Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2020/2021

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

This. Is. Incredible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,953 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Just raise your flag for no reason and then spend 5 minutes looking for any reason to rule it out

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

I think that might have hit Mane's arm so I think they might have this right, but they honestly need to get to the point where they are only making decisions based on certainty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Is this some kind of 'bring you kids into work' day for the VAR lads?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

VAR absolutely sucks the enjoyment out of the enjoyable thing about football, the goals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

mayordenis wrote: »
    I think that might have hit Mane's arm so I think they might have this right, but they honestly need to get to the point where they are only making decisions based on certainty.

Just get rid of VAR.

it doesn't eliminate bad or inconsistent decisions it just makes them take longer.

Scrap it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

They’re deliberately fücking VAR up, no other explanation.
    The referees should never have been allowed to be involved with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Guys operating VAR tonight must have a few tins in the room with them.

8-10 wrote: »
    Just get rid of VAR.

it doesn't eliminate bad or inconsistent decisions it just makes them take longer.

Scrap it

I tend to disagree, it fixes more than it breaks, the issue I have is that it could be basically flawless if the people running it had basic cop on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

Pogba's header hit Maguire's arm last night before hitting the defender and going in.

Goal still stood because apparently it was accidental to hit Maguire's arm.

Surely if Mane headed against his own arm it was accidental too.

• Advertisement

Henderson is playing some great long balls

The call was for offside, once they realised there was no offside they just looked for another reason to rule the goal out so the refs on the pitch wouldn't be undermined.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,106 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Thankfully nothing riding on this game in terms of qualification or top spot etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

Watching VAR decisions in Liverpool games is like winning a hand in Noraut Poker and playing Hi-Lo to double your win.

A Queen comes up, you press Low, but you know only too well, that the fúcking King will appear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

I feel a bit sorry for Caomhin, he's done well again tonight, couple of good saves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

dilallio wrote: »
    Watching VAR decisions in Liverpool games is like winning a hand in Noraut Poker and playing Hi-Lo to double your win.

A Queen comes up, you press Low, but you know only too well, that the fúcking King will appear.

Worked in an arcade as a teenager, this post hit me hard... :D

dogbert27 wrote: »
    Pogba's header hit Maguire's arm last night before hitting the defender and going in.

Goal still stood because apparently it was accidental to hit Maguire's arm.

Surely if Mane headed against his own arm it was accidental too.

My understanding of the rule is that and handball that leads to a goal it should be disallowed.

They changed that either last season or the season before, it's a bollocks rule too.

Not sure why you're bringing up the United game though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,296 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Surprised they didn't get a pen for that

VAR is following Liverpool around like a bad smell this season. Every game littered with numerous micro pube decisions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭facehugger99

VAR is the embodiment of the phrase ' a camel is a horse designed by a committee'.

It's a load of burocratic nonsense and should be nowhere near football.

Instead of exciting horse-goals we have camels wandering about the pitch ruining everything.

And the worse thing about it, is that I know they'll never get rid of it and I have to spend the rest of my life second-guessing every ****ing goal we score.

What a load of ****e.

• Advertisement

Because it's an example of the exact same thing happening less than 24 hours ago with the referee giving a different result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I don't think there was conclusive evidence it hit Maguire's arm last night, or at least none that I saw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭pm1977x

Surprised they didn't get 2 for it!

Because it's an example of the exact same thing happening less than 24 hours ago with the referee giving a different result.

Fair, the refs are ****e across the board. The lads running the VAR are ****e across the board.

My understanding of the rule is that and handball that leads to a goal it should be disallowed.

They changed that either last season or the season before, it's a bollocks rule too.

Because the goal stood in the United game.

Maguires hand directs the ball to the defenders leg and it happened last night. So I brought it up as a relevant reference.

If you're inferring I'm bringing it up as a bashing of United on the Liverpool thread I'm not, it's an example of how VAR is implemented inconsistently within 24 hours for a similar passage of play.

That game took about 120 minutes between all the VAR stoppages.

gimli2112 wrote: »
    I don't think there was conclusive evidence it hit Maguire's arm last night, or at least none that I saw.

Now have we yet been shown conclusive evidence it hit manes arm. They really need to move towards a clear and obvious to overturn things at very least.

It's not like other sports didn't give a template for how to run this stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

outside the penalty.

Kelleher was oustanding.
    Levels above Adrian

gimli2112 wrote: »

They didn't spend 5 minutes either looking for it like they did tonight

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

I'm really liking Kelleher over the last few weeks.

The amount of times the commentators have said in the last few games 'straight at the keeper' suggests his positioning is very good, he's not flapping around, he's in the right place and moving his feet. Especially like the way he dealt with that Garryowen too, took ball and man and was very decisive, and his distribution is quick and accurate too.
    Wouldn't be too harsh on the other young lads, Clarkson had a good first half, and Komancho or whatever his name is settled in after a shaky start.
    Tsimikas looks a bad injury though, that's the worst aspect of tonight really. And VAR, Fvck VAR!

Btw check out this stat, Sideways Henderson now passes the ball forward more than any other midfielder in the league

g72l9hvga7461.jpg

Also Jesus Christ Jeff Hendrick

Someone should go check on Jeff. See if he's still breathing.

"Clear and obvious" has gone out the window

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Think if they did the game would be abandoned as Klopp would chase the match officials off the pitch

MD1990 wrote: »
    outside the penalty.

Kelleher was oustanding.
    Levels above Adrian

Yeah I think he's now cemented the number 2 spot.

Adrian will be gone in the summer.

MD1990 wrote: »
    outside the penalty.

Kelleher was oustanding.
    Levels above Adrian

I don't even think he did much wrong for the penalty, he gets out quick, spreads himself wide, and his arm is an inch from getting a touch on the ball. It's just a really good flick over him from the forward.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

Didn't see the game but reading comments here, it looks like more VAR controversy.
    I have always been in favour of VAR and think it could be great if run properly.
    But it's not being run properly. Not sure if it ever will be.
    I do know that is has taken a lot of enjoyment out of the game and at this stage I wouldn't
    object if it was scrapped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭giveitholly

With Ajax out I wonder will we try sign Schurr in January,might make it a bit easier if he is on our radar

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

DVDM93 wrote: »
    If Ajax don't make it through then we're signing Perr Schuurs, you heard it here first.
    With Ajax out I wonder will we try sign Schurr in January,might make it a bit easier if he is on our radar

Yes.

Although that's all I can say about it for now.

Do not ask me my source because I can not say.

DVDM93 wrote: »
    Yes.

Although that's all I can say about it for now.

Do not ask me my source because I can not say.

If it's not Fitz* then your source is full of sxxt :pac:

• Advertisement

My source thought Fitz* everything he knows.

Now that's enough talk about it.

I've said too much already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Misread that as sext

DrumSteve wrote: »
    Misread that as sext

Says more about your state of mind buddy!! :pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,489 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Not sure why we chased the game tonight, chasing the money for a win? Risking first team players for a few bob more, weird.

Not sure why we chased the game tonight, chasing the money for a win? Risking first team players for a few bob more, weird.

Or the players still showing their hunger after winning the CL and PL.

You want the see the players keeping the same high standards irrespective of the opposition

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭atilladehun

Is it because klopp didn't want to change gears, if you get me. Remember we used to be poor after time off a few years ago. Maybe he thinks if he allows the players to ease off then it's harder to get them going again.

A bit off topic but that's what I think happened to Everton. They changed their focus from winning games to being physical with us. Once that game was over they found it hard to remember how to win again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭giveitholly

When is the draw for the last 16?

When is the draw for the last 16?

Monday the 14th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Salah is also now 2nd in all goals in European competition for us, although still 18 off Gerrard's 41. Presumably because the competition used to be a lot shorter, there aren't many competitors from previous golden generations. The closest is Rush in 4th with 20, who Mané will match with 1 more goal.
    The CL goals are the main thing, but it'd be nice for him to get the overall record.

In all goals scored, Salah is on 106 (or maybe 107 - not sure has Wikipedia updated tonights' goal), in 170 games, which is pretty great. At that rate he'll match Gerrard's 186 if he gets to 300 or so games with a similar strike rate, or probably this season and the next two, scoring 25 or so in each.

He'll be doing well to crack the top 4, with Liddell on 228, and Rushy way out in front with 346. He'd have to do a Ronaldo/Messi sort of thing and still be scoring 20+ goals a season well into his 30s.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement