Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying options (post Brexit)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

py2006 wrote: »
    Am I right in saying you can now order online from Overclockers? I thought it was phone only for the Irish?

Is this a good deal?

Ryzen 5 5600X £207.49

MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi £183.29

£390.78

Delivery £18.43

Total: £409.21 (€475 approx)

Plus whatever customs choose to apply to it

X570 doesn't have any meaningful benefits over b550

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

py2006 wrote: »
    Am I right in saying you can now order online from Overclockers? I thought it was phone only for the Irish?

Is this a good deal?

Ryzen 5 5600X £207.49

MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi £183.29

£390.78

Delivery £18.43

Total: £409.21 (€475 approx)

Plus whatever customs choose to apply to it

That's super cheap for that CPU, go for it!
    The motherboard is pretty good too (although B550 is better for RAM overclocking).

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    That's super cheap for that CPU, go for it!
    The motherboard is pretty good too (although B550 is better for RAM overclocking).

That's without VAT though I'd imagine, with VAT it works out around €295

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

Despite scan support telling me that Nvidia FE cards are the exception that can be shipped to Ireland, there was no option for Irish shipping when a friend had one in his cart this morning.

edit: Ah, he sent me screenshots and it actually looks like he did have the option to collect the card. I guess that's what the support reply was on about now, she mentioned that you'd have to inform them and they'd arrange a courier.

Still though, you'd end up paying Irish VAT on top of the UK VAT + courier

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Tin Man

Despite scan support telling me that Nvidia FE cards are the exception that can be shipped to Ireland, there was no option for Irish shipping when a friend had one in his cart this morning.

edit: Ah, he sent me screenshots and it actually looks like he did have the option to collect the card. I guess that's what the support reply was on about now, she mentioned that you'd have to inform them and they'd arrange a courier.

I'm going to assume this is Scan you are talking about. I tried to visit their site just now and its looks like its down. Did they get a drop of GPU's by any chance?

• Advertisement

Tin Man wrote: »
    I'm going to assume this is Scan you are talking about. I tried to visit their site just now and its looks like its down. Did they get a drop of GPU's by any chance?
    Yeah, Scan is what I said. 3080 FE dropped this morning. I got one before christmas/brexit but I've been trying to help a friend to get one

Yeah, Scan is what I said. 3080 FE dropped this morning. I got one before christmas/brexit but I've been trying to help a friend to get one

Oh yes so you did. Completely skimmed over that. I need more coffee this morning.

Brexit and supply issues seem to be a perfect storm. If supply and prices were stable, just importing from Germany or France would be no brainer in comparison to the UK

Oh yes so you did. Completely skimmed over that. I need more coffee this morning.

Brexit and supply issues seem to be a perfect storm. If supply and prices were stable, just importing from Germany or France would be no brainer in comparison to the UK
    Yeah for sure, can't wait for things to settle down. A lot of friends are keen to upgrade their old relics for BF 2042

• Registered Users Posts: 13,991 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

dylan24 wrote: »
    For imports from UK you can use deliverme.ie. Based in Newry they will forward by courier for €25. I had a high value item so they had it posted from just across the border via An Post. Very good service.

** Note: Maximum insurance for loss or damage to a shipment is €50.00.

Seems like they are dodging customs too.

** Note: Maximum insurance for loss or damage to a shipment is €50.00.

Seems like they are dodging customs too.

This is fine if it works for you but I wouldn't be surprised if Revenue is taking a hard look at companies similar to this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Ekerot

Does anyone know the best place to buy a 27 inch IPS 1440p monitor either here or in Europe?
    With customs coming into Amazon next month that's one option scratched off for me, I've tried looking at the Prime Deals so far but nothing has really caught my attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭VG31

Ekerot wrote: »
    Does anyone know the best place to buy a 27 inch IPS 1440p monitor either here or in Europe?
    With customs coming into Amazon next month that's one option scratched off for me, I've tried looking at the Prime Deals so far but nothing has really caught my attention.

Why can't you buy from Amazon? The only thing changing from 1 July is that orders under €22 will no longer be VAT free.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Ekerot

VG31 wrote: »
    Why can't you buy from Amazon? The only thing changing from 1 July is that orders under €22 will no longer be VAT free.

Damn, I must've misread the news somewhere. What I meant was there anyplace good to order a monitor from Ireland/Europe without Customs tacked on like Amazon UK

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Aodhan5000

Ekerot wrote: »
    Damn, I must've misread the news somewhere. What I meant was there anyplace good to order a monitor from Ireland/Europe without Customs tacked on like Amazon UK

Amazon don't tack on any customs 99% of the time. They just remove the UK VAT and charge you Irish VAT under the heading of Duty and Customs or something like that. There are no actual customs on computer parts and the like which I believe monitors fall under. They are perfectly fine to buy from. Alternatives would be Dell which is where I got my display from

Just a warning for anyone, Amazon UK for prime day are calculating VAT at the full price of items and not the sale price for some reason

Just a warning for anyone, Amazon UK for prime day are calculating VAT at the full price of items and not the sale price for some reason

So that's just them grabbing some extra cash? Seems like a **** move

Aodhan5000 wrote: »
    So that's just them grabbing some extra cash? Seems like a **** move

Not sure if it's grabbing extra cash or a bug to be honest. But when you go to checkout, it shows the full price minus VAT, calculates the VAT based on the full price, and then the discount.

So for example, the Samsung G5, prime day price is £384 down from £499. When you go to checkout it shows as £390+90 VAT and then 'promotion applied' of like £7.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

Not sure if it's grabbing extra cash or a bug to be honest. But when you go to checkout, it shows the full price minus VAT, calculates the VAT based on the full price, and then the discount.

So for example, the Samsung G5, prime day price is £384 down from £499. When you go to checkout it shows as £390+90 VAT and then 'promotion applied' of like £7.

Yeah , they seem to have done the same thing to a purchase I made , I've been onto them and they are following up on it for me .........or so they said .

The lad I was talking to seemed fairly sound and while I was on hold he tried to find out why through the different departments but in the end no one could give him an answer . He got me to send him on the screenshots of the different pages so that he could have all the info to escalate it .

With me it was a tablet , I tried it with two, one was a Lenovo that was €126:99 on the page and then €132. at the checkout, seems pretty normal.

The second was the tablet I actually wanted Fire 10 €127 on the page ........ €171 at at the checkout ......... bit of a discrepancy there lads .

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Bart22

soo what the story with scan, I just spoke with them just now and got info that they not shipping FE cards to Ireland

Bart22 wrote: »
    soo what the story with scan, I just spoke with them just now and got info that they not shipping FE cards to Ireland

Not sure, you definitely don't have the option to deliver direct to Ireland but they told me that if you order one you contact them and they arrange a courier. I'm not 100% on this but the only way I think that might work is if you select the "collect from scan" option instead of delivery and then contact them to arrange a courier.

You will definitely end up paying UK VAT and then Irish VAT on top of that in that case so it would be better to wait until they've sorted out a solution similar to Amazon where they only charge you the Irish VAT. Also there's no customs on computer parts from UK even if country of origin is not UK, the only problem is the VAT calculation

• Advertisement

jonski wrote: »
    Yeah , they seem to have done the same thing to a purchase I made , I've been onto them and they are following up on it for me .........or so they said .
    Looks like everyone will get refunded: https://www.irishtimes.com/news/consumer/amazon-apologises-for-error-affecting-irish-customers-1.4600212

Not sure, you definitely don't have the option to deliver direct to Ireland but they told me that if you order one you contact them and they arrange a courier. I'm not 100% on this but the only way I think that might work is if you select the "collect from scan" option instead of delivery and then contact them to arrange a courier.

You will definitely end up paying UK VAT and then Irish VAT on top of that in that case so it would be better to wait until they've sorted out a solution similar to Amazon where they only charge you the Irish VAT. Also there's no customs on computer parts from UK even if country of origin is not UK, the only problem is the VAT calculation

Oh that's very interesting, I never realized that. I wonder why it was setup like that?

https://customsdutyfree.com/customs-or-import-duty-for-computer-accessories-to-ireland/

Oh that's very interesting, I never realized that. I wonder why it was setup like that?

https://customsdutyfree.com/customs-or-import-duty-for-computer-accessories-to-ireland/

Laziness/not arsed more than likely. Having to change their ordering systems to not calculate VAT without a VAT/Business account. And then dealing with the tax man on it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Orchids

Has anyone changed from Amazon UK to one of the EU amazon sites, is it worth doing to avoid paying import fees? also if you've UK prime, can you just swap country and prime still applies?

thanks in advance

Orchids wrote: »
    Has anyone changed from Amazon UK to one of the EU amazon sites, is it worth doing to avoid paying import fees? also if you've UK prime, can you just swap country and prime still applies?

thanks in advance

Yes and no, depends on the items. Prices aren't the same across both sometimes. Prime doesn't carry over, have to have separate subs for each country, but it doesn't matter anyways because none of the European ones do free delivery to Ireland, it's anywhere from €8-20 per order depending on the size from amazon.de for example.

I ordered a h100i cooler yesterday off Amazon.de and it worked out at €110 delivered, went on to amazon.co.uk and it worked out at €90 incl the import duty fees and free delivery. But on the flip side ordered Philips hue play bars off de for €95 delivered that were working out at 120 from the UK the week before. Just some examples on how it's always worth checking both.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Orchids

Yes and no, depends on the items. Prices aren't the same across both sometimes. Prime doesn't carry over, have to have separate subs for each country, but it doesn't matter anyways because none of the European ones do free delivery to Ireland, it's anywhere from €8-20 per order depending on the size from amazon.de for example

Brilliant, thanks for reply

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭VG31

Orchids wrote: »

thanks in advance

You're not paying import fees 99% of the time. You're just paying Irish VAT (23%). Bear in mind that the UK VAT rate is 20% and the German rate is 19% for most items. So unless it works out cheaper I would stick with Amazon UK. The delivery is quicker (and free with Prime) also.

Laziness/not arsed more than likely. Having to change their ordering systems to not calculate VAT without a VAT/Business account. And then dealing with the tax man on it too.

There's more to it than the simply adding Irish VAT to the price too I think. If you ordered from Amazon UK you might notice that you get a refund of a couple of cents from time to time, perhaps the exchange rate comes into it? I could be completely wrong

Edit: Oh, hang on, I think the small refunds I got were for non-computer parts so it's probably just Amazon's Import Fees Deposit that you see at checkout. They overestimated the customs fees and refunded me later. You should not see this for computer parts since there is no customs duty on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I ended up buying an Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240 A-RGB from Arctic's eBay channel and eBay/Paypal worked out the VAT for me.

Ended up 3 quid cheaper than either Amazon UK / DE were asking for the normal RGB model.

• Advertisement

Did not realize they had RGB fans but they're kind of expensive for a company that are usually undercutting others

Advertisement