Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2020/2021

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭1o059k7ewrqj3n

Retaining the title this year:

tenor.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,919 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

When VVD was fit and played the team set up with a super highline & press with VVD and Matip/Gomez playing at the center circle both Robbo and TAA played in the opposition half.

Right now we defend deep in our own half and how often do you see the fullback play in the opposition half now, both TAA & Robbo spend more time in their own half defending since VVD was injured.

The reason we could play the super highline & press was because Fab was there to protect that highline and now Fab is back in CB and the highline is no more.

What we are missing now is that highline and the press in the opposition half.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭radiata

Ole talking about how far they've come LOL We're dropped down 5 levels to theirs, they haven't climbed up 5 levels to ours.

I'd still prefer to be in there position over Liverpools

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,463 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Jose has had more points with United after 18 games (41) and he was sacked, yet Ole brags about how far they've come. Anyone with a brain can see the MASSIVE drop back for Liverpool, not a massive step forward for United, Leicester, City, Spurs, Everton.
    This is all down to Liverpool and our injuries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Sh1t comeback game for me.

The defence is fine and has been throughout this slump. Everything that's wrong is in the opposition half.

TAA's attack has fallen off a cliff, remember when he would and did cut inside and float a brilliant ball into Mane's path? He isn't even able to get past his nominal marker with genuine threat these days.

Thiago/Shaq did well in the circumstances but both were running out of puff understandably as the game opened up a bit.

The front three are a real conundrum, they are too flat and high up in attack - end up just adding another body in a crowded zone as oppositions defend both deep and narrow, someone has to stay deeper/wider to make a run - Thiago showed from No 6 position a glimpse of an alternative approach. The way Lampard once did that was hugely effective. The other thing that's lacking is simply control in or near the area, balls bouncing off shins all too often.

radiata wrote: »
    I'd still prefer to be in there position over Liverpools

I wouldn't. Jota will be back soon, as will VVD, Fab in midfield.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CKJN4f_A1Ij/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,738 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Vvd won't be back this season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Zero chance VVD has any meaningful impact on this season, and its most likely (and preferable) that he won't be back at all.

That's just not how cruciates work. No matter how good he feels, one wrong twist and it's another 9 months out.

Recovering in Saudi a nice place to get away from the pandemic as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

When VVD was fit and played the team set up with a super highline & press with VVD and Matip/Gomez playing at the center circle both Robbo and TAA played in the opposition half.

Right now we defend deep in our own half and how often do you see the fullback play in the opposition half now, both TAA & Robbo spend more time in their own half defending since VVD was injured.

The reason we could play the super highline & press was because Fab was there to protect that highline and now Fab is back in CB and the highline is no more.

What we are missing now is that highline and the press in the opposition half.

All correct but what can Klopp do to change it up? Only thing I can think of is reverting to the heavy metal style we played before VVD joined. Problem with that though it two fold, the front 3 are not on it plus it means running them into the ground. Its remarkable how none of them have suffered a long term injury.

The only other option is to trust one of the kids at CB alongside Fab in order to get Hendo back into midfield. But thats only fixing some of the problem when Fab is still at CB.

Hate to say it but we are very short on options to stop this rut. The front 3 looked like they had the weight of the world on their shoulders today, they are completely devoid of confidence right now. Jota cant come back soon enough but its a tall ask for him to turn things around on his own.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Zero chance VVD has any meaningful impact on this season, and its most likely (and preferable) that he won't be back at all.

That's just not how cruciates work. No matter how good he feels, one wrong twist and it's another 9 months out.

Yep. Even in that little video, he would've been instructed by the physio to move in a straight line and not dart to the left or right. A cruciate is a terrible injury - the victim feels fine after a few weeks but needs to be totally guided on what they can and cannot do, and need to be very strong-willed to follow professional advice to overcome it. At this stage, I'd be happy NOT to see VVD this season... I want him 100% for the new season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,932 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

What if we tried doing away with the notion of a Front 3 for a couple games? Back when we still had Coutinho we often played a 442 with himself and Mane out wide, Bobby and Salah up top, we could give something like that a go. Might be a good solution to Trent's attacking woes too, to have someone playing a more traditional wide midfielder role in front of him.
    Alisson
    TAA-Fab-Henderson-Robertson
    Ox-Wijnaldum-Thiago-Mane
    Salah-Firmino

Alternatively Mane up front alongside Salah, Bobby on the bench, and Minamino on the left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Just your weekly reminder that Fabinho isn't a CB.

That is all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,679 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Unless the season is deferred again, but that's unlikely now.
    Plus, I'd hate to see him back and then get injured again at the euros.

The main objective/miracle the team need is for Matip and Keita to stay fit for a prolonged period of time as when they play the team plays at a different level.

What if we tried doing away with the notion of a Front 3 for a couple games? Back when we still had Coutinho we often played a 442 with himself and Mane out wide, Bobby and Salah up top, we could give something like that a go. Might be a good solution to Trent's attacking woes too, to have someone playing a more traditional wide midfielder role in front of him.
    Alisson
    TAA-Fab-Henderson-Robertson
    Ox-Wijnaldum-Thiago-Mane
    Salah-Firmino

Alternatively Mane up front alongside Salah, Bobby on the bench, and Minamino on the left.

It's not ever going to happen but when Jota is back

TAA---Matip--Fabby--Robbo
    Thiago
    Hendo
    Gini
    Shaqiri
    Mane
    Jota

Kelleher, N Williams, Tsimikas, Jones, Ox, Minamino, Firmino, Salah and maybe Naby (or probably Milner)!

The main objective/miracle the team need is for Matip and Keita to stay fit for a prolonged period of time as when they play the team plays at a different level.

My main objective is to win the lotto.

Which is more likely to happen? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭Shanee.

I dont care what any Liverpool fan says, we need a CB (or two) its very simple to see. Front 3 not in form is an issue but for the last 2 years our defence has been our first point of attack VVD / Gomez spraying balls to TAA/Robbo who would be playing way further up. We need Fab & Hendo back into the middle alongside Thiago. TAA out of form but he doesnt have VVD or a commanding CB alongside him allowing him to press further up. I have been saying it for weeks and will continue to say it we need to sign a CB in the next 2 weeks or we will be looking at similar performances for the rest of the season. You just simply cannot win a league with two of your best midfielders playing as makeshift CB's.

On todays game, I'll happily take a draw as beforehand I was sure Matip would play after seeing him train yesterday, so when team news came out I was not at all confident. Henderson is such a vital cog in our midfield that was missed him massively - he did a great job at CB today dont get me wrong but he provides way more in terms of creativity then Gini. All in all an okay point, but we really need to get things back on track if we are to have any hope of retaining the title this season. Sooner Jota is back the better, Bobby looks completely out of sorts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Just need Jota back he will spice up the front 3

Be fantastic is Matip amd Keita could stay fit

• Advertisement

If we don't sign a centrehalf then I think we struggle for top 4

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭koppy

It's not ever going to happen but when Jota is back

TAA---Matip--Fabby--Robbo
    Thiago
    Hendo
    Gini
    Shaqiri
    Mane
    Jota

Kelleher, N Williams, Tsimikas, Jones, Ox, Minamino, Firmino, Salah and maybe Naby (or probably Milner)!

Shaq best is not good enough. Not consistent enough. Couple of 5 minute spells here and there . No where near good enough.

It's pretty obvious... sign CB's (at least one) or we're throwing away this title. It's madness to play our best two midfielders at CB.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

IF we are to sign a CB then what is the 11? People looking for Hendo and Fab back in midfield would push Gini or Thiago to the bench? And by the time we get a CB in Jota will hopefully be back..

Ali
    TAA NewCB Matip Robbo
    Hendo Fab
    Thiago
    Salah Jota Mane

For me the balance in a Fabinho, Hendo and Thiago isn’t right. All occupy the 6 role. I suppose that will be a nice concern to eventually have though.

What happens if henderson or Fab pick up an injury? which is quite possible

• Registered Users Posts: 5,264 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

What happens if henderson or Fab pick up an injury? which is quite possible

Milner will be there at some point I'm sure.

• Advertisement

True and maybe Gini

True and maybe Gini

No danger of an actual CB being available anyway!

Vvd won't be back this season

I think he will, with 10-7 games left.

IF we are to sign a CB then what is the 11? People looking for Hendo and Fab back in midfield would push Gini or Thiago to the bench? And by the time we get a CB in Jota will hopefully be back..

Ali
    TAA NewCB Matip Robbo
    Hendo Fab
    Thiago
    Salah Jota Mane

For me the balance in a Fabinho, Hendo and Thiago isn’t right. All occupy the 6 role. I suppose that will be a nice concern to eventually have though.

This team is spot on, imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

7 months is the absolute minimum. That be mid May with only 2 or 3 league games left.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,932 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Even if we sign someone I think Fabinho plays out the rest of the season as a CB, Matip can't be relied upon to stay fit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

This is the first time that I can remember where all the front three are not playing well at the same time. Usually if one of them was in a slump the other two would still be performing.

Apart from a very short good spell last month Firmino has been off form for well over a year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

After recovering from 2 ACL injuries myself I can tell you there is not a chance VVD gets back with 10 games to go!! Best scenario is a moral boasting cameo on the bench in late April/early May!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

People might think it mad bit its going to be a a real struggle for the top four this season December and January has been an absolute nightmare for us result wose

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Real shortsightedness from the club not to have a CB in the door on January 1st, we're paying the price for that now and until we get one in we'll continue to struggle when Matip is not available, getting another CB in would also free up Fabinho for midfield when Matip is available.
    It won't solve all our problems, but, it'll go along way to sorting things, I think at this stage we can forget about the league as City look like they're back close to their best again and on our current form we have little chance of overhauling them.
    As for anyone who thinks VVD will be back for the last 10 games, dream on, at best he might be in the squad for last game or two, but, I hope we don't see him play again this season as I'd prefer to have him right for next season.

People might think it mad bit its going to be a a real struggle for the top four this season December and January has been an absolute nightmare for us result wose

I've a certain amount of faith that things will pick up... we've had these runs of poor form over the past few seasons. This has been worse, but they always dig their way out of them sooner or later.

So I'm not terribly worried about top 4, but think it'll cost us the league alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭mightyreds

I don't think Chelsea will be in with a shout and leicester will fall off leaving it city atop with any combination of us, united and spurs underneath. Sickening thing is it'll probably be in around 80 points winning it and we'll probably end up or 72 or something after dropping 9 points this last month.

The next run of games is particularly tricky plus Leipzig X2. It'll probably decide teams fate this season.

I've a certain amount of faith that things will pick up... we've had these runs of poor form over the past few seasons. This has been worse, but they always dig their way out of them sooner or later.

So I'm not terribly worried about top 4, but think it'll cost us the league alright.

We have a different run of fixtures until the Everton game towards end of February, on our current form we'll struggle to pick up many wins or points in those games, so we could be in a real dogfight for top 4 by then, I think City will have be well out of sight by then.

3 draws 1 lose since the 0-7 win at Palace and that was also the last game with fans.

Seven 1 - 0 wins are better than One 7 - 0 win Klopp was right with that statement after the Palace game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

Girly Gal wrote: »
    Real shortsightedness from the club not to have a CB in the door on January 1st, we're paying the price for that now and until we get one in we'll continue to struggle when Matip is not available, getting another CB in would also free up Fabinho for midfield when Matip is available.
    It won't solve all our problems, but, it'll go along way to sorting things, I think at this stage we can forget about the league as City look like they're back close to their best again and on our current form we have little chance of overhauling them.
    As for anyone who thinks VVD will be back for the last 10 games, dream on, at best he might be in the squad for last game or two, but, I hope we don't see him play again this season as I'd prefer to have him right for next season.

Would you be happy with the club spending 20/30m+ on a CB that they aren’t particularly sold on? I can only assume our first choice was one of the lads at Leipzig and that’s a no go as we play them in the CL. They could even be first and second choice. The club probably don’t want to fork out 20/30+ million on a CB that will be surplus to requirements in a few months and probably won’t make too much of a difference if he’s their 3/4th choice.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

We’re in a title race and also a top 4 race. That’s just how this season has gone unfortunately. Hoping we can put on a performance on Thursday at home to Burnley

Would you be happy with the club spending 20/30m+ on a CB that they aren’t particularly sold on? I can only assume our first choice was one of the lads at Leipzig and that’s a no go as we play them in the CL. They could even be first and second choice. The club probably don’t want to fork out 20/30+ million on a CB that will be surplus to requirements in a few months and probably won’t make too much of a difference if he’s their 3/4th choice.

What's very frustrating is not even moving for a stopgap loan option, which we know are available. In terms of that short term market, we don't need the best, we just need better than Nat and Rhys, which is a pretty low bar.

Plenty of teams have 4th choice lads on the bench not getting games, but earning wages. Like Sokratis at Arsenal - who offered him to us. Or Militao at Madrid. Or someone like Ranocchia at Inter, who is fit all season, on high enough wages, but not playing.

Can only hope they're working on something like this, but if the window closes and we've not even brought in a stopgap loan player I'll be hugely disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Ikozma

Suarez banging them in , so much so Costa gets his contract terminated. Would love Suarez leading the line today .

Far superior player then any of our front 3

The Mig wrote: »
    We’re in a title race and also a top 4 race. That’s just how this season has gone unfortunately. Hoping we can put on a performance on Thursday at home to Burnley

I wouldn't bank on it, how will we score when we don't shoot?

Don't need to spend 30/40 million on a CB right now, could bring in a solid defender on loan for the remainder of the season I'm sure there are plenty of CBs around Europe who are available who are better options than Williams, Philips and Henderson, for example players similar to Rudiger who was out of favour at Chelsea for most of the season, there are plenty more across Europe who would be better than what we currently have. We don't need to sign the next long term CB now, we just neet a solid CB who can get us through the remainder of the season.
    We can sign a permanent CB in the summer when they're available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

Thiago as well as running the game for Liverpool kept Bruno in his pocket for the whole game.

Bruno who ? lol it doesnt suit him to defend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

The Jman wrote: »
    Solskjaer is just big Sam with talented players, getting a win against them was always gonna be tough for ye. Lacking a bit of creativity but overall a solid performance from Liverpool.

I think you are correct chief... Bolton, stoke or any of those on steroids imo.. they were fierce cowardly today..

Tusky wrote: »
    Apart from a very short good spell last month Firmino has been off form for well over a year.

I'd go so far as to say 2 yrs, time for Bobby to either move to midfield where I actually think he'd be more suited, or say his goodbyes

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

Ikozma wrote: »
    I wouldn't bank on it, how will we score when we don't shoot?

Start shooting obviously

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement