Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Caherdavin

• 06-12-2020 9:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Moving to Limerick and was wondering if I could get some advice?

Been looking around the Caherdavin area - (particularly around New Link Road/Blackthorn Drive).

Could anyone give me some thoughts on this area? Is it quiet enough?

Many thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

It's a pretty good part of Limerick. Schools, sports clubs, Tesco, Dunnes and Lidl in walking distance, Mace and SuperValu and petrol stations close by, decent bus service to and from the city centre, a short drive to Cratloe Woods, close to the dual carriageway and the Shannon tunnel, and fairly quiet in terms of anti-social behaviour. Can't ask for much more, really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,965 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I'd second everything IO has said and would also caveat my opinion with the fact that I live in the area.

Well established communities, good amenities, with everything from GAA, Hurling, rugby, soccer, tennis, hockey, squash, basketball and other sports all with great clubs and facilities all within walking distance.
    Wide range of shopping options, lots of fast food, when Covid finally does pass a couple of decent pub options.
    Decent cinema, good bus route, plenty of local schools including some very good ones.

All in all one of the best served areas of the city with plenty of relative value available in house prices.

There are nicer parts of the city, but they aren't as affordable or accessible.
    I bought here @15yrs ago and have been a happy resident for the vast majority of that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭Cantstandsya

Thanks a million for the replies.

It sounds good from your posts. I get conflicting results when looking up Caherdavin on google. Some results says it's great/grand while others say it has a lot of problems.

What is the area like for anti-social carry on these days? As said, I'd be look around New Link Road area (is that classed as Old Cratloe Road side of Caherdavin?).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,965 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I'm on the far side of that area, behind the Spar on the Old Cratloe Rd and it's grand.
    I was burgled in '07 but that wasn't an issue with the area.

There have been some issues with anti-social behaviour primarily along the old Cratloe Road.
    Nothing recent springs to mind, and it needs to be remembered it's an area that has a demographic mix that will always see some friction.

Lots of young young families, lots of blow in students, lots of more senior folk.
    Kids congregate, students are loud and messy(although nowhere near the extent of castletroy) and old people complain.
    Now that's a very simplistic breakdown, there have been issued with the targeted mugging of students and posses of drunken teens, but honestly the reports of that behaviour are rare and given the population of the area and its relative youth.
    It's not an issue that would affect my buying choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,823 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Hi all,

Moving to Limerick and was wondering if I could get some advice?

Been looking around the Caherdavin area - (particularly around New Link Road/Blackthorn Drive).

Could anyone give me some thoughts on this area? Is it quiet enough?

Many thanks

I have lived in that part of Caherdavin for a long time and it's a very settled and mature area. If anything, it might be considered a bit dull and quiet, but I find that the older I get, the more I like dull & quiet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭Cantstandsya

Comhra wrote: »
    I have lived in that part of Caherdavin for a long time and it's a very settled and mature area. If anything, it might be considered a bit dull and quiet, but I find that the older I get, the more I like dull & quiet.

The duller and quieter the better for me.

Many thanks for the replies everyone, really helpful to hear from people in the area.

Advertisement