She can take off as long as she wants. If she wants to take unpaid leave at the end then yes she should be allowed.
    Why would she need to go back to work? if the opposition do start to question then it just will confirm what a shower of bold people they are. Trying to be nice.

There is no maternity leave for TDs.
    None.

• Advertisement

hognef wrote: »
    There's no conspiracy, but it's quite clear that there aren't very many women TDs and Ministers of childbearing age in the first place. So surely it's good to show that it's actually possible to have a child while in office?

Unless, of course, we're happy to continue on with "representatives" that clearly don't mirror the people that they allegedly "represent".

Thats easily fixed.
    Vote for them

So you're suggesting that she just takes all the time off she wants, for as long as she wants?
    That she will not need to go to work at anytime over the few months she just takes off?
    It's not real time off if she is always on call or is under pressure to work whenever something happens.
    Any kind of issues at all, the opposition wouldn't be long looking for her to be back in the Dail. That's not maternity leave and it's not good enough for a new parent, no matter what their job is.

I'm not at suggesting she takes whatever amount of time she wants, I'm suggesting SHE CAN, unlike most new mothers. I'm not sure what part of my point, namely Politicians who have a baby, have choices with ZERO loss of earnings, that most new mother don't, they furthermore don't have restrictions on time off as other mum do. I'm simply point out, that requirement of Maternity Leave for Politicians is Mute, they simply don't require it in Law, they can pretty much do as they please. It is simply a fact that TD'S loose no salary or benefits if they need to take time off, for whatever reason.

Again, if they were at a loss, I'd be the first arguing for implementation of politicians maternity leave but they are not in the slightest bit disadvantaged over others, indeed I suggest they are at a much greater advantage.

There is no maternity leave for TDs.
    None.

They don't require it, they can and do take whatever time is necessary and don't need to bother worrying about salary or applying for maternity benifits.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

They don't require it, they can and do take whatever time is necessary and don't need to bother worrying about salary or applying for maternity benifits.

Yeah, look at Dara Murphy, he wasn't even pregnant and he got extended full maternity leave/pay.

markodaly wrote: »
    This....

You can tell a lot by the responses of some of the posters.

No need for any nastiness towards the woman, but she's pregnant? Great I hope her and her partner and new baby have a wonderful healthy future together.

However, while you're discussing certain "responses" towards the news, one of the most nasty and crass comments I have seen online anywhere came from a political party founded by ex FG stock (one of their own so to speak) the comments below it rightly condemning it, come from all sorts, many including Sinn Fein members.

I'll just leave this here.

https://twitter.com/RENUAIreland/status/1335262239893368834?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Melanchthon

I'm not at suggesting she takes whatever amount of time she wants, I'm suggesting SHE CAN, unlike most new mothers. I'm not sure what part of my point, namely Politicians who have a baby, have choices with ZERO loss of earnings, that most new mother don't, they furthermore don't have restrictions on time off as other mum do. I'm simply point out, that requirement of Maternity Leave for Politicians is Mute, they simply don't require it in Law, they can pretty much do as they please. It is simply a fact that TD'S loose no salary or benefits if they need to take time off, for whatever reason.

Again, if they were at a loss, I'd be the first arguing for implementation of politicians maternity leave but they are not in the slightest bit disadvantaged over others, indeed I suggest they are at a much greater advantage.

Yeah the maternity pay thing is a bit of a red herring, being a TD is very far from a normal job, actually is it even really a job as such in the first place as it's so different to other positions.

What is important is the function of TD's in the dail in particular voting, I presume the system works like in the UK where for important non paired votes MP's have recently had to hold of giving birth to vote, this isn't just a woman's /gender bias issue though , male MP's have literally been driven by an ambulance to the House of Commons to vote or been hauled in after quadruple bypass surgery.

Basically the comparison of TD's to normal roles doesn't make sense as it's so radically different, it doesn't mean that there isn't an issue here but since life threatening illness is also ignored in relation to representative role I don't think it's a gender issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Best of luck to her, a very responsible & challenging job anyway, and now juggling a child, very stressful indeed.

Always strikes me as being older & wiser than her years, a good head on her shoulders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭cannotlogin

Some of the posts here are completely sexist, misogynistic and belong in the dark ages.

It's news because she's the first woman in the dail to take maternity leave in office and hopefully it will pave the way for others to do it too.

There are significant studies done of the advantages of diversity and the benefits of a team with differing gender, race, religious, age, etc so we need to get away from the standard politician which is typically male only.

Why shouldn't she go on maternity leave? We certainly pay enough ministers and there's no shortage of people to step up and cover her absence. It's an opportunity for someone to show their abilities and they might get promoted on the back of it.

Do some posters not have mothers, sisters, wives, girlfriend's, female friends or what? It's unbelievable that women are still judged like this. What is a few months leave over a lifetime career and positive contribution? Women who get to higher positions work very hard to do so generally and have to overcome narrow minded sexism as exhibited by some posters to do so. I'm certainly not raging feminist but some of these posts are very pathetic.

It's always the same set of posters too, yet boards does nothing to stop them continually spewing their sexist trolling.

And are you suggesting that she would not be required to work?
    Of course she is.
    Defined maternity leave and paternity should be provided for all members of the dail

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I've been working a long time and its not all the unusual for someone to take extended time off.

We've had people leave to go back to study - I'm doing this myself at the moment, for accident or illness, to care for a sick or elderly relative and to travel. We have had at least one person take time off because of an adoption. They never get the same judgement that women who have a small baby get though. What do people expect a new mother to do with her baby and do they really think she is going to be physically and mentally able to work?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭bo0li5eumx12kp

Perhaps another interesting point of consideration in light of this is the fact of course that;

Helen currently hold pre-eminent authority when it comes to determining the future of situations like this,

3ZAqAak.png?1

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/disgust-as-jail-sentences-are-handed-to-sex-workers-one-of-them-pregnant-38197205.html

i.e.
    - We have Helen, born into privilege, who can announce a pregnancy and be congratulated by the entire country.
    - Vs a woman trying to earn a living, morally and ethically doing nothing wrong (apart from getting the feminists rustled), but gets thrown into prison, WHILST being pregnant, for her troubles.

And it's the former, that currently dictates the fate of the latter.

So maybe this emergence will bring her new perspective, especially in light of the upcoming law review by the department of justice, which will essentially determine the outcome of situations such as this in future.

Or will her moral agenda and self righteous grandeur continue to perpetuate this double standard based hypocrisy?

Advertisement