Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir mobile WIFI Calling

Options
  • 06-12-2020 1:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭

I am with Vodafone bill at the moment, thinking to switch to Eir Bill as I am Eir broadband customer and could get €10 off per month if became Eir mobile customer too.
    The thing is Eir coverage is quite bad indoors, unlike Vodafone’s.
    Anyone using WIFI Calling feature with EIR ,how does it work for you ?
    I’ll be getting IPhone 12 on bill , so any iOS experience with WI FI Calling would be great to know.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭heroics

I had it up to about 18months ago I had an iPhone 8 and it was great when it worked.

Couple of issues was if I was on a call through WiFi calling and walked out of the house the call would drop as I loved off the WiFi.

It also didn’t always work for inbound calls.

Eventually I called “support” as main reason for going with Eir was WiFi calling as coverage is brutal. They said it should work and we’re absolutely useless. As soon as Vodafone had WiFi calling I moved from Eir and tbh I’ll never go back.

Just as an aside if you live around north wicklow/sandycove/Blackrock at the time the coverage for data was barely usable compared to Vodafone. This may have improved in the last while.

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭babelfish1990

alec76 wrote: »
    I am with Vodafone bill at the moment, thinking to switch to Eir Bill as I am Eir broadband customer and could get €10 off per month if became Eir mobile customer too.
    The thing is Eir coverage is quite bad indoors, unlike Vodafone’s.
    Anyone using WIFI Calling feature with EIR ,how does it work for you ?
    I’ll be getting IPhone 12 on bill , so any iOS experience with WI FI Calling would be great to know.

I have used Eir Wi-Fi calling for several years, and never have any issues with it. I use Android, but IOS works also. The Eir Wi-Fi calling service is much more comprehensive that Vodafone's version. Eir's version includes text as well as voice. Although you might think text is not important, it is still used by many banks etc for 2 factor-authentication. Eir also let you use WiFi calling abroad to bypass roaming charges (when you are allowed travel again!). Eir's service applies to all their bill-pay customers, including their €9.99 unlimited SIM-only plan. Vodafone's service is limited to some of the premium plans.

One limitation of Eir WiFi calling is that there is no in-call handover to the public network when you leave your house. I don't find this a major issue, but you need to be aware of it.

With any WiFi calling service, you need to ensure that you have good quality seamless WiFi throughout your home (and garden, if you want to use it out there also). It is worth investing in a Mesh WiFi system if you don't already have one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭alec76

One limitation of Eir WiFi calling is that there is no in-call handover to the public network when you leave your house. I don't find this a major issue, but you need to be aware of it.

Thank you ,when you say public network do you mean cellular network ?
    Must I turn off WiFi calling every time I am leaving the house in order to connect to cellular network? If so,could it be android related btw?

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭babelfish1990

alec76 wrote: »
    Thank you ,when you say public network do you mean cellular network ?
    Must I turn off WiFi calling every time I am leaving the house in order to connect to cellular network? If so,could it be android related btw?

Yes - by public network, I was referring to the cellular network. No need to turn off WiFi calling when you leave the house. The phone automatically selects the best network for the call, inside or out. The limitation arises if you are already on a call, and want to handover from WiFi to cellular as you leave home. You need to hang up and make a new call on cellular if you want to do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,148 ✭✭✭shanec1928

i attempted to move to eir in november for wifi calling. i couldnt get it to work on ipone xs mas and an iphone xr, contacted Eir and they said that they did have some issues with wifi calling on IOS but that i could try it on an andriod phone to see if it would work. worked no problem on the android phone. So ported back out of eir less than 24 hours after joining them and back to vodfone for wifi calling which works just fine for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭alec76

shanec1928 wrote: »
    So ported back out of eir less than 24 hours after joining them and back to vodfone for wifi calling which works just fine for me.
    Too bad ... I was hopping to get IPhone 12 for €49 and €49 pm bill pay ( €10 pm off for existing broadband customers)
    So , when you back to Vodafone after 24 hours, would you be the NEW customer to Vodafone ? ( Vodafone got some good deals for the new customers too :)

Advertisement