Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying options (post Brexit)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Tin Man

I've been looking at Amazon.de, Amazon.es, Amazon.fr and a German site called CaseKing.de to put together a new pc build. My only worry is the power cable to the plug on the wall for a 700w sfx PSU

Does anyone know if I'll need to get an adaptor and is an adaptor ok for a 700w PSU or will I need something else?

Could I just replace the plug cable with another one either by re-wiring it like a normal plug or replacing the whole cable?

I've got a 700w ATX PSU from the last PC I bought in 2013. Would the plug cable from that be the same?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,062 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Tin Man wrote: »
    I've been looking at Amazon.de, Amazon.es, Amazon.fr and a German site called CaseKing.de to put together a new pc build. My only worry is the power cable to the plug on the wall for a 700w sfx PSU

Does anyone know if I'll need to get an adaptor and is an adaptor ok for a 700w PSU or will I need something else?

Could I just replace the plug cable with another one either by re-wiring it like a normal plug or replacing the whole cable?

I've got a 700w ATX PSU from the last PC I bought in 2013. Would the plug cable from that be the same?

I wouldn't worry about it. You can use a different cable or an adaptor. This one is 10A which is enough for over 2KW.

https://ie.rs-online.com/web/p/travel-adapters/7839565

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭minitrue

The power cables from wall to PSU are 100% standard (I still call them kettle leads) so yes, you could use your old one (or replace it with a new cheap normal one).

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭TheRover

Tin Man wrote: »

Do you mean this sort of power cable? https://www.amazon.co.uk/C2G-Metre-Power-IEC320C13-Kettle-Black/dp/B002DWA8I2/ref=sr_1_4?

As long as the fuse is still working, anything you have laying around the house should be fine. I am pretty certain my own PSU is not using the power cable that came with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

Yup, it's just a "kettle lead". Just replace the whole cable, it's the same as the one you have from 2013. Adapters would also work fine as a temporary workaround.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,383 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

minitrue wrote: »
    The power cables from wall to PSU are 100% standard (I still call them kettle leads) so yes, you could use your old one (or replace it with a new cheap normal one).

Hold up.

The power cable for my 860W and 1600w are very different. Same end plug, but the adapter bit is much thicker. Think they use the C19.

So the days of standard cables for PSU to wall maybe coming to an end for higher PSU. But I'd say most are the same.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 13,983 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Hold up.

The power cable for my 860W and 1600w are very different. Same end plug, but the adapter bit is much thicker. Think they use the C19.

So the days of standard cables for PSU to wall maybe coming to an end for higher PSU. But I'd say most are the same.

C13 is meant to be rated to 10 amps, which is 2200 watts. I'd guess your 1600w uses a C19 connecter because its accounting for the US energy grid(10 amps, 110v, 1100watts).

It's fair to say that a 1600 watt psu is not normal though.

C13 is meant to be rated to 10 amps, which is 2200 watts. I'd guess your 1600w uses a C19 connecter because its accounting for the US energy grid(10 amps, 110v, 1100watts).

It's fair to say that a 1600 watt psu is not normal though.

I'd agree 1600 is not normal but as GPUs get more beefy it could become common over time.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 13,983 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

I'd agree 1600 is not normal but as GPUs get more beefy it could become common over time.

I can't see this current trend of super power hungry gpu's continuing. We went down this path before, the industry has always segway'd into a better mechanism then more size + power + heat.

I'd like to be a fly on the wall of somebody gaming in a room in summer with a circa 800 watt system while gaming. Thats a ****e load of heat into a room.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,397 ✭✭✭Homelander

Why would you even need a 1600W PSU? I am genuinely curious. You would run RTX3090 in triple SLI with a 10900K at champion levels and you'd still have healthy headroom.

Don't get me wrong some people have legit need for huge wattage supplies but I find there is a massive amount of them get purchased based on 'more is better' or that wattage somehow correlates with quality or how "high end" the PC is.

Or else vague statements like "future upgrades".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Having not read the entire thread, is there a tl;dr for the best place to order stuff at the moment?

Amazon UK are charging some pretty hefty import taxes depending on what's in the basket.
    Scan aren't shipping to Ireland unless you call them up, and even then there'll likely be more charges.
    Not sure about Overclockers, but they're pretty pricey usually anyway. Same with Caseking.
    Amazon DE/ES, etc. seem to be a good option, but prices seem to be quite a bit higher than UK.

Serephucus wrote: »
    Having not read the entire thread, is there a tl;dr for the best place to order stuff at the moment?

Amazon UK are charging some pretty hefty import taxes depending on what's in the basket.
    Scan aren't shipping to Ireland unless you call them up, and even then there'll likely be more charges.
    Not sure about Overclockers, but they're pretty pricey usually anyway. Same with Caseking.
    Amazon DE/ES, etc. seem to be a good option, but prices seem to be quite a bit higher than UK.

Seems amazon.co.uk is still the place to go. For computer parts only the VAT changes from 21% to 23%. And for items under €22, no VAT

Ordered a Corsair PSU this morning (125 quid for the RM850x these days is a very reasonable price) and the Silverstone Fara R1 popped up this morning for 55, which I also totally would have bought if I hadn't spent a bit extra on the be quiet 500DX from amazon.es last week.

Also got 4 arctic fans from amazon.co.uk, but made 4 separate purchases to avail of VAT discount :D

As for prices, I find some stuff is cheaper on other amazons - monitors on amazon.fr for example, even with the extra postage

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

You sure? Because I just threw a random B550 (£136) board into a basket, and I get this:

zOhp3oJ.png

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Aodhan5000

You sure? Because I just threw a random B550 (£136) board into a basket, and I get this:

zOhp3oJ.png

Varies from product to product depending on supplier

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Make sure its not a third party seller

• Registered Users Posts: 12,403 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

that's the Irish vat at 21%

zOhp3oJ.png

I'd say the board wasn't 136.27 as per your screenshot. It was probably a bit more, and on checkout UK VAT was removed and IE VAT was added

I've tried a few things and on all items that are around the same price as that screenshot (£130) there is another £28 in import fees, even items sold directly by Amazon themselves.

Tried 2 processors and two boards.

Also tried OCUK and got a message "Items cannot be shipped to this address".

I think it's going to take a few months for UK deliveries to smooth out. Amazon are big enough to brute force it but sites like OC and Scan probably just don't want the hassle.
    I need a new computer so I don't mind shopping around on the European sites. At least the prices are in Euros and I know there won't be any surprises or last minute custom charges. My biggest issue is probably waiting on the items from France to Ireland. I think An Post are still working through a back log of packages from before Xmas and will be till the end of the month

My invoice on amazon.co.uk for a £125 PSU this morning

Item(s) Subtotal: £104.17
    Postage & Packing: £0.00
    Total Before VAT: £104.17
    VAT: £0.00
    Total: £104.17
    Import Fees Deposit £21.88
    Grand Total: £126.05

Which is basically 1 VAT out, another VAT in :)

• Advertisement

Just looked at CaseKing.

Outrageous delivery charges. €55 for a B550M + 5600 to Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

zOhp3oJ.png

thats actually correct, i just tried one myself. They show the pre-tax price at checkout and then add in the tax/import they estimated.

what you see on the item page:
    Uwmslgjl.jpg

what you see at checkout:
    8pTmSR3l.jpg

from what i have seen so far, amazon is actually still a good option right now, but just not for most items anymore (depend on where is the seller). So the price looks like there will be 1-3% higher than site listed price (from my memory), but amazon remains as a competitive place nonetheless. Welp, it was THE BEST place for most things i need in the past 8 years.:o

TheRover wrote: »

That would be amazing. Have you had anything delivered to your door yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭ronivek

Homelander wrote: »
    Just looked at CaseKing.

Outrageous delivery charges. €55 for a B550M + 5600 to Ireland.

I wouldn't touch CaseKing to be honest. They perpetually show items in stock when they clearly aren't; e.g. they've been claiming they have 5900x and 5950x in stock these past few days which would be very odd indeed if it were true.

I recently bought from https://www.computeruniverse.net/ and although it took them a few days I got the DHL shipping number there today. Shipping is still a touch pricey but for the parts I needed they had very good prices compared to just about everyone else including Amazon.de so it worked out for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭ronivek

Also https://www.overclockers.co.uk/ did switch briefly to offering DHL to Ireland but it was pricey; and now I see they've removed the option again. No word from DPD on when they'll resume shipping and the promised update on Tuesday never appeared.

Homelander wrote: »
    Why would you even need a 1600W PSU? I am genuinely curious. You would run RTX3090 in triple SLI with a 10900K at champion levels and you'd still have healthy headroom.

Don't get me wrong some people have legit need for huge wattage supplies but I find there is a massive amount of them get purchased based on 'more is better' or that wattage somehow correlates with quality or how "high end" the PC is.

Or else vague statements like "future upgrades".

No choice. Literally could not get a Corsair PSU between 860-1200W. Was all out of stock.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

TheRover wrote: »

It will be interesting to see if you have any charges to pay upon entry i.e administration etc

Was hoping to get a Seasonic psu bit might go for this instead , although amazon delivery says February now, might just pay the extra on Currys.

I saw a Seasonic on a German site ,Does getting a psu with a European plug and adaptor bother anyone? I don't think I would go for one , I just prefer UK Éire Plug.
    Edit just seen the posts about it a few pages back

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭MugsGame

Amazon UK prices are exactly the same as before for most items (apart from low value items which are temporarily exempt from VAT).

They always charged us Irish VAT, but they're now presenting the information a little differently.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,638 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Pangea wrote: »
    It will be interesting to see if you have any charges to pay upon entry i.e administration etc

Was hoping to get a Seasonic psu bit might go for this instead , although amazon delivery says February now, might just pay the extra on Currys.

I saw a Seasonic on a German site ,Does getting a psu with a European plug and adaptor bother anyone? I don't think I would go for one , I just prefer UK Éire Plug.
    Edit just seen the posts about it a few pages back

The handy thing with Amazon is you'll never pay any extra charges other than what they already charged you for the import fees deposit. If it's more than they originally thought they have to cover it, and in theory (although I've never heard of it happening) if it's lower then they refund.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Nicks delight

There are a more than a few things wrong with Currys at the moment here in Ireland. They don't have any graphics card, old (last generation) or up-to-date Graphics cards, Ram and CPU's and when they have anything, they are heavily overpriced. currently today, they had 4 different ram memories and they were all ddr3 and low frequency basic budget cards. Their sata SSD and M.2 are small, expensive. So many other products are just not in stock, and when they are, they are often only availible to buy online. Curries are discriminating all the people that can't order online. Sure, government recommend to buy online and shut down stores earlier for a time, but even when they were open Currys still only sell what seems the vast majority of their products on line only, at least when it came to graphics card and pc stuff. I even went to the store as their website said available in store.....when I got there I was told by staff it had not been in stock for a long time. The winner of the Sour Kipper Award 2020 goes to.....
    I actually had to order the product that I wanted, not only from England-Currys, but from EBAY-CURRY-ENGLAND SHOP to get what I wanted. If there is any halfbright politician/minister out there: Just implement proper ferry connections to Mainland EU for supply and trade where we don't have to pay the import tax to UK. I'm sure Irish ferries would like more trade. Solve the direct supply route and we have solved the supply blockage in UK and unnecessary price hikes to Irish consumers.

Advertisement