Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2020/2021

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Blanco100 wrote: »
    FSG are masters of the PR game. Doubts about Alaba at CB, do me a favour

Christ, this is the very last thing I'd say about them to be honest, particularly between the furlough and ticket price escapades as highlights amongst others.

I'd say the club media department, several rungs lower on the ladder are reasonably decent at their jobs though. But it's hardly genius stuff, they just give 2 or 3 journos inside information, in exchange for a soft tone in delivering it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    No benefit in letting him go. We're already a CB short even at full strength. Would hope we're bringing in someone new of Matip's standard to partner VVD, with Gomez and Matip as backup then. That would be strong.

Nobody in there right mind would buy Matip from us due to his injury record ,

I reckon we keep him around as 4th/5th choice until his contract runs out he won't complain because he won't be fit anyway,

One thing about Matip that is brilliant is you can just throw him back in and he plays like he never left ,Imagine how frustrated he must get with his body ,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭ballyargus

Alaba is 5' 11"

Cannavaro and Baresi were 5' 9"

Alaba is only 28.

If he's available and amenable. Get him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

No benefit in letting him go. We're already a CB short even at full strength. Would hope we're bringing in someone new of Matip's standard to partner VVD, with Gomez and Matip as backup then. That would be strong.

I wasn’t suggesting selling him, just that I wouldn’t be relying on him anymore. He needs to be backup at this point.

ballyargus wrote: »
    Alaba is 5' 11"

Alaba is only 28.

I do totally understand the money aspect though... the reality of bringing someone like that in is that we'll lose some of our existing stars as a result. You can't have half a squad on 250k+ a week, but that's what the demand will become if new players are getting it.

They've done well in signing up a lot of the main players already - at huge expense - but negotiations are gonna get much harder with someone like Fabinho if he's looking at Alaba getting twice his wage, while he's being asked to hold the team together practically single handedly most weeks.

We already see it hurting the Gini negotiations, and we're likely gonna lose him as a result.

But whether it's him or not, we need to be getting someone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Enzokk

ballyargus wrote: »
    Alaba is 5' 11"

Alaba is only 28.

He is shorter than all our current CB's. We are already struggling with set pieces without VVD. The answer is a player that is only 2cm taller than Andy Robertson as our CB?

Markitron wrote: »
    I wasn’t suggesting selling him, just that I wouldn’t be relying on him anymore. He needs to be backup at this point.

Ah ok, gotcha. Sorry I took "If another CB is signed I would like it to be as Matip's replacement" and "it is time to move on." as being him gone.

Would agree with ya otherwise, though would call it Gomez replacement really, as the main VVD partner, pushing Gomez and Matip down to 3rd/4th.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

Ah ok, gotcha. Sorry I took "If another CB is signed I would like it to be as Matip's replacement" and "it is time to move on." as being him gone.

Would agree with ya otherwise, though would call it Gomez replacement really, as the main VVD partner, pushing Gomez and Matip down to 3rd/4th.

I’m not giving up on Gomez as VVDs partner, they were insane together in 18/19.

Markitron wrote: »
    I’m not giving up on Gomez as VVDs partner, they were insane together in 18/19.

Honestly thought Matip was VVD's best partner that year. Ousted Gomez from the spot for the first portion of the year - until he inevitably got injured. And then took over for the second half of the season again, including all the big CL games. Think he looked better than VVD even from around February on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭BillyHasMates

Honestly thought Matip was VVD's best partner that year. Ousted Gomez from the spot for the first portion of the year - until he inevitably got injured. And then took over for the second half of the season again, including all the big CL games. Think he looked better than VVD even from around February on.

I much prefer Matip. It really is such a pity he is so injury prone. Jury is still out for me on Gomez. Has had some excellent periods of form followed by periods of form where he has looked poor, almost Lovrenesque. Was struggling prior to his injury, particularly in the higher line we seemed to be playing at start of season. Gets drawn forward out of the line towards the ball too much, when he didn't win it teams were clean through on us. Not sure if the fallout of Sterling incident has affected him. I think we could get an upgrade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Blanco100 wrote: »
    This is another masterful stroke by FSG they have a collection of journos who will write gushing articles about how it's a good thing not to spend any money. Self congratulatory pieces about being smart with investment and the like.

There's no narrative that can be spun that validates the decision not to sign a CB, absolutely none despite the sh*te thats written in the Athletic and the likes.

Lovren wasn't even replaced in the summer, we actually went into start of season weaker than last and that's with everyone fit.

FSG are masters of the PR game. Doubts about Alaba at CB, do me a favour

Are you implying I am regurgitating something I read? As I have not seen this point raised but then again Ive not been reading many articles lately.

I'm also not suggestion we dont sign a CB, just asking what do we do with Matip and Gomez...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Doesn't look like we'll sign a CB this month, which is a huge mistake and only compounds the mistake of not replacing Lovren in the summer and letting Hoever go too, I think Philips was also very close to joining Swansea on loan, but, the deal fell through, so, we could have been in an even worse situation.
    The club have known the CB injury situation for the last 2 months or more, but, don't appear to be doing anything about it. The thing is we don't need to sign the next VVD or his long term partner ( we can do that next summer) or break the bank, why, can't they sign someone on loan or even a free agent. The circumstances are exceptional and requires a different approach than normal. I'm not worried about what CBs we have next season, we can sort that out in the summer, it's now we really need a CB not in 6 months time (we do, but, we can sort that in summer) when VVD and Gomez are back.
    Not having a CB through the door on Jan 1st now means that even if we do sign one he'll have less time to integrate into the team and will need to be thrown in at the deep end rather than eased into it in the Villa FA cup game for example.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,465 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Mane has 2 assists , Salah 3

We have 2 individuals, not playing ball together.

Kane and Son have 16 assists .

Except when you actually watch them and see that they're both doing plenty of passing. Our problem is we're not finishing our chances, so passes aren't becoming assists.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

This is actually a fact. They actually don't link up much at all. It's so easy to see when you watch our games. Both taking the selfish option (Salah is definitely greedier though).

• Advertisement

Except when you actually watch them and see that they're both doing plenty of passing. Our problem is we're not finishing our chances, so passes aren't becoming assists.

Religion is a powerful thing. Moment that tree went up our season fell into the drain. Mane wasn't impressed.

9amxEg9.jpg

3000.jpg?width=300&quality=85&auto=format&fit=max&
    mqdefault.jpg

Mane is very religious, he doesn't even have a women. He's literally a solo artist. no kids, no family.
    If you google Mane / WIfe you get
    IMG_20191029_073414_654.jpg?fit=720%2C688&ssl=1

The only women ever to be pictured with him.

Mane is doing everything in his power to not go down for a penalty. It's a recent thing also that he's doing that.

Stayed up last time out when fouled, then took a late dive ONLY when ball was out of play.

Something strange going on with them.

The good olde days

23499148-0-image-a-17_1579214684206.jpg

Klopp did hold so called secret meetings with them both before over tension between them.
    17918458-7414777-image-a-65_1567278766499.jpg

NP_20190902_RBSOC022LSE_5086369.jpg?itok=p56FqyRO

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Mane definitely seems to have a short fuse, moreso than Salah who seems to be more easy going. It doesn't seem to take much to upset Mane and he definitely seems to have some sort of issue with Salah.

• Advertisement

1 lousy goal since the 24th of Dec . Hopefully saving 7 for United, with Salah and Mane getting hat tricks, and Henderson with a screamer .

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Thidp

Girly Gal wrote: »
    Mane definitely seems to have a short fuse, moreso than Salah who seems to be more easy going. It doesn't seem to take much to upset Mane and he definitely seems to have some sort of issue with Salah.

I'd say that his issue is that Salah is greedy and many, many, many times tries the shot instead of passing. In many of these situations, the target would be Mane.

3 years ago Mane was like that, but he is much better now. Salah didn't learn and this is really infuriating for us fans, let alone for the player that should be receiving the pass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 775 ✭✭✭RonanG86

Thidp wrote: »
    I'd say that his issue is that Salah is greedy and many, many, many times tries the shot instead of passing. In many of these situations, the target would be Mane.

3 years ago Mane was like that, but he is much better now. Salah didn't learn and this is really infuriating for us fans, let alone for the player that should be receiving the pass.

Last few games fellas have been trying to walk it in, shooting chances from angles being passed up in favour of trying to tee up the one red shirt among a crowd of defenders. If Klopp's "had a word" they've gone overboard with it.

Incidentally, Salah has 32 assists in his PL career, whilst Son has 34. And Son has played about 30 more games than Salah. Yet Salah is perceived as greedy whilst Son is considered a team player. And that's not a perception that's only started to be expressed this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,932 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Mane's had plenty of greedy moments himself, he likes to take speculative shots from range a whole lot more often than Salah.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Mane's had plenty of greedy moments himself, he likes to take speculative shots from range a whole lot more often than Salah.

You must be joking?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

Bull****

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Man United are having a real purple patch right now. You don't wait til they're out of it, you put them out of it. We're having awful form at the minute but isn't it always said about this game, form goes out the window. Well we'll see.

But Jaysus I love this fixture!!!!

Grayditch wrote: »
    Man United are having a real purple patch right now. You don't wait til they're out of it, you put them out of it. We're having awful form at the minute but isn't it always said about this game, form goes out the window. Well we'll see.

Think Hendo is a huge part of that. Need his energy and effort in midfield to shake things up. I'd actually suffer one of the younglings at CB to get Hendo's tenacity into the middle of the park. Need him and Gini snapping into Utd, and Thiago picking the passes.

Just thinking about the CB options, and our other midfielders - given the lack of depth, I wonder could Ox cover back there? I mean, he's a fairly seasoned pro at this stage, surely he could sit beside Fabinho? And most importantly he has the recovery pace to make up for mistakes - not to mention to track lads like Rashford. He's not gonna win much in the air, but that's not really Utd's attacking game anyway. Far from ideal of course, but I'm just thinking of any viable alternatives to Rhys and Nat who are so slow and often caught out of position that I'd really worry for them in this game..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,926 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Matip plays if fit the question is then who plays beside Fab if he isn't fit.

If Klopp doesn't trust Phillps & Williams for this game then it comes down to Hendo or Gini and I would rather Hendo in midfield.

Ali

TAA
    Gini
    Fab
    Robbo

Hendo
    Thiago

Shaq
    Bobby
    Mane.

Salah

Matip plays if fit the question is then who plays beside Fab if he isn't fit.

If Klopp doesn't trust Phillps & Williams for this game then it comes down to Hendo or Gini and I would rather Hendo in midfield.

Ali

TAA
    Gini
    Fab
    Robbo

Hendo
    Thiago

Shaq
    Bobby
    Mane.

Salah

Would be grand with that. Perhaps with a bit of luck Naby into midfield instead of Shaq for the first half, and then Shaq on for Naby with 30 mins to go to do his thing.

Christ it reminds me assembling Fifa teams with transfers years ago (before this online teams lark), where I'd be throwing world class midfielders into CB, and world class wingers into fullback just to fit them all in! Mad to think there's a possibility of playing Gini, Fabinho, Henderson, Thiago, and Naby in the same team!

• Advertisement

Would be grand with that. Perhaps with a bit of luck Naby into midfield instead of Shaq for the first half, and then Shaq on for Naby with 30 mins to go to do his thing.

Christ it reminds me assembling Fifa teams with transfers years ago (before this online teams lark), where I'd be throwing world class midfielders into CB, and world class wingers into fullback just to fit them all in! Mad to think there's a possibility of playing Gini, Fabinho, Henderson, Thiago, and Naby in the same team!

