Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2020/2021

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,462 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

In saying that everything was rosy before Christmas. Losing Jota was huge, we'll be stronger when he's back. A win tomorrow and we're 3 pts off top. Lose and it's over, need to get some wins .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,932 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

United having now faced City, Liverpool, Chelsea, Spurs, Arsenal, and Leicester have come away with 4 Draws and 2 Losses, dare I say it's more likely that we start beating the small teams than it is for them to start beating the big ones?

City may still run away with the league, but to say we should just forget about United a game before the halfway point of the season is ludicrous.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,259 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Honestly, wouldn't at all mind giving Origi a start. He messes up the rhythm up front, but there's no rhythm to mess up right now, and at least he's a focal point.

Start him in the cup at least, tell him if he does well it's his spot to lose, and see how he does.

Well that's what I mean, Divock might not slip into the current set up all that well but the current set up is failing anyway.

Wouldn't mind seeing 4-2-3-1 against united. Let Origi play advanced but give him plenty of service in behind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Its disgusting to say but we should forget about United and focus on staying in the top four
    City and United will battle for the title not us
    By the end of February United will be at least 10 points clear of us

Win tomorrow and there is 3 points in it. Still have to play both Manchester clubs again this season. Bit early to start waving white flags I would have thought. Now if we don’t win tomorrow then it definitely doesn’t look great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

https://twitter.com/DominicKing_DM/status/1352021987099553799

Jota sounds a bit off returning. Still wearing a brace

https://twitter.com/DominicKing_DM/status/1352021654021562378

van Dijk maybe back in May?

• Advertisement

Just because we don't have any one player leading the assists leaderboards doesn't mean we don't have assists, what on earth does that even mean? :confused:

We have 21 assists accredited to our players this season, the EXACT same number as Man City.

Just very disjointed, no rhythm. Matip has 2, Henderson 1 , Shaq 1 , Ox 1 , Mane 2 ... ect .. Yea they all add up but lets get real would rather if Firmino had 7, with Mane and Salah benefiting . More goals from open play for Salah and Mane with more assists for all 3, and the wing backs. Although Robertson has 5, Trent is awful this season though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,738 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Van Dijk back for the Euros so

MD1990 wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/DominicKing_DM/status/1352021987099553799

Jota sounds a bit off returning. Still wearing a brace

https://twitter.com/DominicKing_DM/status/1352021654021562378

van Dijk maybe back in May?

I think Virgil is trying to to make it back for the Euros. I see Lovren told him to forgot about the Euros and aim for next season.

Sounds like Jota could still be a month away if he’s still going around in a brace.

I still can't see the Euros going ahead this year tbh, we're still having domestic games called off due to COVID, how are they gonna regulate a continental tournament.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Lovern said VVD told him he hopes to be back for the Euros when they met up in Saudi, Lovren also told him not to rush back and follow medical advice.

• Advertisement

Lovren '' follow medical advise, and stay clear of 5G''

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,084 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Honestly, wouldn't at all mind giving Origi a start. He messes up the rhythm up front, but there's no rhythm to mess up right now, and at least he's a focal point.

Start him in the cup at least, tell him if he does well it's his spot to lose, and see how he does.

It's actually not the worst idea. Maybe a break in rhythm would actually help things as the current rhythm is not working. I'd also throw Ox into midfield instead of Gini. 2 direct players and won't hold onto the ball too much.

Origi actually did better than expected when he came on Sunday. The ball actually stuck to his feet this time and he was even able to beat a man and win a corner at the end. He created a chance from a nothing long ball up to him.

But all my previous calls to start Origi in recent years have resulted in let downs unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Fitz* wrote: »
    It's actually not the worst idea. Maybe a break in rhythm would actually help things as the current rhythm is not working. I'd also throw Ox into midfield instead of Gini. 2 direct players and won't hold onto the ball too much.

Origi actually did better than expected when he came on Sunday. The ball actually stuck to his feet this time and he was even able to beat a man and win a corner at the end. He created a chance from a nothing long ball up to him.

But all my previous calls to start Origi in recent years have resulted in let downs unfortunately.

The way we've been playing is the weirdest thing... we keep trying to be this totally controlling force in and around their box, with almost entirely high-percentage passes being played. That's fine and all, but one of the biggest strengths of this team is that they thrive on a bit of chaos. Snapping up breaking balls, and punishing poor touches. Would love us to do a lot more driving into the box, playing a lower-percentage pass, but following up so whatever bit of chaos that occurs has someone right there ready to put their foot through it.

