Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2020/2021

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Its the one game we need Joel then wrap him in cotton wool again
    Burnley the following game is made for Phillips , the FA cup game away to United who cares, Then Spurs away we will need Matip again ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Enzokk

And it is no surprise that it was Mourinho that passed on to the likes of Rashford that he has to be "savvy" to win penalties because being honest doesn't work.

Marcus Rashford: 'Jose Mourinho taught me to be more savvy in the penalty area'
    The England striker, 23, said Mourinho changed his attitude in the box.

He added: "Jose said, 'if you're not savvy about the way you do it, then you are not going to get given it'."

Mourinho left United in 2018 after two years in charge, and since Solskjaer's first league match in December of that year, the side have been awarded the most Premier League penalties (27).

Last season United broke the record for the most spot-kicks awarded in a single Premier League season (14) and this campaign they have won 11 in all competitions.

"When you are making runs in behind or you are dribbling with the ball and you see a challenge coming, you don't want to get tackled because you are looking at an opportunity to score a goal," said Rashford, who won the Football Writers' Association 2021 Tribute Award on Thursday.

"But there have been times when we have probably not got penalties.

"When Jose was manager, there were five or six times I can remember where I should have had a penalty."

Upon being given the advice, Rashford said: "It was something in terms of development you have to learn and understand."

I think this is obvious, if you don't go down you will not get given a penalty. But the reaction of the UK pundits have been appalling here. They should know better, maybe they do and they are doing it to be controversial, but rather than focus on Salah going down softly they should hammer referees that it has come to this.

If more attention was given to the incidents where a penalty wasn't given instead of ones where a foreigner went down easily it would make the need to go down less. Instead we have the ridiculous situation these days where players go down easily and get rewarded and others that don't go down doesn't. It does nothing to improve the game or help the referees.

This follows on from Clattenburg confirming what most others have known, referees have been favouring United when Ferguson was manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,926 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

So you ha e a current Man U player admitting that he and other Man U players have been coached on how to what win penalties.

Then you have a former top referee admitting that referees had bias towards Man U.

I wonder what PGMOL are thinking about that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

It would be better if anyone but Clattenburg said it, he always just looked for attention.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

I'm just glad its their own player bringing it to everyone's attention. If anyone else does it they're a hypocrite or salty. Might make refs think twice. Doubt it but might.

And to be honest I've no issue with them doing it, just wish ours would more often. They have the diver tag anyway, go earn it.

• Advertisement

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Eder Miliato apparently available on loan from Madrid too. Would be another decent option, decent on the ball. Cost Madrid 50 million euros! Also no harm that he's Brazilian, so communication with Fabinho beside him is that bit easier.

This seems to be picking up a bit of steam today with Madrid offering him out to clubs on a 6 month with an option to buy

Rodrigo De Paul of Udinese is being linked today as the replacement for Gini.

With CB's expected as well there could be a busy summer in the transfer market.

Then of course Mbappe as well :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

I think Matip will play on Sunday if he's anywhere near fit at all, even at 60 or 70% he's still the best option available. If we even got an hour out of him and then let Henderson or one of the other two finish the match. If he doesn't play at all, we really will be up against it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,371 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

So you ha e a current Man U player admitting that he and other Man U players have been coached on how to what win penalties.

Then you have a former top referee admitting that referees had bias towards Man U.

I wonder what PGMOL are thinking about that.
    Do I need to drag up the video of Gerrard telling Clattenberg to card Neville in that Merseyside derby or will that weaken your shíte talk?

If he felt pressured by a manager then maybe he was just a bad ref?

There was a national TV ad that made reference to United getting penalties at a time that Liverpool had more penalties over the course of the PL despite United being a far better team over the course of it.

They did some job at trying to turn the narrative that United cheated their way to all those titles at the expense of poor plucky Liverpool though.

Liam O wrote: »
    Do I need to drag up the video of Gerrard telling Clattenberg to card Neville in that Merseyside derby or will that weaken your shíte talk?

There was a national TV ad that made reference to United getting penalties at a time that Liverpool had more penalties over the course of the PL despite United being a far better team over the course of it.

They did some job at trying to turn the narrative that United cheated their way to all those titles at the expense of poor plucky Liverpool though.

So other than deflection and whataboutery, anything else to add?

• Advertisement

I wouldn't expect anything more from Mourinho tbf. Hardly surprising. Anyway, the Utd job was too big for him, and he ultimately failed there.

In other news, Matip isn't ruled out just yet. If he's fit we've a great chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Mad stuff. You think Gerrard is the only player to ask referee's to book opposition players? I don't remember the incident but I'm assuming Gerrard waved the imaginary card, something I don't like btw, but it doesn't matter as it's ultimately the same thing as just asking/shouting for a booking outright.. what exactly do you think players are shouting at a referee whenever there's a tackle on their team-mate?

"Hey ref, how's the form?" ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 775 ✭✭✭RonanG86

This seems to be picking up a bit of steam today with Madrid offering him out to clubs on a 6 month with an option to buy

The 'option' will probably have a mandatory activation clause if he plays a certain amount of games.

fyfe79 wrote: »
    Mad stuff. You think Gerrard is the only player to ask referee's to book opposition players? I don't remember the incident but I'm assuming Gerrard waved the imaginary card, something I don't like btw, but it doesn't matter as it's ultimately the same thing as just asking/shouting for a booking outright.. what exactly do you think players are shouting at a referee whenever there's a tackle on their team-mate?

"Hey ref, how's the form?" ?

https://www.planetfootball.com/nostalgia/everton-liverpool-mark-clattenburg-mental-2007-merseyside-derby/

Was actually Tony Hibbert who the ref was about to book before Gerrard told him to get the red. In front of everyone's eyes.

Yet this is the man who yis all believe when he says refs were intimidated by big bad Fergie.

And all the internet buzzards lap it up as some sort of proof of institutional bias :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Matip trained today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

https://www.planetfootball.com/nostalgia/everton-liverpool-mark-clattenburg-mental-2007-merseyside-derby/

Was actually Tony Hibbert who the ref was about to book before Gerrard told him to get the red. In front of everyone's eyes.

Yet this is the man who yis all believe when he says refs were intimidated by big bad Fergie.

And all the internet buzzards lap it up as some sort of proof of institutional bias :D

Like, yeah, cause's he is the ref, and says that's how it was so...

I have no idea what that horrifically written article is supposed to bring to the conversation..?

Enzokk wrote: »
    So other than deflection and whataboutery, anything else to add?

How's it whataboutery to say that Liverpool were getting more penalties than United and their fans are now retroactively trying to claim some sort of institutional bias is the reason for United's success? This after Liverpool players during these periods literally attempting to influence refs clear as day both on the pitch and on social media.

Get over it lads, I know I've had to put up with Liverpool simply being better than United the last few years. That doesn't seem to be good enough for some though it seems. Have to hold on to the past even when winning.

How's it whataboutery to say that Liverpool were getting more penalties than United and their fans are now retroactively trying to claim some sort of institutional bias is the reason for United's success? This after Liverpool players during these periods literally attempting to influence refs clear as day both on the pitch and on social media.

Get over it lads, I know I've had to put up with Liverpool simply being better than United the last few years. That doesn't seem to be good enough for some though it seems. Have to hold on to the past even when winning.

Christ, it's come up recently because a ref from the era has literally just come out and said that they were inclined to give more to Ferguson... it's topical... that's how discussion forums tend to work.

And of course it's not the reason for their success. I've not seen anyone say it is. But it's an interesting insight on a period of domination.

Fitz* wrote: »
    Matip trained today.

Huge news.

Though I assume he's now out for the next 4 weeks as a result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,787 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

• Advertisement

Fitz* wrote: »
    Matip trained today.

oh thank god!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,787 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Jesus that was an absolute rocket.
    One of my favorite songs to follow from it too.

https://twitter.com/TheAnfieldWrap/status/1350101622152716289?s=19

Tsimikas was training as well.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Christ, it's come up recently because a ref from the era has literally just come out and said that they were inclined to give more to Ferguson... it's topical... that's how discussion forums tend to work.

And of course it's not the reason for their success. I've not seen anyone say it is. But it's an interesting insight on a period of domination.

Yes, but that ref is Mark Clattenburg, a mouthpiece who has been shown previously to be impacted and intimidated on the pitch by Liverpool players during a game. Which he was given time off after because of. I noticed it would happen at the time when he was refereeing games.

I am not going to derail this thread but just point out, not addressing the points in the post but asking about our past players. That is almost text book definition of whataboutery. "What about Gerrard...."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

https://twitter.com/LFC/status/1350154332478574594?s=20

Boom!

Looky looky...

Klopp must have got the inhalers out for Matip and Tsimikas....

Yes, but that ref is Mark Clattenburg, a mouthpiece who has been shown previously to be impacted and intimidated on the pitch by Liverpool players during a game. Which he was given time off after because of. I noticed it would happen at the time when he was refereeing games.

Let me play your game...What about that time the current head of the PGMOL was refereeing a United match?

This proves something...although what I don't know. But it is something I tell you. Bias from the PGMOL...that's it...its bias and you just don't want to acknowledge it so you are trying to make this about Clattenburg and Gerrard.

Grand, it's still a really interesting piece of information. We know it effected one ref, who himself is of the impression it effected others too. That's interesting.

And if he was influenced in other situations too, well that's fairly consistent isn't it? So it's interesting that he would point out one club in particular who he thinks had an especially strong influence over this sort of thing.

(you're really fixating on one game in a really weird way by the way, in a conversation that's about behaviour over the course of more than a decade...)

I am not going to derail this thread but just point out, not addressing the points in the post but asking about our past players. That is almost text book definition of whataboutery. "What about Gerrard...."

A referee who was given "time off" after a Merseyside derby because of decisions in favour of Liverpool is being held up as some sort of whistleblower here because he said there was an aura around United at the time that meant they may get beneficial decisions.

He was a bad ref who, as I said, seemed to react to an aura around Liverpool and Gerrard that time. I see it as being perfectly relevant to show he's just talking nonsense to get his name in the media. The usuals have lapped it up though. I always seen him as a Liverpool homer after that day.

• Advertisement

Let me play your game...What about that time the current head of the PGMOL was refereeing a United match?

This proves something...although what I don't know. But it is something I tell you. Bias from the PGMOL...that's it...its bias and you just don't want to acknowledge it so you are trying to make this about Clattenburg and Gerrard.

The Great Premier League Swindle.

United should have had 3 sent off (even Neville's booking could've been a straight red, after he got a way with a yellow earlier).
    Rooney blatant dive for a pen.

It really was absolutely outrageous stuff out of Riley.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

fyfe79 wrote: »
    The Great Premier League Swindle.

United should have had 3 sent off (even Neville's booking could've been a straight red, after he got a way with a yellow earlier).
    Rooney blatant dive for a pen.

It really was absolutely outrageous stuff out of Riley.

I do like that title.

I posted before about that reffing performance, it was absolutely outrageous, Arsenal were completely shafted that day.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,267 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Had to stop watching that Riley video for my health. Wtf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Genuinely used by the referees association over here as an example of how a referee let one team get him to do whatever they want and how bad it can get if you do.

Tyler a bit more obvious back in the day as well....calling Rooney a rascal for cleaning someone out of it. :rolleyes:

Van Nistelroy's tackle was an absolute shocker as well.

I know football has moved on a bit from the mid 2000's, but even at the time those kind of tackles were already frowned upon. That game was like watching an international from the 70's behind the Iron Curtain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 775 ✭✭✭RonanG86

Once PGMOL put Riley in charge its sole function was going to be protecting refs from criticism for stupid decisions, not improving the quality of refereeing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭Akabusi

Tyler a bit more obvious back in the day as well....calling Rooney a rascal for cleaning someone out of it. :rolleyes:

I cancelled my sky sports the other day and when the sky girl on the phone asked what was the reason i told them I couldn't hack Tyler's heavy breathing and groaning into the mic anymore. I think it went over her head, she just said i could have it for half price. I declined saying it was too disturbing a sound during matches and put me off football.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,490 ✭✭✭KevRossi

EryXmcUXcAADwxP?format=jpg&name=900x900

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭Plasandrunt

You mean when Gerrard helped Clattenberg to do his job correctly and send Hibbert off for being the last man.

What a bloke

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,465 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

I wish we had Gerrard on Sunday, incredible player with such immense passion for the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I wish we had Gerrard on Sunday, incredible player with such immense passion for the club.

No point having passion when you haven't played in years Toby. Match fitness would be through the floor ;)

The Guardian is reporting there was a clear the air team meeting this week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

between who?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,628 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Matt Ryan being let go by Brighton. I'd be all over that should Ali get injured and Kelleher is the only backup.

between who?

Liverpool team meeting clears air before Manchester United showdown

Klopp says team have renewed focus for Anfield clash
    ‘We know what went wrong. We know what to change’

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/jan/15/liverpool-team-meeting-clears-air-before-manchester-united-showdown

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,729 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

What a wonderful picture of Gerry
    539667.jpeg

The next day after Southampton it seems. Hopefully they got in a good week or so of training on training.

Really is fcuking gas that they needed to have a clear the air meeting anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,465 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

The next day after Southampton it seems. Hopefully they got in a good week or so of training on training.

Really is fcuking gas that they needed to have a clear the air meeting anyway.

You see it on the pitch, individuals not a team, dunno why that was, but it looked obvious.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement