Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WARNING! Santa Christmas Drive Thru (Limerick Racecourse)

• 05-12-2020 8:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,079 ✭✭✭

I don't say this lightly and I don't like to knock people trying to make a few Bob but this was absolutely disgraceful.

It was like something out of an episode of father Ted.

You arrive up at the gates of Limerick Racecourse but don't go in. You are told to turn left down a small boreen. You proceed in the pitch dark to a small gazebo you would pick up for about 20 quid in Aldi during the summer. You are met by two elves standing in the pitch dark without a Christmas light to be seen.

You move on further up the road in the pitch dark to once again be met by more elves (19 or 20 year olds dressed as elves with no interest in being there). Once again in the pitch dark.

You progress further up this boreen through the light tunnel (that has no lights). To more "elves" once again in the pitch dark.

I think you are starting to see the trend here.

We caught up with other cars and were in a queue of cars to see Mrs.Claus and her kitchen. After about 20mins of waiting we saw our opportunity to get out and skipped passed the other cars and made our way out of there. You had to pass Santa on the way so we stopped to be met by a young fella dressed in a Santa suit they got in the eurostore.

We laughed most of the way around more in disbelief for what we were seeing.

There were so many cars waiting to progress that some poor kids had to get out and go into the field to use the toilet.

This event needs to be shut down immediately and refunds processed.

If you have booked and are thinking of going then I urge you to reconsider.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭paulers06

Jofspring wrote: »
    I don't say this lightly and I don't like to knock people trying to make a few Bob but this was absolutely disgraceful.

You arrive up at the gates of Limerick Racecourse but don't go in. You are told to turn left down a small boreen. You proceed in the pitch dark to a small gazebo you would pick up for about 20 quid in Aldi during the summer. You are met by two elves standing in the pitch dark without a Christmas light to be seen.

You move on further up the road in the pitch dark to once again be met by more elves (19 or 20 year olds dressed as elves with no interest in being there). Once again in the pitch dark.

You progress further up this boreen through the light tunnel (that has no lights). To more "elves" once again in the pitch dark.

We caught up with other cars and were in a queue of cars to see Mrs.Claus and her kitchen. After about 20mins of waiting we saw our opportunity to get out and skipped passed the other cars and made our way out of there. You had to pass Santa on the way so we stopped to be met by a young fella dressed in a Santa suit they got in the eurostore.

There were so many cars waiting to progress that some poor kids had to get out and go into the field to use the toilet.

Disappointed to hear this as have tickets booked for a couple of weeks time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

There were loads of people echoing your comments on Facebook just there but I see they’ve deleted the posts

Quite a few people asking for refunds

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

Jofspring wrote: »

Don't tell me you missed The Tunnel of Goats !!!!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,522 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Cancelled. Blamed on a coordinated social media smear campaign and cancel culture. :rolleyes:

(Not because it was sh*t, overpriced, amateurish, low budget and a total shambles)

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Marty1983

You should see the crazy email they sent out today! Was meant to go tonight:

Santa statement

Hello,

Unfortunately, we have to cancel the event going forward. A false social media storm has begun and we cannot continue the show safely. We need to put the safety our our actors first and some parents are not respecting social distancing.

We are very proud of the event we created and wanted to give kids a safe COVID-compliant Santa experience.

Our event has unfortunately been subject to the unforgiving cancel culture on social media. We took great pride in the effort and show our amazing actors put on. We began this event with the mission of spreading Christmas cheer during this Pandemic which has dampened many spirits and feel we delivered on that mission yesterday.

Covid guidelines were the utmost priority during this event. At the outset, we told all customers no presents, photos or food were to be given, as we wished to maintain our status as a no-contact event and to do our civic duty during this harsh pandemic landscape.

We cancelled this event due to the safety of our actors being compromised. Our excellent actors are worthy of respect and security. The angry and abusive customers, most of whom have yet to even attend the event, have and are still currently barraging them with mindless disrespect and hurtful words. They are also sharing photos of underage actors on social media which we feel should be removed immediately. These are very young actors who worked very hard and don’t deserve this backlash.

We are sorry to disappoint customers that were excited to attend our show.

As we conclude this event we would like to thank all the kind and honest customers who left positive feedback, and our exemplary staff for the show they put on.

Merry Christmas to all,
    Team Drive Thru

• Advertisement

It would be a bit strange if this message was supposed to go out tonight.

Seeing as the Event was cancelled with effect from noon today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Harpy

mgbgt1978 wrote: »
    It would be a bit strange if this message was supposed to go out tonight.

Seeing as the Event was cancelled with effect from noon today.

I think they meant that they where meant to attend the drive thru themselves tonight.

Sound like a complete shambles going by Facebook I wonder who was behind it.

Sorry Marty1983.
    I see what you meant now (Thanks Harpy).:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭source

If any of you are looking for a replacement, we went to Bunratty yesterday with the kids and it was great. We were in there for an hour and a half, the big man comes out of the castle at the start and addresses all the kids in the castle forecourt. Great social distancing with large spaces marked out for each family.

Then you're left to roam the park which is all lit up with Christmas lights and decorations. It was €10 per adult and €8 per child. Well worth that money.

Please note the restrictions of travel out of the county are in place until Dec 18th

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 438 ✭✭The_Dave

source wrote: »
    If any of you are looking for a replacement, we went to Bunratty yesterday with the kids and it was great.
    Travel outside the county not permitted "apart from work, education and other essential purposes".

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

The_Dave wrote: »
    Travel outside the county not permitted "apart from work, education and other essential purposes".

How do you know that Source doesn't live just outside Limerick in Co Clare?

The rule is pretty much out the window anyway as there are no longer any checkpoints on the road. Not that the Guards had any power to stop you.

How do you know that Source doesn't live just outside Limerick in Co Clare?
    I don't, but this is a Limerick forum and I don't think it's right to advise people to travel outside it when current guidance is we must stay within our county, subject to the three exceptions!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Parabellum9

I don't, but this is a Limerick forum and I don't think it's right to advise people to travel outside it when current guidance is we must stay within our county, subject to the three exceptions!!!

It's Bunratty......a 10 min drive from the Coonagh roundabout. They aren't being advised to drive to Galway ffs.

It's Bunratty......a 10 min drive from the Coonagh roundabout. They aren't being advised to drive to Galway ffs.
    We can't pick and choose the rules.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Parabellum9

We can't pick and choose the rules.

Covid doesn't care about those three rules - someone going to Bunratty is not anymore of a risk than a child going to school in Clare or someone travelling to work in Shannon. Stupid rules are made to be broken.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Mod Note: Can we not turn this into covid police or another covid do's and don't thread please.
    The restrictions are there. People are asked to adhere to them.
    I added a note to the post

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

As this event has been cancelled I don't think there is much to be said about it that hasn't already been said.
    535304.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement