Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2020/2021

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Gbear wrote: »
    I've always been happy to jump on the "Liverpool are winning the league" bandwagon early on in the past few seasons, but I really can't see it here.

I think City are going to walk it. 15-20 points ahead of us by the end, I'd say. There's been a 19? point swing in their favour the last 10 games, since we played them (albeit there were some games in hand in there). In that time we've only won 4.
    I don't think this team has 8-10 wins in a row in it. I didn't think any team would have that sort of form in them at the start of the year, but City look like they do. Utd kinda have as well, but unlike City, they look well capable of going on a run of 1 win in 10 as well. They'll regress to the mean.

We'll get top 4. Maybe 2nd or 3rd. And we'll have another go next year, which will hopefully be less of a pile of absolute scutter, and all going well on the rehab front, I see us right up there with 95+ points again.

You never know with the cup competitions, but we're certainly still in with a shout for the FA cup and the CL. Just need to click on the night or get lucky a few times, or have the right players back for the right sequence of games.

Man City starting with us at Anfield.

Have a very tough run in. We win the next 3 games we have a chance

0f11b0480a0fe427b56c7b190419a3ee.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,200 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

A few sources now reporting that Bayern are going to be pushing hard for Upamecano in the summer as Alaba's replacement. Would love to see Liverpool swoop in on him before a bidding war comes. Him and VVD would be unbelievable.

He has a release clause in the summer, so no bidding war at least - though would need to match, or even better, whatever wages they’re offering alright.

Kinda resigned to not going for a CB at this stage, even though i think that effectively amounts to throwing in the towel on the League and CL... irritating.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

Id much prefer Upamecano to be honest....

So would I. Alaba is 29 in June - would be another player in that age bracket we should be trying to avoid from here on out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭KevRossi

This is from Kicker, I trust them a lot more than the likes of Marca and the tabloids, they're still a serious football/sports magazine. https://www.kicker.de/alaba-verlaesst-bayern-definitiv-real-wechsel-wird-konkreter-794977/artikel . No mention of Liverpool. As much as I like Alaba, I'd prefer Upamecano as he won't kick start a wages race that we can't sustain.

Alaba definitely leaving Bayern, tending towards Real Madrid. That's confirmed to Kicker by Bayern reps. Zahavi speaking with 5 clubs about him. PSG, Chelsea, Man United have all made offers, City have spoken to Zahavi, but have yet to make an offer. No mention of Liverpool.

If Joan Laporta becomes Barcelona president on March 7th, then he's interested, he's good friends with Zahavi. Alaba under no time pressure and could wait until April or May to make a decision.

He has a cert from a doctor in Germany that he's fit, but no club has done a medical with him. Real may have to see if Ramos goes in summer as they might have issues paying both wages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,810 ✭✭✭Enzokk

Officials for the Spurs game.

Referee: Martin Atkinson. Assistants: Lee Betts, Constantine Hatzidakis. Fourth official: Kevin Friend. VAR: Jonathan Moss. Assistant VAR: Dan Robathan.

https://www.premierleague.com/news/1979353?sf242124883=1

My excuse done already...two names you dread on there. Martin Atkinson and Jonathan Moss.

Just looked at the stats again, we had 66% possession against United. I fail to see how this is progress for United? They played a deflated and injury ravaged squad and still only had 34% possession. Yes, they had 2 good chances to score, but you cannot surely be thought of as potential champions if you play like this? I think it actually shows in their results so far this year where they had to fight back to win. This cannot go on forever and while I think they could win the league this year if their luck hold up, it could mean with a key injury and bad luck you could easily drop out of the top 4. But it is not a sustainable way to challenge, just like Spurs.

Basically United is just a better Spurs with better players in more positions, but they play the same way.

In any case, on to Burnley we go. It will not be easy as we struggle against big aggressive teams. We will need to be better and take our chances we create. Let's hope this will be the start of a change of luck and momentum for us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭dogbert27

Enzokk wrote: »
    My excuse done already...two names you dread on there. Martin Atkinson and Jonathan Moss.

Just looked at the stats again, we had 66% possession against United. I fail to see how this is progress for United? They played a deflated and injury ravaged squad and still only had 34% possession. Yes, they had 2 good chances to score, but you cannot surely be thought of as potential champions if you play like this? I think it actually shows in their results so far this year where they had to fight back to win. This cannot go on forever and while I think they could win the league this year if their luck hold up, it could mean with a key injury and bad luck you could easily drop out of the top 4. But it is not a sustainable way to challenge, just like Spurs.

Basically United is just a better Spurs with better players in more positions, but they play the same way.

In any case, on to Burnley we go. It will not be easy as we struggle against big aggressive teams. We will need to be better and take our chances we create. Let's hope this will be the start of a change of luck and momentum for us.

Add in Kevin Friend as the 4th official. Giving that last minute penalty to Brighton :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,885 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

2 goals would be absolutely grate on Thursday

2 goals would be absolutely grate on Thursday

2 goals could mean a 1-1 draw.

You need to be a bit more specific with this team right now! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61,012 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Alaba has agreed to join Madrid in the summer as I think was expected.

£205k a week after tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Never a hope in hell we'd be willing to pay the obscene money Alaba was shopping himself around for. I'd of been pissed off at the club if they were willing which I don't think they were. Just paper spoof.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

MD1990 wrote: »
    Man City starting with us at Anfield.

Have a very tough run in. We win the next 3 games we have a chance

0f11b0480a0fe427b56c7b190419a3ee.png

That's fine if we were winning the games we're supposed to win, but that doesn't appear to be the case. We're now behind City. We can't rely on them dropping points in tough games being enough to catch back up with them.

But even so, our fixtures are harder than City's, so I'm not sure how that makes anything any better. We've Spurs, Arsenal, Leicester, Utd and Wolves away in our remaining games, with Chelsea, City and Everton at home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,885 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Never a hope in hell we'd be willing to pay the obscene money Alaba was shopping himself around for. I'd of been pissed off at the club if they were willing which I don't think they were. Just paper spoof.

Alaba or his team are using Liverpool to up his contract,
    English clubs are always used ,it was United but recently its us

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

2 Champions League finals in the last 3 years, one of which we won.

196 points over 2 seasons, a 97 point season where we lost out by only a point & a 5 goal GD, the other a 99 point season where we won the league by 18 points.

If the only thing we do this season is finish in the top 4 then I will be happy.

If someone had told me at the start of the season all the injuries we were going to have & yet we will still only be 3 point off the top come the 18th of January & in the last 16 of the CL having topped the group then I'd have laughed at him tbh.

Injuries, covid cases & VAR decisions are out of our hands, so there's no point getting too bogged down or disappointed by it. It is what it is & given the circumstances there's a lot to be positive about.

The only thing that I'm disappointed with is dropping points to Newcastle & West Brom, I'm not going to put Brighton in there as VAR put it out of our hands that day.

We hammered Leicester & Wolves when people were tipping them to take points off us. We beat Spurs at home when people said the same. We took points off City at The Ethiad when they were expected to beat us & given the male-shift team we threw together for United yesterday & them being in their best form for 7/8 years, then a point there wasn't all that bad either.

Oh, and we're still 68 league games unbeaten at home.

It ain't all that bad lads & could/should be a lot worse.

Hamann not a fan of Thiago and he thinks he won't be good for the team and he is the wrong type of player for Liverpool.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭BillyHasMates

DVDM93 wrote: »
    2 Champions League finals in the last 3 years, one of which we won.

196 points over 2 seasons, a 97 point season where we lost out by only a point & a 5 goal GD, the other a 99 point season where we won the league by 18 points.

If the only thing we do this season is finish in the top 4 then I will be happy.

If someone had told me at the start of the season all the injuries we were going to have & yet we will still only be 3 point off the top come the 18th of January & in the last 16 of the CL having topped the group then I'd have laughed at him tbh.

Injuries, covid cases & VAR decisions are out of our hands, so there's no point getting too bogged down or disappointed by it. It is what it is & given the circumstances there's a lot to be positive about.

The only thing that I'm disappointed with is dropping points to Newcastle & West Brom, I'm not going to put Brighton in there as VAR put it out of our hands that day.

We hammered Leicester & Wolves when people were tipping them to take points off us. We beat Spurs at home when people said the same. We took points off City at The Ethiad when they were expected to beat us & given the male-shift team we threw together for United yesterday & them being in their best form for 7/8 years, then a point there wasn't all that bad either.

Oh, and we're still 68 league games unbeaten at home.

It ain't all that bad lads & could/should be a lot worse.

By simply changing the time frame you use when summing up your thoughts on our form you can feel differently about it. Yes taking the last 3 and half seasons in to total consideration and being asked to sum up your thoughts as a Liverpool fan then ofc you will be absolutely delighted with what the club achieved and how they played. I am one of those fans.

However if I am just basing my thoughts on the last run of games then it's also true I am concerned. 4 games without a win, 3 of those against teams struggling this season. Even more concerning is 1 goal scored in those 4 games. Forget winning the league for now I just want to see the team start scoring goals again and playing better. Team desperately needs a confidence booster sooner rather than later or if our form continues will be in a desperate fight for top 4. Pointless comparing run ins with other teams when they are currently in much better form than us.

Last season was the only one of Klopp time at Liverpool that didn't have a blip in January and I put that down to no real break and the players where on autopilot after coming home World Champions.

January is Klopp's Achilles heel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Last season was the only one of Klopp time at Liverpool that didn't have a blip in January and I put that down to no real break and the players where on autopilot after coming home World Champions.

January is Klopp's Achilles heel.

We're normally class in December though, and this time around we drew three league games from 6 (and 1 CL dead rubber), which is our worst since 15/16.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Hamann not a fan of Thiago and he thinks he won't be good for the team and he is the wrong type of player for Liverpool.
    Hamann appears to be the ultimate bitter ex-pro, failed manager turned pundit. His opinions are unjustified and his predictions always fail to materialise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,325 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Thiago apparently the reason for our recent goal drought. The same Thiago who made his first start since October on Sunday. :rolleyes:

I could of sworn he was the only one who actually forced a save out of de gea.

rob316 wrote: »
    Thiago apparently the reason for our recent goal drought. The same Thiago who made his first start since October on Sunday. :rolleyes:

I could of sworn he was the only one who actually forced a save out of de gea.

And changed the FA cup game when he came on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,984 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Again not exactly a 1:1 replacement for Gini but if we could squeeze and option to buy into this we should be all over it

https://twitter.com/LucasNavarreteM/status/1351582697194467328?s=20

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭mightyreds

chicorytip wrote: »
    Hamann appears to be the ultimate bitter ex-pro, failed manager turned pundit. His opinions are unjustified and his predictions always fail to materialise.

Only since klopp isn't it? think he was expecting a coaching role.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭.G.

Again not exactly a 1:1 replacement for Gini but if we could squeeze and option to buy into this we should be all over it

https://twitter.com/LucasNavarreteM/status/1351582697194467328?s=20

We don't have any space in the squad for another overseas player unless one leaves or is left out. Probably partly the reason why we haven't gone for the likes of Militao either.

Adrian appears to have been totally bombed out now so could take him out but it's still a risk to remove him from the squad given how often Alisson gets injured.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

.G. wrote: »
    We don't have any space in the squad for another overseas player unless one leaves or is left out. Probably partly the reason why we haven't gone for the likes of Militao either.

Adrian appears to have been totally bombed out now so could take him out but it's still a risk to remove him from the squad given how often Alisson gets injured.

If it means bringing in someone to strengthen the defence would it not make sense to leave VVD out of the squad as he's unlikely to be available before the end of the season, unless they expect him back early and he can make a meaningful contribution.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭mada999

Officials for the Spurs game.

Referee: Martin Atkinson. Assistants: Lee Betts, Constantine Hatzidakis. Fourth official: Kevin Friend. VAR: Jonathan Moss. Assistant VAR: Dan Robathan.

https://www.premierleague.com/news/1979353?sf242124883=1

here we go, there'll be a lot of fouls not given for us against Burnley as he "likes to let the game flow".

There will be more head locks etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,316 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

DVDM93 wrote: »

Jesus, I thought his performance for Liverpool the last couple of months he was there dropped because he bulked up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,507 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

chicorytip wrote: »

I'm not 100% sure there isn't potentially some truth in him not being the right man. He's brilliant if we're looking to play more possession based game. And he's definitely able to make the killer pass. But if his overall impact is that he slows the game down then potentially the way that our front three have prospered is impacted.

I'm a big fan, I love the type of player he is. Alonso is one of my favourite Liverpool players of all time. I love that type of player that reads and controls a game, brilliant passer and on field coach almost. But I think there might be an element of truth in him not being a perfect fit, or maybe needing to change how we play a little in order to get the most out of him. I certainly don't blame him for the current front three slump.

• Advertisement

I'm not 100% sure there isn't potentially some truth in him not being the right man. He's brilliant if we're looking to play more possession based game. And he's definitely able to make the killer pass. But if his overall impact is that he slows the game down then potentially the way that our front three have prospered is impacted.

I'm a big fan, I love the type of player he is. Alonso is one of my favourite Liverpool players of all time. I love that type of player that reads and controls a game, brilliant passer and on field coach almost. But I think there might be an element of truth in him not being a perfect fit, or maybe needing to change how we play a little in order to get the most out of him. I certainly don't blame him for the current front three slump.

But this notion that he "slows the game down" has come from absolutely nowhere, there's not a single midfielder in our squad who can transition from defence to attack faster than him, never mind the fact he's literally the only one of them willing to take players on on a regular basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Robert2014

I'm not sure Thiago has played where Klopp had in mind yet. I think he wanted Fabinho or Henderson as defensive midfielder and Thiago further forward pinging passes in from high up the field. I think we should wait to see what Klopp wants from him before passing judgement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,507 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

But this notion that he "slows the game down" has come from absolutely nowhere, there's not a single midfielder in our squad who can transition from defence to attack faster than him, never mind the fact he's literally the only one of them willing to take players on on a regular basis.

Watch him play. He's definitely capable of playing the incisive ball, but he's also prone to slowing it down. Or maybe it is his presence, people look to pass him the ball, rather than taking it on themselves to hit a longer more ambitious pass themselves. There's definitely something to it.

Watch him play.

Thanks I hadn't thought of that.

I do watch him play, incessantly.
    Twice in 15 seconds someone passed the ball to Wijnaldum and made a run into the box, both times Gini receives the ball with at least 3 players ahead of him and both times he elects instead to play a simple pass backwards. It's not just Wijnaldum, basically every midfielder we have has been playing far too conservatively this season:

giphy.gif

And then we have Thiago. Within 8 minutes he created this disallowed goal by not immediately passing it out wide, but instead drawing in a midfielder, beating him, then drawing in multiple defenders and releasing it to Williams in an actually threatening area:

giphy.gif

I posted this comment during the game yesterday and I wasn't lying:

Here's a group of highlights that all happened in a 4 minute span where Thiago showcased pretty much everything he brings to the team:

Spotting a lose ball, winning the 50/50, and driving forward 40 yards:

giphy.gif

Hitting a first time 20 yard strike off the crossbar:

giphy.gif

Winning the header from the goalkick after his crossbar shot and then playing a quick pass to the forwards beyond Villa's midfield press:

giphy.gif

Tracking the runner and cutting out the pass in order to stop Williams from having to deal with him in a 1 on 1 footrace:

giphy.gif

Cutting out the Aston Villa clearance, playing it back into the box, chasing up his own pass, winning the ball back, and finding another open Liverpool player inside the box under pressure:

giphy.gif

Girly Gal wrote: »
    If it means bringing in someone to strengthen the defence would it not make sense to leave VVD out of the squad as he's unlikely to be available before the end of the season, unless they expect him back early and he can make a meaningful contribution.

It might but maybe they feel Virg will be back well before the end and that could be why they're reticent to spend big money in January even if they could get who they want. There's also the risk the whole football operation gets shut down again and we've spent big money and have no income at all and no games. Lots to consider.

I'd like to see at least one CB in January but when it didn't happen on January 1st I pretty much accepted its not happening at all.

We'll find out how far along they think Virg is soon enough when the squad list is submitted.

I think when European football starts back you will see the other teams there stutter again and it might just arrive in time for us as we will be playing a game every 3 days by then.

• Advertisement

I think when European football starts back you will see the other teams there stutter again and it might just arrive in time for us as we will be playing a game every 3 days by then.

Might suit us alright - but once again, only if we have resources at the back. Going into a hectic schedule with makeshift defences will only hurt us even more.

Throw a low ball offer at Chelsea for Werner in summer.

I still think he will score goals under a good manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,574 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Leicester top. Now how crazy was that 5 games back.

We'll be back on top in no time also .

They had 11 pts from 6 games before this.

Leicester top. Now how crazy was that 5 games back.

We'll be back on top in no time also .

They had 11 pts from 6 games before this.

It's a mad season alright and it will continue to be. No reason for anyone to be throwing the toys out the pram just yet. Long way to go and we're still right in it. Any run of wins gets you right back up there if you drop a bit.

We just need to get that run started!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭basillarkin

Thanks I hadn't thought of that.

I do watch him play, incessantly.

This was against villa schoolboys though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Throw a low ball offer at Chelsea for Werner in summer.

I still think he will score goals under a good manager.

Hell be plaing for leverkusen or dortmund on loan!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,328 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Only in May, Feb, March and April will have a normal schedule as if its a normal season.

This was against villa schoolboys though.

And yet none of our other midfielders did a thing until he stepped onto the pitch.

The comment was comparing him with the rest of our midfield, all of whom played vs the Villa schoolboys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭basillarkin

And yet none of our other midfielders did a thing until he stepped onto the pitch.

The comment was comparing him with the rest of our midfield, all of whom played vs the Villa schoolboys.

Ya fair enough would like to see him combining with fabihno in midfield but that won't be happening any time soon, mo and Co up top a lot more worrying but probably only a blip. League wide open, between Liverpool and City, City favs though. Nice to see Leicester win again, they are doing brilliant. Hopefully they stay the course again, Rodgers is a good manager.

David Alaba’s pre-contract with Real Madrid is ready since the beginning of January and it’s expected to be signed in the next weeks. His salary will be around €12m [after taxes] per season. #LFC made a top bid to sign him 2 weeks ago but... his dream is called Real Madrid. White circle

https://twitter.com/FabrizioRomano/status/1351538802981019652?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

Watch him play. He's definitely capable of playing the incisive ball, but he's also prone to slowing it down. Or maybe it is his presence, people look to pass him the ball, rather than taking it on themselves to hit a longer more ambitious pass themselves. There's definitely something to it.

Said this the other evening. The fact he is the go to man in midfield makes us more predictable. He's a terrific player who will play more advanced when everyone is fit

Blanco100 wrote: »
    Said this the other evening. The fact he is the go to man in midfield makes us more predictable. He's a terrific player who will play more advanced when everyone is fit

He's only played about 5 minutes - it's a bit soon to say what is or isn't predictable.

One could argue TAA was very predictable as our go-to last season but it didn't seem to do us any harm.

It's one thing to predict something, another to stop it. As long as Thiago is good enough, which I fully believe he is, who gives a shít if defenders know he wants the ball, or that we want to get it to him.

We were "predictable" in 13/14 with Suarez too, and what did that do? It caused defenders to guard him far closer, allowing acres of space for Sturridge and Sterling play in.

It's one thing to predict something, another to stop it. As long as Thiago is good enough, which I fully believe he is, who gives a shít if defenders know he wants the ball.

We were "predictable" in 13/14 with Suarez too, and what did that do? It caused defenders to guard him far closer, allowing acres of space for Sturridge and Sterling play in.

I'd love to one day see a midfield with both Naby and Thiago in it - two entirely different ways of breaking through teams, and if you try to stop one approach, you actively encourage the other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

What a strike by ex youth player Suso

https://streamja.com/jnaPV

Same era signing Luis Alberto also continuing to do well with Lazio, four goals recently.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement