Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Booze deals [Megathread #2]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

bkeane wrote: »
    Voucher don't work anymore for alcohol (I think anyway)
    That's exactly the point they're making. We used to be able to buy these beers for €2 in Dunnes (and at similar prices in SuperValu and Tesco) when using spend & save vouchers.

The direct impact of this change is I'll be buying much more 'craft' beer (and other alcohol) in Aldi/Lidl going forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭statto25

TheDriver wrote: »
    Seems expensive compared to Dunnes 4 for 10 then use a voucher = 2 a bottle.
    Aldi 1.79 pale ale seems a bargain now

I thought the whole voucher thing was gone now?

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭picachu

€7 bottles of bubbles in Tesco until the 16/2

TheDriver wrote: »
    Seems expensive compared to Dunnes 4 for 10 then use a voucher = 2 a bottle.
    Aldi 1.79 pale ale seems a bargain now

I like the 6% IPA in Lidl @ €2.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭andrew1977

Obriens off license are the only place from what i can see who have adapted in the customers favour to the 4 for 10 or 5 for 10 offer etc on ales/craft beer/premium beer.

They have basically held the same pricing as before . 5 for a 10 euro offer previously are now available as 2 euro a bottle and you don't have to buy 5 of them to get the " special offer price "

When I do splash out on decent beer, that's who gets my business now, thankfully I have one local to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

andrew1977 wrote: »
    Obriens off license are the only place from what i can see who have adapted in the customers favour to the 4 for 10 or 5 for 10 offer etc on ales/craft beer/premium beer.

They have basically held the same pricing as before . 5 for a 10 euro offer previously are now available as 2 euro a bottle and you don't have to buy 5 of them to get the " special offer price "

When I do splash out on decent beer, that's who gets my business now, thankfully I have one local to me.

To be fair to them their prices have been decent on the “good beer” range and whiskey side of the house for some time now.

I grabbed two more bottles of whiskey on sale from them a week ago.

Have bought copious amounts of beer from them on those 5 for 10 offers that you’re talking about also.

They were selling the likes of budvar for a euro a bottle which was great for summer bbq’ing.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 IrishHusk

picachu wrote:
    I like the 6% IPA in Lidl @ €2.

Have bought this and a few other in Lidl and they are very good. Some are 1.79

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Conor1974

casio4 wrote: »
    I saw that on their website and went to 2 Centras yesterday but no stock:(

Centra never have stock there chancers

Yellow Dog wrote: »
    Not listed online either.

SuperValu offers start on Thursdays, so maybe from then?

Today’s flyer

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Conor1974 wrote: »
    Centra never have stock there chancers

Just worth pointing out that Supervalu and Centra shops are individually owned and not part of a chain like Tesco, Dunnes, Lidl, Aldi etc.

Having said that it can be frustrating not to get the bargain you want.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

elperello wrote: »
    Just worth pointing out that Supervalu and Centra shops are individually owned and not part of a chain like Tesco, Dunnes, Lidl, Aldi etc.

They're franchises really with prices and special offers set at the Musgraves level. Like McD's or Apple Green or any other franchise business, the prices are supposed to be the same in all of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭andrew1977

To be fair to them their prices have been decent on the “good beer” range and whiskey side of the house for some time now.

I grabbed two more bottles of whiskey on sale from them a week ago.

Have bought copious amounts of beer from them on those 5 for 10 offers that you’re talking about also.

They were selling the likes of budvar for a euro a bottle which was great for summer bbq’ing.

Yes I agree with you there , even on 8 packs of Guinness they hold them at 12 euro a pack ( and chilled ) all the time whilst other shops put them up to 14/14.50 .
    They have good cans / bottles of cheap lager always in the fridge too .
    Thumbs up from me for O’Brien’s .

There supplied by musgraves who run the franchise

Yes, there's a few expensive enough off licences near me that made it worthwhile with their craft offers of "4 for €11" or "3 for 9" offers......every single one is now priced at €3.50 each, with no attempt made to facilitate the end users. It'll be interesting to see how they fare, once people start to notice (If they notice, says you)

It will start to bite when the pubs open back up, I'd imagine.

2ndcoming wrote: »
    They're franchises really with prices and special offers set at the Musgraves level. Like McD's or Apple Green or any other franchise business, the prices are supposed to be the same in all of them.
    Conor1974 wrote: »
    There supplied by musgraves who run the franchise

You are both correct of course that Musgraves supply Centra and Super Valu.

That is good for the consumer in that you get access to some very good offers and excellent quality.

I like their business model because they support local suppliers and can be more nimble in their offering.

The downside is that they are not as uniform as the shops that are owned by one entity like Tesco or Dunnes.

As they say, you pay your money and take your choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,300 ✭✭✭✭casio4

are obriens off licence still doing the loyalty card and can you use your points against alcohol?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,569 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

casio4 wrote: »
    are obriens off licence still doing the loyalty card and can you use your points against alcohol?

Nope thats gone too since 11 January.

They have a selection of some wines discounted if you show your OBriens card
    https://www.obrienswine.ie/collections/exclusive-o-briens-club-offers

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,766 ✭✭✭cython

Molloys are doing similar (or at least they were when I was in recently), but not much use if you're not near one of them in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭Yellow Dog

Beefeater Dry London Gin 70Cl

Tesco

€15

Gordons and Beefeater Gins same price.

Various flavours available.

Tesco

Santa Rita range of wines 750ml €7

Miller 330ml x 18 €17

(that Miller is brewed by Staropramen in Czech Republic)

• Advertisement

I like their business model because they support local suppliers and can be more nimble in their offering.

I think a lot of that is their advertising model. Aldi & Lidl use Irish suppliers extensively, much more so than they did in the early days. Aside from the front of shop placement of recognisable Irish brands like Happy Pear etc in Supervalu stores I wouldn't say there's much in it, apart from the man at the very top being called Paddy and not Hans or whatever.

Tesco

€15

Jaysus that's Christmas week cheap.

Tesco

€15

The regular Gordon's and Beefeater gins aren't great, certainly compared to most of the gins available at the minute. However, the Gordon's lemon is dynamite....for €18 usually is great value, so €15 is a steal. Same with the blood orange flavoured Beefeater. I'll be picking up a bottle of each and might even try some form of rock-shandy type misture of the two.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,569 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Supervalu, Pierre Darcys Champagne Brut
    Was €29.50, reduced to €15 from Thursday 11th to Sunday 14th.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,008 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

odyssey06 wrote: »

I'll have a bit of that thank you very much.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

The regular Gordon's and Beefeater gins aren't great, certainly compared to most of the gins available at the minute. However, the Gordon's lemon is dynamite....for €18 usually is great value, so €15 is a steal. Same with the blood orange flavoured Beefeater. I'll be picking up a bottle of each and might even try some form of rock-shandy type misture of the two.

Think this is online only. Not available in store at that price

• Registered Users Posts: 51,232 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Bailey's 70cl €10 in Tesco also. I also picked up a nice Hop House 13 tall pint glass for €1, it's free if you buy a bottle or can multi-pack.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

odyssey06 wrote: »

It's utter crap and barely worth €15

Another supermarket scam "half price" deal fooling their customers into thinking they are getting a deal. (Asda used to sell it at £8)

Tesco "half price" wines are the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,915 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Dunnes
    LedzsaH.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭carq

Long term i think the new pricing will benefit the customer regarding craft beers.
    I used to hate the homogenous 4 for 10 for all 'craft' beers.
    Permanently on offer but never on offer.

New pricing of 2.60 / 270 is not unexpected but I would expect certain beers to be on sale as offer of the week and price to drop to 2 euro for limited time like any other product in the supermarket.
    Otherwise they will lose market share to lidl and aldi who have permanently lower prices for similar products.

Advertisement