Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Accidental drowning of a hedgehog

• 05-12-2020 10:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,981 ✭✭✭

Just want to share my sad story from today.

Last summer I put a plastic bucket of water in my dogs run so that he would never run out of a drink too easily.

I'd occasionally put dog meat cans in the run with partial bots of meat left in them to amuse the dog in trying to get the meat out.

This morning when I was tidying I saw a sad sight of a beautiful adult hedgehog floating dead in the dogs water bucket

I'm guessing he was attracted to the dog food cans, got thirsty climbed up into the bucket for a drink, fell in and sadly was unable to get back out.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,356 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

best not to leave the cans out, let alone the water - was actually just watching this video an hour or so ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

I rescued an adult hedgehog that had hot stuck in a wheelbarrow that was leaning tight against a wall. Luckily it had been there less than 24 hours. They seem to get themselves into trouble quite bit.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,356 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

We had a blind one that was forever getting into scrapes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭gzoladz

Should hedgehogs not be hibernating now? I have ready about a few sightings recently what surprsised me.

Ours was up and about until a few days ago. Depends on how mild it's been.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,269 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

How is the hedgehog population doing here? Are they in decline? They're lovely creatures

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭ThunderCat

IrishHomer wrote: »
    Just want to share my sad story from today.

Last summer I put a plastic bucket of water in my dogs run so that he would never run out of a drink too easily.

I'd occasionally put dog meat cans in the run with partial bots of meat left in them to amuse the dog in trying to get the meat out.

This morning when I was tidying I saw a sad sight of a beautiful adult hedgehog floating dead in the dogs water bucket

I'm guessing he was attracted to the dog food cans, got thirsty climbed up into the bucket for a drink, fell in and sadly was unable to get back out.

Sad thing to witness alright.

I have a similar tale and hopefully it helps other not to make the same mistake. The last house I lived in was quite old and the rain water would run down the drainpipe and into the drain with the drain itself being quite open and fairly large. It had a water level to it. The reason I mention the house was old is because the new house I am in now, the drain is a fraction of the size so perhaps the bigger drain is more common on older houses. Anyway one day I noticed the water level of the drain was a lot higher than usual despite the weather being dry and I put my hand in there to remove what I thought was leaves or rubbish or whatever else. But it turned out to be a hedgehog that obviously fell in trying to get the water but the waterline would have been half a foot or more below the concrete around the drain opening. Until it happened it was something that never even crossed my mind. So if you have a similar style drain that doesn't currently have a drain cover, might be a good idea to get one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭gzoladz

Ours was up and about until a few days ago. Depends on how mild it's been.

Nice! My target for the next spring after finding wild badgers and pine marten this year. Hedgehog should be easier.

Our lad was up and about yesterday (he's blind so he can't tell night from day). I assume when it's mild during the day, other hogs would be fully in hibernation because it's bright during the day and too cold at night, but this lad doesn't have that behaviour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,640 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I had a strand of electric fence broke and fell onto the ground on the farm.

When I found it a hedgehog had wandered across it, the shock made him curl up, but with the fence wrapped up in the curl so it continued to shock and so kill him.

• Advertisement
Advertisement