Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Booze deals [Megathread #2]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭NIAC Fanboy

Murt10 wrote: »
    Might be a problem there, I'm not sure, but aren't you are limited in the amount of alcohol (and cigarettes) you can bring into the country, even coming back from holidays in another EU state.

Coming back from the North, and the current Northern Ireland Protocol, I've no idea, but if Revenue decides that you are smuggling, they can seize the car or van being used to break the law, along with all the contraband.

That would be really painful.

A quick stab on Google says you are allowed 9.16 slabs (24 X 500ml)

So you would save about €150, deduct your fuel, tolls, time etc. it's hardly lucrative unless you are near the border.

Grand for a novelty now and again I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭Degag

Which to be fair still isn’t that bad. €1.66 a can be €5 odd in a pub.
    Considering it can often be gotten for €1 a can, i'd consider a 66% increase pretty bad

• Registered Users Posts: 14,973 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Degag wrote: »
    Considering it can often be gotten for €1 a can, i'd consider a 66% increase pretty bad

For a household consuming a modest 10 cans a week it comes to €343 a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,500 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

A quick stab on Google says you are allowed 9.16 slabs (24 X 500ml)

So you would save about €150, deduct your fuel, tolls, time etc. it's hardly lucrative unless you are near the border.

Grand for a novelty now and again I suppose.

Per person.....

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭picachu

Any idea on how much a cask stength whiskey will cost. Say 59%??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭TallGlass2

Them brew your own kits are unaffected right?

TheDriver wrote: »
    Per person.....

That's correct. Still looks like it would be novelty day out for some people now and again though.

Supermarkets here will just discount other things to get us in.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭Garibaldi?

TallGlass2 wrote: »
    Them brew your own kits are unaffected right?

No mention of them being affected by this new law

picachu wrote: »
    Any idea on how much a cask stength whiskey will cost. Say 59%??

It will make no difference. But we could see premium drinks brands sold at a loss to get us in.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭112143

TheDriver wrote: »
    NI is considered EU from that aspect. 10L of spirits And 110L beer per person is a lot for starters.

Is that not a recommended amount?
    Like the maximum cigarette amount, I always thought once it's for personal use it doesn't matter within the EU?
    I've said earlier I already bring back a pile of cigarettes when I travel within the EU, I fully intend on doing the same with alcohol.

Saying that after doing a bit of reading the minimum pricing seems to have saved 500 lives a year in Scotland, perhaps it's worth it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭oceanman

That's correct. Still looks like it would be novelty day out for some people now and again though.

Supermarkets here will just discount other things to get us in.
    but its not other things we are looking for.......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Caranica wrote: »
    O'Brien's have some decent spirit offers at the moment https://www.obrienswine.ie/collections/spirits-offers

Connemara @ 35 is good value

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭SkatesOn

112143 wrote: »
    Saying that after doing a bit of reading the minimum pricing seems to have saved 500 lives a year in Scotland, perhaps it's worth it.

Banned! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

How long would cheap supermarket brand vodkas/gins/whiskeys keep? Indefinitely?

112143 wrote: »

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-48853004

Their drug related deaths have soared over the same period. Taking one without the other is a foolish exercise.

Edit: a different source.....

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-55184961
    The much-delayed figures show a record number of deaths for the sixth year in a row and the highest total since records began in 1996.

The figure of 1,264 is a 6% increase on 2018 and more than double the number of deaths in 2014.

It is the worst rate recorded in Europe and about three and a half times the rate for England and Wales.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

There's significant cultural differences to bear in mind between here and Scotland too.

The poorer areas have life expectancies among the lowest in Europe and skulling cans of cheap lager is the norm in many parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,096 ✭✭✭✭rob316

2ndcoming wrote: »
    There's significant cultural differences to bear in mind between here and Scotland too.

The poorer areas have life expectancies among the lowest in Europe and skulling cans of cheap lager is the norm in many parts.

The scottish have Buckfast the most destructive drink ever made. There is no comparison

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭pale rider

Spocker wrote: »

Disappointed if Hop House 13 goes from the Irish market, it took me about 30 pints over time before it really grabbed me, it needed commitment for sure. Also one popular pub charged .50 cent more than other pubs on the basis it was a craft beer, rip off.

Still disappointed if it leaves our market.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,096 ✭✭✭✭rob316

pale rider wrote: »
    Disappointed if Hop House 13 goes from the Irish market, it took me about 30 pints over time before it really grabbed me, it needed commitment for sure. Also one popular pub charged .50 cent more than other pubs on the basis it was a craft beer, rip off.

Still disappointed if it leaves our market.

Its poor and it was placed in the "craft" section of every pub, it just not worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

23% of the 70c would be VAT to the government.
    It is ~19%. The 70c increase already has the VAT added, so you divide it by 123 and multiply by 23.

A 2L of aldi cider will go from €3.99 to €8.36, so a €4.37 increase the gov only gets 82cent of that. Riduiculous to be throwing away potential revenue when we need all the tax we can get.

They indirectly give the figures for the rise.

https://www.rte.ie/documents/news/2021/04/alcohol-report.pdf

"Currently, it is possible for a man to consume his weekly low-risk guideline limit for €7.48"

The low risk is 17 units, so that will be €17, so a €9.52 weekly increase, or €495 per year. And that is for people on the low risk amount. Many will see a rise of way over a grand.

• Advertisement

rob316 wrote: »
    The scottish have Buckfast the most destructive drink ever made. There is no comparison

Bizarre claim. What makes you think it is the most destructive?

It's quite popular here and up North too, FYI.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭Peter File

rob316 wrote: »
    Its poor and it was placed in the "craft" section of every pub, it just not worth it.

It was on tap in lots of bars, not sure about it being placed in the craft section. It's a great drink. Maybe craft snobs would like it if a "craft" brewer relabelled the bottles with a hip name.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,356 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Suppose home consumption will be down when the pubs do reopen and MUP goes live but still it's frustrating

I'll be stocking up on slabs before Xmas anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭Buffman

PTH2009 wrote: »
    I'll be stocking up on slabs before Xmas anyway

Hopefully slabs make a come back, it was mostly 15 for €20 on 'special offer' last weekend.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles to avoid the DRS fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,033 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Buffman wrote: »
    Hopefully slabs make a come back, it was mostly 15 for €20 on 'special offer' last weekend.

I picked up two Coors Light for 24 each last week in Tesco and then as I was walking away looking at my phone the trolley bumped into some green crates stacked on top of one another with single cans of Bulmers, Bulmers Light and Rockshore cider for 60 cent each. I took the lot and left the Orchard Thieves.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

I’ll just stock up on a load of spirits over the next few months.
    It’s the ultimate in blackboard economics driven by a strong lobby group.

Poor people will end spending a higher % of income on booze and students will probably turn to pills as they are cheaper and a better high.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭93Cab

Nothing of note in Dunnes today, Lidl have Bud slabs for €24 and 18 packs of Hophouse 13 for 24 ( never seen 18 packs before) !

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭phunkadelic

Peter File wrote: »
    It was on tap in lots of bars, not sure about it being placed in the craft section. It's a great drink. Maybe craft snobs would like it if a "craft" brewer relabelled the bottles with a hip name.
    It doesn't take a craft beer 'snob' to spot a pint of pisswater

• Registered Users Posts: 10,622 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

How long would cheap supermarket brand vodkas/gins/whiskeys keep? Indefinitely?

Yep.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,356 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

okidoki987 wrote: »
    Yep.

I will never consume any Tesco brand alcohol

Looking at the bottle would make me gag

Advertisement