Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas market food at home

Options
  • 05-12-2020 6:26pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Given the year that's in it, I won't be wandering any chilly Weihnachtsmarkts this year.

I'm already hoping to find a scaled down recipe for Feuerzangenbowle, but I also miss the food.

Langos, kartoffelpuffer, candied mandeln, various wursts in crispy rolls, hand bread, crepes you have to queue for...

Anyone got tried and true recipes for Christmas market fare?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Tree wrote: »
    Given the year that's in it, I won't be wandering any chilly Weihnachtsmarkts this year.

I'm already hoping to find a scaled down recipe for Feuerzangenbowle, but I also miss the food.

Langos, kartoffelpuffer, candied mandeln, various wursts in crispy rolls, hand bread, crepes you have to queue for...

Anyone got tried and true recipes for Christmas market fare?

This is my tried and tested recipe

Candied Almonds

125 ml Water
    200 g sugar
    1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    200 g Almonds (skin on, not blanched)

Bring the water, sugar and cinnamon to the boil. Add the almonds and cook on a high temperature until the sugar starts to get dry/sandy stirring constantly. At this stage it looks as if it has gone horribly wrong, but persevere! Reduce heat to medium and keep stirring until the sugar gets liquid again and caramelises the almonds.
    Tip the almonds onto a greased baking tray and separate using to forks, they are extremely hot! Leave to cool for a bit to make sure you don't burn your mouth.
    If you don't eat them all in one go, keep them in an airtight container.

I use a stainless steel frying pan and fill it with boiling water afterwards for easy cleaning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

I’ll be rolling out Oma Maria’s Dampfnudel recipe this year as we can’t get to the Pfalz for them :(

I’m making Glühwein as we speak and we have Bratwurst ready to go for later this evening. We’re going to try have a couple of mini Christmas markets in the backyard this year.

Would love a Langos recipe! I’ll be missing Schneebälle and Schokokussen. Could probably manage the Schokokussen but I think the Schneebälle would be a bit too difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 DanT88

I make lamb and mint jelly for any occasion. This is my favorite dish that everyone will love. I cook homemade mint jelly for dessert all the time. jelly is a very healthy product. jelly is very good for the bones. if you have had a fracture of any of your bones, you definitely need to eat it. This is a versatile product that can be eaten every day. This dish will come in very handy on the Christmas table!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

I made a half portion of https://www.saveur.com/article/Recipes/German-Browned-Potato-Pancakes/ for the kartofelpuffer, which i made after a bit too much gluhmost with rum... They worked out great.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

This is my tried and tested recipe

Candied Almonds

125 ml Water
    200 g sugar
    1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    200 g Almonds (skin on, not blanched)

Bring the water, sugar and cinnamon to the boil. Add the almonds and cook on a high temperature until the sugar starts to get dry/sandy stirring constantly. At this stage it looks as if it has gone horribly wrong, but persevere! Reduce heat to medium and keep stirring until the sugar gets liquid again and caramelises the almonds.
    Tip the almonds onto a greased baking tray and separate using to forks, they are extremely hot! Leave to cool for a bit to make sure you don't burn your mouth.
    If you don't eat them all in one go, keep them in an airtight container.

I use a stainless steel frying pan and fill it with boiling water afterwards for easy cleaning.
    Cheers Chesire Cat, the almonds worked out great. Had to bag most of them back up so I wouldn't eat them all.

Epjdc-rWMAIUBiK?format=jpg&name=small

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Roald Dahl

My very talented Mrs. Dahl makes us Vanillekipferln (vanilla crescents) every Christmas time.

A batch was made up last week, which have long since been vernascht.

Vanilla-Crescents-1.jpg

Unfortunately, the mug tells the story that the last time we were at a Christmas Market was in 2013 in Berlin.

Advertisement