Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Planning permission] Installing kitchen & washroom to upstairs of a 2 story house

• 05-12-2020 4:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi, do I need planning permission for installing a kitchen & a washroom to upstairs of a 2 story house?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

If you are in any way intending on subdividing the property, yes you do.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,614 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

thesheepo wrote: »
    Hi, do I need planning permission for installing a kitchen & a washroom to upstairs of a 2 story house?

Will this be an additional kitchen?
    What will it’s purpose be?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 thesheepo

BryanF wrote: »
    If you are in any way intending on subdividing the property, yes you do.
    If "subdividing the property" means registering it as 2 separate units for selling, or separating ownership, etc. then no, I'm not planning to do that if it's not required legally.
    Gumbo wrote: »
    Will this be an additional kitchen?
    What will it’s purpose be?

Yes, it's adding an additional kitchen and an additional washroom.
    I'm considering buying a house to do this and rent out one floor and I will be staying in the other floor.

The main purpose is for having privacy between me and tenant, nothing else.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,704 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

If "subdividing the property" means registering it as 2 separate units for selling, or separating ownership, etc. then no, I'm not planning to do that if it's not required legally.

Yes, it's adding an additional kitchen and an additional washroom.
    I'm considering buying a house to do this and rent out one floor and I will be staying in the other floor.

The main purpose is for having privacy between me and tenant, nothing else.

(probably) requires planning permission, full 'opt in' BCAS, fire safety certificate and disabled access certificate.

planning will need to show compliance with minimum standards for housing units including floor areas, room areas, refuse storage parking, private amenity space etc

sydthebeat wrote: »
    (probably) requires planning permission, full 'opt in' BCAS, fire safety certificate and disabled access certificate.

planning will need to show compliance with minimum standards for housing units including floor areas, room areas, refuse storage parking, private amenity space etc

Isn't it only required for extension about 40 sqm?
    I only add additional kitchen & additional washroom without extensions.

Or, do you mean that if it's for private use (don't rent out) it doesn't need planning, but if it's for renting out then it needs planning?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,614 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Isn't it only required for extension about 40 sqm?
    I only add additional kitchen & additional washroom without extensions.

Or, do you mean that if it's for private use (don't rent out) it doesn't need planning, but if it's for renting out then it needs planning?

Sounds like you are creating 2 flats.
    Planning and fire safety cert required.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,704 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

My advice would be to contact your local authority about it.

If you are subdividing your house to rent privately you are in effect creating a new housing unit, and therefore you have standards that need to be met.

Thank you all. That makes sense to have planning and safety cert since it's supposed to be used separately.

Advertisement