Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Booze deals [Megathread #2]

Options

Comments

carq wrote: »
    Long term i think the new pricing will benefit the customer regarding craft beers.
    I used to hate the homogenous 4 for 10 for all 'craft' beers.
    Permanently on offer but never on offer.

New pricing of 2.60 / 270 is not unexpected but I would expect certain beers to be on sale as offer of the week and price to drop to 2 euro for limited time like any other product in the supermarket.
    Otherwise they will lose market share to lidl and aldi who have permanently lower prices for similar products.

I think you're mistaken, it certainly hasn't borne out to be true in my experience so far.

People who drink craft beers aren't going to the supermarkets for them, in the most part, but to dedicated off license. The closest off-licence to me has expensive individual beers for sale, some of them at crazy prices....like €8 or €9 per 440ml can. They won't be reducing the mid-range €2.60 or €2.90 beers down to €2 anytime soon. And the craft crowd won't be shopping in Lidl all of a sudden either.

The whole point of this legislation is to get people to drink less by forcing them to spend more money on the same amount of beer. Like problem drinkers aren't gonna forego food, vegetables, nappies and other essentials to make way for the demon drink. It doesn't even affect the alcos who buy trays and trays of stuff. Instead, it ends up hurting the people who only buy a few, especially if they get 2 or 3 different beers at a time to try things out.

This is like a diet coke version of MUP, lobbied for by the Vintner's association. They've been slowly ripping people off for years and grown in power to be able to keep that power. People stopped going to the pub because it was too expensive, and started drinking at home. Instead of bringing their own prices down to narrow the gap, they're trying to force the other side to bring theirs up.

The end goal is to make more money, and that's it. That won't end up benefiting us in any way, shape or form. They can try to shroud it in faux concern over everyone's health, but we all know what a Trojan horse looks like.

If anyone involved in running a pub was really concerned about peoples' drinking habits and the effects on society they'd shut up shop in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,915 ✭✭✭✭zell12

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Claude Greengrass

Per Tesco website.
    Guinness 8 for 10
    Carlsberg 8 for 10
    Hop House 20 btls for 15

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

This is like a diet coke version of MUP, lobbied for by the Vintner's association.
    What annoys me is the pubs were not included in this. Most pubs offer pints at a greatly discounted price compared to the price of 2 half pints (you might see genuine half pint pricing in some craft beer type pubs, or close to half price).

Like the supermarkets the smallest measure should be the one the pricing is based on.

If the gov were serious they would have stopped this and forced a same price. I've been saying this for years (even though I very rarely would get a half pint, but that is mainly due to the pricing)

I know the pubs make less on the sale of a half pint as they have to process the order, clean the glass etc, but the same can be said of the off licences, people are going in mulitple times now rather than buying 3 cases of beer or wine at a time.

Back OT, supervalu have smirnoff 700ml for €18
    Valid Feb 11th - Feb 17th

as do tesco.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

picachu wrote:
    Think this is online only. Not available in store at that price

Gordon's 70cl for €15 in Tesco Stillorgan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭sharingan

I think you're mistaken, it certainly hasn't borne out to be true in my experience so far.

People who drink craft beers aren't going to the supermarkets for them, in the most part, but to dedicated off license. The closest off-licence to me has expensive individual beers for sale, some of them at crazy prices....like €8 or €9 per 440ml can. They won't be reducing the mid-range €2.60 or €2.90 beers down to €2 anytime soon. And the craft crowd won't be shopping in Lidl all of a sudden either.

Not disagreeing with your other points (not requoted). I think that MUP is a shambolic half assed way of addressing problem drinking, that disadvantages poorer people.

But I used to get most of my 'craft' beers in Tesco (and Lidl & Aldi). I rather hate the term 'craft' especially when it implies 'indulgent/expensive', I also hate the term when it means 'mutton dressed as lamb'.

Certainly at the lower price points there are a lot of beers being made by small(er) independent producers, that are flavour first, authentic and genuine products. Whatever Tesco have been doing over the last 3-4 years has been big - showcasing a lot of independent product offerings (I am sure the staff at those breweries hated getting the tesco shipment ready .. heard a few stories to that effect). But the discounting deals were big and the beer was great if you knew what you were getting. It was pretty hard to pass by McGargles Export Stout at 4 for 10. Or Proper Job for that matter.

Lidl on the other hand have been kicking butts with the Crafty Beer range (terrible branding, good beers, genuinely independent product - Rye River). Aldi have been playing catchup a bit, but I think Pearse Lyons have been upping their game (Roadworks is a big improvement over the Brown Bear equivalents) and the Brown Bear double IPA is a great beer for the money. A little bit rough around the edges if you compare it with either McGargles double banging, or Galway Bay Of Foam and Fury, but its half/one third the price.

Also the Aldi czech pils (made by Pearse Lyons) is a game changer 1.29 a bottle, genuinely good beer.

There's plenty of crap expensive beer, and crap craft beer. But cheap(er) doesnt always mean bad, or not craft, and most of those genuinely good beers were sold in supermarkets.

I can order indulgent craft beer online or in independent off licenses (and usually beers that I couldnt get in supermarkets anyway) but that was a special treat that is felt quite hard in the wallet.

Now with

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭SkatesOn

2ndcoming wrote: »
    I think a lot of that is their advertising model. Aldi & Lidl use Irish suppliers extensively, much more so than they did in the early days. Aside from the front of shop placement of recognisable Irish brands like Happy Pear etc in Supervalu stores I wouldn't say there's much in it, apart from the man at the very top being called Paddy and not Hans or whatever.

Well at least Supervalu is Irish owned, and their whole supply chain is here - putting money back into the economy.
    Lidl, Aldi & Tesco are foreign owned. The Lidl & Aldi owners are amongst the richest people on the planet. Buying from them ultimately puts more money in their pockets. Best to shop local - most of the Supervalus, Centras, Mace, etc. are locally owned.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭SkatesOn

zell12 wrote: »
    Dunnes
    LedzsaH.png

Bit of a snakey one from Dunnes, throwing the voucher into the middle of the alcohol deals, even though it doesn't apply to alcohol - as per new law.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭carq

The whole point of this legislation is to get people to drink less by forcing them to spend more money on the same amount of beer. Like problem drinkers aren't gonna forego food, vegetables, nappies and other essentials to make way for the demon drink. It doesn't even affect the alcos who buy trays and trays of stuff. Instead, it ends up hurting the people who only buy a few, especially if they get 2 or 3 different beers at a time to try things out.

This is like a diet coke version of MUP, lobbied for by the Vintner's association. They've been slowly ripping people off for years and grown in power to be able to keep that power. People stopped going to the pub because it was too expensive, and started drinking at home. Instead of bringing their own prices down to narrow the gap, they're trying to force the other side to bring theirs up.

The end goal is to make more money, and that's it. That won't end up benefiting us in any way, shape or form. They can try to shroud it in faux concern over everyone's health, but we all know what a Trojan horse looks like.

If anyone involved in running a pub was really concerned about peoples' drinking habits and the effects on society they'd shut up shop in the morning.

My point was before this legislation, individual beers were always lumped in the 4 for 10 bucket. It would rarely if ever escape that pricing as it was always lumped in the 'craft beer offer'. Permanently on offer but never on offer. To me it was price fixing for vastly different type of product / quality of product.

What i am hoping for in future is that brands of beers will now have to be priced individually. I expect (somewhat misguided perhaps!?) that this will mean some will be cheaper and some will be more expensive. Some will be on offer some weeks and you can stock up.

Case in point - Estrella / Bier moretti big bottles. were always 3 for 9 Euro. Last week i believe the Estrella was 2.50 while moretti was 3.50.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

SkatesOn wrote: »
    Well at least Supervalu is Irish owned, and their whole supply chain is here - putting money back into the economy.
    Lidl, Aldi & Tesco are foreign owned. The Lidl & Aldi owners are amongst the richest people on the planet. Buying from them ultimately puts more money in their pockets. Best to shop local - most of the Supervalus, Centras, Mace, etc. are locally owned.

The franchisees make a share, but ultimately extremely rich people having money isn't putting money back into the economy, for the most part that money just sits in their accounts whether they're on the board of Musgraves or Aldi.

In terms of paying Irish staff and suppliers it's much of a muchness - the fruit & veg (where possible), dairy, bread, eggs, meat, craft beers etc are Irish supplied in all of these huge companies so that's much of a muchness too. That's the money that goes back into the economy. The Kellogg's corn flakes and Italian pasta are just as non-Irish in any of them.

Supervalu's whole advertising budget goes on playing up to the fact that because you know it's an Irish founded company you won't mind paying more, but when you really think about it, it makes far less of a difference than they make out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,755 ✭✭✭ablelocks

heineken 20 bottles - €15 Tesco

edit - Rockshore too

carq wrote: »
    What i am hoping for in future is that brands of beers will now have to be priced individually. I expect (somewhat misguided perhaps!?) that this will mean some will be cheaper and some will be more expensive. Some will be on offer some weeks and you can stock up.

Perhaps, but I think that's a pretty naive expectation. Remember when women were being charged less than men were in the insurance racket, and they decided to restore some sort of parity by equalising everything? How many men saw a big drop vs how many women saw a huge increase?

sharingan wrote: »
    But I used to get most of my 'craft' beers in Tesco (and Lidl & Aldi).

I've snipped most of your post as we are singing from the same hymn sheet, for the most part. In the sentence above, though, I'd wager you are in the minority. Tesco have, what 15 to 20 beers that they'd consider craft beers? And that includes loads of mass-produced stuff that shouldn't really qualify, IMO, being owned and operated by the big boys as a means to cash in on the trend. (Hop house 13, blue moon etc). Don't get me wrong, now, I definitely enjoy both of those beers but they don't fit the description in my mind. I've been in off licences that have 15-20 shelves full of different beers. There really is no comparison. Same with Lidl, they have indeed upped their game but it's still chickenfeed, really. (That American pale ale from crafty is lovely, btw).

I also agree that the supermarkets are more likely than most to simply reduce their prices to the equivalent of 4 for a tenner or whatever. But I've seen nothing of the sort in my local off licences. Beers that were "€3.50 each or 4 for €12" are all now €3.50 at a bare minimum. Some have jumped up in price to almost €4 each. If I was a greedy/unscrupulous off-licence owner I'd be thanking the heavens for that new law.

My main point is that the savings probably weren't even that great in the first place, and the multi-buy offers more properly reflected the true price. If they were making a profit selling them @ the multi-buy price they're making a profit selling them at the reduced individual prices too. From what I can see, so far, more have decided not to reduce their prices accordingly than those that have.
    rubadub wrote: »
    What annoys me is the pubs were not included in this. Most pubs offer pints at a greatly discounted price compared to the price of 2 half pints (you might see genuine half pint pricing in some craft beer type pubs, or close to half price).

Like the supermarkets the smallest measure should be the one the pricing is based on.

If the gov were serious they would have stopped this and forced a same price. I've been saying this for years (even though I very rarely would get a half pint, but that is mainly due to the pricing)

They are all for MUP in the publican trade, unsurprisingly, as it doesn't really affect them negatively. If the pubs were included in this latest shenanigans, and made increase the price of a pint to, say €8 across the board, they would be running amok and there'd be a VFI suit on the news every day of the week complaining about livelihoods being ruined and old men in the shticks having no pension money for such extravagance.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

ablelocks wrote: »
    heineken 20 bottles - €15 Tesco

edit - Rockshore too

Yes indeedy, I will be drinking 20 Heinekens this wknd. 😋

• Registered Users Posts: 12,492 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

ah lads, there's a booze forum where all the MUP lark is discussed. And I'm sure them foreign supermarkets are discussed somewhere too. But we like booze prices. Good prices preferably but prices none the less.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭sully123

The regular Gordon's and Beefeater gins aren't great, certainly compared to most of the gins available at the minute. However, the Gordon's lemon is dynamite....for €18 usually is great value, so €15 is a steal. Same with the blood orange flavoured Beefeater. I'll be picking up a bottle of each and might even try some form of rock-shandy type misture of the two.

Ooooh, fancy gins!
    Would you drink em with tonic as normal?
    Might try the raspberry one.

Yes, a fancy gin deserves a fancy tonic. The Fever Tree Elderflower one is my usual mixer for most gins. You can pick up decent orange or lemon flavoured tonics in plenty of places, Amazon do a few though I haven't ordered since pre-Brexit.

I posted about them and included links back in December

Edit: Double Dutch Rhubarb & Pineneedle Limited Edition Premium Mixer 24 x 200ml Bottles - £15.42 delivered on amazon prime. Works out at about €18 for a tray of 200ml bottles, or €1.30 per bottle

• Registered Users Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭bladespin

Tesco running a special on several 70cl Gins - €15

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭tallaghtfornia

bladespin wrote: »
    Tesco running a special on several 70cl Gins - €15

They where all marked €18 in Tesco The Square last night was the reduction today ?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,353 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Graeme Norton Prosecco down to €8 a bottle in Centra.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭bladespin

They where all marked €18 in Tesco The Square last night was the reduction today ?

It was on their website earlier today (that's just an example).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

Any guinness offers lads

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭celticfc

Andrew00 wrote: »
    Any guinness offers lads

12 pack of 500ml Guinness with a free glass for €15.50 in Dunnes.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭carq

celticfc wrote: »
    12 pack of 500ml Guinness with a free glass for €15.50 in Dunnes.

Pro tip

Just put the glass in the trolley and get a 6 pack of Dark n lively for 8 euro

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭seanl77

Andrew00 wrote: »
    Any guinness offers lads

8 packs of Guinness for €10 in tesco

• Registered Users Posts: 20,300 ✭✭✭✭casio4

Some Centras have 12 cans of Guinness for €15

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Tesco

Solas Belgian White. Brewed by Rye River. 5.2%

500ml €1.97

This is the regular price but I think it's a bit of a Booze Deal if you fancy something different without breaking the bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 IrishHusk

Andrew00 wrote:
    Any guinness offers lads

15.50 in Lidl for 12

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭keredern

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Supervalu, Pierre Darcys Champagne Brut
    Was €29.50, reduced to €15 from Thursday 11th to Sunday 14th.

Bought two today...just drinking one!!

It's very nice! :)

Not as delicious as the Lidl €19.66 one but very drinkable! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭picachu

They finally reduced it to €15 in Cabra

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,622 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Lidl have 40% off Chardonnay Colombard, €5.89 down to €3.53.

lid-chard.jpg

Advertisement