Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Booze deals [Megathread #2]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭10green bottles

The laughs you'd have with Tescos pricing policy :)
    20 straight weeks they have Tennents @ €1 a can and then come Easter they raise that to €1.29 and reduce the sh*t out of every other beer along the line.
    Yes,i'm partial to a can of Tennents every now and again.Each to their own and all that etc.... don't understand the pricing is all?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,963 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

The laughs you'd have with Tescos pricing policy :)
    20 straight weeks they have Tennents @ €1 a can and then come Easter they raise that to €1.29 and reduce the sh*t out of every other beer along the line.
    Yes,i'm partial to a can of Tennents every now and again.Each to their own and all that etc.... don't understand the pricing is all?

They probably reckon they won't sell as much tennents if the other beers are at €1. So this is the time to put the product back up to RRP... so when the offers come off the other beers they can then promote tennents again as a special offer...

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,622 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Heineken 1 euro a can in tesco.

But you can buy 8pack for 10 euro

And buy a 4 pack for 7.75

Your choice.

Was in Supervalue last night, single bottle of Vina Sol was €9, a case of 6 was?...€66! :confused:, even the staff member couldn't believe it.

okidoki987 wrote: »
    Was in Supervalue last night, single bottle of Vina Sol was €9, a case of 6 was?...€66! :confused:, even the staff member couldn't believe it.

Last weekend it was €40 for the case probably ... it's stock they have to run on special offers.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,033 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

These special offers need careful attention, especially the red signs they use in Aldi and Lidl.

I'm convinced they have done research that shows no matter the price a lot of people will be drawn to the red signs and purchase the product regardless.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Advertisement

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Last weekend it was €40 for the case probably ... it's stock they have to run on special offers.

It sure was and I thought it was still €40 until I got to the till :(.
    Not sure why they would have 6 at €66 in a box, yet you can buy 6 single bottles for €54? :confused:

Not sure why they would have 6 at €66 in a box, yet you can buy 6 single bottles for €54? :confused:

It's so when they reduce it to €40 it looks like an even bigger discount I expect.
    Surprised 6 for €40 isn't enough for their marketing team!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭amber2

https://www.blacksbrewery.com/shop/launch-party-special-offer-12-kpa-12-tropical-ipa/

Blacks of kinsale 12 rocketship IPA and 12 tropical €65 delivered.

Blacks bottle of whiskey and gin €56 delivery €7.60

https://www.blacksbrewery.com/shop/gold-medal-spirits-mega-deal-blacks-golden-rum-blacks-irish-gin/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭amber2

https://www.blacksbrewery.com/shop/gold-medal-spirits-mega-deal-blacks-golden-rum-blacks-irish-gin/

Blacks Whiskey and gin link that works €56 plus €7.60 delivered

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Daisies

Has anyone notices if Lidl have their own version of Aperol back in stock yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭93Cab

Do you remember what the Lidl version of Aperol is called?

• Registered Users Posts: 36 idontlikemyname

93Cab wrote: »
    Do you remember what the Lidl version of Aperol is called?

Bitterol I think. Didn't see any there today.
    Aperol is 20 for 70cl in O'Briens or 23ish for a litre if they have it in stock.

On offer in Tesco today, 6 bottles for €40.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭xredmanlfcx

sully123 wrote: »
    Guinness single can 500ml 1e in tesco.
    Heineken 1 euro a can in tesco.

But you can buy 8pack for 10 euro

And buy a 4 pack for 7.75

Your choice.

Thanks to both for that. Picked up Guinness and Heineken cans for €1 per can in Tesco yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭SkatesOn

Because they want to scam customers: Oh look the wine is on special offer!
    Same as another poster pointed out the red signs in Aldi.
    This stuff is not by chance - each of these supermarket chains has a head office full of marketing people who determine the prices for the whole country on a daily basis. They also follow this thread very closely!

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭xredmanlfcx

SkatesOn wrote: »
    Because they want to scam customers: Oh look the wine is on special offer!
    Same as another poster pointed out the red signs in Aldi.
    This stuff is not by chance - each of these supermarket chains has a head office full of marketing people who determine the prices for the whole country on a daily basis. They also follow this thread very closely!

Scamming customers is a bit of an exaggeration.

There is a business rule/law, that they can't announce a discount/reduction in price without having it a higher price for a certain period of time in a number of months beforehand.
    As a result, they can reduce the price of the single cans now but keep the box of cans/wine at a higher price, then increase the price of the single cans but bring the price of the box down, and vice versa, announcing another discount/reduction in price.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

12 box Smithwicks pint bottles €20, Londis.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭SkatesOn

Scamming customers is a bit of an exaggeration.

There is a business rule/law, that they can't announce a discount/reduction in price without having it a higher price for a certain period of time in a number of months beforehand.
    As a result, they can reduce the price of the single cans now but keep the box of cans/wine at a higher price, then increase the price of the single cans but bring the price of the box down, and vice versa, announcing another discount/reduction in price.

I'm well aware that supermarkets need to have prices at a higher level before they can offer "reduced prices". This has got nothing to do with reduced prices.
    Single bottles of wine at €9 each. 2 metres away, you have boxes of 6 piled up priced at €66, with a big yellow sign!
    Btw, I have seen this myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

With regard to SuperValu, I always make an effort to check what price has been charged after I’ve scanned stuff through.

It might not be countrywide but the SuperValu in killester always has stuff advertised on sale and then when you scan it through- you get the non sale charge.

I’ve had to raise this with the staff 3 times in less than - year.

I just don’t bother shopping there anymore and will only go for something very specific, like a wine or booze deal that I see and I’ll be doing so wary of the price I expect to pay

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭TheSheriff

With regard to SuperValu, I always make an effort to check what price has been charged after I’ve scanned stuff through.

It might not be countrywide but the SuperValu in killester always has stuff advertised on sale and then when you scan it through- you get the non sale charge.

I’ve had to raise this with the staff 3 times in less than - year.

I just don’t bother shopping there anymore and will only go for something very specific, like a wine or booze deal that I see and I’ll be doing so wary of the price I expect to pay

Used to the the exact same carry on in Supervalu Ashtown. The prices on the shelves never matched what was charged at the self scan.

Very annoying.

• Advertisement

TheSheriff wrote: »
    Used to the the exact same carry on in Supervalu Ashtown. The prices on the shelves never matched what was charged at the self scan.

Very annoying.

Maybe it’s a SuperValu thing so

Maybe it’s a SuperValu thing so

It is and it’s a Lidl thing as well.

It is and it’s a Lidl thing as well.

It’s a terrible thing to lose

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

SuperValu are mostly franchises so there's no conspiracy. Might be the 5G.

SuperValu are mostly franchises so there's no conspiracy. Might be the 5G.

No one is suggesting it’s a conspiracy- just interesting that a practice is being replicated across a few premises of one supermarket chain.

Killester is a disaster for it- you need to check your receipt after every shop there

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭pjq

Caveat Emptor, this is Ireland , we don't have effective consumer advocates like other EU countries. And the state isn't going to help,,,

A policy of jobs for the girls, say critics
    Senan MolonyPolitical Correspondent July 20 2005 12:11 AM

THE Government was struggling last night to contain a row over the appointment of the Taoiseach's former partner Celia Larkin to a State board. Bertie Ahern and his Enterprise and Employment Minister Micheal Martin attempted to play down the issue, saying Ms Larkin was well-qualified to serve on the National Consumer Agency, the new consumer watchdog.
    < Irish Independent 2005

and to help the supermarkets we have more flathulach consumers per capita than say the Dutch or Germans.

All we can do is warn about the supermarket practices ( without getting Boards sued for liable) and Caviat our Emptor's Asses

• Registered Users Posts: 7,336 ✭✭✭CH3OH

Didn't know what thread I was reading and though" this thread would drive you to drink- Must check out the Booze Deals thread."

Then realised it was the Booze deals thread!!

Be nice to get back to some real deals.

And apologies for the off topic

• Registered Users Posts: 7,336 ✭✭✭CH3OH

Tesco ad in Sunday Independent says until 5th tomorrow
    549243.jpg

549242.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭Yellow Dog

Faustino V Reserva Rioja 75Cl

€10 in Tesco from tomorrow.

https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=258014197

• Advertisement

Picked up the last box of Smithwicks today in Londis, they had plenty of Coors lights 75cl bottles at €2.50 each if that’s your thing.

Advertisement