Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2020/2021

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Really doesnt look like its going to work for Minamino with is, i feel sorry for him looled like he wass being groomed to be Bobbys stand in but then gets shunted all over the place, he just does not seem to have enough for our level

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

Really doesnt look like its going to work for Minamino with is, i feel sorry for him looled like he wass being groomed to be Bobbys stand in but then gets shunted all over the place, he just does not seem to have enough for our level

**** me, the glass is half empty always isn't it? There was so much to be positive about after tonight's performance not least the blooding of a couple of youngsters from our academy which finally seems to be producing lads who can step up, Trent being captain, Kelleher performing well again. You just seem to zero in on the negative so often - you're becoming a parody.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 775 ✭✭✭RonanG86

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,662 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I only saw Salahs goal now (missed the first minute:( )
    He didn't poke it through the keepers legs. It hit off his right foot. Still they all count

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

cj maxx wrote: »
    I only saw Salahs goal now (missed the first minute:( )
    He didn't poke it through the keepers legs. It hit off his right foot. Still they all count

Salah doesn't have a right foot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I think the thing with Minamino is that he hasn't had the rope to hang himself yet (if you'll forgive the somewhat gruesome metaphor).
    We've thankfully had none of the fitness issues we've had elsewhere, in the front three, and unlike previous seasons, we've had a genuine option to rotate in Jota, who was given consistent game time more or less from the off, as can be expected for a player who cost 45m quid (and also, is presumably better at football than Minamino).

I think you can take positives from occasional cameos, but I don't think it makes much sense to take negatives.

It could be that he'll move on never having made an impact, but that'll be mostly down to how he gets on in training and that's not something we get to see directly. We only see who gets picked.

Has Minamino started any PL games? Have we ever seen him swapped in to an otherwise first choice 11? He mightn't deserve to, but until we see that a bit, or he's moved on, I don't think you can have a worthwhile opinion on him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,953 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Bale's just got Karius on the mind because he's barely played a professional football match since that final

mosstin wrote: »
    **** me, the glass is half empty always isn't it? There was so much to be positive about after tonight's performance not least the blooding of a couple of youngsters from our academy which finally seems to be producing lads who can step up, Trent being captain, Kelleher performing well again. You just seem to zero in on the negative so often - you're becoming a parody.

To be fair the young lads and the second stringnwe didnt really learn much from last night everyone just done ok and its hard to judge young lads and second string when its a team full of them fairer to judge then when they play with the full strength 11

Just on Taki i really wanylt and hope he succeeds, i was delighted when we signed but he just doenst seem to be clicking

Its not like im abusing hin or saying anything unfair

Gbear wrote: »
    I think the thing with Minamino is that he hasn't had the rope to hang himself yet (if you'll forgive the somewhat gruesome metaphor).
    We've thankfully had none of the fitness issues we've had elsewhere, in the front three, and unlike previous seasons, we've had a genuine option to rotate in Jota, who was given consistent game time more or less from the off, as can be expected for a player who cost 45m quid (and also, is presumably better at football than Minamino).

I think you can take positives from occasional cameos, but I don't think it makes much sense to take negatives.

It could be that he'll move on never having made an impact, but that'll be mostly down to how he gets on in training and that's not something we get to see directly. We only see who gets picked.

Has Minamino started any PL games? Have we ever seen him swapped in to an otherwise first choice 11? He mightn't deserve to, but until we see that a bit, or he's moved on, I don't think you can have a worthwhile opinion on him.

He started the Brighton game
    But what was frustrating for us and probably him is he played in midfield,
    Didnt Klopp say he was learning how to play our false 9 roll?
    It seems that plan was abandoned it looled in cameos last season he would get to grips with it

I hope he comes good for us of course i do but i dont see that happing in midfield

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

We got Taki for €7m or something so I think people need to check their expectations. He was signed as a back up replacement for Lallana so anything extra he can offer is a bonus.

I really find it strange people seem to have no patience for him given his games are limited while there's Keita over there with his €50m price tag and much more game time even in spite of his injuries, yet people give him all the time in the world.

