Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Endorats Bromodiolone based killer not killing.

Options
  • 05-12-2020 6:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I bought some mouse poison for a shed infestation some years back, the problem was sorted using one pack and I put 1L of unopened Endorats away.

The mice are back and have guzzled nearly all of the 1L in the space of a month.

The Endorats was three years out of date, but was unopened and the bait is obviously still palatable as the mice love the stuff.

Does bromodiolone degrade? There is nothing about shelf life of the chemical itself on the net, so I assume the use by date is when a gourmet mouse would find the grain unpleasant?

Anyway, I need to look for more bait, am I o/k with fresh Endorats, or could the mice be tolerant to bromodiolone?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,579 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

If it’s possibly get a cat or two.
    If not start setting traps well baited.

Poison really is destructive to general wildlife.

Keeping traps set prior to the autumn influx is best as this catches the first rodents who would go on to breed and grow numbers to a real problem level. Never let them establish.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Slightly Kwackers

Thanks,
    I have traps down and they are a success to an extent.

I think you are right, I should have started with the traps early instead of pampering them with Endorats.

My first use of traps wasn't a success, the cheese wasn't touched and when I changed to biscuit they actually gnawed the bait away without springing the trap.

I seem to have quite reasonable kill rates with Lidl Oatie chunks fixed with a glue gun now though.

My expertise at setting the wire retainer to a point where little force on the bait triggers is also improving.

I never thought setting a mousetrap needed such a honed skillset,

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭PoorFarmer

Thanks,
    I have traps down and they are a success to an extent.

I think you are right, I should have started with the traps early instead of pampering them with Endorats.

My first use of traps wasn't a success, the cheese wasn't touched and when I changed to biscuit they actually gnawed the bait away without springing the trap.

I seem to have quite reasonable kill rates with Lidl Oatie chunks fixed with a glue gun now though.

My expertise at setting the wire retainer to a point where little force on the bait triggers is also improving.

I never thought setting a mousetrap needed such a honed skillset,

Thanks

I find peanut butter is good bait for traps

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Slightly Kwackers

Thanks.

Success tonight with ginger biscuits.

Oaties went a bit soggy overnight, but ginger seem harder.

They like the bait, two kills already and I only set then a couple of hours ago.

They sure did thrive on my outdated Endorats :-(

Advertisement