Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2020/2021

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Need to win now on Thursday night V Burnley

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

fyfe79 wrote: »
    I thought Philips should've played today. Hendo in midfield is more important in terms of imposing our style of play, compared to worrying about the weak-link which is Philips.

We're champions and should've played like that today, but by playing Hendo at CB we played with fear instead. You don't win titles by taking the safe option.

Could see Phillips play against Burnley. They don't have much pace up front so a lot of it will be winning headers which Phillips can do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,932 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

In general yeah I believe having Henderson and Fabinho (or at least one of them) in midfield helps a lot, but today the midfield 3 played their roles perfectly, when's the last time you heard so little of Bruno Fernandes for 90 minutes? Shaqiri and Thiago got it forward plenty too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Could see Phillips play against Burnley. They don't have much pace up front so a lot of it will be winning headers which Phillips can do.

Matip is back in full training Monday.

So he should play

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,463 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Ole talking about how far they've come LOL We're dropped down 5 levels to theirs, they haven't climbed up 5 levels to ours.

In 5 games time Man City come to Anfield, who knows how the table will look by then but that game could be massively deciding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,329 ✭✭✭Ardent

Philips against Man U's pacey counter-attacking forwards would have been suicide.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Ikozma

Pathetic, lacklustre performance yet again, all the ball, no chances created, and our keeper keeps us in it, our front 3 needs changing they are no longer effective as a front 3,id cash in on Bobby and mó as much as I like them it's just not working anymore

Ikozma wrote: »
    Pathetic, lacklustre performance yet again, all the ball, no chances created, and our keeper keeps us in it, our front 3 needs changing they are no longer effective as a front 3,id cash in on Bobby and mó as much as I like them it's just not working anymore

E6m81H9.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Ikozma

We've had 10 shots on target in the last 4 games

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,277 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Lads are playing fine as cbs but without them in midfield we are very weak there defensively so don’t win the ball back high up the pitch, I think that’s a big part of the issue with our forward play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,463 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Suarez banging them in , so much so Costa gets his contract terminated. Would love Suarez leading the line today .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Disappointing but not disastrous.

If we had Jota playing today, I think we win easily.

Weird season for a number of reasons and still all to play for.

Haven’t scored in 350 minutes in the league it’s currently a horror show

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Who are you benching, shaqiri I presume, he played well

Yeah Shaq, who I like, and did play well but is more of an impact sub, imo. Presuming Fab is at CB, then Hendo/Gini/Thiago is our best midfield.

Ikozma wrote: »
    We've had 10 shots on target in the last 4 games

And that's a large enough sample size to determine that a lad with 111 goals in 177 games, a lad who is currently the top scorer in the Premier League, is no longer good enough and should be sold?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭Calvin

Cyrus wrote: »
    Lads are playing fine as cbs but without them in midfield we are very weak there defensively so don’t win the ball back high up the pitch, I think that’s a big part of the issue with our forward play.

Full backs don’t have the license to roam forward as much as they’d like too with no cover in midfield or the pace of VVD/Gomez to cover at the back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,679 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

The biggest issue with our forward play is that no one shoots first time anymore

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Whens Jota back? Walks into the team at this point. Far too passive lately, too much flicks and tricks from Firmino, sometimes you just want him to smash the ball. Still no solution to teams sitting back, it feels like I've watched the same game for the last month on repeat. Frustrating at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭Akabusi

Things will click again but I think this season was done when we last both VVD and Gomez. If Matip and Naby can stay fit for more than two games in a row and our regular guys who don't normally succumb to injuries stay fit we'll push City really hard, Utd are not going to be far off either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

Them with their absolute best team couldn't beat us at our lowest ebb. At least we have that! Long way to go but City will most probably be well ahead of us by the time we play them.

There's a strong case for dropping at least two of the front three imo. Give Minamino a run of games, hell even give Divock a few until Jota is back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

In 5 games time Man City come to Anfield, who knows how the table will look by then but that game could be massively deciding.

If we dont get out of this rut quick then City could beat us, while they are not scoring loads they are keeping clean sheets. Id also fear the CL games v Leipzig if we are still in this kind of form. After the Palace game Salah was on course to beat his own PL scoring record, now he cant even get a shot away dont mind on target.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,924 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

1 goal from 62 shots in the last 4 games is a wow.

https://twitter.com/OptaJoe/status/1350876373204819971?s=20

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,924 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Thiago as well as running the game for Liverpool kept Bruno in his pocket for the whole game.

Ardent wrote: »
    Philips against Man U's pacey counter-attacking forwards would have been suicide.

It would've been a worry, yes, but Hendo ain't much quicker than Philips in truth. I just think you have to play with a little risk in order to get your rewards.

I still remember the 0-0 at Goodison two years ago - Klopp played very conservatively and was happy not to lose the game, when ultimately it cost us the title as we lost the league by a point.

First time since 2005 that Liverpool have gone 3 league games without a goal.

Ardent wrote: »

It would've been a worry, yes, but Hendo ain't much quicker than Philips in truth (and, in fairness, Hendo had little to do today). I just think you have to play with a little risk in order to get your rewards.

I still remember the 0-0 at Goodison two years ago - Klopp played very conservatively and was happy not to lose the game, when ultimately it cost us the title as we lost the league by a point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭mosstin

It would've been a worry, yes, but Hendo ain't much quicker than Philips in truth (and, in fairness, Hendo had little to do today). I just think you have to play with a little risk in order to get your rewards.

:confused: Hendo is WAY quicker than Phillips. That and the fact that he can pass out of CB is the reason he played there today.

Yeah, which is to my point earlier; Philips could've done what Hendo needed to do today - a very basic CB performance. Hendo was needed more in midfield. The front 3 are all misfiring though, which is the biggest worry.

mosstin wrote: »
    :confused: Hendo is WAY quicker than Phillips. That and the fact that he can pass out of CB is the reason he played there today.

He might be quicker than him, but I don't think he's way quicker, imo. Look, Jordan was perfectly fine at CB today, but he would've been more effective in midfield and I think the advantages of playing him there outweigh the risk of playing Philips at CB. Just my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭The Jman

Solskjaer is just big Sam with talented players, getting a win against them was always gonna be tough for ye. Lacking a bit of creativity but overall a solid performance from Liverpool.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

This does have some similarities to two seasons ago when we were failing to win games and dropping points, trying to convince ourselves that we'd make it up later in the season with the old "there's a long way to go" thing.

City win their 2 in hand and they're 4 clear, so we'd need a flawless season and for them to fail to win twice.

Meanwhile, we're a team without a centre back that can't score goals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

The Jman wrote: »
    Solskjaer is just big Sam with talented players, getting a win against them was always gonna be tough for ye. Lacking a bit of creativity but overall a solid performance from Liverpool.

Sorry but that's hilarious. We had the best chances, on that basis you should be worrying about Klopp if be can't beat big Sam.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

We're definitely missing Hendo and Fab in midfield. But I think the biggest thing we're missing is Bobby form. He's just not near his best. Whenever we have been very good, he's been the heartbeat....whether nicking balls off opposition in a high press, or picking teams apart with passes and movement. We're missing him at his best, more often at the moment he's been meh.

awec wrote: »
    This does have some similarities to two seasons ago when we were failing to win games and dropping points, trying to convince ourselves that we'd make it up later in the season with the old "there's a long way to go" thing.

City win their 2 in hand and they're 4 clear, so we'd need a flawless season and for them to fail to win twice.

City have failed to win 7 of their 16 games so far this season, no teams are even close to the levels Liverpool and City reached in recent years. this title won't be decided until the final month at the earliest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Now I'm getting pissed off.

1. Why was Jota played in a meaningless match in Denmark.

2. How was Origi only brought on so late for Mr. Invisible.

Yeah, ultimately this is it. Considering it's City, we have to start taking risks. I feel we played it safe with Hendo at CB today and got our point. Grand. But it really does feel like that point at Goodison when it may as well have been a defeat for all the good it was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Front 3 are not clicking so do something about it. Firmino could not have any complaints if he was subbed today at halftime. Not one.

Give Minamino a fecking chance, he can't be any worse than Firmino was first half. We were pretty much parked in their half for most of the game anyway, not like we were overly relying on his workrate.

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

City have failed to win 7 of their 16 games so far this season, no teams are even close to the levels Liverpool and City reached in recent years. this title won't be decided until the final month at the earliest.

Best form of any team in the league right now.

ebbsy wrote: »
    Now I'm getting pissed off.

1. Why was Jota played in a meaningless match in Denmark.

2. How was Origi only brought on so late for Mr. Invisible.

Strangest thing is why Taki hasn't been seen since the Palace game. Should've been on for Bobby after 60 mins, but instead Divock comes on who has shown nada in all his appearances this season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭Pepp1989

Origi over taki is fairly shocking indictment. Is the writing on the wall for Taki?

Also was Bobby always that bad at striking the ball.

Strangest thing is why Taki hasn't been seen since the Palace game. Should've been on for Bobby after 60 mins, but instead Divock comes on who has shown nada in all his appearances this season.

Thats a great point.

Front 3 are not clicking so do something about it. Firmino could not have any complaints if he was subbed today at halftime. Not one.

Give Minamino a fecking chance, he can't be any worse than Firmino was first half. We were pretty much parked in their half for most of the game anyway, not like we were overly relying on his workrate.

Firmino misplaced about 3 simple passes within the first 15 mins... really set the tone for his performance. He's either 'on it' for totally woeful. Taki must be really struggling in training if he can't get a game.

Pepp1989 wrote: »
    Origi over taki is fairly shocking indictment. Is the writing on the wall for Taki?

Also was Bobby always that bad at striking the ball.

Hes too busy with his sunglasses range.

This is the first time that I can remember where all the front three are not playing well at the same time. Usually if one of them was in a slump the other two would still be performing.

City aren't better than 2ppg thus season either. You could be well off flawless to haul them back from 4 pts ahead to be fair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Augeo wrote: »
    City aren't better than 2ppg thus season either. You could be well off flawless to haul them back from 4 pts ahead to be fair.

Man City are on 2ppg before tonight's game

Man City are on 2ppg before tonight's game

Yeah & I said they weren't better than that :)
    They win tonight and they go just better.... Like they aren't anywhere near flawless and are unlikely so return to last seasons form for the rest of the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

It's City's to lose now, they had a poor start to the season, but have got their act together lately, not conceding many goals and starting to score again. I think they'll have a strong finish to the season and won't drop that many points.
    I know it's early in the season, but, we've dropped too many points against teams we should be beating easily, our form is terrible and at this rate we'll struggle to make the top 4. We're even struggling to get shots on target, In the Palace game we had 8 shots on target and scored 7, we've hardly had 8 shots on target in all the games since. We can't continue with both Fabinho and Henderson at CB, we can just about get away with Fabinho at CB, but, not Henderson too, it takes too much away from the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

He started against Villa's kids and really wasn't great. Shaq came on for him on the hour mark and was significantly more effective.

I can see the merit in 10 minutes for Divock - a bigger physical presence. He's less likely to change the style and flow of a game than Minamino, but much more likely to do something in a moment, which is what you want more of in the closing stages.

Div Vs Taki isn't ever really a choice between players, it's a choice between styles. Taki Vs Shaq is more of a choice between players. Was a bit surprised we opted to change styles by bringing on Milner for Shaq, instead of just changing players by bringing Taki on instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

We absolutely have to buy a centre back and get fabinho and henderson back into midfield. We are in serious danger of been dragged into a top 4 fight, it's incredibly tight up there.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement