Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Booze deals [Megathread #2]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭Invincible

I was in Tesco last night but it was priced up at €20.

Lidl from tomorrow.

Same old stuff at MUP. MUP has ruined the potential for proper deals

• Registered Users Posts: 3,142 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

Yeah we're at the point now where we consider MUP a bargain.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,283 ✭✭✭Gusser09

I requested months ago that this thread be renamed to the "Spirits and wine bargains".

There literally are no bargains to be had because of MUP, AAI and the rest of the busy bodies.

15 heinekens for for €25:45? Sainsburys NI are doing 30 cans for £23. We really are getting shafted beyond belief.

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭phunkadelic

Any good prices on craft beer up there? Or beers outside of the generic supermarket crap from Diageo and Heineken.

Took a look at their site, seems like prices are quite similar to here, only a bit less:

https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/gol-ui/groceries/drinks/beer-and-cider/craft-beer/c:1019271

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,321 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

And what has been learnt from it all SFA

I'd say its smugness galore from all the busy bodies lobbying for it

• Registered Users Posts: 14,903 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I wouldn't change the format.

The rules have changed and we don't like it but we still have to play the game.

It's definitely useful to know where MUP price beer can be had.

Please continue to post beer prices.

It's really not a big chore to scroll past stuff you don't like.

Thanks to all contributors and Happy Christmas 🎄

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭FLOOPER

Checked with SV Blackrock for the CDP and it’s sold out nearly everywhere the wine manager told me.

They have the Vacq. from same supplier for 12 - not sure if quality tho

And have Marquis de Riscal Reser for 17 which is a good price for an excellent win.

They have Faustino 1 for 20 from 30. But I think theres a bit too much vanilla/oak in that. Just my tuppence worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭ballyargus

Anywhere in the north where you can buy 500ml cans? I would like to get some Guinness but the 440ml leave my pint glass well shy of the brim

I respectfully disagree. It maies no odds to anyone if Supervalu are selling 15 heineken for €25.45 but its €28 in lidl. Im certainly not going to be driving around town to save 2 quid.

There are no more beer bargains. Thats the point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Anaki r2d2

Tesco NI have a 538ml guinness in stock. 6.10 GBP for 4 cans.

I would buy Nitro in 6 pack here over that at 12 euro

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Anaki r2d2

But some people do want to shop around.

I appreciate the effort people make to post here.

If you not interested, scroll on by. I ignore the gin, wine, pay attention to the whiskey and guinness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭ballyargus

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭webpal

Of course you are entitled to your opinion but there is still money to be saved on beer and it very much depends on where you buy it.

Look at this "offer" from Carryout.

€28.99 for 20 bottles.

I have 3 of the same cases bought for Christmas in Aldi for €22.39 each.

That's €19.80 sitting in my account instead of in the off licence owners account.

With respect, that's the point.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,755 ✭✭✭ablelocks

I'd like to know that there is a difference, even if it is small saving I'd prefer to give my business to the retailer that sells at or near MUP than to the one(s) who doesn't - no problem to me to drive past lidl and go to supervalu for that €2.55 - better in my pocket than theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 34,709 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

That's a 10% price difference ffs, maybe that's irrelevant to you but not to a lot of people, especially if they are buying multiple packs for Xmas etc.

Driving around town? Maybe both supermarkets are roughly the same distance away, or you were going to shop in the cheaper place anyway but will now look out for the offer because you know it's there (and SV don't always have the offer on the shelf but do have it on checkout)

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

14th Dec

Whiskey:

• Bushmills White €22.09 - Supervalu
    • Bushmills Black Bush €23 - Tesco
    • Bushmills 10 year €30 - Tesco
    • Jack Daniels €22.50 - Dunnes / Tesco
    • Jameson €22.09 - Aldi / Supervalu / Dunnes / Lidl
    • Jameson Black Barrel €28 - Supervalu
    • Jameson Crested €25 - Tesco / Dunnes / Supervalu / Centra
    • Jameson Caskmates Stout/IPA €23 - Dunnes
    • Powers Gold €22.09 - Supervalu
    • Powers John's Lane €65 - OBriens
    • Roe & Co €25 - Tesco / Supervalu
    • Slane Irish Whiskey €25 - Centra
    • Tullamore DEW XO Rum Cask €25 - Supervalu
    • Tullamore DEW €22.50 - Tesco / Dunnes

Misc Spirits:

• Absolut €22.09 - Supervalu
    • Bacardi Spiced 19.35 - Tesco
    • Baileys €10 - Lidl
    • Bombay Sapphire Gin €22.09 - Supervalu / Centra
    • Cpt Morgan Spiced 19.39 Dunnes / Lidl
    • Dingle Gin €25 - Centra / SV
    • Drumshambo Gunpowder Gin €25 - Dunnes
    • Graham Norton Vodka 25 - Centra
    • Grey Goose Vodka 35 - Supervalu
    • Jack Daniels Honey €23 - Supervalu / Tesco
    • Jack Daniels Apple €23 - Supervalu / Tesco
    • Kraken Spiced Rum €25 - Dunnes / Tesco
    • Minke Irish Vodka 22.50 - Supervalu
    • Smirnoff 20.71 - Supervalu / Dunnes / Lidl
    • Southern Comfort €20 - Dunnes / Tesco

A few repeats of previous lows - eg Black Barrel €28, Bushmills 10 €30. Not many new deals.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

Paddys Share (47%) is €32 in Centra. The lowest was €25.96 in Nov so not an amazing deal. But cheaper than elsewhere, maybe of interest to someone.

---------

On the topic of MUP and shopping around, it's important that consumers show the supermarkets that they are price-savvy and price-conscious.

You'll see Guinness for €13.26 (MUP) in a bunch of places, then you look at Tesco and it's €13.50. They're already rounding up from MUP on most beer deals.

If you take the attitude that 'ah sure it's only 24c' then what will happen next is Supervalu etc will question why they are bothering to match MUP if it's not getting them any extra business. So they'll round to €13.50 as well. Then next year they'll all round to 14.00, then €14.50.

Eventually there will be no more deals at MUP. Even though we are all in agreement that Guinness at MUP is still a crap deal (compared to pre-MUP slabs), it will be worse when there's no MUP matching at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,448 ✭✭✭Nollog

Fly to mainland UK, fly back with duty free. That's about the only bargain we can get now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭antimatterx

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭FLOOPER

Picked up Unica 4th in SV yesterday. Cracking wine and genuine bargain for this at 25 wine. Think normally here at 50.

But think their offers are advertised as ending today but can’t imagine they’ll end all before Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭andrew1977

The way i take solace these days from the MUP debacle :

8 cans of Guinness for 13.26 ,compared to the guts of 50 euro for 8 pints in the pub !

Heading the north next Monday for a pre xmas shop , booze/toiletries/medicine/household stuff.. car will be loaded up !

• Registered Users Posts: 34,709 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Pubs are pricing themselves out of business.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Absolutely. I find the Guinness Nitro Surge not far off a pint. I'd reckon we aren't far off AAI and the publicans calling for another rise in prices across the off sales sector. Wait and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭REFLINE1

• Registered Users Posts: 10,377 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

They alluded to it yesterday during a discussion on the extended opening hours. They'll probably wait until the deposit return scheme settles down to really go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,549 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Supervalu deal on 6 bottle wine cases. Need real rewards card. Usually limited to 2 of each per person iirc the T&Cs from previous deals.

€50 for Campo Viejo Rioja red, Graham Norton Sav Blanc white, Brancott Estate Sav Blanc white.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭sceach16

The Campo Viejo is in SV for 8 euro (or 48 per 6 unboxed) or 50 in a sealed box. The Brancott is 10 or 50 for 6 (box)! Caveat Emptor...

• Advertisement

Great value if you are traveling.

The best duty free bargains I've seen lately are with Stena in Holyhead.

There's a pre-fab Duty free on the pier just before you drive on the ship.

Lots of bargains in beer,wine and spirits.

My favourite is the Danish brewed Carlsberg 5% at £10 for 24x330ml cans.

(you can bring two cases per adult)

Advertisement