Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2020/2021

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61,012 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I'd drop Fab, Ali & Thiago for the FA Cup game and make the rest of them play in to for being so sh1t in this one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Salah is Shaw's pocket all game so predictable.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

That free at the end was shocking.

Just swing the ****ing ball into the box. So annoying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,328 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Something just not right at the moment. All the front three are seriously off colour. Trent has been diabolical all season. That's 4 of our 5 main attacking threats not playing well. Fabinho and Hendo stuck in central defence.

When you have the 2 best midfielders playing in defence it is going to have a knock on effect

• Administrators Posts: 54,184 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

When you have the 2 best midfielders playing in defence it is going to have a knock on effect

We created chances!

Our centre forward fluffed three of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,984 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

That free at the end was shocking.

Just swing the ****ing ball into the box. So annoying.

They did swing it in, just from an angle that United weren't set up to defend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,200 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Pretty disappointing... main thing this game shows is that neither team are likely champions. Have to think if City just keep their **** together to any extent, it’s theirs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,349 ✭✭✭Ardent

MD1990 wrote: »

If we are to be honest with ourselves, he has been a liability recently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Whatever about the title the club need CL football and that's far from guaranteed. Why the club are fannying around without buying a CB I have no idea. I mean it's clear Klopp has no confidence in either Williams or Phillips.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,810 ✭✭✭Enzokk

Guys, we have no aerial threat at all. That is why we don't swing in the ball into the box. I would say other than the one chance for Fernandes, the Pogba chance came from a deflection into his path, they offered nothing. We weren't much better mind, but they sat back and tried to nullify us. Hence their attack was blunt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,149 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Bobby was brutal. I love him but he was shocking today. As for TAA, what the **** is the story there?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

Knex* wrote: »
    Trent a bit scummy there with the follow through.

No idea if it's covid affecting his play or the injury he picked up at start of season, but he's been awful for ages now.

The fact he's nailed on to start every week isn't the kick up the arse he needs anyway. Neco Williams along with most of the sub's seem to be window dressing rubbish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

monkey9 wrote: »
    Very similar to the West Brom game. Like West Brom, Man U were happy to sit back in the first half and keep it at nil nil or even one nil down wouldn't be so bad. They came out a lot more attacking in the second half.

From our point of view, the defence was very good and didn't give the ref the chance to award Man U their usual penalty. The attack is definitely a worry now, they're certainly off their game. Jota is a big miss at the moment.

Agree with this.

A mostly good performance given the resources available, defensive solid and midfield dominant albeit against a passive opponent.

Attack continues to be an issue as many have said, just need a goal or 2 to get a level of confidence and prevent second guessing ourselves, not playing off instinct anymore, Bobby in particular. They look heavy legged, which is probably a consequence of so many games. Need some 'sport scientist' to come on and give them a shot or 2 of something ;)

Whatever about the title the club need CL football and that's far from guaranteed. Why the club are fannying around without buying a CB I have no idea. I mean it's clear Klopp has no confidence in either Williams or Phillips.

Who is available and how much will they cost with 2 weeks to go in the transfer window?

Trent wasn't great but he was nothing like his last game, half the best chances in the game came from him swinging out to Robertson.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,559 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

United are absolute pish, and still could have won 1/2-0.
    Far more worried about the attack rather than defence...at least 1 or maybe 2 of the front 3 need to be benched for the next match

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Ken Tucky

Can't do a league campaign without recognized CD's. Two of our best MF in CB.
    United happy with the draw, if they had more ambition they could have won that.
    City will walk this league

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭Plasandrunt

Would almost prefer Origi to Firmino at this stage. it's like playing with 9 men with Firmino and Trent at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,257 ✭✭✭Augme

We are in a fight to see stay in the top four at this rate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,349 ✭✭✭Ardent

I think the title is gone this year lads. Will be very hard to turn around this slump.

• Advertisement

The defence wasn't the problem.

Unlike in recent weeks the lack of Fabinho and Henderson in midfield wasn't a problem either, our midfielders played well.

The forwards aren't offering enough right now.

Fabinho could legitimately make team of the season at CB. He's been fantastic. What a loss from midfield though.

Enzokk wrote: »
    Guys, we have no aerial threat at all. That is why we don't swing in the ball into the box. I would say other than the one chance for Fernandes, the Pogba chance came from a deflection into his path, they offered nothing. We weren't much better mind, but they sat back and tried to nullify us. Hence their attack was blunt.

Firmino and Mane are well able to get on the end of a set piece. I wouldn't mind if the overly clever stuff actually worked from time to time but it never does.

I'm sure someone will be along with Trent against Barcelona shortly but that kind of proves the point.

Don't worry lads. We might not compete with City this season but we are smarter financially. The new Liverpool way.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,342 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Trent, Salsh, Bobby, Mané - highlights? Not many at all. Not good enough. Too many of our start are not at the races.

Keeper, Hendo, Fab in particular were very good. Thiago did what our front players si play cant do for a few weeks now, actually shoot at goal properly!

Unbeaten at Anfield run continues. Can't see any reason why we wont finish above Utd, especially as they cant beat any top 6 team and Matip and Jota back in a few weeks.

I would love to know what Minamino's thoughts are having to sit on the bench watching that absolute rubbish and not being given a go. Especially when Milner is coming on ahead of you in a game that really needed to be won.

We can forget about a league this year. It's not happening.

MD1990 wrote: »

They need to go a week or two in training where Salah is not allowed to use his left foot.

All Luke Shaw had to do today was show him onto his right and wait for the inevitable cut back. Every single time.

Blanco100 wrote: »
    Don't worry lads. We might not compete with City this season but we are smarter financially. The new Liverpool way.

...Are you mad that we're not spending as much money as an unprecedentedly rich team that's bankrolled by an entire nation?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Pepp1989

Mane Bobby and salah suddenly can't beat a man. So any standard defensive set up is easily containing them.

I don't know enough about it but something is wrong.

Is it midfield not feeding or creating space with movement?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,328 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Don't really care if United win the cup game next week being honest

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Pepp1989

If we see hendo at cb v Burnley instead of Phillips then we are in big trouble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

Imagine if Fab had played /been coached to play as a CH from 10 years of age, he would be an automatic pick on the world team of the year, absolute animal

Something seriously missing with Mane this season he just doesn't seem to have any energy at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭mightyreds

...Are you mad that we're not spending as much money as an unprecedentedly rich team that's bankrolled by an entire nation?

I'd say more likely mad we won't spend when we have two midfielders in centre back for the rest of the season

Something just not right at the moment. All the front three are seriously off colour. Trent has been diabolical all season. That's 4 of our 5 main attacking threats not playing well. Fabinho and Hendo stuck in central defence.
    Ardent wrote: »
    Well that was complete ****. Liverpool have big problems.

After 18 games we are 2pts off 2ppg.

We are back to where we were before VVD & Allison signed for us, a very simplistic view but VVD is key to us playing well. We have a seemingly able deputy for Alison now. At CB we are patched up and midfield has been decimated to cover CB.

If we had ish actual CB cover we'd be a tad better but midfield can't cover the front 3 being largely woeful.

In 2017/2018 we finished in 75 pts.... We're back to that top4 ish level now.

• Advertisement

Blanco100 wrote: »

Also if City win their 2 games in hand we're 4 points behind them at the halfway point, how is that not competing with them?

Something seriously missing with Mane this season he just doesn't seem to have any energy at all.

I thought Mane was the better of the 3. Mo wasn't even willing to try and take a man on. Brutal.

mightyreds wrote: »
    I'd say more likely mad we won't spend when we have two midfielders in centre back for the rest of the season

I will ask again, who is available and how much will they cost. I mean just saying we need to sign a CB is easy. If you don't have work just get a job. If you don't have a house, just save money. But for the live of me I have not seen one good link to a CB that will be able to fit in immediately into our team and the Premier League and that is actually available to be bought.

The highline is gone since VVD injury and then in turn the attack is starting deeper and giving teams a chance to dig in at the back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,407 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

One thing i was happy to see was far less hoofing the ball upfield, problem is our front 3 cant string a pass together lately

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,428 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Disappointing but not disastrous.

If we had Jota playing today, I think we win easily.

Weird season for a number of reasons and still all to play for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,374 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

The highline is gone since VVD injury and then in turn the attack is starting deeper and giving teams a chance to dig in at the back.

It really is this simple. No other analysis is really necessary.

Weird season for a number of reasons and still all to play for.

I think this is the important part, at the absolute worst if everyone towards the top wins all their games in hand we're 4 points off 1st with 20 games remaining, far far FAR from an unrecoverable position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭mightyreds

Enzokk wrote: »
    I will ask again, who is available and how much will they cost. I mean just saying we need to sign a CB is easy. If you don't have work just get a job. If you don't have a house, just save money. But for the live of me I have not seen one good link to a CB that will be able to fit in immediately into our team and the Premier League and that is actually available to be bought.

I probably wouldn't be one to answer that as I don't watch much soccer outside of liverpool, but if he can't see he's in big trouble playing our midfielders in defence he needs a better prescription on his glasses. Thing is he has a house but the back door is busted if that was any sane person they'd be getting it fixed before your robbed.

The defence wasn't the problem.

Unlike in recent weeks the lack of Fabinho and Henderson in midfield wasn't a problem either, our midfielders played well.

The forwards aren't offering enough right now.

The full backs are being marshalled by opponents. It was them who provided overlap stretching opposition allowing space for front 3.

Salah, Mane and Bobby are operating so much more narrowly and they are not as effective in tight spaces.

Concede ground out wide and pack the middle ground with bodies and we don't have the personnel in our squad to make the breakthrough unfortunately.

Have to say though, 2 CMs at CB is taking the absolute piss. Not signing anyone is penny pinching plain and simple. Fabinho and Hendo in midfield does improve us going forward as well don't forget.

I'd understand us holding off on a signing if we had planned on signing Upmecano or some at CB for big money and it's just not possible for Jan. The mouthpieces they use in the media (Reddy and Pearce and the like) always flirt about this being the reasoning.

But you just know when Gomez and VVD are back we will be reading fluff articles during the summer about how they are like new signings. And we will buy an 19 year old 4th choice from Anderlecht or something.

5 hours and 40 odd minutes without a goal in the Premier League.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,574 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

With our shooting boots on we're one or two up before Pogbas chance. Need to start scoring .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

I said it in here about 10 months ago that I thought Bobby could be upgraded on and he needed to score a lot more goals playing 9 for this team. Pretty much all the responses were that that wasn’t his game and his game was all about movement and pressing. That may be but chances fall to him and he is in and around the box when balls are there and his goal scoring is pretty poor imo for someone playing 9 in a team that creates as many chances as we have in the last 3/4 years.

The Spurs winner and Palace game aside, he’s had a fairly poor few months imo. In our strongest 11, his position and the other CB spot could definitely be upgraded.

We saw it briefly when Jota arrived but I’d love to see Salah, Mane and Jota up front. 3 players who are genuine goal threats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,206 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Pepp1989 wrote: »
    If we see hendo at cb v Burnley instead of Phillips then we are in big trouble.

I thought Philips should've played today. Hendo in midfield is more important in terms of imposing our style of play, compared to worrying about the weak-link which is Philips.

We're champions and should've played like that today, but by playing Hendo at CB we played with fear instead. You don't win titles by taking the safe option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,316 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

fyfe79 wrote: »
    I thought Philips should've played today. Hendo in midfield is more important in terms of imposing our style of play, compared to worrying about the weak-link which is Philips.

We're champions and should've played like that today, but by playing Hendo at CB we played with fear instead. You don't win titles by taking the safe option.

Who are you benching, shaqiri I presume, he played well

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement