Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Booze deals [Megathread #2]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

I picked up two Coors Light for 24 each last week in Tesco and then as I was walking away looking at my phone the trolley bumped into some green crates stacked on top of one another with single cans of Bulmers, Bulmers Light and Rockshore cider for 60 cent each. I took the lot and left the Orchard Thieves.

I got a slab of Rockshore for 30 in Tesco. I couldn't see any other offers.
    This minimum pricing is a joke albeit not a funny one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Mimon

Peter File wrote: »
    It was on tap in lots of bars, not sure about it being placed in the craft section. It's a great drink. Maybe craft snobs would like it if a "craft" brewer relabelled the bottles with a hip name.

For me it is a mediocre beer, nothing close in quality to any decent craft beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

PTH2009 wrote: »
    I will never consume any Tesco brand alcohol

Looking at the bottle would make me gag

The Aldi Tamova vodka isn't too bad. Not if you're using it for mixed drinks anyway. €13 a bottle, and I assume it will be €20 a bottle in January so I plan to stock up a good bit.

Are any of the budget whiskeys any good neat? I've tried the Aldi bourbon and it's not great, but okay for mixing. Still worth stocking up on as mixers imo.

93Cab wrote: »
    Nothing of note in Dunnes today, Lidl have Bud slabs for €24 and 18 packs of Hophouse 13 for 24 ( never seen 18 packs before) !

Have another look tomorrow, some 1ltr spirits and some of the 15pk slabs are being reduced again for a few days.
    Also the hop house is going nowhere, it's only the UK market that's losing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,300 ✭✭✭✭casio4

Have another look tomorrow, some 1ltr spirits and some of the 15pk slabs are being reduced again for a few days.

Are the 15pk slabs Guinness?

• Advertisement

casio4 wrote: »
    Are the 15pk slabs Guinness?

I think so, there was a memo down from head office about it but I was just finishing for the day, just scanned through it extremely quickly. There won't be anymore 24pk Guinness anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,820 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Peter File wrote: »
    It was on tap in lots of bars, not sure about it being placed in the craft section. It's a great drink. Maybe craft snobs would like it if a "craft" brewer relabelled the bottles with a hip name.

It's not "craft" beer. It's a mass produced lager from one of the world's biggest brewers.

It's literally the opposite of craft beer.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

mfceiling wrote: »
    It's not "craft" beer. It's a mass produced lager from one of the world's biggest brewers.

It's literally the opposite of craft beer.

It is not craft beer, it is crafty marketing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭Buffman

Lidl still have slabs of 24 Bud, Carling, and Molson Canadian for €24 at the moment. No end date that I could see so I guess it's until stock is gone. Edit: It is 'while stocks last'.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles to avoid the DRS fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,178 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

It is not craft beer, it is crafty marketing.

It's watery fizzy alcohol, have yet to taste a craft beer that bad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭tinner777

spirits, talk to me 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭andrew1977

12 cans of Guinness 15 euro in centra .Just picked up a pack on way home .

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Tesco had 15 guinness for €20, worked out as €32 if it was 24. This does not show online for me, they also had 12 guinness for €19

O Briens had 12x500ml bulmers for €15, so €30 for 24 and if they were the usual 440ml you see in the likes of tesco that would be €26.40 for 24x440ml. They also had tennants for €1 which is ongoing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

https://shop.supervalu.ie/shopping/specialoffers/wine-beer-spirits/150200595

Super Valu seem to have the best offers this weekend. 12 cans of Guinness or Heineken for €15 so €30 for a slab.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭shnaek

112143 wrote: »
    Saying that after doing a bit of reading the minimum pricing seems to have saved 500 lives a year in Scotland, perhaps it's worth it.

"The Irish Independent has seen a report that looked into the introduction of MUP in Scotland over the last two years.

It found no support for a belief that it saved lives in the short term, and estimated that a reduction in morbidity and mortality might only be seen 10 years after its introduction."

Saying that after doing a bit of reading the minimum pricing seems to have saved 500 lives a year in Scotland, perhaps it's worth it.
    If that is true then an increase in excise would have saved thousands more AND got much needed revenue, win-win.

58mnxc.jpg

If their intention really was harm reduction then more expensive drinks should really be taxed even more somehow. So the wealthy people will be similarly deterred, since if excise was upped by say €0.60 per unit they could still easily afford it. People at the safe drinking limit drinking cheaper stuff will see a €500 rise per year, if they think that is fair on low income people then they could get several thousand from people drinking expensive wine & whiskey.
    How long would cheap supermarket brand vodkas/gins/whiskeys keep? Indefinitely?
    Yes, the only stuff in the spirits section to worry about is the likes of Baileys which does have a BB date, any cream based liqueurs may be similar. I spotted ancient ones in my parents, I must open one and check the state of it. I would imagine it is still safe to drink but might separated or something.

Some other flavoured ones might deteriorate a little over time, but they will not become toxic or anything. e.g.
    The shelf life of Kahlua is four years after its production date, so after this time it should be thrown out. ... Although Kahlua doesn't technically expire for four years, it is recommended to drink Kahlua long before its expiration date for optimal flavor

• Registered Users Posts: 5,983 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

rubadub wrote: »
    If that is true then an increase in excise would have saved thousands more AND got much needed revenue, win-win.

Then the government would be accused of stealth taxation and using public health as a decoy for raising taxes.

People are going to moan about this no matter what way it is implemented. That doesn't make it a bad idea.

Targetting lower priced drinks more selectively than higher priced makes sense from the public health perspective because that's what your average alcoholic (or teenager) goes after.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭oceanman

Then the government would be accused of stealth taxation and using public health as a decoy for raising taxes.

People are going to moan about this no matter what way it is implemented. That doesn't make it a bad idea.
    it is a bad idea though....:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 38,356 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

The timing of this is taking the piss

How is it stealth?, it is blatant tax, excise duty, known all around the world and fully recognised as a "sin tax" for heatlth reasons.

The only stealthy thing going on at the moment is the pro groups being stealthy and not being open about this NOT being a tax. I still think the majority of people out there presume it is a tax. Look at anything on twitter or comments on the journal etc and there are loads of people moaning about the government "fleecing us for more tax"
    Not collecting all this potential tax revenue is certainly a bad idea. I don't know how anybody could argue against it. Now of course many would not like a rise in excise as it would effect them, instead it just hits the poor who they do not give a flying fcuk about. "I'm alright jack"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭bladespin

Absolutely, we're about to step into a massive recession and they're essentially just sticking a another tax on the average joe/josphine, thanks for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,983 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

When home consumption of alcohol is rocketing, it would seem like exactly the right time to introduce it?

When home consumption of alcohol is rocketing, it would seem like exactly the right time to introduce it?

It's rocketing because it's the only place it can be consumed for the past year, the figures are significantly skewed.

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭amber69

With the pubs closed for so long there's a worry for the vintners association that people won't go back to drinking in their establishments. They're a massive lobbying block with a lot of politicians or their families owning pubs and or hotels. Drive up the price for people drinking at home and they might just go back.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,945 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Why is increased home consumption of alcohol a problem, when overall alcohol consumption dropped 6% in 2020?
    The only people that would be bothering are publicans?

So in a period when more drinking was done at home... it is therefore reasonable to conclude that more of the alcohol purchased was done so at lower supermarket and off licence prices versus pub, restaurant, stadium, venue prices.
    And yet alcohol consumption dropped.
    People didn't respond by drinking more at cheaper prices.
    Suggesting the drinking was price inelastic.
    Suggesting the entire philosophy underlying MUP is flawed.

Unless it's just a revenue generating exercise for alcohol sellers.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭112143

Is it a tax or not? Who gets the extra money?
    I'm not for the increase, I just thought if it would save a few lives it would be worth it, I still think more education is a better idea.

I'm not for the increase, I just thought if it would save a few lives it would be worth it, I still think more education is a better idea.

It's not a tax. The extra money goes to the retailers.

A good explanation here of why the government won't get any extra revenue from it - and may even get less:
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=117099698&postcount=5585

• Registered Users Posts: 82,564 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Retailer.

We could ban cars on the road after 9pm, that would save lives too.

odyssey06 wrote: »
    It's not a tax. The extra money goes to the retailers.

It's a tax, added cost applied to an item unnecessarily, it doesn't really matter who gets the difference, it' another few euro less in your pocket each month or go without.

• Advertisement

bladespin wrote: »
    It's a tax, added cost applied to an item unnecessarily, it doesn't really matter who gets the difference, it' another few euro less in your pocket each month or go without.

It's not a "tax" though, that makes people think the money is going to fund government services. It's worse than that, it's a government mandating retailers to pick your pockets.

Advertisement