Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Congratulations to our Minister for Justice, Helen McEntee!!

Options

Comments

Perhaps another interesting point of consideration in light of this is the fact of course that;

Helen currently hold pre-eminent authority when it comes to determining the future of situations like this,

3ZAqAak.png?1

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/disgust-as-jail-sentences-are-handed-to-sex-workers-one-of-them-pregnant-38197205.html

i.e.
    - We have Helen, born into privilege, who can announce a pregnancy and be congratulated by the entire country.
    - Vs a woman trying to earn a living, morally and ethically doing nothing wrong, but gets thrown into prison, WHILST being pregnant, for her troubles.

And it's the former, that currently dictates the fate of the latter.

So maybe this emergence will bring her new perspective, especially in light of the upcoming law review by the department of justice, which will essentially determine the outcome of situations such as this in future.

Or will her moral agenda and self righteous grandeur continue to perpetuate this double standard based hypocrisy?

The minister for justice doesn't sentence people.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭bo0li5eumx12kp

bubblypop wrote: »
    The minister for justice doesn't sentence people.

On an individual basis, no.

But she determines what laws to pass, upon which sentencing is based.

In other words she condemns the fate of entire other generations from jump-street, whilst her own will continue to propagate with a series of silver spoons in their mouths.

And all is right with the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭McCrack

Best of luck to her, a very responsible & challenging job anyway, and now juggling a child, very stressful indeed.

Always strikes me as being older & wiser than her years, a good head on her shoulders.

She's out of her depth in justice

I dont think she is a good appointment at all

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

Perhaps another interesting point of consideration in light of this is the fact of course that;

Helen currently hold pre-eminent authority when it comes to determining the future of situations like this,

3ZAqAak.png?1

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/disgust-as-jail-sentences-are-handed-to-sex-workers-one-of-them-pregnant-38197205.html

i.e.
    - We have Helen, born into privilege, who can announce a pregnancy and be congratulated by the entire country.
    - Vs a woman trying to earn a living, morally and ethically doing nothing wrong, but gets thrown into prison, WHILST being pregnant, for her troubles.

So maybe this emergence will bring her new perspective, especially in light of the upcoming law review by the department of justice, which will essentially determine the outcome of situations such as this in future.

Or will her moral agenda and self righteous grandeur continue to perpetuate this double standard based hypocrisy?

What do you think should of happened these two, law abiding tax paying workers. What should of been a fair penalty or outcome in your view.

What do you think should of happened these two, law abiding tax paying workers. What should of been a fair penalty or outcome in your view.

They can't pay tax cause revenue doesn't recognize sex work as a legitimate trade, by way of national policy, laid out by McEntee + friends.

There is no penalty, not for them.
    Unless there's coercion or malpractice at work - then it's just work.

The side at fault here are policy and law-makers like McEntee and her feminist cronies with all their self righteous propaganda and covert hypocrisies.

They were neither coerced nor coercing - they were practicing of their own volition to put food on the table, roof over their head - which unbeknownst to the likes of McEntee, Fitzgerald and all the other silver-spoon generation, isn't always handed to you on a plate along with an all expenses paid college education and right of passage into a privileged standard of living.

Yet they see fit to condemn those, oppress their trade, black ball and stigmatize, perpetuate criminality by forcing them into the hands of unscrupulous bottom feeders and exploitative capitalists - all whilst touting the complete fabrication that their primary "intention" is a "safer, healthier, more inclusive environment for all" ("subordinate clause - provided you don't put our noses out joint - and if you do, we'll criminalize you")

And now she has a baby on the way who's going to get the all expenses paid trip on the road of privilege, whilst her policies will support the likes of what we see in that article;

It's basically a feminist incarnation of "rich richer, poor poorer", "weak are there to justify the strong".

But in her mind it's, "trash are there to justify the privileged - so let's accentuate that, and who cares if human misery, suffering, and pregnant women being thrown in jail is the cost".

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭V8 Interceptor

eviltwin wrote: »
    I've been working a long time and its not all the unusual for someone to take extended time off.

We've had people leave to go back to study - I'm doing this myself at the moment, for accident or illness, to care for a sick or elderly relative and to travel. We have had at least one person take time off because of an adoption.

You obviously have a good job Miss. Most people in ordinary gigs would be laughed out of the office at such a request.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

There are significant studies done of the advantages of diversity and the benefits of a team with differing gender, race, religious, age, etc so we need to get away from the standard politician which is typically male only.

Significant ones you say? Do tell.

In other words she condemns the fate of entire other generations from jump-street, whilst her own will continue to propagate with a series of silver spoons in their mouths.

No she doesn't determine what laws to pass.
    I think you need to educate yourself as to how our government works

bubblypop wrote: »
    No she doesn't determine what laws to pass.
    I think you need to educate yourself as to how our government works

Why thank you kind sir.

I was completely unaware how bills and legislative procedure works.

But just as a matter of curiosity, on a bill of this nature - whom do you think would be responsible proposing its enactment?

It would hardly be, the minister for justice..... would it?

(forget the fact that she's currently conducting a highly biased review, having commissioned a radical feminist to do so, which will almost unquestionably provide a damning serious of reasons to self righteously exacerbate the matter further).

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

No, she doesn’t do that either, the Oireachtas decides which laws to pass.

• Advertisement

Why thank you kind sir.

I was completely unaware how bills and legislative procedure works.

But just as a matter of curiosity, on a bill of this nature - whom do you think would be responsible proposing its enactment?

It would hardly be, the minister for justice..... would it?

(forget the fact that she's currently conducting a highly biased review, having commissioned a radical feminist to do so, which will almost unquestionably provide a damning serious of reasons to self righteously exacerbate the matter further).

Any T.D. can propose a law.

McMurphy wrote: »
    Yeah, look at Dara Murphy, he wasn't even pregnant and he got extended full maternity leave/pay.

No need for any nastiness towards the woman, but she's pregnant? Great I hope her and her partner and new baby have a wonderful healthy future together.

However, while you're discussing certain "responses" towards the news, one of the most nasty and crass comments I have seen online anywhere came from a political party founded by ex FG stock (one of their own so to speak) the comments below it rightly condemning it, come from all sorts, many including Sinn Fein members.

I'll just leave this here.

https://twitter.com/RENUAIreland/status/1335262239893368834?s=19

You should look in the mirror and at your own posts on this thread first.

blanch152 wrote: »
    Any T.D. can propose a law.

If you're prepared to believe that any other T.D. than the acting minister for justice is either invested in, prepared to make a move on, or has the time, resources and delegation to address this issue, then I have this big red bridge in San Francisco to sell you.

Helen has already had the UCD feminist run group SERP (sexual exploitation research group) publish skewed and biased results, headed by Ruth Breslin - known radical feminist and former chair of radical feminist group Ruhama (the group responsible for enacting the initial 2017 criminalization law through their hand puppet at the time, Francis Fitzgerald, which resulted in violence against SW'ers skyrocketing).

It's all effectively a conspiracy of fabrications, skewed results and ultimately, lies - to justify her own ends (and the ends of historical Irish oppression, which she without the slightest doubt, resolutely adheres to).

She'll get the full backing of the house of the Oireachtas, as you can be sure there's just as many like minded hypocrites there who tout the same feel-good line, "safer, healthier, more inclusive environment for all", whilst their actions reflect something else entirely.

And our national culture will continue to be stuck in 16th century, relying on the good grace of the EU and multinational companies gracing our shores, until that gravy train runs out also and we're back to square one entirely.

Meanwhile Helens kids will get the all expenses paid trip to a privileged future and quality of living whilst the rest of the country pats her on the back for being a wonderful mum, and argues that she should be entitled to more maternity leave.

Sounds fair. :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

If you're prepared to believe that any other T.D. than the acting minister for justice is either invested in, prepared to make a move on, or has the time, resources and delegation to address this issue, then I have this big red bridge in San Francisco to sell you.

Helen has already had the UCD feminist run group SERP (sexual exploitation research group) publish skewed and biased results, headed by Ruth Breslin - known radical feminist and former chair of radical feminist group Ruhama (the group responsible for enacting the initial 2017 criminalization law through their hand puppet at the time, Francis Fitzgerald, which resulted in violence against SW'ers skyrocketing).

It's all effectively a conspiracy of fabrications, skewed results and ultimately, lies - to justify her own ends (and the ends of historical Irish oppression, which she without the slightest doubt, resolutely adheres to).

She'll get the full backing of the house of the Oireachtas, as you can be sure there's just as many like minded hypocrites there who tout the same feel-good line, "safer, healthier, more inclusive environment for all", whilst their actions reflect something else entirely.

And our national culture will continue to be stuck in 16th century, relying on the good grace of the EU and multinational companies gracing our shores, until that gravy train runs out also and we're back to square one entirely.

Meanwhile Helens kids will get the all expenses paid trip to a privileged future and quality of living whilst the rest of the country pats her on the back for being a wonderful mum, and argues that she should be entitled to more maternity leave.

Sounds fair. :rolleyes:
    Oh there is much to that, but her gender is a sideshow. She's just on the same gravy train adding more gravy as they go along as many, hell, most male politicians before her. The "feminism" bit is just another one of the ladles to be utilised.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

And of course the constituents cannot wait to re-elect her.

She gets F*cked and now it looks like she's going to f*ck the whole country over.

Thatch as thatch can!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

COnGrAtULAtioNs for doing what 130,000,000 women do every year, and have done since the year dot.

You'd swear she was going into the jungle to have it naturally they way people are going on. She'll be in some private hospital with the best of care, unlike the vast vast majority of women who give birth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

This thread is pure creepy.

First baby is a wonderful event - may she have the best of luck with it all. And hope she has loads of support on the home front like all the male politicians who have families.

Mrsmum wrote: »
    This thread is pure creepy.

First baby is a wonderful event - may she have the best of luck with it all. And hope she has loads of support on the home front like all the male politicians who have families.

Creepy is an understatement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭MontgomeryClift

https://www.businesspost.ie/ireland/minister-to-give-residency-permits-to-17000-migrants-063ebc66
    Helen McEntee, the Minister for Justice, is preparing to give residency permits to around 17,000 undocumented migrants in the largest “regularisation” scheme in the state’s history.

If there were a nation I considered my sworn enemy I would want it to have a female minister for justice.

There's a tendency to blame an abundance of "childless cat-ladies" for many of the woes of western civilisation, yet we have this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

https://www.businesspost.ie/ireland/minister-to-give-residency-permits-to-17000-migrants-063ebc66

If there were a nation I considered my sworn enemy I would want it to have a female minister for justice.

There's a tendency to blame an abundance of "childless cat-ladies" for many of the woes of western civilisation, yet we have this.

Pretty much telling the third world, come to Ireland, we'll never kick you out.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

old_aussie wrote: »
    And of course the constituents cannot wait to re-elect her.

She gets F*cked and now it looks like she's going to f*ck the whole country over.

Thatch as thatch can!

Mod:

Don't post in this thread again

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,640 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

3ZAqAak.png?1

i.e.
    - Vs a woman trying to earn a living, morally and ethically doing nothing wrong (apart from getting the feminists rustled), but gets thrown into prison, WHILST being pregnant, for her troubles.

So, now we get to the heart of the matter huh?

Take a day away from the forum and when you return do not post in this thread again

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭whippet

its threads like this and some of the stuff i've seen on social media which makes me wonder why anyone would want to put themselves forward for a life in politics.

Go off in to the private sector earn the same salary and not have faceless keyboard warriors scrutinize your private life to a level lower than a snake's belly.

This is a newsworthy item as she is the first minister to become pregnant while in office in Ireland. Unfortunately social media gives a platform to people who really shouldn't have any platform.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Invidious

whippet wrote: »
    This is a newsworthy item as she is the first minister to become pregnant while in office in Ireland.

I'm not seeing the "newsworthy" part.

Congratulations to Ms McEntee and her husband, but a 34-year-old woman becoming pregnant should not be be headline news in this day and age, regardless of her job.

Cabinet ministers becoming pregnant only reflects the tendency to put more younger people and more women in senior political posts. Until recently, a woman would have had to be well past her childbearing years before being considered for such a position. A Taoiseach in his 30s would also have been considered unthinkable.

Invidious wrote: »

Congratulations to Ms McEntee and her husband, but a 34-year-old woman becoming pregnant should not be be headline news in this day and age, regardless of her job.

Cabinet ministers becoming pregnant only reflects the tendency to put more younger people and more women in senior political posts. Until recently, a woman would have had to be well past her childbearing years before being considered for such a position. A Taoiseach in his 30s would also have been considered unthinkable.

Women succeeding in public life, while also being able to maintain a family is newsworthy. It shows that Ireland as a society has progressed and improved.

yes it should be newsworthy when that job does not allow her to take maternity leave which is the right of every other woman working in the state.

She is the first to become pregnant while in office - so yes it is newsworthy.

blanch152 wrote: »
    Women succeeding in public life, while also being able to maintain a family is newsworthy.

Plenty of women have succeeded in public life while maintaining families.

Also, it's not exactly a struggle to maintain a family on a ministerial salary.

Plenty of women have succeeded in public life while maintaining families.

Also, it's not exactly a struggle to maintain a family on a ministerial salary.

that isn't the newsworthy point - its the fact that there isn't maternity leave available to a government minister - in 2020 that seems insane.

this isn't about money - it's about the right to maternity leave that every other woman has. Can you at least acknowledge that ? or does it not suit your narrative?

whippet wrote: »
    that isn't the newsworthy point - its the fact that there isn't maternity leave available to a government minister - in 2020 that seems insane.

this isn't about money - it's about the right to maternity leave that every other woman has. Can you at least acknowledge that ? or does it not suit your narrative?

From the article linked in the OP:
    Ms McEntee's spokesperson later confirmed that the minister will go on maternity leave next year when her baby is born. “Minister McEntee will take a period of maternity leave next year to care for their baby," the spokesperson confirmed.

If she can't take maternity leave, why is her spokesperson stating that she will be going on maternity leave?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

While I consider McEntee a muppet on a few levels Whippet is 100% spot on. The fact that there isn't the provision of maternity leave for a minister is daft. Something I didn't know either. I assumed that laws around maternity leave would apply to all jobs and positions? It seems not.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Advertisement