Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Booze deals [Megathread #2]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭mollymac57

Box of 6 bottles of Eagle Hawk Cabernet Sauvignon in Tesco Tipperary for €40. A nice wine and a nice price. Other wine boxes also available at this price.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,985 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Seve OB wrote: »
    Is the Baileys and Carlsberg offer still on today?

Was just loot there at the Tesco website.
    It say maximum of 2 alcoholic products per customer.

FYI I picked up 2 bottles of Baileys and a box of Carlsberg the other day, single transaction. ClubCard Discount was applied to all 3 items.

Maybe I could have actually gotten more........

• Registered Users Posts: 38,356 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Did I see Guinness are getting rid of Hop House or am I imaging things ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,500 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

FYI I picked up 2 bottles of Baileys and a box of Carlsberg the other day, single transaction. ClubCard Discount was applied to all 3 items.

2 of each item. I went in the next day and got more Baileys at discount prices

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

PTH2009 wrote: »

Seriously doubt it. One of their few successful launches in recent memory.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭testtech05

2ndcoming wrote: »
    Seriously doubt it. One of their few successful launches in recent memory.

I think I saw they are discontinuing it in the UK

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

testtech05 wrote: »
    I think I saw they are discontinuing it in the UK

Maybe so. It was a big success on the bar end here so I would guess will be kept.

• Moderators Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭Spocker

Ceasing in the UK https://www.irishpost.com/news/diageo-to-scrap-guinness-spin-off-craft-beer-brand-hop-house-13-211019

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

It's 2 of the same item. I bought 2 x Carlsberg and 2 x Baileys the other night in the one transaction in store and the discount was automatically applied when my club card was scanned.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,564 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Bought some of that Carlsberg for €12 in Tesco, the quality of the labelling on the bottles is like something that a lad would knock together in his box room, also noticed rust on some of the bottle caps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,059 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Lidl
    l09gMqC.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭oceanman

hopefully they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭Buffman

Looks like the end of this thread is approaching fast.:mad:

https://www.rte.ie/news/2021/0504/1213569-politics-alcohol/

The Minister for Health will today seek Government approval to introduce a minimum unit price for alcohol products as soon as possible.
    The Public Health Act sets a minimum price per gram of alcohol of 10c.
    This would mean that a can of lager will have a minimum price of €1.32 and a bottle of Chardonnay would cost at least €7.75.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles to avoid the DRS fee.

Buffman wrote: »

I was disappointed when the retailers came out last week and said "we agree with the policy but not the timing while the north dont move on this"... they should have said they flat out rejected it.

I'd like to think the electorate would remember this, but no doubt we'll see the same buffoons in power after the next election.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭TimHorton

I was disappointed when the retailers came out last week and said "we agree with the policy but not the timing while the north dont move on this"... they should have said they flat out rejected it.

I'd like to think the electorate would remember this, but no doubt we'll see the same buffoons in power after the next election.

So that's why we are seeing 15 packs of cans, They will come in at €20 when there is a promotion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭sully123

Was just posting on another thread that the 1.32 price for a can quoted in that article must be based on tesco brand lager as a typical can like Heineken would come to 1.69 under the new rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭Buffman

TimHorton wrote: »
    So that's why we are seeing 15 packs of cans, They will come in at €20 when there is a promotion.

Ye, the drinks producers must have gotten far more notice than Joe Public.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles to avoid the DRS fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭NinetyForNone

So a 500ml 5.6% beer will be €2.24?
    man that sucks.:mad:

HSE standard drink

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭pjq

Very disappointing that retailers did not have the moral courage to stand up for the interests of their customers, however they can console their consciences with the windfall profits that this measure will bring. This is a big profit increase for retail 81% of the price increase, with the government satisfied with 19% (23/123 or 23% vat). Here in the south of RoI the retailers can cash in as it's not economical to shop for beer in NI.
    Both publicans and the big brewers will be delighted as the price difference between their standard product and cheaper competition reduces.
    We will compliantly pay much more for a slab, the government will not upset retail, publicans or brewers and be happy with 19% of the windfall because they can borrow more money if needed. NI once more a little fly in the ointment that so pleased retail, brewers publicans and "our" government.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,096 ✭✭✭✭rob316

It's win win for retailers, why would they reject it? Tesco, Dunnes etc are losing money on those slabls. Consumer will still by them anyway, just pay more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭tallaghtfornia

rob316 wrote: »
    It's win win for retailers, why would they reject it? Tesco, Dunnes etc are losing money on those slabls. Consumer will still by them anyway, just pay more.

Deffo going to do a booze run once a month once this kicks in - Id say the off license in Jonesborough will be rubbing there hands knowing this is coming in South

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

How much of the price offers is below cost selling by the supermarkets?

How can a pub get away with selling a pint for north of €5 while the supermarket were selling a 500 ml (which is nearly a pint) can for €1? I thought the sums were a third of the pub price went to the brewer, Gov, and the publican. That would suggest a can should cost about €1.66.

Would they not bring in a ban on below cost selling for alcohol instead?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭bladespin

Deffo going to do a booze run once a month once this kicks in - Id say the off license in Jonesborough will be rubbing there hands knowing this is coming in South

Absolutely, what little I buy here now will be bought in NI as soon as this takes hold, there'll be traffic jams of vans in Newry, Enniskillen and Strabane.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭DodoDojo

Does anyone know when this could realistically come in? If it gets passed, would they give the public a set date or would it just happen immediately?.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,500 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

And the North won't being it in when they realise the amount of money being made from it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭TimHorton

Ye, the drinks producers must have gotten far more notice than Joe Public.

Yes, A Diageo rep was in the local supermarket saying many wines will be €11 min and Tesco Own Brand Brandy will only be a few euro cheaper than Hennessey etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭shnaek

bladespin wrote: »
    Absolutely, what little I buy here now will be bought in NI as soon as this takes hold, there'll be traffic jams of vans in Newry, Enniskillen and Strabane.

Certainly a 38% difference makes it worth while.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,212 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

40 pound up north standard price for redbreast 12, down here cheapest ya can get it is 65... this all in the country the whiskey is produced.... joke

• Registered Users Posts: 18,096 ✭✭✭✭rob316

TimHorton wrote: »
    Yes, A Diageo rep was in the local supermarket saying many wines will be €11 min and Tesco Own Brand Brandy will only be a few euro cheaper than Hennessey etc.

That's the idea of it, kill the white label brands and the likes of dutch gold etc. It is to target the poorest in society, your €2.50 plus a bottle of craft drinks won't be affected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭6541

I will go north and fill a van with beer.

Advertisement