Taki at least seems to have a very good level of fitness which is very important in our team right now, given there will be games where just being a body on the pitch will be enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

I'm more worried about Tsimikas getting up to speed than Taki. Robertson took time to bed in himself and it took to around now in the season when Moreno got injured (was it the Spartak game?) for him to get his chance.

I'm not trying to be harsh on him because he hasn't gotten the minutes but he quickly needs to get to the level of being adequate as a replacement to start coming in and giving Robbo a rest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,283 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

We got Taki for €7m or something so I think people need to check their expectations. He was signed as a back up replacement for Lallana so anything extra he can offer is a bonus.

I really find it strange people seem to have no patience for him given his games are limited while there's Keita over there with his €50m price tag and much more game time even in spite of his injuries, yet people give him all the time in the world.

Taki at least seems to have a very good level of fitness which is very important in our team right now, given there will be games where just being a body on the pitch will be enough.

It's fair to say that Keita has had a lot more impact when he has played than Minamino has. Keita has always looks capable of being an important player if he can stay fit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭giveitholly

8-10 wrote: »
    I'm more worried about Tsimikas getting up to speed than Taki. Robertson took time to bed in himself and it took to around now in the season when Moreno got injured (was it the Spartak game?) for him to get his chance.

I'm not trying to be harsh on him because he hasn't gotten the minutes but he quickly needs to get to the level of being adequate as a replacement to start coming in and giving Robbo a rest.

Was it a serious injury he picked up last night? Going to set him back even more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,294 ✭✭✭✭rob316

He was a very cheap punt, a grand squad player but I'd be in agreement he isn't pushing anyones place. He just looks too lightweight to me and struggles to influence play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

rob316 wrote: »
    He was a very cheap punt, a grand squad player but I'd be in agreement he isn't pushing anyones place. He just looks too lightweight to me and struggles to influence play.

I'd forgotten until last week how little he cost, is a grand filler player in the squad if he's happy to do that (probably good for Asian marketing too, probably paying his way that truth be told) but he's very lightweight and has made zero impact.

That Tsimikas injury could be a bad one, anything around the knee makes me nervous.

• Advertisement

Also if not for some really questionable refereeing Taki would've won us the game last night

Was it a serious injury he picked up last night? Going to set him back even more

Ah jaysus I didn't even realise he got injured. I was mainly watching the Ajax game so assumed he'd just been subbed when I flicked back and saw Robertson, Henderson, Firmino had come on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

It's fair to say that Keita has had a lot more impact when he has played than Minamino has. Keita has always looks capable of being an important player if he can stay fit.

To be fair to Minamino, he cost very little, he hasn't really had a proper run of games and when he does it's in different positions or with the second string and with the Covid restrictions probably been more difficult for him to establish a role for himself within the squad. I don't think he was ever bought as a possible first team player, just a squad player really with an eye on the Asian market. I'd agree that he hasn't set the world on fire in any game yet, but, I think he's probably worth persisting with for this and next season.
    I'd be more disappointed with Keita, he came with a huge price tag and reputation, but, with the odd exception he hasn't really done it when it matters and injured more often than not, yet he seems to get cut an awful lot of slack from fans on here. When you compare the impact Jota has had compared to Keita for a similar type fee, it really shows how little Keita has contributed in his time at the club so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Keita bar Villa away.
    Has played very well this season. He was very good against Leicester.

Minamino bar Lincoln in the cup & Arsenal cameo in the Shield game has looked poor in his limited gametime.

I though midfield would suit him more but it hasnt. I think he needs to play as #10 but we rarely play the formation needed.
    He isnt strong enough as a #9 up against CB's. Not fast enough to play out wide.

I dont see him making it long term unfortunately.
    This can be the case with so many asian players some very talented players but not used to the instensity of the bigger leagues.
    Hwang at Leipzip now has barely featured & he looked superb at Salzburg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭atilladehun

I'd sell Naby in the summer. I think he's played well when fit and has great potential but through no fault of his own is injury prone. His contract is up in 2023. Ox too.

We need players like minamino in the squad. Would be great if he settled in a bit more but sometimes you just need older pros for games like last night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Are we all in agreement that big divock offers nothing anymore?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

Yes.

Build the statue & move him on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

I think he's comfortable now being used as a sub and is not trying too hard in fear of someone else showing an interest in him and then he'll have to do something! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,041 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Unfortunately yeah... it’s a shame, as he’s actually great at what he does - he’s just not arsed doing what he does anymore. Have to think a big part of that is because even at his best, his style just doesn’t fit, so where’s the incentive to really try... there’s been a marked devolution in his game over the past year.

He’ll always be a club hero because of Dortmund, and Barcelona, and Spurs, and Everton (x2), and Arsenal, and his 5 in 5 run when Mane was at Afcon a few years back - he’s had more ‘hero’ moments than most, despite being a bit part player. Not bad going!

And he’s still only 25... I hope he gets a good move, as there’s a terrific player in there at a club that fits him, and I’m confident if he’s the main man the enthusiasm and effort we used to see will return.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

DVDM93 wrote: »
    Yes.

Build the statue & move him on.

And if we can't sell him, play the statue. It'd offer more options/movement than Big Div at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭robwen

The box set..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

I wish it wasnt so PC, i reckon Andy is a maniac.

Vicxas wrote: »
    I wish it wasnt so PC, i reckon Andy is a maniac.

It's more U than PC... it's for a universal audience of all fans including kids etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

A total of eight Liverpool players appear on the FIFA FIFPro Men's World11 shortlist for 2020.

Alisson Becker, Trent Alexander-Arnold, Virgil van Dijk, Andy Robertson, Thiago Alcantara, Jordan Henderson, Sadio Mane and Mohamed Salah are among the 55 nominees.

The shortlist was compiled after FIFA and FIFPro invited all professional footballers around the world to pick their most outstanding players in all positions for the year.

The goalkeeper, three defenders, three midfielders and three forwards who received the most votes will make up the team. The remaining spot will be allocated to the outfield player with the next highest number of votes.

The World11 will be revealed on Thursday December 17.

https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/first-team/419546-eight-liverpool-players-on-fifa-fifpro-world11-shortlist

That shortlist is complete nonsense

Coutinho, Dele Alli, De Gea, Marcelo, Dani Alves..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

That shortlist is complete nonsense

Coutinho, Dele Alli, De Gea, Marcelo, Dani Alves..

I think people would be shocked at how little pro footballers watch football outside of the studying they have to do. It's why there's always mad names popping up in votes made by players. It's very much he was the best player I played against so he gets my vote or he's my team mate and is the best player in the team.

Think I heard VVD say he barely watches any matches outside of Liverpool games. Also heard a journalist on Off The Ball during the week talking about Messi and basically said he doesn't know many footballers outside of Barcelona so wouldn't even recognise famous players when he turns up at award shows/plays against them.

And we've all heard the stories of players having no idea who they are playing that day when they turn up for the game! And then you have the other players who will watch every game of ball they can lay their eyes on.

Fromvert wrote: »
    I think people would be shocked at how little pro footballers watch football outside of the studying they have to do. It's why there's always mad names popping up in votes made by players. It's very much he was the best player I played against so he gets my vote or he's my team mate and is the best player in the team.

Think I heard VVD say he barely watches any matches outside of Liverpool games. Also heard a journalist on Off The Ball during the week talking about Messi and basically said he doesn't know many footballers outside of Barcelona so wouldn't even recognise famous players when he turns up at award shows/plays against them.

And we've all heard the stories of players having no idea who they are playing that day when they turn up for the game! And then you have the other players who will watch every game of ball they can lay their eyes on.

And then you have kids like Trent and Jota playing FIFA all the time so probably think players are as good as their ratings in the game!

Alessandro Nesta would be proud

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Pity about the red bull advertisement:pac:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,217 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

So will Salah start this week lads? Asking for about 7 million friends :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

Kiith wrote: »

I don't see why he wouldn't :confused:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,217 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

x43r0 wrote: »

Played full game mid week, and you've got Spurs 3 days after the Fulham game?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

Salah doesn't tend to get rested in the league. I would say a start and subbed off around 60-65mins is the more likely scenario if they're looking to protect him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭evil_seed

I'd say the plan is to try and go up early against Fulham, then sub players from an hour onwards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,106 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Klopp has said that Alisson is expected back in full training today. If he gets through it ok, then he should be playing Sunday.

Jota has a knock. Doesn't sound serious but maybe confined to the bench from the start Sunday would be my thinking of it.

• Advertisement

x43r0 wrote: »

He’s started the last 5 on the bounce, which only he and Fabinho have done out of the whole squad - and Fab because we have so few options there. So Salah might be due a rest before Spurs during the week (none of the other forwards have been starting even 3 in a row).

Still wouldn’t be surprised if he starts, but if he’s gonna be protected, now’s the time.

I'd say the plan is to start Salah and win the game before giving him 30 mins off.

This Jota knock news probably further stamps that.

Let's not forget that Salah is fairly machine like when it comes to playing 90 mins back to back to back regularly. His durability is amazing. He is getting more rests this season than any season before, albeit mainly in the CL.

Fitz* wrote: »
    I'd say the plan is to start Salah and win the game before giving him 30 mins off.

This Jota knock news probably further stamps that.

Let's not forget that Salah is fairly machine like when it comes to playing 90 mins back to back to back regularly. His durability is amazing.

It is, but we're definitely guilty of overplaying him in previous years, and you see his sharpness dim as a result for spells. He's back looking really sharp right now... wouldn't like us to push it when we actually have proper replacement options.

That doesn't necessarily apply for this weekend, but just generally speaking. We're playing every 3 to 4 days for months on end, no need to take risks.
    He is getting more rests this season than any season before, albeit mainly in the CL.

He's not though - the only CL game he didn't start was the home game against Midtjylland back in October. The only actual rest he's had was when he was ruled out for Covid. And even with that, he's still played the 2nd most minutes in the entire squad - only behind Robertson.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    It is, but we're definitely guilty of overplaying him in previous years, and you see his sharpness dim as a result for spells. He's back looking really sharp right now... wouldn't like us to push it when we actually have proper replacement options.

That doesn't necessarily apply for this weekend, but just generally speaking. We're playing every 3 to 4 days for months on end, no need to take risks.

He's not though - the only CL game he didn't start was the home game against Midtjylland back in October. The only actual rest he's had was when he was ruled out for Covid. And even with that, he's still played the 2nd most minutes in the entire squad - only behind Robertson.

He only played 60 mins against Ajax twice aswell. That's half of the group stage where he didn't play the full minutes. Last season he played the 90 mins in all the group stage games, in addition to 120 in the super cup. That is balanced off with 60 mins in the league cup this season.

I've just done a quick calculation on Salah's minutes this season compared to last season at the same point in time. It is club games only.

season start 8/19/2019
    CL gw 6 12/10/2019
    days: 114
    matches: 19
    minutes: 1765
    full 90: 14
    goals: 10
    assists: 5

season start 9/12/2020
    CL gw 6 12/9/2020
    days: 89
    matches: 17
    minutes: 1355
    full 90: 13
    goals: 12
    assists: 3

in short, Salah is playing games at a higher frequency but it is playing less minutes per game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Kiith wrote: »

I see what you're doing here :pac:

He only played 60 mins against Ajax twice aswell. That's half of the group stage where he didn't play the full minutes. Last season he played the 90 mins in all the group stage games, in addition to 120 in the super cup. That is balanced off with 60 mins in the league cup this season.

I've just done a quick calculation on Salah's minutes this season compared to last season at the same point in time. It is club games only.

season start 8/19/2019
    CL gw 6 12/10/2019
    days: 114
    matches: 19
    minutes: 1765
    full 90: 14
    goals: 10
    assists: 5

season start 9/12/2020
    CL gw 6 12/9/2020
    days: 89
    matches: 17
    minutes: 1355
    full 90: 13
    goals: 12
    assists: 3

in short, Salah is playing games at a higher frequency but it is playing less minutes per game.

Transfermarkt, has him on 1,446 minutes for Liverpool (perhaps including Charity shield i guess?), with only Robbo higher on 1,473.

But the point anyway is there's no need for him to be our second most played player. I think it goes under the radar - it's often commented that Robbo is being made to play too much, when he's only played 30 minutes more than Salah.

It's grand so far, but it feels like it's asking for trouble to keep going down this path - if not in terms of injury, then at least in terms of form. This season is going to be more punishing than any past season, so I really hope they don't push him too far and have him wrecked for the final months.

As you mention, it's the frequency that really counts. You can play as many minutes as you want if there's recovery time between them. This season has less recovery time than ever before.

• Advertisement

Transfermarkt, has him on 1,446 minutes for Liverpool (perhaps including Charity shield i guess?), with only Robbo higher on 1,473.

But the point anyway is there's no need for him to be our second most played player. I think it goes under the radar - it's often commented that Robbo is being made to play too much, when he's only played 30 minutes more than Salah.

It's grand so far, but it feels like it's asking for trouble to keep going down this path - if not in terms of injury, then at least in terms of form. This season is going to be more punishing than any past season, so I really hope they don't push him too far and have him wrecked for the final months.

As you mention, it's the frequency that really counts. You can play as many minutes as you want if there's recovery time between them. This season has less recovery time than ever before.

I never included the charity shield, as it was 2 weeks before the season started, and it's not really a competitive game.

Robbo has also played in two different international breaks, where he plays a lot of minutes also. I think he missed one game but played a full game with extra time in another. As far as I can remember, Salah & Egypt didn't play the first international break and the second one was his covid case. I think that is where a lot of the worry comes from in comparing Robbo to Salah. The same with Gini - always plays 90 for Holland. At least he got the league cup and last Wednesday off though to help.

Don't get me wrong, I do worry about Salah being overplayed too but the previous few seasons lead me to believe that he is happy to, and wants to, play as many minutes as possible. Even last season when he was carrying that ankle injury after the Choudhury tackle, he kept starting games before being subbed off again. He wanted to be on the pitch.

I'd be happy enough to see Salah get 60 mins against Fulham, 90 v Spurs and then 75 ish again against Palace before the week off. Those 8 days off will be a big break for the players at this stage. He might get the FA Cup game off too which is nicely timed in January. I know I'm guilty of looking too far into the future here and anything could go wrong but I'd guess the club are looking into too.

Klopo said the other night that Salah felt fine at the end of the game and could have kept playing. So we have to trust him there. Mane looked tired in previous games, and COVID could be a factor there, but to be honest I haven't seen Salah go down the same path.

Personally, I'd be more worried about Jota picking up an injury from overplaying as he is new to Klopp's intensity etc but Bobby, Salah & Mane are familiar with it now.

I never included the charity shield, as it was 2 weeks before the season started, and it's not really a competitive game.

Robbo has also played in two different international breaks, where he plays a lot of minutes also. I think he missed one game but played a full game with extra time in another. As far as I can remember, Salah & Egypt didn't play the first international break and the second one was his covid case. I think that is where a lot of the worry comes from in comparing Robbo to Salah. The same with Gini - always plays 90 for Holland. At least he got the league cup and last Wednesday off though to help.

Don't get me wrong, I do worry about Salah being overplayed too but the previous few seasons lead me to believe that he is happy to, and wants to, play as many minutes as possible. Even last season when he was carrying that ankle injury after the Choudhury tackle, he kept starting games before being subbed off again. He wanted to be on the pitch.

See, I'm seeing this as a bad thing rather than a good thing. Much like Kane, Salah wants to play every minute of every game, to his own detriment. Both players have unnecessary slumps where their form and sharpness clearly dip as a result. Previously, an out of form and clearly lacking sharpness Salah was still worth starting for us because it was still much better than any alternative we had. But that's not the case anymore, so i really hope we change our previous approach and rotate him sometimes for his own good, even if he doesn't want to be rested.
    I'd be happy enough to see Salah get 60 mins against Fulham, 90 v Spurs and then 75 ish again against Palace before the week off. Those 8 days off will be a big break for the players at this stage. He might get the FA Cup game off too which is nicely timed in January. I know I'm guilty of looking too far into the future here and anything could go wrong but I'd guess the club are looking into too.

Klopo said the other night that Salah felt fine at the end of the game and could have kept playing. So we have to trust him there. Mane looked tired in previous games, and COVID could be a factor there, but to be honest I haven't seen Salah go down the same path.

Personally, I'd be more worried about Jota picking up an injury from overplaying as he is new to Klopp's intensity etc but Bobby, Salah & Mane are familiar with it now.

Yeah, like I don't necessarily have a problem with him playing these games in the short term either - I'm more talking about the longer term plan for the season. I just hope we use the depth we now over the course of the season have so we have peak Salah for the run in, instead of tired Salah that runs his legs off, but has nothing left in the key moments when that sharpness really counts.

As an example, a less leggy Salah against Everton in March the season before last, and we win the league with the chances he had. He ran plenty, but when it came to finishing you could see that extra fatigue took the edge off him.

See, I'm seeing this as a bad thing rather than a good thing. Much like Kane, Salah wants to play every minute of every game, to his own detriment. Both players have unnecessary slumps where their form and sharpness clearly dip as a result. Previously, an out of form and clearly lacking sharpness Salah was still worth starting for us because it was still much better than any alternative we had. But that's not the case anymore, so i really hope we change our previous approach and rotate him sometimes for his own good, even if he doesn't want to be rested.

Yeah, like I don't necessarily have a problem with him playing these games in the short term either - I'm more talking about the longer term plan for the season. I just hope we use the depth we now over the course of the season have so we have peak Salah for the run in, instead of tired Salah that runs his legs off, but has nothing left in the key moments when that sharpness really counts.

As an example, a less leggy Salah against Everton in March the season before last, and we win the league with the chances he had. He ran plenty, but when it came to finishing you could see that extra fatigue took the edge off him.

Yep very much agree there, especially the last points. A fresher Salah will be a more clinical Salah. I do hope he gets rested the odd time.

We have seen him start on the bench before in league games, I think this Burnley and Stoke away that are the only two, in 2 different seasons and both times he came off the bench to score goals or create assists to influence the games.

We finally have the rotation option to make actual rotation possible. I hope Klopp does it use this option - he has benched Mane a good bit over the years - he was the player to miss out most of the time for the Coutinho-Mane-Salah-Firmino foursome and Firmino is being benched a bit lately too.

Maybe Klopp has a fear of telling Salah he is benched!

Yep very much agree there, especially the last points. A fresher Salah will be a more clinical Salah. I do hope he gets rested the odd time.

We have seen him start on the bench before in league games, I think this Burnley and Stoke away that are the only two, in 2 different seasons and both times he came off the bench to score goals or create assists to influence the games.

We finally have the rotation option to make actual rotation possible. I hope Klopp does it use this option - he has benched Mane a good bit over the years - he was the player to miss out most of the time for the Coutinho-Mane-Salah-Firmino foursome and Firmino is being benched a bit lately too.

Maybe Klopp has a fear of telling Salah he is benched!

Will be interesting to keep an eye on... I wonder if it's even a 'spells' thing, where one of them is the main man for a spell at a time. Salah starts every game for a month or 2, then Mane, then Jota, then Bobby, with the other 2 positions rotated between 3? Something like that might make sense for player continuity so you always have a player in a groove, before being eased back a little to get some rest as someone else steps into the key role.

Will be interesting to keep an eye on... I wonder if it's even a 'spells' thing, where one of them is the main man for a spell at a time. Salah starts every game for a month or 2, then Mane, then Jota, then Bobby, with the other 2 positions rotated between 3? Something like that might make sense for player continuity so you always have a player in a groove, before being eased back a little to get some rest as someone else steps into the key role.

An interesting thought alright - one which could work too in theory. Play a forward into form and get the most out of it, all while testing others. We may even have seen this being used already with Jota having his spell as a starter and scoring goals.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement