Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Booze deals [Megathread #2]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,500 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Got the last of the Brewdog Pale Ale and Anchor Steam on clearance in Tesco Mallow.
    Piles of Hop House left.
    Was there 2 left of the pale ale? Wasnt great compared to punk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭oceanman

CH3OH wrote: »
    Tesco ad in Sunday Independent
    549814.jpg
    549815.jpg

Says until 13th
    none of the wine deals in tesco celbridge today:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

TheDriver wrote: »
    Was there 2 left of the pale ale? Wasnt great compared to punk.

There was 1 left.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭SkatesOn

No Guinness in Aldi Clonee either.

No slabs, no signs for it even.

I hate this bs from them tbh. If it’s in your leaflet it should be on the floor.

It is bull**** from Aldi. Lidl & Centra are also at it wholesale. And Supervalu too to a certain extent.
    It's bait & switch, which in some countries is illegal, but the above supermarkets are shamelessly using it as a tactic here.
    Tesco & Dunnes are the only ones that seem to have the stuff in stock when they advertise it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,566 ✭✭✭bassy

only slabs i seen in aldi on friday was loads of slabs of bud that no one seems to buy for obvious reasons and only 2 slabs of carlsberg.
    no heineken or guinness there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭Peter File

Lidl will have 6 bottles of superbock for €7 this Thursday

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭testtech05

bassy wrote: »
    only slabs i seen in aldi on friday was loads of slabs of bud that no one seems to buy for obvious reasons and only 2 slabs of carlsberg.
    no heineken or guinness there.

Was the same for me in Ballinrobe

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭DeniG2

testtech05 wrote: »

Slab of Heineken in Aldi Gort was €30. I went in for the €24 offer, discussed

testtech05 wrote: »

hon mayo :)

i was in the carlow aldi.

Peter File wrote: »
    Lidl will have 6 bottles of superbock for €7 this Thursday

This is the booze bargain thread?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,359 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

On the lookout for Slabs of Carlsberg (4.3%)

Please post if any offers are available

PTH2009 wrote: »
    On the lookout for Slabs of Carlsberg (4.3%)

Please post if any offers are available

seen them in aldi for 24 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

SkatesOn wrote: »
    It is bull**** from Aldi. Lidl & Centra are also at it wholesale. And Supervalu too to a certain extent.
    It's bait & switch, which in some countries is illegal, but the above supermarkets are shamelessly using it as a tactic here.
    Tesco & Dunnes are the only ones that seem to have the stuff in stock when they advertise it.

It's down to the store and location. SV were advertising a wine sale for €40 (Barao De Vilar) 6 bottles for 40 bucks, normally €89.99 in all their stores. It was hoovered up in Cork (Ballincollig shop was cleaned out in 4 days) and was still available nearly 2 weeks later in Ballybofey Co. Donegal.

Tesco regularly advertise Powers 3 swallows for €30 - but is simply not available in certain shops - in Cork anyway. The one in Wilton does carry it when on offer but never seen it in any other Tesco in Cork.

I think you just have to be smart and keep watching different shops for the different deals.
    Keeping an eye on here does certainly help. But, I am not sure how the whole advertising thing is working with different shops - as in, they, (SV), had Powers 1 ltr for €25 and also had Powers 700ml for €25 at the same time - nothing advertised. That was all over the country too.
    So, I am guessing that the shops are playing a bit of a grey area when it comes to advertising and deals.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

cadaliac wrote: »

Tesco regularly advertise Powers 3 swallows for €30 - but is simply not available in certain shops - in Cork anyway. The one in Wilton does carry it when on offer but never seen it in any other Tesco in Cork. .

Just goes to show - I've picked that up twice recently in Mahon Point!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭ellejay

Totally agree.
    I tried 3 supervalu's when they'd corona on special offer a couple of weeks ago.
    I'd don't think 1.00 in the day is "too late" to be looking for special offers.

They even do it with washing powder.
    They'd fairy washing powder on special, yet none on the shelves.
    I asked a young lad to ask if they'd any "out the back" ( a black hole where staff go and never come back) or due in. He was obviously new because he innocently told me they'd a load of it but can't put it out til Thursday. Which was of course when the special was over.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭jean contente

Not a slab of Guinness in sight at Aldi Nutgrove on Thursday.Phoned customer service to see if there was stock elsewhere.Was told that the 24 pack was not showing on the c/s agent's stock check system so she could not help.I asked her for store phone numbers.Was told that they are not allowed give them to callers.Asked her could she call a store for me and check.No.Not allowed either.
    Drove to Aldi Tallaght Cross and Aldi Belgard Rd.
    Quelle surprise.
    Guinnessless!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Picked up the Belgian Gift set for 10 this morning in Lidl Celbridge, it's supposed to be 16 per their leaflet. Could have been a mistake but I think I'll grab another now just in case.

Also they had all on the shelves despite the deal not supposed to be starting til the 15th..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

2ndcoming wrote: »
    Picked up the Belgian Gift set for 10 this morning in Lidl Celbridge, it's supposed to be 16 per their leaflet. Could have been a mistake but I think I'll grab another now just in case.

Also they had all on the shelves despite the deal not supposed to be starting til the 15th..

Your man that's always shouting about "bait and switch" would have a field day with this. Is it "switch and bait" in this case?

Londis advertising Guinness 0 0 cans, I’ve been to 3 different Londis stores and no sign of them.

Londis advertising Guinness 0 0 cans, I’ve been to 3 different Londis stores and no sign of them.
    they seem to be all pulling the same stunt now....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭xredmanlfcx

This thread might need a name change judging on recent posts :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

I suspect the supply chains for beer are under pressure. Breweries are switching their output to bottles and cans and away from the draught they used to send to pubs. That must be putting a strain on the bottling and canning systems.

Bait and Switch is a common enough stunt in retail but production bottlenecks (pun intended) could be part of it too.

First Up wrote: »
    I suspect the supply chains for beer are under pressure. Breweries are switching their output to bottles and cans and away from the draught they used to send to pubs. That must be putting a strain on the bottling and canning systems.

Bait and Switch is a common enough stunt in retail but production bottlenecks (pun intended) could be part of it too.
    but why advertise special offers to draw people in if you are having supply problems? dosent make sense..

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Nugget89

I don't think that's back on the market yet since it's recall.

https://www.guinness.com/en-gb/our-beers/guinness-0.0/#:~:text=In%20November%202020%20as%20a,Guinness%200.0%20unsafe%20to%20consume.&text=The%20issue%20is%20isolated%20to,variants%20or%20brands%20are%20affected.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

oceanman wrote:
    but why advertise special offers to draw people in if you are having supply problems? dosent make sense..

I think shops like Lidl and Aldi turn stock around really fast so they work to very tight delivery schedules. Stuff goes from the truck to the shelf and out the door. Any production or delivery problems hit them immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Soarer

Any sign of Perlinbacher XXL coming back in?

• Registered Users Posts: 82,564 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

There was rumours before Christmas that 6 packs of normal Guinness would be getting 2 free 00 cans as a marketing promotion. I guess that won't be happening with the special offer restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

There was rumours before Christmas that 6 packs of normal Guinness would be getting 2 free 00 cans as a marketing promotion.

I would expect them to be all in the same shrink wrap so could be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭RayCon

2ndcoming wrote: »

Balls .... saw it last night and didn't get it cos I thought that's a labeling error and it'll be €16 at the till.

• Advertisement

First Up wrote: »
    I think shops like Lidl and Aldi turn stock around really fast so they work to very tight delivery schedules. Stuff goes from the truck to the shelf and out the door. Any production or delivery problems hit them immediately.

You are 100% correct. An individual truck leaves the distribution centre with the contents for an individual store.
    A few weeks ago the truck couldn’t get through flooding in Mallow and hence the store had none of the offers for that week.

Advertisement