Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Booze deals [Megathread #2]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19 ekofx

Sorry for my lack of knowledge, but could you please pinpoint what are the principles you mention here? I'd like to try to understand your reasoning here.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,482 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Even before mup, 4 cans of breedog punk is 10, maybe 8 on sale. 12 cans in North is 14stg, 12 on sale regularly.

Usually bacardi 1L is 16-17 stg etc. Feck the MUP

• Registered Users Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

Luckily I have a contact that goes to the north regularly. Got 1 litre Tanqueray £18, Johnny Walker Black label £18 and a bottle of Woodford Reserve £20.

Johnny Walker Black was €46 in most shops down here. Woodford reserve €44.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭dubstepper

RIP cheap booze. I was in tesco last night and they were charging 28 euro for 15 cans!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭odddavey

I can see smaller cans and lower alcohol coming for the 500ml cans and 330ml btls going to 300ml.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

Choice 1 - Cheap dishwater beer at €2 a can

Choice 2 - Decent beer at €2 a can

If one place sells crap at €2 and decides to put decent stuff up to €3, customers will very quickly move on to a competitor that sells the decent stuff at €2.

Basic competition.

The price war, if they continue to use alcohol, will now move to decent stuff and there will be plenty of bargains to be had if you like a better quality product

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

i just wanna say thanks to all who have posted offers/deals, etc here.

I’ve had many a great night on the back of your labour!

A special mention to zell who has played a blinder here over the years.

a lad I work with lives in the north so he’ll be getting a crisp 20 once every 2 months and a shopping list

• Registered Users Posts: 19 ekofx

Okay, that makes sense. Thanks for the explanation.

But what if a craft beer producer decides to sell it at a higher price? There's more profit, it would "force" the retailer into selling it above the €2 value, it would raise the perception of the value of a given product. The beer public is already used to a small difference in price for better quality products and would accept the difference (eg: Since Lidl Excelsior is now almost €2, it's only natural that beers that were priced at €2 until last month, are now priced €3). And once one beer producer successfully apply such a strategy, others would join the bandwagon - after all, why not have a little extra per bottle?

Hypothetical scenario, of course. No way for knowing for sure, just speculating.

New Linden village stock in this morning, 440ml four packs and 1ltr bottles instead of 2ltr. Dunnes value lager replaced with a Belgian alternative at 1.38 for 500ml, 3.5% strength I think, only had a fast glance at it before going for lunch so could be mistaken. Few others like San Miguel switching to 6pk smaller cans etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭go4it

had a few guests over in the summer , looking for a radler/shandy beer : to their shock, only a couple of shops had it , and priced as premium beer ...

i told them is costly to remove alcohol from beer , hence the price...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,768 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Already happening. Dutch Gold has changed from 4.0% ABV in 50cl cans to 3.5% ABV in 44cl cans to maintain the €5 price-point for four-packs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,294 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

So it seems I picked a really good time to give up the booze.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭amber2

Like the NI coal warehouse pallet offers, I wonder would any wholesalers or offies up North offer deals on pallets that we could have shipped direct to our door.

Might have to rename this thread to ideas of ways around MUP 😀.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

people were talking of this when MUP was first mentioned. How the breweries etc are not going to let the supermarket profit. I was saying that, especially for small indpendent offies, there is nothing to stop them importing the stuff. When I was younger the local supervalu had foreign heineken 5% alongside Irish stuff, and it was cheaper. You could often find 5% heineken in some offies and some bars that did not have it on tap, who were obviously not playing ball with the official heineken reps/distributors. My small locall offie had stoli vodka long before it was officially released/distributed here, it was the full 40% and cheaper than when the 37.5% stoli was properly released.

If I was a small offie I would be importing cases from germany and selling by the case, word would get out and people would travel to get beers at MUP. You could afford to drop the price if every customer was likely to buy €100+ per visit.

I cannot see a single mainstream beer at MUP in tesco at the moment. Some are saying slabs are a thing of the past, I very much doubt it, come Paddys day I can imagine them having cases at MUP and the smaller packs still above it. Slabs have always had a market as they are simply handy to handle if you want that much. The only tesco beer I see at mup is Manislav Czech Style Lager, brewed in louth and I think it is a Tesco phantom own brand

• Registered Users Posts: 82,244 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Would a 'Booze Buyers Club' be possible where say 10 people get together to form some shell company or non profit club, they then get a Musgraves or whaoever wholesalers card and can each use to buy booze without any minumum pricing rubbish?

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭breeno

What's the Guinness situation in NI supermarkets? Does it tend to be reduced and what size cans/packs etc do they sell?

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭breeno

Ah great thanks. The prices look decent but the 440ml cans not filling a pint glass would trigger some kind of OCD reaction in me I reckon!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,826 ✭✭✭bromley52

Forming a shell company in order to buy drink sound like a drink problem to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭Yellow Dog

Looks like my beloved Perlenbacher will be out of my price range thanks to MUP.

Got 144 cans last week @ 54c a can = €77.76. would have normally cost €155.52.

Now after MUP it will cost €279.36.

So I saved €200 on 72 litres which will last about 6 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭Peter File

You would have to pay Vat and duty so it's a non runner. It could also be seized by Customs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

The melt downs would be epic when the driver would drop the pallet of slabs at the gate unwilling to unpack and stack it neatly by the fridge. 😂

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Was in Aldi tonight and anything not at the cheap end of the market in terms of wine and bubbles seemed to be the same price as yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭ablelocks

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭techman1

Belfast here we come from now on, along with stocking up on cheap beer can also stay there and have a night on the town. I was up there over the Christmas, great night life , live music etc. Dublin has been dead for the last 2 years with the covid restrictions. Belfast was full of young southerners looking to have a good night out, MUP has just added to the attractions of Belfast now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭Caquas

This vox pop gives a good sense of people’s reactions. Very little support, people know this is going to cost them and doubt if this is going to help problem drinkers.

Feel sorry for the man living alone who won’t be able to afford his few beers.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,244 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭The Phantom Jipper

I think the scenario you suggest is more likely to be honest. It doesn't make a huge amount of sense for craft beers to suddenly start competing on price with the Dutch Golds of the world.

Has anyone been in to Musgrave today since the change, would be suprised of they didn't want a share of the extra profit due to all of this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

You obviously have never seen Musgrave's prices.

At Christmas Guinness was on "offer" at €26 + vat.

Advertisement