Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2020/2021

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭Shanee.

Girly Gal wrote: »
    There's still a lot of delusional fans on here, thinking that this is a blip, it's not, we haven't played well since after the lockdown. At the moment it might look like we in a title race, but the reality is we won't be in a few weeks time.

I think the lockdown affected us more than any other team, knowing that the league was wrapped up, nothing to play for after lockdown down and not really being able to celebrate the league win probably. I really think breaking the points record should have been the goal after lockdown to keep the squad focused.
    I think a malaise set into the squad in the games after lockdown, didn't care about breaking the points record or
    didn't really give the fringe players and youngsters more game time, we ended up doing neither, let themselves get hammered against City and let bad habits seep into the squad. Even at the start of the season with pretty much everyone available the attitude wasn't right. We have been unlucky with injuries, but, it's deeper than just injuries.
    This season despite not playing well even up to a few weeks ago was a great opportunity to assert our dominance over City in particular and possibly seeing off Pep at the end of the season, which would make next season easier for us, instead City and Pep look refreshed and renewed for the fight and it's us that's in trouble.

I honestly think we will not win the league under Klopp again, this was the pivotal season, had we won this season, I think we would go on and win more. That might sound like an outrageous statement, but, all our rivals have the financial might in the transfer market, which we can't compete with. Our squad is likely to get weaker as our rivals get stronger. It's an uphill battle from here for us.

Your right about it being an outrageous statement...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,932 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

There's still a lot of delusional fans on here, thinking that this is a blip, it's not, we haven't played well since after the lockdown. At the moment it might look like we're in a title race, but the reality is we won't be in a few weeks time.

I think the lockdown affected us more than any other team, knowing that the league was wrapped up, nothing to play for after lockdown and not really being able to celebrate the league win probably. I really think breaking the points record should have been the goal after lockdown to keep the squad focused.
    I think a malaise set into the squad in the games after lockdown, didn't care about breaking the points record or
    didn't really give the fringe players and youngsters more game time, we ended up doing neither, let themselves get hammered against City and let bad habits seep into the squad. Even at the start of the season with pretty much everyone available the attitude wasn't right. We have been unlucky with injuries, but, it's deeper than just injuries.
    This season despite not playing well even up to a few weeks ago was a great opportunity to assert our dominance over City in particular and possibly seeing off Pep at the end of the season, which would make next season easier for us, instead City and Pep look refreshed and renewed for the fight and it's us that's in trouble.

I honestly think we will not win the league under Klopp again, this was the pivotal season, had we won this season, I think we would go on and win more. That might sound like an outrageous statement, but, all our rivals have the financial might in the transfer market, which we can't compete with. Our squad is likely to get weaker as our rivals get stronger. It's an uphill battle from here for us.

From "everyone else is delusional" to "Klopp will never win the league again" in 200 words.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭sweetie

There's still a lot of delusional fans on here, thinking that this is a blip, it's not, we haven't played well since after the lockdown. At the moment it might look like we in a title race, but the reality is we won't be in a few weeks time.

I think the lockdown affected us more than any other team, knowing that the league was wrapped up, nothing to play for after lockdown down and not really being able to celebrate the league win probably. I really think breaking the points record should have been the goal after lockdown to keep the squad focused.

ah here. delusional! Two issues, cb cover and covid. Add a bit of bad form in attack and we have a bad run. We mightn't win the league now, or we might challenge but you're making some big assumptions there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Its funny actually but we are going through exactly what City did last season, short in CB, season long injury to there best one and they ended up playing their best DM in defence, unbalancing the midfield.
    Look at what Fabinho is doing at CB, he is an absolute monster of DM, one of the best in Europe if not the best and we are missing him.

Get in a CB, Fab back in midfield and Jota back into the attack, we can have a really strong end to the season. City look sharp and tight now but no one is going to run away with this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭jebidiah

Calm down, its a tough season, we are going through a bad "patch" or what ever you want to call it, or how ever long it is going on for.

Remember last year when everyone said Pep was going to leave City? And now they are on the up and going to walk the league?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

There's still a lot of delusional fans on here, thinking that this is a blip, it's not, we haven't played well since after the lockdown. At the moment it might look like we're in a title race, but the reality is we won't be in a few weeks time.

I think the lockdown affected us more than any other team, knowing that the league was wrapped up, nothing to play for after lockdown and not really being able to celebrate the league win properly. I really think breaking the points record should have been the goal after lockdown to keep the squad focused.

hqdefault.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

I thought Robbo was class yesterday had absolute no problems defensively and was probably our best attacking outlet,

The sky crew gave Shaw loads of credit (he played well) but Robbo on an off day was still far more comfortably defending and attacking
    He is just world class ,

Pity Bobby didnt square it to Robbo, he would have had a great chance of a shot on goal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

mada999 wrote: »
    Pity Bobby didnt square it to Robbo, he would have had a great chance of a shot on goal

Sure was,

Such a pity Taki never looked like the player that played against us, he would have been brilliant to have as an altenative to Bobby ,

Seemed so aggressive that night they played us but has been anything but since,

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

Van Dijk is out for the season.

Matip has been injured twice already & you'd expect it to happen again. Gomez has been injured twice, the second putting him out indefinitely.

Thiago & Jota will have been injured for 2.5 months each.

Alisson (twice) Keita (twice) Milner, Hendo, Shaq, & Trent,have all been out injured also. All of these injuries mentioned are significant injuries resulting in a lay-off of 10 days or more.

As well as that you have Salah, Mane & Thiago have all been missing at times due to COVID-related absences.

On top of this you have the ridiculous VAR decisions that have gone against us that don't seem to go against others.

What can go against us, has gone against us this season.

All of this & we are still only 3 points off the top.

Other clubs must be kicking themselves that they aren't further ahead of us & rightly so. We've been very much a make-shift team for the majority of the season.

There's an argument there to be had that had these freak injuries not occurred that we would be p1ssing the league at this stage given how it's gone so far.

How can anyone say that they don't think we'll win a league again under Klopp?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,462 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Klopp hates it, but on paper at least the team seem to like it .

Burley in 3 days
    United 3 days after
    Spurs 4 days after
    West Ham 3 days after
    Brighton 3 days after
    City 3 days after

We had an eight day break from 19th of Dec to the 27th, didn't play Boxing Day . And a 13 day break between the League game on the 4th of Jan and playing United yesterday on the 17th.... but also a 9 day break between the Villa cup game and the United game.

Never seems to help all these gaps in games.

No breaks now, a little run and we're back to the top......... but also the potential to lose a lot of ground of course. But I think we'll enjoy these quickfire games.
    A chance to find form .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Enzokk

Klopp hates it, but on paper at least the team seem to like it .

Burley in 3 days
    United 3 days after
    Spurs 4 days after
    West Ham 3 days after
    Brighton 3 days after
    City 3 days after

We had an eight day break from 19th of Dec to the 27th, didn't play Boxing Day . And a 13 day break between the League game on the 4th of Jan and playing United yesterday on the 17th.... but also a 9 day break between the Villa cup game and the United game.

Never seems to help all these gaps in games.

No breaks now, a little run and we're back to the top......... but also the potential to lose a lot of ground of course. But I think we'll enjoy these quickfire games.
    A chance to find form .

I think he hates it when we are playing every 3 days but our opponents have a week to prepare. If both teams are playing every 3 days it evens it out. This time we should be in the same boat as the other's until end of February or early March.

I think Fulham beat United on Wednesday, and Villa draw with City. Villa are no mugs. Leicester play Chelsea, could go either way.

I think Liverpool are top with a win on Thursday against Burnley , or at least 2nd

The crazy results this season won't go away. We'll have ours, but so will everyone else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

mada999 wrote: »

He wouldn't have shot anyway. He's afraid to have a shot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

I think Fulham beat United on Wednesday, and Villa draw with City. Villa are no mugs. Leicester play Chelsea, could go either way.

I think Liverpool are top with a win on Thursday against Burnley , or at least 2nd

Fulham are poor and UTD haven't lost away from home all season so its not going to happen at Craven Cottage. Best result we can hope for there is a draw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,916 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

It looks like non of the under 23's forwards are scoring goals either so no point of calling any of them up.

The two that might have got a chance are both out with long term injuries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭mosstin

I think the lockdown affected us more than any other team, knowing that the league was wrapped up, nothing to play for after lockdown and not really being able to celebrate the league win properly. I really think breaking the points record should have been the goal after lockdown to keep the squad focused.

Absolutely embarrassing stuff. Pathetic knee-jerk nonsense. **** me, this thread these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

DVDM93 wrote: »
    There's an argument there to be had that had these freak injuries not occurred that we would be p1ssing the league at this stage given how it's gone so far.

How can anyone say that they don't think we'll win a league again under Klopp?

I think without all the injuries we would be in cruise mode in the PL right now and thoughts would be more about how far we can go in the CL. But not much we can do about lots of bad luck. It still far from over but theres a real feeling we need to get our skates on now and will be under pressure to beat City in a few weeks time. We've done that before plenty and Klopp has Peps number so its not beyond us.

Even if we do come up short its still madness to think Klopp will not win another league. The players would be hurting to not retain it and that is a serious motivator for next season. With VVD returning, Fab and Hendo back to position and a full season Thiago we'll be very much contenders.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

I'd be absolutely delighted to be proved wrong, but, I think that while we'll challenge for the title, utimately we'll fall short as our strength in deep won't be able to match City's, who can buy who they like if there's a gap in the squad, we can't do that, that's why I think we won't win the league again, not that Klopp isn't good enough to do it, it's because he'll be hamstrung by finances. In the summer we need at least 1 ( probably 2)CBs, a replacement for Gini in midfield, at least one forward to replace either Mane or Salah (I think one will leave this summer) and Firmino needs to be replaced too as he seems to have completely lost his way. At a minimum that's what we need this summer, but, will the funds be available for that? Also VVD and Gomez may not be the same when they do come back.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Fulham are appalling, 1 win in 10. United will beat them handily.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

I'd be absolutely delighted to be proved wrong, but, I think that while we'll challenge for the title, utimately we'll fall short as our strength in deep won't be able to match City's, who can buy who they like if there's a gap in the squad, we can't do that, that's why I think we won't win the league again, not that Klopp isn't good enough to do it, it's because he'll be hamstrung by finances. In the summer we need at least 1 ( probably 2)CBs, a replacement for Gini in midfield, at least one forward to replace either Mane or Salah (I think one will leave this summer) and Firmino needs to be replaced too as he seems to have completely lost his way. At a minimum that's what we need this summer, but, will the funds be available for that? Also VVD and Gomez may not be the same when they do come back.

Cheer up, might never happen

Jesus wept

awec wrote: »
    Fulham are appalling, 1 win in 10. United will beat them handily.

Fulham love to draw. They play to draw, and have done it 5 times out of last 6. Chelsea beat them 0-1 in last game though.
    They will just give United the ball, like they did us, and say ''score'' if you can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Things are looking bad for Liverpool.

The front three are stale.

TAA is stale.

Henderson is back to his average self.

And Klopp has no excuses.

They need to hammer Burnley this Thursday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,085 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Amy win will do.

A scruffy hard fought win could kick start the team into form again.

We obviously have our share of problems but the way some of you are carrying on you'd swear the last few seasons never happened. It's like being back in the post-Rafa to Rodgers days.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

mikeym wrote: »
    Things are looking bad for Liverpool.

The front three are stale.

TAA is stale.

Henderson is back to his average self.

And Klopp has no excuses.

They need to hammer Burnley this Thursday.

Gotta love this thread lately, you'd swear we were 10 points off top 4.

Front 3 will come back to goal scoring form, sooner rather than later hopefully.

Hendo, Gini, Thiago will get midfield purring, this will help Trent also I think.
    Thiago is key, but having Hendo there also is very necessary.

A win by 1 goal will do fine v Burnley, anything better is a bonus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

mosstin wrote: »
    Absolutely embarrassing stuff. Pathetic knee-jerk nonsense. **** me, this thread these days.

Yup. This season may not live up to our expectations but its far from a disaster if it doesn't. Its a mad covid stricken, compressed season where the club literally has had a lot of its income removed, a lot of its best players removed yet many expect the show to just keep rolling on as normal. Reading this place recently, I'm glad I don't get bogged down by a footy team having a poor spell.

We're still the reigning champions, this fact brings a massive smile to my face every single day, even after a sh!te result, I'll live off that for as long as it lasts. And we'll absolutely be back sooner than later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

We obviously have our share of problems but the way some of you are carrying on you'd swear the last few seasons never happened. It's like being back in the post-Rafa to Rodgers days.

They happened and they are now irrelevant. You can't cook on yesterdays gas (is a saying I just made up)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Ikozma

MarkY91 wrote: »
    He wouldn't have shot anyway. He's afraid to have a shot.

It's not that he's afraid, it's that he just cant

It's like an alternate universe the Premier League table. We'll be clear at top in 6 games, united with be 8th, City second, and Spurs a point behind in 3rd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

Augeo wrote: »
    I heard the interview and thought he was just taking the pressure off the boys a tad.

I'd hope he reckons it's still within us to be in the mix for the title....... we're only a point off City, fair enough they've a game in hand but I'd expect us to pull a decent run together tbh.

Yesterday's first 11 on paper is far better than how they played....... top class LB, reasonable CB partnership (accepting it's makeshift) ........ decent RB and the midfield and front 3s are largely big names. The bench was not great admittedly.

We should be able to beat most PL teams once the front 3 get scoring again..... and they will no doubt.

This is essentially the problem. On paper the 11 players we field should still be beating West Brom, Newcastle, Fulham, Brighton and getting a result against Southampton which is making it very frustrating.

I said it before that the CB excuse is becoming a get out of jail card for the other players not performing to how we know they can. If players like Mane and Salah want to be considered for the Ballon D'or they have to be producing week in week out like Messi and Ronaldo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Enzokk

Did anyone else notice the intake of breath during the commentary on the weekend? I know with Gary Neville having a big emotional investment in the match it is understandable, but a few times it seemed to me to be from Tyler and not Neville. It seemed to happen if we had a move that looked like it would open up the United defense as well.

Either way, we know Tyler is done and should be retired but if it was Neville then he should not be allowed to commentate on this fixture again. This isn't some club channel or fan channel, this is supposed to be a professional product.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭koppy

Burnley game for me is massive I was getting worried about our form until Sunday. Even though it was a draw I though the performance was top class . I do think anything but a win at Burnley puts us under massive pressure especially with spurs next. Really think we need the win to get the momentum going. Next few weeks is all about staying in touch. Going to be a tight one this year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭atilladehun

Enzokk wrote: »
    Did anyone else notice the intake of breath during the commentary on the weekend? I know with Gary Neville having a big emotional investment in the match it is understandable, but a few times it seemed to me to be from Tyler and not Neville. It seemed to happen if we had a move that looked like it would open up the United defense as well.

Either way, we know Tyler is done and should be retired but if it was Neville then he should not be allowed to commentate on this fixture again. This isn't some club channel or fan channel, this is supposed to be a professional product.

Sky have been openly pushing for the partizan co commentator for a while now. It's entertainment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Maybe Tyler was desperate to see liverpool score a goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

I don't think any team will be running away with the league this year. Fixture schedule is too packed, too intense, and we still have a pandemic weighting down on the players, staff and public as a whole to add an extra layer of difficulty.

Yes City are in good form at the minute, but I don't know if we can expect them to now just hit their typical form of winning the majority of their games from here to the end of the season. To me, it just seems impossible for any team to do that this year.

Mentally and physically, I'll be shocked if any team can do that.

True.

https://twitter.com/N_Powell/status/1350523190947287042?s=20

https://twitter.com/Lewis7Nic/status/1350523257083092993?s=20

https://twitter.com/CommonSenceUK/status/1350523869245943811?s=20

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

My highlight is this one. No he didn't say. He said '' It can't be as much fun coming to work with all the relgulations etc''

I wouldn't be thanking them now but it's just blown massively out of proportion

To be fair to Martin Tyler he kept bringing up Jamie Carragher's own goals during the game. It was really original. He's never said anything like that before. It was great banter & really good craic :O

Honestly it's not even about his obvious bitterness towards one club or him constantly fawning over another, even though his literal job is to provide a neutral outlook on proceedings. You'd get over that. It's been great fun watching his pain & suffering over the last few years.

But he's simply stuck in the past & well past it himself. He spends more time talking about things that happened years ago that he does about the actual match he is paid to be commentating on. He doesn't offer any real insight at all.

ITV are replacing Clive Tyldesley as they feel they need to freshen things up. I quite liked Tyldesley as a commentator and he's much superior to Tyler.

But even Sky themselves have replaced all sorts of personnel lately. The Soccer Saturday bunch were hugely popular and yet they were still replaced. Tyler has been the most glaring need for replacing for a number of years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

He just sounds like he's dying behind the microphone. Peter Drury now that's a voice that excites you and adds to the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

Yeah, Tyler did it twice. Maguire passed it straight to Mane I think and he reacted like a fan would when your team did something like that. He did it again soon after when they put themselves in trouble.

He needs putting out to pasture.

dogbert27 wrote: »

I said it before that the CB excuse is becoming a get out of jail card for the other players not performing to how we know they can. ............

The endeavour is there though I feel, heads aren't down or anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

To be fair to Martin Tyler he kept bringing up Jamie Carragher's own goals during the game. It was really original. He's never said anything like that before. It was great banter & really good craic :O

Every United Liverpool match it's the same, pandemic or not, he can't help himself...

A few sources now reporting that Bayern are going to be pushing hard for Upamecano in the summer as Alaba's replacement. Would love to see Liverpool swoop in on him before a bidding war comes. Him and VVD would be unbelievable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

A few sources now reporting that Bayern are going to be pushing hard for Upamecano in the summer as Alaba's replacement. Would love to see Liverpool swoop in on him before a bidding war comes. Him and VVD would be unbelievable.

I see we are also being linked to Alaba this morning. Nothing signed with Madrid yet by all accounts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I've always been happy to jump on the "Liverpool are winning the league" bandwagon early on in the past few seasons, but I really can't see it here.

I think City are going to walk it. 15-20 points ahead of us by the end, I'd say. There's been a 19? point swing in their favour the last 10 games, since we played them (albeit there were some games in hand in there). In that time we've only won 4.
    I don't think this team has 8-10 wins in a row in it. I didn't think any team would have that sort of form in them at the start of the year, but City look like they do. Utd kinda have as well, but unlike City, they look well capable of going on a run of 1 win in 10 as well. They'll regress to the mean.

We'll get top 4. Maybe 2nd or 3rd. And we'll have another go next year, which will hopefully be less of a pile of absolute scutter, and all going well on the rehab front, I see us right up there with 95+ points again.

You never know with the cup competitions, but we're certainly still in with a shout for the FA cup and the CL. Just need to click on the night or get lucky a few times, or have the right players back for the right sequence of games.

I see we are also being linked to Alaba this morning. Nothing signed with Madrid yet by all accounts.

Id much prefer Upamecano to be honest....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,916 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Officials for the Spurs game.

Referee: Martin Atkinson. Assistants: Lee Betts, Constantine Hatzidakis. Fourth official: Kevin Friend. VAR: Jonathan Moss. Assistant VAR: Dan Robathan.

https://www.premierleague.com/news/1979353?sf242124883=1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I read a report last night that said a deal is almost done with Madrid and on a salary of 210k a week. Maybe somethings changed since then but hard to see us matching that salary imo

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement