Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2020/2021

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,926 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

It looks like Gini has signed a pre contact with Barca according to the Mirror.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,267 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

You see it on the pitch, individuals not a team, dunno why that was, but it looked obvious.

What I mean is that why on earth are the champions of england in such dire straits they need to have crisis talks.

Klopp just needs to give some of them a kick up the hole and maybe try something fresh in tactics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 420 ✭✭BRYAN Is Ainm Dom

It looks like Gini has signed a pre contact with Barca according to the Mirror.

The Mirror 😂😂😂😂😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

The next day after Southampton it seems. Hopefully they got in a good week or so of training on training.

Really is fcuking gas that they needed to have a clear the air meeting anyway.

I think the newspaper lads are just trying to create drama there too with that wording... they decided to use the phrase 'clear the air', not Klopp. Klopp just said "the next day we spoke and the boys had their say as well, all that kind of stuff.We know what went wrong. We want to change. Now, we have to put in place on the pitch. That is the situation", which sounds a bit less dramatic, and I presume what happens after pretty much every game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

The Mirror 😂😂😂😂😂

A lot more than that reporting it now, looks like it is the case...

Will miss him, great player and the Dutch dream of playing for Barca it's very plausible...

I wish him all the best and thank him for the good times, not sure Koeman will last though...

Elliott with another assist today for Blackburn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,465 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Hard to see why he'd leave if it wasn't for the contract running out. Suits BArca to pick him up for free, and suit Gini to triple his wages while playing for a top club like Barca.
    He's on a measly 75k a week for us, which is not cool considering he has played 45 games a season for last 5 seasons for us.
    On a free he'll be on 200k a week at Barca .

I'll be disappointed to see him leave however the team/squad needs to regenerate with younger players and Gini is just the first of the main stays to leave.

I'll be disappointed to see him leave however the team/squad needs to regenerate with younger players and Gini is just the first of the main stays to leave.

Agreed but Wini is the one I would be keeping (if it could be helped) while letting other, more injury prone, players go.

It's freakish how much we've relied on Wini while others have been out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Agreed but Wini is the one I would be keeping (if it could be helped) while letting other, more injury prone, players go.

It's freakish how much we've relied on Wini while others have been out.

True enough that there are others that contribute less, but within Gini's age bracket in midfield there's just him, Hendo, and Thiago. Thiago is already signed up for the next 4 years, and Hendo has 2 years to run after this season. Circumstances have just dictated that the 'age' question has hit first with Gini.

I think it's stuff like this that made Klopp sign his own contract extension. As he said, he wants to assemble the next team before he leaves. That'll begin with replacing Gini with a 23 or 24 year old I think. Someone like Aouar perhaps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,976 ✭✭✭doc_17

I hope we don’t have any COVID issues after playing two clubs that have had these issues in our last two games. And I hope Matip is fit. And I hope we can improve our performance level. Since Fulham, Palace aside, we’ve been dreadful.

I’m doing a lot of hoping....

Klopp should bring in a freekick choreographer, I mean we already have a throw in coach.

Free goals are great goals. Turns a draw to a win

I remember that Agger goal, nice cheap goal, but vital.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,490 ✭✭✭KevRossi

He's just turned 30. He has 4-5 years at the top ahead of him. I think it's a big mistake letting him go, he seems to me to be more than just a player. He's worth as much in wages as the highest paid in the club IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,932 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Just saw Fulham had a player rightfully sent off for a tackle nearly identical to Walcott's on Milner that wasn't even considered a foul.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Ikozma

I'll miss gini's sideways and backwards passing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Feels like today could be a big day.

9hrs to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,787 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

I can't see it happening but I feel we might need the magic of Thiago and Shaqiri on from the start. I suppose it could happen depending on who goes into the CB position.

Mane. Firmino. Salah

Henderson. Thiago. Shaqiri

Robo. Fab. Gini. TAA

• Registered Users Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭Pepp1989

We need TAA to step up today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,738 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Hard to believe Thiago is only making his home debut today

• Advertisement

I'm pissed off that we're in this position today against United where it's a must win, but I really do think they are there for the taking if we are patient and take our chances that will inevitably come.

City swept them aside with relative ease in the League Cup and I would expect us to do the same. No excuses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭tinpib

I am now cautiously optimistic after seeing Matip trained, I was a negative nelly before that. I saw a headline that there was some type of clear the air team meeting to try and address the recent poor form.

Thankfully over the last 3 years or so Liverpool have risen to the occasion in big games. It reminds me of what United did for many years under Fergie and what Liverpool did before that.

Hopefully Matip and Fab as CB, Hendo, Gini and Thiago in midfield. As I say I'm cautiously optimistic that at home we will produce a performance similar to the Spurs home one, win the game, and get the season back on track.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

United will play dour defensive football and sit back.
    They will play counter attacks and hope the ref bails them out with a dodgey VAR decision.
    Expect constant cynical following by united to break up the flow of the game .
    United penalty and/or a goal from a corner is pretty certain

If matip starts then I fancy the pool, also klopp had to pull the trigger and haul whichever one of the front three isn’t performing for shaq.
    Henderson should be banned from crossing the ball.
    Trent should reduce his crosses today by half at least as Harry McGuire would have a field day.

The pool should aim to control the ball and hold on to it with the hope that united it I’ll tire after the 70 minute mark and the game will open up and hopefully our finishing is on point.

Stats suggest United are slowing plenty of shots on them in the last few matches so the pool should have their chances whether the take then or not is another thing.

A draw is a great result for united but nothing but a win for the pool will do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

As infuriating as that 'Henderson chipped ball to the back post' has been over the last few weeks, it is still as asset to have. It has worked in the past, and today it could be an opening too. AWB is susceptible to a ball played over his head to the far post and this could be the source of an opening with Mane onrushing behind him.

Oh and no idiotic corner tricks today please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

Lads this is LFCwe will click today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭tinpib

Fitz* wrote: »
    AWB is susceptible to a ball played over his head to the far post

Ya, some of the lads on the United thread are saying that until they are blue in the face. Hopefully the Liverpool analysts read Boards too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,635 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Fitz* wrote: »
    As infuriating as that 'Henderson chipped ball to the back post' has been over the last few weeks, it is still as asset to have. It has worked in the past, and today it could be an opening too. AWB is susceptible to a ball played over his head to the far post and this could be the source of an opening with Mane onrushing behind him.

Crosses from the right might be OK, Maguire generally plays on the left, so if you clear him there are openings between AWB and whoever, lindelof or whoever. Bigger challenge will be moving Matic and whoever else is sitting in front in the low block, be it McTom or Fred. Move Matic around, maybe force an early yellow.

Bet if the day, first goalscorer Fernandes (probably from a VAR penalty)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,656 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

Pleeeeeeeease don't lose the unbeaten home run, a draw is acceptable, VAR could decide it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

I'm expecting a win but even if we lose, we beat them many times on their way to titles when they were the best. Today isn't the be all and end all. There are many battles to come.

• Advertisement

VVD teasing us with videos of him on the pitch training with a football. Lovren was nice enough to join him too! Hopefully he is not rushing himself back for the Euros causing long term damage.

Holland didn't qualify for the last World Cup so from his viewpoint, you can can see why he would want to captain his country at an international tournament.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭koppy

Don't understand why people want shaqiri to start. Dont get that at all. Be shocked if he does. Be some boost to utd to see the Liverpool team sheet and shaqiri starting.

koppy wrote: »
    Don't understand why people want shaqiri to start. Dont get that at all. Be shocked if he does. Be some boost to utsmd to see the Liverpool team sheet and shaqiri starting.

Shaqiri only starts if Matip is not fit and Hendo had to play CB, IMO.

I think Matip will start and Hendo Thiago & Gini start midfield today. But I would prefer a bit of a tweak and have Gini play as the 6, with Hendo on the right to allow Trent to so his thing with no worries about behind him, and thus freeing up Salah more. Then have Thiago on the left and have him higher up the field, creating from there. I think he can have joy on that side. But most importantly, a bit of Thiago's creation has gone missing while he has played deeper as some of the great openings and quick passes creating space have ended up at a player like Gini who takes an extra touch at the edge of the box and the opening is lost a bit.

koppy wrote: »
    Don't understand why people want shaqiri to start. Dont get that at all. Be shocked if he does. Be some boost to utd to see the Liverpool team sheet and shaqiri starting.

He only turns up against Utd and Barca

Take more than matip been out for shaq to get a start. Ox and Jones ahead of him surely.

Never forget :cool:

faa8513007be0fc9c76d8b2dcc670e0c205e9bbb.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

Jones maybe. Ox hasn't been the same since that injury. He offers absolutely nothing most games he plays.

I see Shaqiri starting if we go 4-2-3-1, otherwise no chance.

Utd drifting in the betting. Have they an injury? Or is Matip fit?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Shaq is a decent option off the bench but I would not like to see him in the starting 11 today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

We will need to bring in at least one CB, a midfielder to replace Gini, possibly a backup keeper to allow Kelleher go on loan to gain more first team experience and maybe even a forward to replace either Salah or Mane as I think one of them could go this summer, plus a few like Origi, Shaqiri, Adrian and one of Ox or Keita probably going too. So I think a busy summer transfer ahead.

2 cb
    2 midfield
    1 striker

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Rumors no Matip
    Something to do with a leaked room plan for player at the hotel Matip name missing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

I'd take one of these from Shaq today

https://youtu.be/YikhJkPvcDE?t=69

1:09mins in

Cavani never got the better of Fabinho, can't see it happening today.

Rumors no Matip
    Something to do with a leaked room plan for player at the hotel Matip name missing

WTF
    Slice of toast fell on him, out for 5 months?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭mightyreds

Rumors no Matip

I hope klopp's words of signing no one is a ploy, we can't lump from game to game constantly worried what CB's are going to be available, it's looking bleak though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

With Utd sitting back I'd like to see Shaqiri start (or Locksmith Luscious Locks as someone called him here :D).

I want to see some bloody creativity today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭bdmc5

Matip being fit is absolutely critical. Well have so much more balance and confidence in the defence. His distribution (assist for mane Vs West Brom) is also key as it was unbelievably frustrating watching Philips over cook long balls vs Newcastle and Hendo Vs Southampton.

"Hey thanks for the letter about how some things are bigger than football........I'm going to use it to stoke the flames on matchday over a year later"

https://twitter.com/Evra/status/1350798701535649793?s=20

Maybe a bit of a mad one but....should we take a shot on Dele Alli? He fits the age profile you'd assume we're looking for as a Gini replacement, and the actual current Gini replacement has already been signed in Thiago.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement