Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying options (post Brexit)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Aodhan5000

mossym wrote: »
    probably not a direct comparision, ordering direct from the manufactuere there is probably a good chance they are building to order( and dell certainly do this). however i know they, like most electronic makers, are seriously backlogged, especially on the popular models, the 27" ips gaming for example is 2+ months lead time.

amazon should just be picking it off the shelf shipping...

It did say something about manufacturing but what I don't understand is why they wouldn't let me order when it was "out of stock" if it's made to order anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭VG31

Tin Man wrote: »
    For anyone keeping score, it looks like Case King has added DHL International to their delivery options for Ireland. Before it was only UPS Express. I'm looking at an order for a case, ram and cpu go from €87 to €17 for delivery.

Maybe they noticed an uptick in orders from people here since the other UK component sites would have issues delivering to here.

They've added GLS and UPS Standard as well

DHL (not express) can be quite slow sometimes, particularly for large parcels and An Post deliver here so there can be more delays after arrival. UPS Standard would be my first choice as it's only a few euro more than DHL and delivery is usually about 5 days. GLS is expensive but I don't know why you'd choose to use them anyway.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Aodhan5000 wrote: »
    It did say something about manufacturing but what I don't understand is why they wouldn't let me order when it was "out of stock" if it's made to order anyway

only guessing, but having all the parts available to actually build it versus not having the parts ? if they don't have the parts to build it then it really is out of stock

• Registered Users Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭ewj1978

Been outta the loop re:upgrading lately. Last I did was change my i7 4790k to a ryzen 3600.. Whats the story with GPU's? Was looking at getting a rx 6800 upgrade from my 1070. Whats the best place or can you even get them?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

ewj1978 wrote: »
    Been outta the loop re:upgrading lately. Last I did was change my i7 4790k to a ryzen 3600.. Whats the story with GPU's? Was looking at getting a rx 6800 upgrade from my 1070. Whats the best place or can you even get them?

probably best to forget about upgrading - come back here same time next year :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Aodhan5000

mossym wrote: »
    only guessing, but having all the parts available to actually build it versus not having the parts ? if they don't have the parts to build it then it really is out of stock

Fair point actually, didn't think of that. Well it'll give me plenty of time to buy a vesa mount for it, even with Amazon UK slow shipping if it comes to it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

ewj1978 wrote: »

Stock of the RX cards has been dire even compared to the ****show that is the RTX cards. Homelander managed to order one direct and it never got to him, still unsure whether he managed to get that sorted. It will be even worse now because of Brexit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,397 ✭✭✭Homelander

Stock of the RX cards has been dire even compared to the ****show that is the RTX cards. Homelander managed to order one direct and it never got to him, still unsure whether he managed to get that sorted. It will be even worse now because of Brexit.

Yeah, it never arrived, ended up getting a refund from AMD eventually but their customer service is terrible.

Often wonder where it ended up. Fastway dumped it on the doorstep at a random business nowhere near my place of work.

Which I only found out about 5 days after "I" signed for it at my place of work, supposedly.

A few days later I managed to get a 3070 for €650 from Currys thanks to someone here, so I've put those painful, stressful memories behind me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Tin Man

VG31 wrote: »
    They've added GLS and UPS Standard as well

DHL (not express) can be quite slow sometimes, particularly for large parcels and An Post deliver here so there can be more delays after arrival. UPS Standard would be my first choice as it's only a few euro more than DHL and delivery is usually about 5 days. GLS is expensive but I don't know why you'd choose to use them anyway.

Yeah just seen that now as well. I must have caught them mid update. UPS it is!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,983 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Is the stock counter in caseking actually correct, because they seem to have a lot of stock. Admittedly, its all 30-40% over MSRP but there I guess.

• Advertisement

Is the stock counter in caseking actually correct, because they seem to have a lot of stock. Admittedly, its all 30-40% over MSRP but there I guess.

The more premium (enthusiast?) stuff tends to sell out. The other day they had no 3070's and this morning it looks like they've had a delivery from Asus and Inno3D and have 6 models to choose from.
    They have no SFX PSU's above 500w
    CL16 RAM also seems to sell out quite quickly and is on back order but they seem to have a lot of cheaper CL18 and 19 packs.

If that stuff matters to you, and it seems to matter to quite a few people at the moment, then it's probably best to wait until the demand eases off and prices stabilize again. Its going to be another bad year to build and upgrade until the world returns to normal

The more premium (enthusiast?) stuff tends to sell out. The other day they had no 3070's and this morning it looks like they've had a delivery from Asus and Inno3D and have 6 models to choose from.

All those 3070's are now gone this morning :)

I've already got a 1070 so I'm going to stick with that for another 12 months. I think my next upgrade will be a 40xx card.
    I need to work through my backlog anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,983 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

All those 3070's are now gone this morning :)

I've already got a 1070 so I'm going to stick with that for another 12 months. I think my next upgrade will be a 40xx card.
    I need to work through my backlog anyway :)

They had 3070's, 3090's, 6900 xts and 6800's, all 30-50% over MSRP. All sold by end of day except the 2.2k 3090. Wouldn't be surprised if they were gone today as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭ronivek

Pretty happy with my order from https://www.computeruniverse.net/en; didn't take that long to arrive and the order status was frequently updated on their site. Unfortunately some of the Euro prices are quite a bit higher than the UK prices even after conversion; although for some products the opposite is true.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

ronivek wrote: »
    Pretty happy with my order from https://www.computeruniverse.net/en; didn't take that long to arrive and the order status was frequently updated on their site. Unfortunately some of the Euro prices are quite a bit higher than the UK prices even after conversion; although for some products the opposite is true.

How much did it cost to deliver here?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭viperlogic

Eeeek 400e for a 1660 Super!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭rob808

The prices are crazy €1347 for Rtx 3080 might as well be buying off ebay with those prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭thecomedian

viperlogic wrote: »

€529 for an RX5600XT... madness

py2006 wrote: »
    How much did it cost to deliver here?

€25 for a fairly large and heavy box via DHL. Not the cheapest but you can just add whatever you're looking at to your basket and it will show you the delivery charges before you go through to add payment for your order. Minimum seems to be between €14 and €16.

Yeah; I would check prices via https://geizhals.eu/ and https://pricespy.co.uk/ before ordering; but that really applies to any PC components (or any product at all really). Prices can vary substantially and some retailers are very bad at passing on underlying price changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

I was going to try them for an order but after reading Trustpilot reviews I thought it was not worth the possible hassle.

Glad to see you had no probs.

• Advertisement

game4it70 wrote: »
    I was going to try them for an order but after reading Trustpilot reviews I thought it was not worth the possible hassle.

Glad to see you had no probs.

I think a lot of the complaints are around how they manage their stock. They seem to use a distributed system involving multiple warehouses/suppliers which can lead to fairly long (for people used to same-day or next-day shipping at least) lead times. This can also result in ordering something and it going out of stock before your order is finished processing.

If you're not too fussed about the likely delays and are willing to shop around a bit to make sure the prices are reasonable then I think they're a fine choice.

€25 for a fairly large and heavy box via DHL. Not the cheapest but you can just add whatever you're looking at to your basket and it will show you the delivery charges before you go through to add payment for your order. Minimum seems to be between €14 and €16.

Not too bad if you are paying 100s anyway. Did you use a German version of parcel motel or anything?

Not too bad if you are paying 100s anyway. Did you use a German version of parcel motel or anything?

No; that price is direct to Ireland. There’s also a UPS option which is presumably faster but around twice the price.

Irish Amazon customers to bypass Brexit barriers as it plans local fulfilment centre
    An Post, which handles much of Amazon’s Irish deliveries, welcomed the news that it appears to be opening its first Irish fulfilment centre.

“This is good news for Irish Amazon customers who will get their purchases faster,” said Gillez Fernandez, the commercial director of An Post Commerce.

“By avoiding the Brexit pipeline, Amazon can get their parcels to us in An Post faster for immediate delivery to the customer. We work closely with Amazon who value our logistics and local expertise.”

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭GHOST MGG

Irish Amazon customers to bypass Brexit barriers as it plans local fulfilment centre

I cant see that happening here,the outlay for the infrastructure of the facility and the size of the land needed would be way too high for the small percentage of profits amazon make from irish trade.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

GHOST MGG wrote: »
    I cant see that happening here,the outlay for the infrastructure of the facility and the size of the land needed would be way too high for the small percentage of profits amazon make from irish trade.

Is the park not already established?
    The newswire reported on Thursday that Amazon is on the verge of taking a 650,000sq ft unit at the Mountpark logistics centre in Baldonnell. It already operates a delivery warehouse in Rathcoole for Amazon Prime customers, which opened last year. But the Baldonnell deal would be its first proper order fulfilment centre where products are picked and packaged by Amazon staff.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

I was initially planning on looking at upgrading to a Ryzen set up as my old ass board is starting to give jip.
    Think I might have to eek another bit out of it by the sounds of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

GHOST MGG wrote: »

Looks like it's pretty far ahead. Some "aristocratic farmer" did well out of it !

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/retail-and-services/amazon-facility-developers-must-co-ordinate-with-irish-air-corps-1.4471404

"the development entity, MLEU Dublin 2, has also struck a deal worth at least €7.5 million with an aristocratic farmer based in Carlow to acquire lands needed for the Amazon project. Public filings for MLEU in the Companies Registration Office reveal it owes Charles Verschoyle-Greene, whose family has links to the British royal family, a deferred sum of €7.5 million for three parcels of land off the N7."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭viperlogic

Is there customs, duty, vat, fees etc on buying used pc parts from ebay in UK from private sellers?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

Is there customs, duty, vat, fees etc on buying used pc parts from ebay in UK from private sellers?

There should be no duty on parts - no matter who sells them.

You will probably have to pay import VAT and courier/an post handling fees.

Advertisement