I think it's because they're terrified of losing the ball and getting caught on the break with our makeshift defence - but what they're doing actually increases the chances of that I think, because when we do lose the ball it's in a situation where the opposition has time to take a touch and find a man. Playing a little more chaotically means we might lose it more, but the opposition only has time to funt it long, and it comes right back to us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I don't understand this concentrating on top 4. You aim for the title and if you fall short you fall short.

rob316 wrote: »
    I don't understand this concentrating on top 4. You aim for the title and if you fall short you fall short.

Exactly. It's not like saying "forget about the league and focus on the Champions League," going for the title and going for top 4 both require the exact same thing, amassing as many points as possible, it's literally the same focus.

Exactly. It's not like saying "forget about the league and focus on the Champions League," going for the title and going for top 4 both require the exact same thing, amassing as many points as possible, it's literally the same focus.

The distinction I suppose is on whether you're happy or not at the end of it. If the goal you had in mind and kept talking about is the league, and you finish 2nd, you're gutted. If your goal is top 4 and you finish 2nd, you're happy out.

There've been years where we definitely targetted top 4, and were happy with it - however in a season like this after a season like last year, no matter how much you say 'top 4', everyone will be disappointed by anything other than top.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,258 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

it seems to me, best chance of CL qualification (right now) is to win it. if everton win their game in hand liverpool drop to 5th.

maybe ease off at the weekend as well to give ole a chance to lose another semi final (i am assuming they will get there of course) :pac:

Next 3 league games are going to tell us a huge amount about what we are going to be fighting for in the league for the remainder of the season. Burnley at home tomorrow followed by two tricky games away to Spurs and West Ham. Come out of those with 7 or 9 points and a title challenge is still very much a strong possibility. If we end up with 3, 4 or 5 points from those then we're probably scrapping for top 4.

Eh we're going to win the league easily , top 4 , ha. WTF

If Klopp is really playing for top 4 then play one up front tomorrow, and pack the midfield, play for a 0-0

• Advertisement

If Klopp is really playing for top 4 then play one up front tomorrow, and pack the midfield, play for a 0-0

At home. Against Burnley.

?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,787 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

C'mon now you should know better;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

The distinction I suppose is on whether you're happy or not at the end of it. If the goal you had in mind and kept talking about is the league, and you finish 2nd, you're gutted. If your goal is top 4 and you finish 2nd, you're happy out.

There've been years where we definitely targetted top 4, and were happy with it - however in a season like this after a season like last year, no matter how much you say 'top 4', everyone will be disappointed by anything other than top.

In that scenario I await the totes hilarious Leicester/Blackburn knee-slappin' jibes. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,827 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

id play OX night we need someone who can shoot form outside the box and we need a goal form midfield,

id play OX night we need someone who can shoot form outside the box and we need a goal form midfield,

Yeah same.

Our current play and trying to pass through the opposition is not going well at the moment so it probably wont work against a team who are experts at just shutting up shop on the edge of the box.

No harm in Ox trying a shot from distance to break up their deep stance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Fitz* wrote: »
    Yeah same.

Our current play and trying to pass through the opposition is not going well at the moment so it probably wont work against a team who are experts at just shutting up shop on the edge of the box.

No harm in Ox trying a shot from distance to break up their deep stance.

If Henderson is in defence again tonight Burnley will be attacking him with there physical forwards that is the danger tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,827 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I still can't get over looking at our fixture list from the end of November to now and thinking we have pout ourselves in a position where tonight home game with Burnley is make or break and a must win ,

We truly let this season slip away ,

That moment between Jones and Williams that lead to the Westbrom corner looks to have been a sliding doors moment ,

Its pretty much non-stop from now until the 20th March. Its going to be tough, but I think we do better with regular games, we find our rhythm. Sunday wasn't great but it was an improvement, lets continue that tonight and get back on track. No one is running away with this yet.

If Henderson is in defence again tonight Burnley will be attacking him with there physical forwards that is the danger tonight.

This is actually a game that would suit Philips IMO. Stand there, compete for aerial duals against Barnes & Wood. Win some, clear some and make sure they don't get enough of a connection to break. All he needs to do with the ball is pass it 10 yards to Thiago or Henderson and let them do the ball work.

• Advertisement

I still can't see the Euros going ahead this year tbh, we're still having domestic games called off due to COVID, how are they gonna regulate a continental tournament.

Vaccinations. Domestic games are being called off now as no players have been vaccinated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Augeo wrote: »
    Vaccinations. Domestic games are being called off now as no players have been vaccinated.

I'm sure the Lovren type footballer's who think covid is a hoax and vaccination is evil will have a thing or two to say about that... :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I mean if they're going to keep football going then at some stage they have to vacinate. I can imagine the screaming hysterical Daily Mail features about spoiled footballers skipping the queue, but there's no other group of people being asked to travel as much as them at all. Travel, we're told is unsafe, so protect them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,562 ✭✭✭celt262

I mean if they're going to keep football going then at some stage they have to vacinate. I can imagine the screaming hysterical Daily Mail features about spoiled footballers skipping the queue, but there's no other group of people being asked to travel as much as them at all. Travel, we're told is unsafe, so protect them.

Other people would like to travel aswell and get back to work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

celt262 wrote: »
    Other people would like to travel aswell and get back to work.

Indeed. But they're not travelling around Europe unvaccinated are they?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭facehugger99

With the results last night, tonight's game has become a must-win to have any hope of defending the title.

Would be very difficult to overhaul Man City if we lose or draw this evening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭ebbsy

I can see no further justification for not starting Origi this evening.

At home. Against Burnley.

?

My point is this talk of ''top 4'' is silly. But it was a genuine remark by Klopp, probably a message to the owners I think, to take blame off of him.

'' don't expect miracles this season, not with this injury list''

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

ebbsy wrote: »

He's not really done anything to justify a start in over a year, is the only thing.

The front 3 have been crap of late, but Divock has been pretty inept whenever he's gotten on the field for a while now.

It's a bit of a punt in the dark scenario just because, "it can't get any worse".

I'm still both annoyed and surprised Taki hasn't gotten any minutes since the Palace game.

Make no sense, it comes across as clutching at straws rights to find the right one.

I don't get how a pro like Firmino can't be told to get into the box, yes he drops deep, wins the ball back incredibly, turns on a dime, and plays a majestic pass out to salah..................... and then turns to the crowd '' bravo bravo''
    Eh you're work is not done, get in the 6 yard box, run run run in there!

Cavani was great last night, dropping off, playing it wide, and then he's the one on the end of it in the 6 yard box. The movement is incredible.
    But movement is just putting yourself in there, Firmino can jog last time I check.

Make no sense, it comes across as clutching at straws rights to find the right one.

I don't get how a pro like Firmino can't be told to get into the box, yes he drops deep, wins the ball back incredibly, turns on a dime, and plays a majestic pass out to salah..................... and then turns to the crowd '' bravo bravo''
    Eh you're work is not done, get in the 6 yard box, run run run in there!

Cavani was great last night, dropping off, playing it wide, and then he's the one on the end of it in the 6 yard box. The movement is incredible.
    But movement is just putting yourself in there, Firmino can jog last time I check.

He is too busy with his sunglasses range.

• Advertisement

The team tonight should be

Origi

Origi Origi Origi Origi

Origi Origi Origi

Origi Origi Origi

Subs : Origi Origi Origi Origi

Knex* wrote: »
    He's not really done anything to justify a start in over a year, is the only thing.

The front 3 have been crap of late, but Divock has been pretty inept whenever he's gotten on the field for a while now.

It's a bit of a punt in the dark scenario just because, "it can't get any worse".

I'm still both annoyed and surprised Taki hasn't gotten any minutes since the Palace game.

How often does he get to start a match with the majority of the first XI? Its hard making an impact when your giving 5 min sub appearances and thrown into 2nd/3rd string sides for cup games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭atilladehun

I agree we need a change but I don't think origi is the right change. He's never really worked in the first team. He doesn't connect with our press, his turning has gotten slower.

I'd consider a change in formation with an attacking midfielder. Ox or taki. Or milner deeper and one of the others pushed up.

Mane and Salah as a two upfront with more freedom to move.

Origi

Origi Origi Origi Origi

Origi Origi Origi

Origi Origi Origi

I'm sick of these leaked teams always getting out. Something has to be done about it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

Origi

Origi Origi Origi Origi

Origi Origi Origi

Origi Origi Origi

I'd have Trent in there to take the corners quickly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I wish I could block the phrase "must win game" along with all the pretend Liverpool fans I have already blocked.

DVDM93 wrote: »
    I'd have Trent in there to take the corners quickly.

Touche

Anyone with me on the Origi thing ?

Anyone, Anyone ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

gimli2112 wrote: »
    I wish I could block the phrase "must win game" along with all the pretend Liverpool fans I have already blocked.

If I could block a phrase it would be ‘like a new signing’.

I hate that phrase, more than I hate Coldplay, and I really really hate Coldplay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Enzokk

Oh no, Sergio Augero has tested positive for Covid. Would be a terrible shame if City had another outbreak and seeing as they still need to catch up on matches would not be able to postpone more matches and would have to play their under-23s.

Then again that might just mean United has more chance to stroll to the title seeing as we are cooked this season already.

https://twitter.com/BBCSport/status/1352262482891599874?s=20

I see Lampard is now on the chopping block, this after Ole was bound to be sacked and Arteta after him. Rodgers is heavily favoured to make a return to a big team to see what he is made of. I must say this season has been interesting at least. You cannot claim that it has not been intriguing, even if it as not been as much fun for us than the previous seasons.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement