Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2020/2021

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,444 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I see barnes is spouting rubbish again.

John Barnes:

“Thiago, who was running the game and was the best player in the first-half, I don’t think that necessarily helped the front three. Thiago slows the game down. When he slowed it down in tight areas, that is not Mane’s game, that is not Salah’s game

To me the front 3 have stopped making runs inside the fullbacks, maybe because they werent getting the ball hopefully thiago solves that issue of them not getting the ball

The team is dropped back a lot because we've lost VVD passing ability, Gomez speed and Matips ability to carry the ball into midfield.

My best guess is our back four has dropped back about 20 yards and both midfield and front three about 15 yards. It's going to be much harder to generate good chances when we start attacks much deeper.

We also don't push TAA and Robertson up at the same time now. If Robbo goes to the end line then TAA is sitting about 10 yards into the opponents half. People keep saying TAA has dropped off a cliff but to me he's actually just not getting an opportunity to get into as dangerous positions anymore and is passing the ball from a much deeper position. It would be interesting to see a heatmap showing his average position last season compared to this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,984 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Every time Thiago gets the ball he's looking to progress it, he constantly receives the ball facing his own goal and spins on his first touch to push it up the pitch, no other midfielder in the squad is doing anything like that. He also very rarely settles for the easy pass to one of the fullbacks, there have been plenty of examples already of him letting a defender press him only to walk the ball past them as if they're not even there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

MD1990 wrote: »
    i cannot understand questioning our front 3's desire tbh. They are all giving everything but there has been a gradual decline in Salah & Firmino for nearly 3 years now since 17/18. Mane not so much until the last few weeks.

We need a change in the summer. Not much money. So Salah out & another forward in.
    It wont be an Mbappe or Haaland. Someone like Neto or Wamangituka at Stuttgart.

The problem is that right now they should be smack bang enjoying their peak, it really is a strange one. Henderson said in his interview sometimes you just need a ricochet to go in and that will open the floodgates and I think he's correct.

They don't seem to be playing with confidence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 781 ✭✭✭davyboy1975

Tusky wrote: »
    I think Thiago speeds the game up. He passes it quicker than our other centre mids, and almost always forwards. On a number of occasions he successfully beat a man to try make something happen too.

Exactly therefore barnes is spouting rubbish

MD1990 wrote: »
    i cannot understand questioning our front 3's desire tbh. They are all giving everything but there has been a gradual decline in Salah & Firmino for nearly 3 years now since 17/18. Mane not so much until the last few weeks.............

Salah's not in decline, he's in a period of bad form.
    17 goals this season from 25 appearances........ he can't be judged on the 17/18 season IMO as that was a huge outlier.

Bobby also excelled in 17/18 but when Salah and Mane aren't scoring it looks like he's doing nothing of use as he's just not a striker really....... even last season 9 PL goals yet he played in all the games and we won the league and pre Covid you couldn't fault the overall system.

It's a huge sh1tter that none of the front 3 can score when they are off form as a unit. The likes of Ings would do better than any of them tbh in our current set-up. It's also a pity that Origi seems to be not an option. He must be brutal in training.

Was looking at this earlier and Naby features very well in interceptions and tackles stats. Shame about his injuries as he's an excellent player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,597 ✭✭✭brevity

TitianGerm wrote: »
    It would be interesting to see a heatmap showing his average position last season compared to this season.

This interested me too so i found this good site:

https://www.sofascore.com/player/trent-alexander-arnold/795064

On the right hand side you can change the heat map from this year to previous years.

Augeo wrote: »
    Salah's not in decline, he's in a period of bad form.
    17 goals this season from 25 appearances........ he can't be judged on the 17/18 season IMO as that was a huge outlier.

Yeah Salah hasn't scored in 4 games (literally nobody has scored in 3 of those) but he's still the Premier League's top scorer this season with 13 goals.

At this stage last season he had 9 goals, the year before he had 11, and even in his record breaking 17/18 season by the 18 game mark he only had one more goal than this season, at 14.

EDIT: And in fact he's missed a game this season so he's only on 17 appearances, meaning if he scores vs Burnley he would match his record-breaking form.

A huge part of Trent's game is whoever plays in front of him as the RCM, at his best that player is Henderson.

• Advertisement

brevity wrote: »

On the right hand side you can change the heat map from this year to previous years.

Not as many touches in the box or around the edge looking at that to me.

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Not as many touches in the box or around the edge looking at that to me.

I feel like pretty much any time Trent would receive the ball in the attacking third it was from a long crossfield pass from van Dijk, we've been missing those passes and so pretty much all of Trent's involvement has come from him receiving the ball way deeper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61,012 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

brevity wrote: »

Interesting reading for all the players.

Seeing Gini's season rating was a bit of a shock.

https://www.sofascore.com/team/football/liverpool/44

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,210 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Yeah Trent seems to be playing a lot deeper this season. It could be for a myriad of reasons.

Yesterday, a common sight was seeing Hendo (who started on the LCB which I thought was odd) Fabinho & Trent in a straight line at the back which looked like a back 3 at times. There was similar times against Southampton too. I'm not sure if this is a positional decision made pre game as the CBs are missing and Klopp doesn't want to have the fill in players exposed in the space behind them and Trent.

It also could be subconscious by Trent. He is not exactly the quickest, but by all means is not slow, so maybe he just wanted to give himself an extra few yards when up against pacy players like Martial/Rashford/Djenpo/Walcott. Robertson has always been a more 'get to the byline' type attacking full back and while Trent can do this, I find he is more adept at passing and crossing from the Beckham/KDB position of just on the right wing hanging back a bit in space. Think of his assists in the CWC semi final and against Chelsea for Firmino or for Origi on the opening day last season.

I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing than Trent is playing a small bit deeper, but I would be very concerned with how he is using the ball. His confidence is low after the poor form after covid & the injury. There was a cross yesterday he made while running onto a pass made to him. Usually he would hit it first time and be on the penalty spot but yesterday he took a touch first and wanted to set himself and the impetus was lost. AWB is susceptible at attacking crosses coming over his head and Liverpool did not look to exploit this properly. Shaqiri played on the right hand side and always want to cut inside rather than crossing to the back post.

I feel like pretty much any time Trent would receive the ball in the attacking third it was from a long crossfield pass from van Dijk, we've been missing those passes and so pretty much all of Trent's involvement has come from him receiving the ball way deeper.

It wasn't even just that though. Robbo and TAA often started the attacking phase about 10 yards inside our half. VVD and Matip/Gomez then pushed up to the halfway line and both TAA and Robbo moved into the opponents half, usually half way between the half way line and the box. When you're starting attacks (or winning back possession) that high then you can attack much faster. But TAA and Robbo then acted as extra men as an outball from midfield in the attacking phase whereas now it's only one of them so it's easier to see where the attack is going to come from.

Added to that at the moment we are deeper so the amount of ground to cover can't be done as quick and allows the opponents to get more men behind the ball.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

The thing is Fab and Hendo can pass a ball over 30/40 yards to the flanks but are choosing not doing so, is that their choice or Klopps? Is TAA not making the run or do they not trust him to use the ball?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,574 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

awec wrote: »
    This is delusional IMO.

City likely to be on an 8 game winning run by the time they come to Anfield.

They only have 35 pts. Repeating that gives them 70 pts/ But yes of course they could go on a run of 10 wins and be much better in second half of season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,574 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

United are having their '' Spurs'' moment, Spurs went from 1st to midtable in a blink of an eye, but are climbing again. United will be midtable in 6 tables, Spurs moving forward.
    I don't see United beating Fulham, Arsenal, Everton, Chelsea, City in coming games. Reality will hit.

As for us, this is our blip, we'll come through it. This team is full of winners, and they're not happy. No way we'll down tools, or continue not scoring.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Shanee.

United are having their '' Spurs'' moment, Spurs went from 1st to midtable in a blink of an eye, but are climbing again. United will be midtable in 6 tables, Spurs moving forward.
    I don't see United beating Fulham, Arsenal, Everton, Chelsea, City in coming games. Reality will hit.

As for us, this is our blip, we'll come through it. This team is full of winners, and they're not happy. No way we'll down tools, or continue not scoring.

I hope it happens sooner rather than later for us, because the way were playing we will be double digits behind city when we play them at this rate

They only have 35 pts. Repeating that gives them 70 pts/ But yes of course they could go on a run of 10 wins and be much better in second half of season.

They've 35 points after 17 games. Repeating that will have them on 70 points after 34 games....... season is 38 games.

Anyone think Salah has switched off a bit? Is he already thinking of Madrid or whoever it is that's buying him in the summer?

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 54,184 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I think this is wishful thinking.

I certainly wouldn't describe it as a "blip". We've won 4 out of our last 10 games. It is hard to see how it's going to suddenly come good given the reasons for why we are struggling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭atilladehun

Saw somewhere that our opposition teams have more touches in their own boxes than they do against other teams.

I'm convinced teams are putting up a super low block against us. Usually a low block is to keep teams out of the penalty box but the super low block has 7/8 players close to the penalty spot.

It's a new problem, we no longer have that 3 yards of space to create chaos in. Things like Jotas movement and nabys movement could help draw players out but we don't have them at the moment.

We have ox, taki and milner. Can we be using them to create a solution? Play a diamond with no Bobby? Do something to draw players out of the box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Anyone think Salah has switched off a bit? Is he already thinking of Madrid or whoever it is that's buying him in the summer?

I dunno, has the Covid had an impact on his performance levels?

A question, and I haven't looked into this, but where are we in a league table year on year, say since last February to now? I seem to recall us wobbling a little before the shutdown last march, when Fab was injured, and post Covid we were a bit hit and miss. This has continued this season, and is explained mostly by injuries and absences, but the 'rot' might be a little deeper, unless my mind is playing tricks on me.

I dunno, has the Covid had an impact on his performance levels?

A question, and I haven't looked into this, but where are we in a league table year on year, say since last February to now? I seem to recall us wobbling a little before the shutdown last march, when Fab was injured, and post Covid we were a bit hit and miss. This has continued this season, and is explained mostly by injuries and absences, but the 'rot' might be a little deeper, unless my mind is playing tricks on me.

In the last 12 months as of yesterday's game Liverpool have amassed just 78 points from 35 games or 2.2 PPG.

They've gone from near superhuman to "average" top 4 side, which would have been ok 5 years ago. But now there are about 7 clubs who could grab a CL berth.

They switched off a bit in the league obviously, no harm in that with it won. The real issue though isn't injuries it's that the opposition have nullified the attack. Even with "everyone" fit and firing the % of shots turned into goals has fallen off. Take out Palace and it's pretty dismal.

Klopp and co need to find a new shape, offer up a new problem for defences. No sign of that happening though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

In the last 12 months as of yesterday's game Liverpool have amassed just 78 points from 35 games or 2.2 PPG.

They've gone from near superhuman to "average" top 4 side, which would have been ok 5 years ago. But now there are about 7 clubs who could grab a CL berth.

This right here. People who are saying that this team is only in a slight blip in form and will snap out of to somehow go and win 14/15 of our the remaining 20 games are codding themselves. The fact is they haven't played well over the last 12 months, bar an odd performance here and there...Lets be honest, all the previous successful sides (United, Chelsea, Arsenal, City etc) got about 2/3 years max of each team before bringing in new faces! The core of this Liverpool teams have been going at it for over 4 seasons now so things are definitely going to go flat and the fact there is not much competition for those core players places only adds to the woes.

Idk how much that data really means when over that same period of 35 games the current champions elect Man City have amassed 75 points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,700 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Just saw Klopps post match comments and it seems to me that he is resigned to not winning the PL this year when he is talking of top 4
    “I have to qualify for the Champions League and I know how difficult that is. This season will be a tough race for the top four that is for sure. Football fans are not the most patience species on this planet. They want to win each football game.

“I am not too different from that. But I am long enough in the business to know that there are more difficult periods. And this is not the most difficult period I have been through in my life, it’s not even close. We have to be patient.”

There is no new centre back coming in and he has known it for months now. I wouldnt be too surprised if behind the scenes the coaching team felt it was already a tall ask papering over the cracks created by the VVD and Gomez injuries. To do that we needed the front 3 to up their levels but now with them not firing it seems Klopp realises that we're in a proper fight here for top 4. That same realisation must go around the dressing room.

We'll see how the next few games go but Spurs and West Ham away are proper banana skins now. I think we will get out of this rut and top 4 wont be a worry by April but also that by the time we go on a proper run its going to be too late for silverware. Even with Jota back its hard to see us toppling the likes of Bayern or Juve without VVD on the pitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,885 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

This right here. People who are saying that this team is only in a slight blip in form and will snap out of to somehow go and win 14/15 of our the remaining 20 games are codding themselves. The fact is they haven't played well over the last 12 months, bar an odd performance here and there...Lets be honest, all the previous successful sides (United, Chelsea, Arsenal, City etc) got about 2/3 years max of each team before bringing in new faces! The core of this Liverpool teams have been going at it for over 4 seasons now so things are definitely going to go flat and the fact there is not much competition for those core players places only adds to the woes.

Nothing to do with the core of players its pretty straight forward ,

There 3 CB's are injured and there best two midfielders are playing CB's
    The whole spine from the last 2 seasons has changed because of that,

Because of VVD & Gomez missing they are not holding as high line meaning the front 3 are not getting the support they are used to .

Robbo and Trent are not as high up the pitch as they are being told not to isolate the part time CB's

They played United in the biggest game of there season and 2 of the 3 midfielders where making there home debuts this season , Liverpool have been absolutely destroyed with injuries ,

Idk how much that data really means when over that same period of 35 games the current champions elect Man City have amassed 75 points.

What matters is when you win those points - City had lost the league and were floundering with disinterest (bar the Liverpool match obvs!)

This season they are now steaming ahead having found a new way of winning without a trad striker having fixed the leaky defence.

They are in the ascendency and Liverpool are smelling of decline.
    Nothing to do with the core of players its pretty straight forward ,

There 3 CB's are injured and there best two midfielders are playing CB's
    The whole spine from the last 2 seasons has changed because of that,

Because of VVD & Gomez missing they are not holding as high line meaning the front 3 are not getting the support they are used to .

Robbo and Trent are not as high up the pitch as they are being told not to isolate the part time CB's

They played United in the biggest game of there season and 2 of the 3 midfielders where making there home debuts this season , Liverpool have been absolutely destroyed with injuries ,

Klopp could and should have bought a CB but took a risk, spending the money on a left back, a CM and a striker. All of them injured just to aggravate matters!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,885 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

What matters is when you win those points - City had lost the league and were floundering with disinterest (bar the Liverpool match obvs!)

This season they are now steaming ahead having found a new way of winning without a trad striker having fixed the leaky defence.

They are in the ascendency and Liverpool are smelling of decline.

Klopp could and should have bought a CB but took a risk, spending the money on a left back, a CM and a striker. All of them injured just to aggravate matters!

I think we all knew at the time the Thiago was not planned but was an opportunity which presented itself that Klopp thought was worth taking a risk on ,

Unfortunately we won't see our strongest team until next season , also I think we will be Stronger when fans are back they seem to lift us and shrink our opponents

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,210 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

And what would you have said if Liverpool did indeed sign a 4th CB instead of a LB and then VVD & Gomez didn't get freak injuries but Robertson did? Would you be happy with Milner as the only LB in the squad for the season? Overstocked at CB but not enough full backs. In the COIVD transfer market with the club losing money every week, it was one or the other.

Also, Klopp doesn't sign the players! But that's an aside.

Fitz* wrote: »
    And what would you have said if Liverpool did indeed sign a 4th CB instead of a LB and then VVD & Gomez didn't get freak injuries but Robertson did? Would you be happy with Milner as the only LB in the squad for the season? Overstocked at CB but not enough full backs. In the COIVD transfer market with the club losing money every week, it was one or the other.

Oh look it's all choices and decisions but with Matip a constant worry and Gomez not bombproof a CB would have been the one position that I'd have covered fully even if it meant Milner playing left back at times.

I wasn't expecting a title winning season given the circumstances but I thought top 4 was a near lock and yet if things don't pick up it'll be fecking nail-biting right to the last (goal difference could be the decider more than ever). Finishing 5th or worse will be a real stain given the starting position. It's the sort of thing best left to Chelsea and their weird yo-yo ways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,810 ✭✭✭Enzokk

It is frustrating as our current run is not what we have been used to for about three years now. I don't think it should be underestimated how much the loss of both Van Dijk and Gomez has had on us. With one of them out we could cope with a injured Matip as we could put in one of the youngsters or Fabinho, but both out at the same time with long term injuries is a massive blow. Nobody could have foreseen this and it is easy to say we should have bought another CB when Lovren left but to lose 2 CB's to long term injuries is very unlucky.

This meant that not only do we lose our high line and that it allows our RB and LB to push up, but we lose our threat at corners or set pieces and we lose Fabinho and Henderson in midfield. To overcome this we need to have the front three firing, but if they aren't we look very bad. Remember the loss of Henderson and Fabinho in midfield will impact the front three as well. Hopefully our impact players will turn it around for us and we can go on some sort of run. United have been relying on Fernandes since he arrived so hopefully Salah or Mane goes on an insane run of scoring to keep us in games.

I am resigned that we will not win the title this year. I still want us to but I don't think it will happen as we have had too much go against us this year to overcome. This is the way it goes sometimes. I still think there will be downturns for all other teams as City will be playing non-stop for the rest of the season if they keep progressing in the cups. This will catch up to them, no matter how big their squad is and bad luck with an injury to their defense will have the same impact as ours had.

Let's just hope we get some better luck in matches with referee decisions going forward as well...it really is tiring to have tight VAR calls go against us seemingly 90% of the time and to have referee's blow early for halftime when there is a possible break on. You constantly see them add time if there is a set piece or corner or a team is attacking, but to have Tierney blow up 6 seconds before the "minimum of one minute" is up when we are moving forward just deflates you. Those decisions just take the air out of me as it makes me think a big decision will go against you later in the match.

I think this is wishful thinking.

I certainly wouldn't describe it as a "blip". We've won 4 out of our last 10 games. It is hard to see how it's going to suddenly come good given the reasons for why we are struggling.

Yeah ........ even if we get Henderson and Fabinho back in midfield we still won't be firing near 100%. Shaqiri and Thiago ahead of Wij isn't too bad a midfield 3.

Assuming Matip is fit this would be my team for Burnley (if he's not then just put Phillips in his place)
    Alisson
    TAA-Matip-Fab-Robertson
    Thiago
    Henderson-Wijnaldum
    Shaqiri-Salah-Mane

• Administrators Posts: 54,184 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

We only have 3 senior centre halves at the club, one of which has always been very injury prone. We left ourselves short there, which is why we're having to do stupid things like play our midfield there instead.

You can put some of this down to bad luck of two serious injuries, but the club also have to take some blame for the lack of strength in the position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,200 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

We only have 3 senior centre halves at the club, one of which has always been very injury prone. We left ourselves short there, which is why we're having to do stupid things like play our midfield there instead.

You can put some of this down to bad luck of two serious injuries, but the club also have to take some blame for the lack of strength in the position.

I’d even say 2 of the 3 are very injury prone. Gomez record is that he’s more likely than not to miss reasonably significant chunks of each season. (Worth keeping in mind Lovren played in over quarter of our league games last season)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,810 ✭✭✭Enzokk

But even if we had Lovren still at the club, we would have had one fit CB and had to play Fabinho next to him as he is better than Williams and Philips, which leaves us with Lovren who is prone to mistakes and without Fabinho in MF. We have left ourselves short, no denying this. But to have 2 long term injuries in one position is not something teams can plan for. City apparently lost this league last year because of one injury to a CB. We have had 2 and we are still only 3 points behind the leaders.

Any other year and we are 10 or more points behind and out of it. As much as our poor form is benefitting other teams, the fact that there really isn't an outstanding team in the league this year (yes, City has not been outstanding either so far) means we are still somehow in a title race even with our depleted squad.

I think we also forget that Klopp isn't infallible and I think his use of subs can be better. Easy to overlook if you are on a 10 game winning run, very noticeable when you are not.

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Just saw Klopps post match comments and it seems to me that he is resigned to not winning the PL this year when he is talking of top 4

........... I wouldnt be too surprised if behind the scenes the coaching team felt it was already a tall ask papering over the cracks created by the VVD and Gomez injuries. To do that we needed the front 3 to up their levels but now with them not firing it seems Klopp realises that we're in a proper fight here for top 4. That same realisation must go around the dressing room. .............

I heard the interview and thought he was just taking the pressure off the boys a tad.

I'd hope he reckons it's still within us to be in the mix for the title....... we're only a point off City, fair enough they've a game in hand but I'd expect us to pull a decent run together tbh.

Yesterday's first 11 on paper is far better than how they played....... top class LB, reasonable CB partnership (accepting it's makeshift) ........ decent RB and the midfield and front 3s are largely big names. The bench was not great admittedly.

We should be able to beat most PL teams once the front 3 get scoring again..... and they will no doubt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Wonder what Steven Caulker is up to these days?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,200 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

DrumSteve wrote: »

Honestly, not a bad option.

He was in a really bad place when he joined us, dealing with severe depression and addiction.

Went to Turkey and sorted himself out though (few great articles/interviews on it), and has had a few really good solid seasons. 6 months left on his contract now.

Playing for the best defence in Turkey.

In Turkey and had a very good few seasons there, He is available for about £2m as his contract is up in the summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Honestly, not a bad option.

He was in a really bad place when he joined us, dealing with severe depression and addiction.

Went to Turkey and sorted himself out though (few great articles/interviews on it), and has had a few really good solid seasons. 6 months left on his contract now.
    Playing for the best defence in Turkey.
    In Turkey and had a very good few seasons there, He is available for about £2m as his contract is up in the summer.

Glad to hear it.

Now we just need to figure out which one of Salah, Mane or Bobby he's going to put out of the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭mada999

When VVD was fit and played the team set up with a super highline & press with VVD and Matip/Gomez playing at the center circle both Robbo and TAA played in the opposition half.

Right now we defend deep in our own half and how often do you see the fullback play in the opposition half now, both TAA & Robbo spend more time in their own half defending since VVD was injured.

The reason we could play the super highline & press was because Fab was there to protect that highline and now Fab is back in CB and the highline is no more.

What we are missing now is that highline and the press in the opposition half.

Exactly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Shanee.

Doesn't seem like he wants to leave to me anyway.
    Asked about his future by Norwegian channel TV2, Salah said: "I do not know.

"If you ask, I say I want to stay here as long as I can, but as I have said before, it is in the hands of the club.

"I will always give 100 per cent to the last minute I am in this club and I want to win as many trophies as I can.

"And I want to give 100 per cent to the people, who show me love all the time."

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/mohamed-salah-liverpool-future-breaking-19647333

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,325 ✭✭✭✭rob316

He doesn't really have many options but to stay. Barcelona are in serious financial trouble, Madrid have eyes for Mbappe only.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

There's still a lot of delusional fans on here, thinking that this is a blip, it's not, we haven't played well since after the lockdown. At the moment it might look like we're in a title race, but the reality is we won't be in a few weeks time.

I think the lockdown affected us more than any other team, knowing that the league was wrapped up, nothing to play for after lockdown and not really being able to celebrate the league win properly. I really think breaking the points record should have been the goal after lockdown to keep the squad focused.
    I think a malaise set into the squad in the games after lockdown, didn't care about breaking the points record or
    didn't really give the fringe players and youngsters more game time, we ended up doing neither, let themselves get hammered against City and let bad habits seep into the squad. Even at the start of the season with pretty much everyone available the attitude wasn't right. We have been unlucky with injuries, but, it's deeper than just injuries.
    This season despite not playing well even up to a few weeks ago was a great opportunity to assert our dominance over City in particular and possibly seeing off Pep at the end of the season, which would make next season easier for us, instead City and Pep look refreshed and renewed for the fight and it's us that's in trouble.

I honestly think we will not win the league under Klopp again, this was the pivotal season, had we won this season, I think we would go on and win more. That might sound like an outrageous statement, but, all our rivals have the financial might in the transfer market, which we can't compete with. Our squad is likely to get weaker as our rivals get stronger. It's an uphill battle from here for us.

If Salah just went on and on about how he loves Liverpool and never wants to leave them Edwards would have him over a barrel come contract extension time, if he bats his eyes at Madrid and PSG and throw down a big contract Liverpool will be forced to match it to keep him, that's what he pays his agent for. Pay very little mind to comments like these in times like this.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement