Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Booze deals [Megathread #2]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭GY A1

Is bulmers still on offer in dunnes or anywhere else

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭tallaghtfornia

Tazz T wrote: »
    I'm struggling to find the cans at the moment. Seem to be sold out as soon as they come in especially Supervalu which has had a bit of a discount on them.

Speaking to my Guinness friend they are struggling with small packs and both canning plants in Belfast and Runcorn are at capacity due to global demand for Guinness in cans - was also telling me that they have outsourced the canning of rockshore/carlsberg/tuborg/hop house 8Pk cans to a canning company in Hertfordshire in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,150 ✭✭✭mistersifter

I hear Heineken are making a new stout to compete with Guinness.

Cant wait not to buy that.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

They are calling it Island's Edge. :eek:

9f6f74cbc8f693e62fdeaf0860f6fe14_640x640.jpg

That's probably where most of it will end up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,983 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Don't they own both Murphy's and Beamish??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Why? If it’s decent and cheap (doubt it will be) I’d buy it.

Guinness, Beamish, Murphys are all very similar. If Heineken’s version is similar I’ll give it a whirl again dependent on price.

O haras have one now too. Meant to be nice but it’s a couple of euro a can and when Guinness can be got at just over a euro a can normally it’s hard to justify any of the others.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭testtech05

Don't they own both Murphy's and Beamish??

I thought the same tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 12,500 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

They could do a Beamish on it and have a cheaper price as its main selling point

TheDriver wrote: »
    They could do a Beamish on it and have a cheaper price as its main selling point

Beamish isn't really cheaper though.

The problem with Beamish and Murphys is they don't sell crates so you're stuck with 4s of Beamish around e8 and 6 of Murphys for e13ish.

You are correct in a sense that the Guinness 4 or 6 pack may be dearer(I think 4 Guinness is the same as Beamish really at around e8). But Guinness gets cheaper the more you buy.

If you meant the pub trade, yes both may be cheaper but I only know one place I go to here that sells Murphys and none who sell Beamish.

Personally I find they're all similar quality wise and all have some good points.
    I'm happy enough get cans of any of them and often mix and match along with the OHaras and Left Hand.

Why? If it’s decent and cheap (doubt it will be) I’d buy it.

Guinness, Beamish, Murphys are all very similar. If Heineken’s version is similar I’ll give it a whirl again dependent on price.

O haras have one now too. Meant to be nice but it’s a couple of euro a can and when Guinness can be got at just over a euro a can normally it’s hard to justify any of the others.

I wasnt being entirely serious but I imagine it'll be shíte - like somewhat akin to what Rockshore and Molson are to lager or maybe Orchard Thieves to cider.

Like a lot of people, Id be fussier about stout than lager and I'd opt for a bland lager over a mediocre stout, so this new pint would have to be very nice for me to bother with it.

Never tried O'Haras but must give it a lash. I've tried Stella Noir and a few other stouts sold abroad and didnt like them. I have never really enjoyed a black beer that wasnt Guinness or Murphy's. Beamish is grand but I wouldnt bother too much with it either.

Don't think Guinness Foreign Extra will be bet. Delicious stuff.

• Advertisement

I have never really enjoyed a black beer that wasnt Guinness or Murphy's. Beamish is grand but I wouldnt bother too much with it either.

You're missing out, particularly if you are willing to try new stuff out.

I asked on here a while ago about a black IPA I hadn't seen in ages named Coalface by Kinnegar brewing but it has been discontinued. It was lovely. Some of the recommendations that were offered by other posters at that time:

Black Bucket out of Kinnegar - a black rye IPA
    9 White Deer - Black Lightning
    Wicklow Wolf & Dot - Guardian of the Galaxy
    8 Degrees - Hill of the Serpent
    Blacks of Kinsale - Black IPA
    Metalman - Moonbeam India Black Ale

If you're into German beers, there's a whole sub-genre of dunkelbiers to get your teeth into. Pretty much all of the bigger (and most of the smaller) braueri produce one or two. You'll find the Paulaner and erdinger versions everywhere. Some of the others to keep an eye out for are
    Weihenstephaner
    Konig Ludwig
    Hacker-Pschorr Dunkel Weisse
    Ayinger Urweisse dunkel and
    Schneiderweisse dunkel

Edit: Think you've inspired me to try my hand at one for my next batch of homebrew

You're missing out, particularly if you are willing to try new stuff out.

I asked on here a while ago about a black IPA I hadn't seen in ages named Coalface by Kinnegar brewing but it has been discontinued. It was lovely. Some of the recommendations that were offered by other posters at that time:

Black Bucket out of Kinnegar - a black rye IPA
    9 White Deer - Black Lightning
    Wicklow Wolf & Dot - Guardian of the Galaxy
    8 Degrees - Hill of the Serpent
    Blacks of Kinsale - Black IPA
    Metalman - Moonbeam India Black Ale

If you're into German beers, there's a whole sub-genre of dunkelbiers to get your teeth into. Pretty much all of the bigger (and most of the smaller) braueri produce one or two. You'll find the Paulaner and erdinger versions everywhere. Some of the others to keep an eye out for are
    Weihenstephaner
    Konig Ludwig
    Hacker-Pschorr Dunkel Weisse
    Ayinger Urweisse dunkel and
    Schneiderweisse dunkel

Edit: Think you've inspired me to try my hand at one for my next batch of homebrew

Mission accepted!!

Cheers for those suggestions, I'll get cracking on that this weekend :D

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭DublinCJM

Mission accepted!!

Cheers for those suggestions, I'll get cracking on that this weekend :D

If you happen to spot any "deals" while you're out there, then pop 'em in here :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

A vote here for Wicklow wolf Oatmeal stout, unbelievably nice and an easy transition for a Guinness drinker.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

The Islands edge is only 4%, so I reckon that will put people off, even though its only a very small bit weaker than the usual ones. People seem to have their mind made up about things.

For some odd reason the beers here tend to be 4.3% (guinness is 4.2% here 4.1% in the UK). I think there is only 1 other country in the world where heineken is 4.3%.

If they had upped it to 4.5%-5% I reckon they would have seen a lot more people try it.
    According to Paula Conlon, marketing manager for stouts and ciders at Heineken Ireland, the new launch will aim to "rejuvenate" the stout category.

"Island’s Edge offers a modern take on stout with a refreshing taste and a progressive attitude. The unexpected addition of tea to the stout has resulted in a smoother, creamier, more accessible stout which consumers loved in taste tests," she said.

GY A1 wrote: »
    Is bulmers still on offer in dunnes or anywhere else
    Still €15 for 12x500ml in obriens, this would be €26.40 if it was 24x440ml.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

rubadub wrote: »
    The Islands edge is only 4%, so I reckon that will put people off, even though its only a very small bit weaker than the usual ones. People seem to have their mind made up about things.

For some odd reason the beers here tend to be 4.3% (guinness is 4.2% here 4.1% in the UK). I think there is only 1 other country in the world where heineken is 4.3%.

If they had upped it to 4.5%-5% I reckon they would have seen a lot more people try it.

The 4.2% is to do with excise tax. It would be better if the normal was 5% as it is in many countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

If there is one thing I never wanted in my stout it’s tea.

Coffee, chocolate, cocoa flavours maybe. But tea? Really?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭Hoboo

stimpson wrote: »
    If there is one thing I never wanted in my stout it’s tea.

Coffee, chocolate, cocoa flavours maybe. But tea? Really?

Apparently Guinness has chocolate and coffee "notes". I wish this nonsense would stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭Hugo_Whoriskey

rubadub wrote: »

Was one of the taste and branding testers for this (islands edge wasn't one of the ones shown then, but none of them were any better tbh).
    It was actually a lovely stout tbh, if the one we got was the one that'll be launched. The tea was mentioned so it may well be. Had assumed it was Molson coors launching it as Heineken already have two in their portfolio but there you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,985 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Hoboo wrote: »
    Apparently Guinness has chocolate and coffee "notes". I wish this nonsense would stop.

what do you mean?
    are you saying that drinks in general do not have smells and tastes or just guinness?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

The 4.2% is to do with excise tax. It would be better if the normal was 5% as it is in many countries.
    lower % means lower excise tax, but that is the case in many/most countries.

I used to think there was something special about 4.3%, like it was entering a new tax band or something, and if it went to 4.4% it would be significantly more tax but that is not the case. At 2.8% beer is half the excise duty rate per unit alcohol. Tesco used to have a value beer that took advantage of that.

https://www.revenue.ie/en/companies-and-charities/excise-and-licences/excise-duty-rates/alcohol-products-tax.aspx

https://twitter.com/Heineken_IE/status/374906420337979392
    Aaron McAllorum
    Sep 2, 2013
    @Heineken_IE
    why is Heineken in Ireland only available at 4.3% abv and not at 5% abv like the rest of Europe?

Heineken Ireland
    @Heineken_IE
    @AaronMcAllorum
    Hi Aaron, in Ireland the cultural standard abv for the majority of beer brands is 4.3%, so we abide by that abv standard

• Registered Users Posts: 29,943 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

That will make a difference when MUP comes in... 4% beer could be 20% cheaper at the minimum price than 5% beer?
    We might start seeing more wines stocked at 12% / 12.5% as they could be priced cheaper than 14%.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Appleman and Orchard Thieves 500ml cider cans were €1 each this evening in Tesco.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭PGE1970

bazz26 wrote: »
    Appleman and Orchard Thieves 500ml cider cans were €1 each this evening in Tesco.

Apologies for being slight off topic but can anyone recommend a cider that is not sickly sweet or over fizzy (as I find those two & Bulmers)?

The best "non-sweet" cider that I can find is Cullens in Aldi but it is still quite sweet.

I love Longeville cider but at €4.50 a bottle, it's not for your normal Friday night out the back brew!!

Anything a bit drier out there at a booze deal price?

Thanks!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

PGE1970 wrote: »
    Apologies for being slight off topic but can anyone recommend a cider that is not sickly sweet or over fizzy (as I find those two & Bulmers)?

The best "non-sweet" cider that I can find is Cullens in Aldi but it is still quite sweet.

I love Longeville cider but at €4.50 a bottle, it's not for your normal Friday night out the back brew!!

Thanks!!

Stonewell Dry Cider is quite nice but not exactly cheap https://www.stonewellcider.com/product/stonewell-dry-cider/

JohnK wrote: »
    Stonewell Dry Cider is quite nice but not exactly cheap https://www.stonewellcider.com/product/stonewell-dry-cider/

Cheers, I've tried it and it's also very nice but, as you say, it's a premium price.

I'm looking for a "couple of cans in the fridge on standby" type! I accept that it won't be at the quality or Longueville or Stonewell but something that doesn't taste like syrup would be nice!!

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭Hugo_Whoriskey

Cheers, I've tried it and it's also very nice but, as you say, it's a premium price.

I'm looking for a "couple of cans in the fridge on standby" type! I accept that it won't be at the quality or Longueville or Stonewell but something that doesn't taste like syrup would be nice!!

https://groceries.aldi.ie/en-GB/ALDIIE/p-dry-500ml-armagh-craft-cider/4088600012537

This is pretty good, €2 a bottle

Thanks Hugo, that looks the ticket!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

I'm not a cider drinker, but usually have a few of the medium (Armagh) ciders in the fridge, during the summer months. Excellent stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭oceanman

Thanks!!
    rockshore cider is not very sweet, nice bitter taste.

Advertisement