If Naby Lad is fit to go yes I would start him ahead of Shaq however either one starting would be grand with me.

I see it reported Arsenal are trying to offload Sokratis to us, He played for Klopp at BVB however like Ozil he is on the outs there and hasn't played all season.

I see it reported Arsenal are trying to offload Sokratis to us, He played for Klopp at BVB however like Ozil he is on the outs there and hasn't played all season.

loan till the end of the season? Would definitely take that, hes a step above our other options even if he isnt great.

Grayditch wrote: »

They are result wise but there not playing that well
    The last game they won comfortably was Leeds back on the 20th of December

Drew with Leicester

Villa at home blessed with the Pogba peno ,

Wolves they where awful injury time deflection ,

Another deflected goal to beat Burnely and Burnley CB missed a sitter in the final minute ,

Beaten comfortably by City

There grinding out results but certainly are not in top form

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,365 ✭✭✭.red.

I don't get the whole, it's just Oles Man U mentality ahead of the weekend.
    They are ahead of us on points with the same played. If they beat us they go 6 clear.
    They've had a lot of luck and decisions go they're way but the fact is, they are ahead of us.

We've been exceptionally poor, if we turn up and play as well as we know we can, we should win, maybe even comfortably but for the last few games we haven't done that. Fingers crossed the tides turn at the weekend.
    I want to beat them in the cup too but not as bothered as the weekends game.

I'm still more worried about city, a point behind us and a game in hand and slowly and steadily marching on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

This is incredible.

Mark Clattenburg has a go at Klopp for raising the penalty issue.

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/jurgen-klopp-manchester-united-penalty-19622306

1. He essentially admits there was bias towards Utd in the Fergie years.
    2. He only says it 'eased'.

Mad, Ted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,738 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Wait until Toby sees the above post!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

Man United are a sideshow in terms of where this league ends up. We need to win this weekend but not because they're a threat, even they're own manager is tripping over himself to try talk them out of it, City are *the* threat. Playing reasonably well, aren't conceding many, scoring enough, unbeaten since the spurs game in November.

I think, nobody had gone more than 3 wins a row this season, City have just done 4 and have a very winnable run to add to it coming up before they play us in a few weeks.

If we don't start winning games and fast we could be a long way behind them by the time we play them.

.red. wrote: »
    I don't get the whole, it's just Oles Man U mentality ahead of the weekend.
    They are ahead of us on points with the same played. If they beat us they go 6 clear.
    They've had a lot of luck and decisions go they're way but the fact is, they are ahead of us.

We've been exceptionally poor, if we turn up and play as well as we know we can, we should win, maybe even comfortably but for the last few games we haven't done that. Fingers crossed the tides turn at the weekend.
    I want to beat them in the cup too but not as bothered as the weekends game.

I'm still more worried about city, a point behind us and a game in hand and slowly and steadily marching on.

Just one thing I will say yes of course we have been below our best but not that far below ,

We totally controlled the games against Westbrom , Newcastle & Southampton more so than United have any of there recent games ,

Westbrom had two chance's scored one , The one that came about because Jones & Williams where acting the ejits, ,
    Newcastle had none (maybe Clarke header)
    Southampton had 1 and scored , it was barley a chance just a great goal

We just lacked a bit of luck in the box,

Westbrom we should have but the game to bed in the first half

Newcastle Salah missed 2 sitter , Bobby missed 2 headers , Keeper held Mane leg ,

Saints not that many chance but could have had a couple of penalties

Yes we have been poor and below par but we haven't been miles away , an early goal the weekend and no reason we can not click into gear ,

• Advertisement

1 lousy goal since the 24th of Dec . Hopefully saving 7 for United, with Salah and Mane getting hat tricks, and Henderson with a screamer .

And still top scorers in the league :D

Just one thing I will say yes of course we have been below our best but not that far below ,

We totally controlled the games against Westbrom , Newcastle & Southampton more so than United have any of there recent games ,

Westbrom had two chance's scored one , The one that came about because Jones & Williams where acting the ejits, ,
    Newcastle had none (maybe Clarke header)
    Southampton had 1 and scored , it was barley a chance just a great goal

We just lacked a bit of luck in the box,

Westbrom we should have but the game to bed in the first half

Newcastle Salah missed 2 sitter , Bobby missed 2 headers , Keeper held Mane leg ,

Saints not that many chance but could have had a couple of penalties

Yes we have been poor and below par but we haven't been miles away , an early goal the weekend and no reason we can not click into gear ,

Disagree with your assessment of the Southampton game. They had other chances to score and we didn't create much. In fact we didn't really threaten them when we went behind and they looked comfortable rather. We created **** all against West Brom. It is one thing to have 75% possession and look good tipping it around, it's a different control to create chances at will which we didn't do.

We know the team can turn it on and if they do we will win on Sunday. I just don't see any signs of it atm. Utd won't come to Anfield to play. They will defend in numbers and like the game last year they will fly up on our fullbacks to limit our threat there. They have loads of pace up front and if Fernandes is given any space he will hurt us, particularly on the counter. If Matip doesn't make it then I am fearful about this game. Neither Williams nor Philips have any pace and I don't think we can risk starting either of them, especially with Trent struggling, that right side becomes very exposed. It wouldn't matter as much if we were banging in goals but we aren't. We are creating **** all given the amount of possession we have in games. Every one of those players needs to step up their game or there is a very real chance we come away with nothing.

Disagree with your assessment of the Southampton game. They had other chances to score and we didn't create much. In fact we didn't really threaten them when we went behind and they looked comfortable rather. We created **** all against West Brom. It is one thing to have 75% possession and look good tipping it around, it's a different control to create chances at will which we didn't do.

We know the team can turn it on and if they do we will win on Sunday. I just don't see any signs of it atm. Utd won't come to Anfield to play. They will defend in numbers and like the game last year they will fly up on our fullbacks to limit our threat there. They have loads of pace up front and if Fernandes is given any space he will hurt us, particularly on the counter. If Matip doesn't make it then I am fearful about this game. Neither Williams nor Philips have any pace and I don't think we can risk starting either of them, especially with Trent struggling, that right side becomes very exposed. It wouldn't matter as much if we were banging in goals but we aren't. We are creating **** all given the amount of possession we have in games. Every one of those players needs to step up their game or there is a very real chance we come away with nothing.

We aren't that far away at all ,

Our play has been pretty goods except in the actually box attacking ,

I feel if Jota was fit we would have beat Newcastle & Westbrom we just miss the ability to change up the fort 3 at the moment,

The 3 lads have been out of form but it never goes to long without one of them clicking back in to gear,

Can we lose yes but we could also win it comfortably

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

We aren't that far away at all ,

Our play has been pretty goods except in the actually box attacking ,

I feel if Jota was fit we would have beat Newcastle & Westbrom we just miss the ability to change up the fort 3 at the moment,

The 3 lads have been out of form but it never goes to long without one of them clicking back in to gear,

Can we lose yes but we could also win it comfortably

Yeah, hindsight is great and all but Jota should never have been played in the dead rubber game in Denmark. He was on a great steak and seeing the condition of the pitch and the way the Danes played physically against us the first game at Anfield there were definitely going to be injuries in that game.

dogbert27 wrote: »
    Yeah, hindsight is great and all but Jota should never have been played in the dead rubber game in Denmark. He was on a great steak and seeing the condition of the pitch and the way the Danes played physically against us the first game at Anfield there were definitely going to be injuries in that game.

Jota did not start the previous game against Wolves & was probably earmarked to start the following game away to Fulham on the bench ,
    So I don't see the problem with starting him in the champions league game it was just really unfortunate himself and Tsimakas picked up the same injury out in Denmark ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

dogbert27 wrote: »

As you say, hindsight is a great thing. I've no issue whatsoever with Jota starting that game. I do however have issue with Salah starting that game. But as it played out, it was Jota that got injured while Salah scored and didn't get injured.

If you think back to before that game, all of the injuries Liverpool had were in defence and midfield. Klopp made a host of changes to the team that night in those areas - I think it was 6 changes in defence & midfield alone. Robbo, Matip, Hendo, Gini, Jones all on the bench and Fabinho was penciled in for his 45 min slot. The rotation was clear here.

Up front, at the time, he still had 6 fit attackers. While there was clearly a 4 into 3 policy between Mane, Salah, Firmino & Jota for the games in November and December to rotate each of the players during the busy schedule. 3 were starting and 1 as sub for the whole part. Firmino was being rested in the CL games (he only started 1 game and played less than 170 mins overall in the group stage). The others were rotating in the preceding games.

As great form as Jota was in, he was still the number 4 attacker on the list. Mane Firmino Salah were always going to be Klopp's go to guys. He was bought as the alternative option to the front 3 and to provide genuine competition and sub opportunities. He also moved to Liverpool to play CL football. I think that Jota should have started that game as it was the type of game we bought players for - for one of the front 3 had to drop out of the starting team and we didn't want a drop in quality. He also hadn't played as much as the other 3 players had played in the game previous.

Leicester Nov 22nd -Mane Firmino Jota as the front 3 (Salah had COVID so this was his 'rest')
    Atalanta Nov 25th - Mane Origi Salah as the front 3 (Firmino & Jota on bench)
    Brighton Nov 28th - Jota Firmino Salah as the front 3 (Mane on bench)
    Ajax Dec 1st - Mane Jota Salah (Firmino on bench)
    Wolves Dec 6th - Mane Firmino Salah (Jota on bench)
    Midjtylland Dec 9th - Jota Origi Salah (Mane & Firmino on bench)

Salah - 5 starts in 5 before Midjtylland, so should have been rested IMO.
    Mane - 4 starts in 5 before Midjtylland so was due a rest
    Firmino - 3 starts in 5 before Midjtylland but always rested in CL. Origi needed a game.
    Jota - 3 starts in 5 before Midjtylland so he was not exactly needing a rest and this start brought him up to par in terms of starts.

If Jota was still fit, he probably would have started the Fulham game that weekend alongside Firmino & Mane but the Spurs game the following midweek would probably have been Mane Firmino Salah up front again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,591 ✭✭✭brevity

SlickRic wrote: »
    This is incredible.

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/jurgen-klopp-manchester-united-penalty-19622306

Mad, Ted.

What a ****ing joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,631 ✭✭✭willabur

Klopp messed up massively in denmark. There was no return on the risk of playing anyone close to the first 11 in that game.

Looking at sunday I would have preferred us to be in better form coming into it. Teams have been successful against us sitting in deep, tucking in defenders and sitting midfielders to make the space around the box super compact. Utd have serious weapons on the counter attack.

the key for us will be whether we can pull them out wide. Robbo and Trent need to be on song. Robbo needs to have the threat of a shot in him, its been too easy for defenders to let him have the ball in our box knowing he will not shoot.

Lastly Bobby needs to dominate the D. They will have Mctomminay and probably matic or fred in a square with Bailey and mcguire and they will be looking to keep that space as tight as fck. Bobby needs to find the pocket and release Sadio, Mo, Robbo and Trent bursting past him into the box

SlickRic wrote: »
    This is incredible.

Mad, Ted.

What kinda interview is that. Clearly admitting that he's influenced .

"I am the only referee to give three penalties to the opposition at Old Trafford, would not have happened if Fergie was there!"

''"Klopp sounds like a hypocrite if he is suggesting United's players are looking to win penalties. The likes of Mo Salah and (Sadio) Mane are just as capable of employing similar tactics,

Bull, we can't get Mane or Salah to go down, whether from head locks, or kicks, they just wont go down, and the refs won't give it unless they do, can't win.

The refs and the Premier League are trying their best to make the league more exciting, and are using VAR to influence results, deliberately or subconsciously. Either way it's happening.

Twice in recent games McGuire used his hands at the end of games to clear ball, and no way were the VAR going to take victory from them, they wanted them winning against Burnley, but if that was us the penalty would have been given against us.
    All rigged, so fixed , and here we have a ref admitting to it when Fergie was about, and saying it's eased... but still happening. We can all see it's happening, thanks for confirming .

willabur wrote: »
    Klopp messed up massively in denmark. There was no return on the risk of playing anyone close to the first 11 in that game.

Looking at sunday I would have preferred us to be in better form coming into it. Teams have been successful against us sitting in deep, tucking in defenders and sitting midfielders to make the space around the box super compact. Utd have serious weapons on the counter attack.

the key for us will be whether we can pull them out wide. Robbo and Trent need to be on song. Robbo needs to have the threat of a shot in him, its been too easy for defenders to let him have the ball in our box knowing he will not shoot.

Lastly Bobby needs to dominate the D. They will have Mctomminay and probably matic or fred in a square with Bailey and mcguire and they will be looking to keep that space as tight as fck. Bobby needs to find the pocket and release Sadio, Mo, Robbo and Trent bursting past him into the box

Yeah I expect Utd to set up like this. I think they will go with 2 forwards in Rashford and Martial with Fernandes behind them. They will have 3 midfielders sitting. I expect Pogba and 2 of Fred, Matic or McTominay. They will be tasked with allowing us no space around the attacking third and to close off the channels around Bobby. Their fullbacks will sprint out of the line to get to our fullbacks early.

If Matip is not fit then I would rather Henderson filled in than either of Williams or Philips. I would play 2 deep midfielders, ideally Gini and Thiago with both swapping responsibility for kicking the ankles off Fernandes (not literally but to get very tight and not give him space). I would start Shaq in the center between Mane and Salah with Bobby up top. He has that creativity through the middle I think we will need and it will give those 3 deep midfielders I expect Utd to play lots more to think about and occupy them. It is too easy for them if they just have Bobby to look after. I think they are also weak against midfielders making late runs in to the box and getting on the end of cutbacks. Their midfielders tend to defend very deep when they are defending wide positions.

My team if Matip not fit:
    Alisson
    Trent, Hendo, Fab, Robertson
    Thiago, Gini
    Salah, Shaq, Mane
    Bobby

Yeah I expect Utd to set up like this. I think they will go with 2 forwards in Rashford and Martial with Fernandes behind them. They will have 3 midfielders sitting. I expect Pogba and 2 of Fred, Matic or McTominay. They will be tasked with allowing us no space around the attacking third and to close off the channels around Bobby. Their fullbacks will sprint out of the line to get to our fullbacks early.

If Matip is not fit then I would rather Henderson filled in than either of Williams or Philips. I would play 2 deep midfielders, ideally Gini and Thiago with both swapping responsibility for kicking the ankles off Fernandes (not literally but to get very tight and not give him space). I would start Shaq in the center between Mane and Salah with Bobby up top. He has that creativity through the middle I think we will need and it will give those 3 deep midfielders I expect Utd to play lots more to think about and occupy them. It is too easy for them if they just have Bobby to look after. I think they are also weak against midfielders making late runs in to the box and getting on the end of cutbacks. Their midfielders tend to defend very deep when they are defending wide positions.

My team if Matip not fit:
    Alisson
    Trent, Hendo, Fab, Robertson
    Thiago, Gini
    Salah, Shaq, Mane
    Bobby

Id go with the personal but feel if that is the starting 11 there positions will be slightly different,

Shaq Bobby Mane
    Salah

I wonder is there any chance we see the 4 42 we played against City ,

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement