Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Booze deals [Megathread #2]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭oceanman

So just to offer a little bit in the way of comparison I have now tried the Guinness 470 ml.

Taste wise I honestly don’t know what people are talking about.

Ive drank a lot of Guinness in the pub over the years and now all the cans from Guinness to beamish to murphys.

I don’t think many people would tell the difference between the 470 and 500ml in terms of flavour.

The head (and less liquid) is the main change. It’s probably three fifths the size of a regular on but honestly that’s not the end of the world.

Bottom line 69 cent a can is stupidly cheap for a drink that is 99% the same as it’s far more expensive 500ml counterpart.

I’d have zero issue buying more of these. Tbh the less other people buy them the cheaper the price so eh yeah terrible stuff. Lol
    you could be letting your wallet overrule your taste buds though...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

oceanman wrote: »
    you could be letting your wallet overrule your taste buds though...

I really don’t think I am.

The head is smaller but not by as much as I was expecting based on the comments on here.

Taste wise it’s Guinness.

FWIW I got a bit better pour results from giving it a few swirls before opening and then pouring at a 90 degree angle into the glass.

Honestly I’d buy more of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭phester28

Drank it last night. It tastes like Guinness but does not have the same texture. Not smooth or creamy. More like a liquid or hybrid larger version of Guinness

• Registered Users Posts: 5,463 ✭✭✭Nollog

Lidl reduced spirits from the 12th to end of the year.
    70cl spiced rum (Morgan's) 14 euro is one.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

Picked up two Carlsberg for 33. Unreal price. They're on top of my wardrobe cos I have no room left in my flat :)

• Advertisement

/\/ollog wrote: »
    Lidl reduced spirits from the 12th to end of the year.
    70cl spiced rum (Morgan's) 14 euro is one.

Jesus that’s cheap. That stuff is incredible. Especially in comparison to the Aldi version.

I have a bottle I just opened but I’ll be grabbing at least one more at that price

• Registered Users Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭LowOdour

Picked up two Carlsberg for 33. Unreal price. They're on top of my wardrobe cos I have no room left in my flat :)

Whats the use by date in those? Not really a can drinker, but would pick them up for Electric picnic in September (yes, i am bored today!)

LowOdour wrote: »
    Whats the use by date in those? Not really a can drinker, but would pick them up for Electric picnic in September (yes, i am bored today!)

6 of nov 2021

• Registered Users Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

LowOdour wrote: »

Great shout!!

• Registered Users Posts: 82,784 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Tesco has Heineken 24x500ml for €20

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭shaddupayaface

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

When does the Lidl deal on slabs end? The 2 for 33eur one!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭prodsc

Hogzy wrote: »
    When does the Lidl deal on slabs end? The 2 for 33eur one!

until close of play Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭headnorth

Supervalu
    Screenshot-20201213-084450.jpg

Tesco
    Screenshot-20201213-084509.jpg

Eurospsr
    Screenshot-20201213-084535.jpg

Aldi
    Screenshot-20201213-084601.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭irishproduce

Are Lidl the only ones doing the 2 for 33e offer?
    They have 18 hop house cans for 25e as well although it wasn't advertised anywhere.
    Is anywhere else doing the hip house cans on sale? Anyone spot them?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

Powers 70 cl for €18 in Tesco.
    1 ltr is €25.
    Great value that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

banie01 wrote: »
    2 slabs of Carlsberg for €33 is an outright steal.
    Far nicer lager since they tweaked the recipe IMO.
    I thought at the time a year or so ago its was just the UK version?

I got 2 slabs of Carlsberg for €30 with a €5 off €25 Tesco voucher I'll put with the quantity over quality even it's the same recipe

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭The Phantom Jipper

Not sure if people are still chasing these but there was a heap of the craft beer selection boxes in Lidl on Moore Street yesterday evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

banie01 wrote: »
    Far nicer lager since they tweaked the recipe IMO.

when did this happen? I don't think I noticed anything but I'll drink Dutch Gold if it's on offer

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Geuze wrote: »
    Can I just confirm:

Tesco had 2x24 cases of Guinness cans 470ml for 35 euro - that in itself is an unreal low price..
    this was still on in my tesco last night, it was a quota of 4 per customer, and rockshore and carslberg were also in the mix n match offer, so could only risk 1 guinness is you were wary.

I really hope these people I saw claiming they are pouring their guinness away are just bullshitters, give it to somebody else. I usually drink my guinness straight from the can! just as I do with most beers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,784 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

when did this happen? I don't think I noticed anything but I'll drink Dutch Gold if it's on offer

It was tweeked when they rebranded the cans around 1 year ago, I preferred the old version.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭banie01

It was tweeked when they rebranded the cans around 1 year ago, I preferred the old version.

Yep, it is changed since around then.
    I found the old version a bit meh, the newer one I'd have over most other lagers tbh.
    Not too hoppy and an easier sup.

Grand sub for D4 heino heads I suppose :P

*I say as a Heineken drinker :pac:

rubadub wrote: »
    this was still on in my tesco last night, it was a quota of 4 per customer, and rockshore and carslberg were also in the mix n match offer, so could only risk 1 guinness is you were wary.

I really hope these people I saw claiming they are pouring their guinness away are just bullshitters, give it to somebody else. I usually drink my guinness straight from the can! just as I do with most beers.
    guinness straight from the can?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

guinness straight from the can?

You only see that in the Town Park!!!

My final verdict on the 470ml cans after several of them.

It’s not perfect but seriously people have lost the plot if they think it’s massively different.

This is the best offer I’ve seen in a long long time.

If you like your Guinness stock up for the love of god.

My final verdict on the 470ml cans after several of them.

It’s not perfect but seriously people have lost the plot if they think it’s massively different.

This is the best offer I’ve seen in a long long time.

If you like your Guinness stock up for the love of god.

guinness drinkers dont take easily to change though. less so with larger drinkers.

guinness drinkers dont take easily to change though. less so with larger drinkers.

Larger drinkers?

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭POBox19

Tesco Clare Hall now stocking 500ml Guinness slabs €20 each, 4 per customer.

Larger drinkers?
    sorry...typo :)

• Advertisement

I'm a larger drinker. Should cut down really.

Advertisement