Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2020/2021

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

I must say, it's really fúcking píssy to lose all these CBs.

honestly, we'd be fúcking strolling this league. i know that's meaningless, but Christ it's so fúcking frustrating.

i also believe it's affecting Trent, and is why we're not seeing the best of him. and don't forget, he is one of our biggest creative outlets, if not our biggest.

Our gameplan is built on sustaining pressure, hemming teams in, moving them from side to side, creating channels to feed the ball into our front 3 - a pass that Trent is just about the best around at. without a fully functioning CB partnership, we don't have a fully functioning midfield, because we're compensating for our depleted defence, and so we can't push as many players high up the pitch, which means there are less overloads, which means Trent doesn't get any room high up the pitch.

Trent still gets the odd gem in - like the pass to Mane for the first goal against Palace, which Minamino ultimately scores. it's a ridiculous pass, that few would even think of, but it made the goal. now, he hasn't done enough of that, but the team is out of whack with not being able to have CB and midfield work as it normally would.

we have to figure it out, but don't underestimate what a well oiled machine Klopp's gameplan is. we have players who can fill in all over the pitch, but you can't lose all the CBs we have, and expect to be consistent. it just isn't going to happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Just saw James Pearce advertising this on twitter, thought some of you might be interested...
    539262.jpg

Southgate has no business on that list :pac:

Didn't know he had an OBE either. Do they just hand them out en masse?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,932 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

I don't think it's a stretch to suggest Trent could still be suffering some effects of COVID

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

Knex* wrote: »
    Southgate has no business on that list :pac:

Didn't know he had an OBE either. Do they just hand them out en masse?

James Corden has one, so talent is clearly not a factor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

We'll rise to the occasion Sunday and brush them aside. I know it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,267 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Our season starts on Sunday ,

Lets show everyone why we are champions .l.

Hope you're right.....the thoughts of Unitef going 6 points clear is a gut punch.

Need to be careful on Sunday and not play into their counter attacking hands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 781 ✭✭✭davyboy1975

I see reddy is out peddling the we arent interested in alaba as he isnt tall enough to play cb for us.
    Better defender then all our centre backs apart from virg and a european champion at centre back.
    Surely its rubbish that we would think like that

rob316 wrote: »
    We'll rise to the occasion Sunday and brush them aside. I know it

I love the confidence.

The problem I have is that Ole's natural counter attacking style is ready made for us, and especially a depleted CB lineup.

I see reddy is out peddling the we arent interested in alaba as he isnt tall enough to play cb for us.
    Better defender then all our centre backs apart from virg and a european champion at centre back.
    Surely its rubbish that we would think like that

if that's the club line, the truth behind it is that it's to do with wages.

rumour has it, he wants VVD and Salah money to sign.

SlickRic wrote: »
    if that's the club line, the truth behind it is that it's to do with wages.

rumour has it, he wants VVD and Salah money to sign.

We all know its about wages so why not say that instead of he isnt tall enough or good enough in the air to play centre back for us.
    Guy can play 3 positions in our team at a world class level

• Advertisement

I love the confidence.

The problem I have is that Ole's natural counter attacking style is ready made for us, and especially a depleted CB lineup.

They haven't beaten anyone, just a bunch of flat track bullies and even then they have scraped through games.

Hammered by Spurs
    Drew with Leicester
    Drew with City
    Drew by Chelsea
    Beaten by Arsenal

Totally ****ed up there champions league group after getting into an excellent position.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

rob316 wrote: »
    They haven't beaten anyone, just a bunch of flat track bullies and even then they have scraped through games.

Hammered by Spurs
    Drew with Leicester
    Drew with City
    Drew by Chelsea
    Beaten by Arsenal

Totally ****ed up there champions league group after getting into an excellent position.

Only 9 away wins in a row.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

MattS1 wrote: »
    Only 9 away wins in a row.

They drew away to Leicester over Christmas

Got very lucky in recent games against Villa & Wolves ,
    Sure they where very ordinary last night ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Definitely, you don't have to be a managerial genius, which for Soloskjaer is just as well, to know how best to set up against us. He has the players to suit this gameplan perfectly.

I'm expecting us to go hell for leather in the first 10 minutes and try to get an early breakthrough - the value of the first goal against this Utd. team cannot be overstated.

I'm quietly confident of getting the win on Sunday but the front 3 need to start clicking. Ultimately I don't even see Man Utd as our main challengers this season.

They drew away to Leicester over Christmas

Got very lucky in recent games against Villa & Wolves ,

We controlled the game. Anyway yous had every bit of luck the last 2 years so about time the tables turned.

Definitely, you don't have to be a managerial genius, which for Soloskjaer is just as well, to know how best to set up against us. He has the players to suit this gameplan perfectly.

I'm expecting us to go hell for leather in the first 10 minutes and try to get an early breakthrough - the value of the first goal against this Utd. team cannot be overstated.

I dunno, seems to me that going a goal behind doesn't phase them at all.
    We controlled the game. Anyway yous had every bit of luck the last 2 years so about time the tables turned.

97 and 98 points + a Champions League doesn't exactly scream luck to me.

Markitron wrote: »
    I dunno, seems to me that going a goal behind doesn't phase them at all.

97 and 98 points + a Champions League doesn't exactly scream luck to me.

Zero injuries, poor league, rub of the green in many games. You were well overdue some injuries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,277 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Zero injuries, poor league, rub of the green in many games. You were well overdue some injuries.

ah so nice to have some united fans drop in for a ribbing, the only silver lining is in about 3 weeks you will scuttle back from whence you came,

United are NEVER winning the league this year. We might not either but you havent a prayer.

You can quote me on that.

I could make the argument that Utd were lucky in '99 to win a 'poor' league with only 79 points whilst getting 2 last minute tap-ins after being completely outplayed by Bayern Munich for 90 mins.

I could make this argument, but I won't, cos it would be completely ridiculous. Just like your argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭Plasandrunt

Having lived with United winning everything for the first 26 years of my life it's absolutely crazy to see their fans so giddy about topping the league with over half the season still yet to play.

• Advertisement

I'm pretty patient when it comes to the Liverpool/Utd rivalry bollocks, but this narrative of 'every bit of luck', is as stupid, if not stupider, than saying the league is corrupt because of the penalties Utd are getting.

also, if you get the points totals and trophies we've won over 2 years, throwing the word 'luck' in is absolute nonsense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,738 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Looks like matip is out for Sunday,has yet to train with the first team according to Maddock

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,591 ✭✭✭brevity

Dismiss Utd all you want but they are more than capable of beating us. Doesn't matter about injuries or var or any of that bollocks. They will be well up for it and Anfield will be empty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

We've been worse than ordinary the last while. I would go as far to say we were ****e since we came back from covid bar about 2/3 good performances

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭evil_seed

Good to see I'm not the only one with United supporting mates that have regained their faith in the team. Adds a bit of more interest to the season now with ****ty back and forth messages.

If it walks like a duck and talks like a duck, it's a duck. So with that in mind, we now have a title race.

Poor league says a lot for ye at the minute then, only hope ye have of leading the league is us having no centre backs and even then our midfielders playing there are still better then ur captain

The entire concept of a 'poor' league completely falls apart when you apply logic or statistics to it.

It is an argument used solely by people when a team they don't like win the league.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,423 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Mod: Hi MattS1, please remember when joining into conversation in a Superthread that while it is not limited to fans of that team, posters need to be respectful of the thread they are in.

Categorising Liverpool as lucky in their achievements in the least two years or poor league comments are not going to be easily accepted or explained and may not look good should a mod have to further consider.

I appreciate you are responding to posts about another team, but if you want to 'correct' or 'debate' such points please make a counter point rather than whataboutery.

Just to remind all, here is an extract from the charter:
    If you wish to post on a Superthread, please note the following:

1. Respect the thread subject, respect the supporters - You are posting on a thread where the majority of people who read the thread support the team or follow the league. If you post something inflammatory, you will be held accountable.

2. If you have a problem with a post, report the post. Abusing other posters, telling posters not to post or any other "moderation" of the threads will not be tolerated, no matter how inflammatory. If you aren't discussing the points of a post, don't reply.

3. If you do reply to debate a post attack the post and not the poster, the team or the supporters.

4. Thread spoiling - that is, any action or post made to derail a thread and trolling is prohibited.

Posters can use PM if they have any questions about the above.

Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

Looks like matip is out for Sunday,has yet to train with the first team according to Maddock

d4654631b36f49c0c3f1378f867f7de0.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,267 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

brevity wrote: »
    Dismiss Utd all you want but they are more than capable of beating us. Doesn't matter about injuries or var or any of that bollocks. They will be well up for it and Anfield will be empty.

Yes they are an excellent countering team so we need to be careful and keep our heads. It's the games like last night where they're expected to sweep a team aside that they might struggle.

Basically we need to act like the champions we are on Sunday. If we do that then no reason why we can't be confident in a result regardless of injuries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Where do people come up with this myth of Liverpool luck and no injuries? I see it repeated so often it's untrue. I can only think it's people projecting what they want to be true as it somehow makes things easier to accept for them. Same as LiVARpool which was nonsense also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭ConcertKing

Where do people come up with this myth of Liverpool luck and no injuries? I see it repeated so often it's untrue. I can only think it's people projecting what they want to be true as it somehow makes things easier to accept for them. Same as LiVARpool which was nonsense also.

Sure these myths have been dispelled repeatedly yet it is the same jealous idiots supporting a certain club that keep repeating these rubbish claims!

Their salty tears always taste the sweetest and they will taste so sweet after Sunday when we swat them aside and back under the rock from which they have crawled out of in the last few weeks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,628 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I tend to hate the Pool/Utd games. They're normally dour and tactical .
    Except for the odd one when liverpool hammer them

We need to get Matip , Keita and Jota fit and then we can go on a run ,

Imagine the absolute pain of losing two weekends in a row to Untied

cj maxx wrote: »

Its pretty much win for both sides, so I think we'll see an open game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

cj maxx wrote: »

That's true. They must be horrible games to watch for neutral fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

We all know its about wages so why not say that instead of he isnt tall enough or good enough in the air to play centre back for us.
    Guy can play 3 positions in our team at a world class level

Melissa Reddy acting like she has the scoop. The club obviously use her as a mouthpiece.

Too small to play CB FFS. Never heard such crap. Don't want to pay the wages that the other big clubs will pay more like.

Expect Reddy to write an article praising how much smarter we are for spending 8 million on some kid from Basel in the summer (who was impossible to buy in January as it happens).

And we can celebrate how financially prudent it is. The club would want to be careful Alaba doesn't fire back saying he would never been interested in joining Liverpool in the first place.

I'm hearing no Matip or Keita in training today ,
    Looks like both will miss the weekend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Blanco100 wrote: »
    Melissa Reddy acting like she has the scoop. The club obviously use her as a mouthpiece.

Too small to play CB FFS. Never heard such crap. Don't want to pay the wages that the other big clubs will pay more like.

Expect Reddy to write an article praising how much smarter we are for spending 8 million on some kid from Basel in the summer (who was impossible to buy in January as it happens).

And we can celebrate how financially prudent it is. The club would want to be careful Alaba doesn't fire back saying he would never been interested in joining Liverpool in the first place.

I get the club being financially prudent but to be honest that goes out the window when you lose 2 centre-halves to season ending injuries and your other centre-half is a perennial sicknote. I think we all expected them to have a new centre half lined up for January 1 in those exceptional circumstances. Not necessarily an expensive one either. It won't look so prudent if the club misses out on CL football. Which is far from guaranteed in this weird season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

I'm hearing no Matip or Keita in training today ,
    Looks like both will miss the weekend

One thing that works in Matip's favour is that he the ability to just drop into the side and play without rhythm. If he trains at all before Sunday, even one full session, I'll be happy enough to start him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

jeez i dont have enough time to keep up with this thread, how do others have time to also perennially stalk another teams threads waiting for inflammatory posts to thank...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

I get the club being financially prudent but to be honest that goes out the window when you lose 2 centre-halves to season ending injuries and your other centre-half is a perennial sicknote. I think we all expected them to have a new centre half lined up for January 1 in those exceptional circumstances. Not necessarily an expensive one either. It won't look so prudent if the club misses out on CL football. Which is far from guaranteed in this weird season.

is another issue not what we do when Gomez, Matip and Van Dijk are fit? Are we signing a 4th choice CB or someone to be ahead of Gomez and Matip?

Blanco100 wrote: »

That's pretty much all the likes of her and Pearce etc are. Great for injury/team news and confirming transfers, for anything else they are basically another wing of the club's PR.
    is another issue not what we do when Gomez, Matip and Van Dijk are fit? Are we signing a 4th choice CB or someone to be ahead of Gomez and Matip?

If another CB is signed I would like it to be as Matip's replacement. I really rate Matip, the performance against Barca is one of the best CB performances I have ever seen, but he just can't be relied upon anymore. Hell of a free transfer but it is time to move on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Enzokk

jeez i dont have enough time to keep up with this thread, how do others have time to also perennially stalk another teams threads waiting for inflammatory posts to thank...

Its easy to find time to troll as its not hard, I guess most just don't have time to go out and do it to rile up other fans. Hopefully our team's results do that for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭Plasandrunt

I don't blame the club for not wanting to give Alaba the ridiculous wages he's looking for tbh. Reported he's looking for £300k+ and for a player who is predominantly a full back and not a CB, there are better options out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Enzokk

We are looking for some height, it is apparent we are struggling now without VVD and his heading ability both defensively and offensively from corners.

This is another masterful stroke by FSG they have a collection of journos who will write gushing articles about how it's a good thing not to spend any money. Self congratulatory pieces about being smart with investment and the like.

There's no narrative that can be spun that validates the decision not to sign a CB, absolutely none despite the sh*te thats written in the Athletic and the likes.

Lovren wasn't even replaced in the summer, we actually went into start of season weaker than last and that's with everyone fit.

FSG are masters of the PR game. Doubts about Alaba at CB, do me a favour

I see we could be going into the United game in 6th place depending on results
    Md how tight it is ,

I don't blame the club for not wanting to give Alaba the ridiculous wages he's looking for tbh. Reported he's looking for £300k+ and for a player who is predominantly a full back and not a CB, there are better options out there.

Alaba has been terrific at CB, left footed CBs are thin on the ground aswell. It's his quality that's holding us back from signing him it's wages.

He would be a terrific partner for VVD rather than replacement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Markitron wrote: »
    If another CB is signed I would like it to be as Matip's replacement. I really rate Matip, the performance against Barca is one of the best CB performances I have ever seen, but he just can't be relied upon anymore. Hell of a free transfer but it is time to move on.

No benefit in letting him go. We're already a CB short even at full strength. Would hope we're bringing in someone new of Matip's standard to partner VVD, with Gomez and Matip as backup then. That would be strong.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement