Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2020/2021

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,463 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

doc_17 wrote: »
    The leg has to come down though. And Alison was in the way. Yeah, he played for it, but it’s still a penalty

But on Mane it was different eh... played ball out of play too, and was taking down in previous game.
    Same with handball, United get one, same exact one tonight not given.

ALways given to thoers, but not to us when it's the same exact incident

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

I can't even expect much from the Champions League at this stage. I was happy enough with the Leipzig draw, but even though they can be hit and miss themselves in the Bundesliga, i just don't fancy us to beat anybody at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,258 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

I think we need less attackers on the pitch at this point. In the first half it was Shaq getting in the way, last 10 minutes it was Minamino.

It's so woefully stiffled and ponderous right now up front. More attacking midfielders with less players up front might be the job. Incisive runners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    That only makes sense if he was to leave the season after, since the theory behind that was that he's here for the start of the rebuild, transitioning out old players and bringing in young players - which hasn't yet started.

Covid may well have thrown a spanner in the works re: spending to rebuild and pushed it back a bit. With any luck it may push back his leave date, if it was on the cards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,079 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Well it was fun while it lasted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

If they don’t loan or buy players in the next the. I donMt what the **** we’re at.
    This is emergency if we don’t get players in we not getting champions league football next year.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Bill Ponderosa

Team has been found out, all very predictable.

Still should be there or thereabouts at the end of the season but need to get motoring soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,931 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Genuinely think we'd be a better attacking unit right now if the fullbacks stayed on the halfway line, all our players are far too comfortable just passing it out wide and standing around, feels like we need to take that option away for a few games.

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I think we need less attackers on the pitch at this point. In the first half it was Shaq getting in the way, last 10 minutes it was Minamino.

It's so woefully stiffled and ponderous right now up front. More attacking midfielders with less players up front might be the job. Incisive runners.

Less attackers?

Half our attackers are empty shirts at the moment!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Bill Ponderosa

Owners need to get the checkbook out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Enzokk

The loss of VVD is massive. Add in losing Gomez as well and we lost a massive part of what made us work. Even if we had 4 extra CB's it would have hurt as VVD allows us to play a high line and allows the FB to attack and create space for the front 3. Now TAA, who is out of form, and Andy Robinson is not rampaging forward as much as they did as VVD is not at the back which means Fabinho is not in the midfield to cover as well.

We got away with it with Mane and Salah in form but once they lost their form and confidence, well this is where we are now. It is absolutely crap but it is what it is. We just have to keep working hard and hope we get some form and confidence back.

Luckily with the league as it is while we have been crap if we win 3 games in a row we will jump up the table again. So we are in a deep hole right now but there is no reason why we cannot get out of it.

As for the penalty, it was one, but only because Barnes buys it by making the contact happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,022 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

monkey9 wrote: »
    I can't even expect much from the Champions League at this stage. I was happy enough with the Leipzig draw, but even though they can be hit and miss themselves in the Bundesliga, i just don't fancy us to beat anybody at the moment.

The one positive is that the Leipzig game is still ages away, so there's some chance the form will have turned around by then. And who knows, they might have even strengthened by then (unlikely, I know).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭Pepp1989

The annoying thing for me is we got the piece of luck we were looking for tonight with Ben Mee messing up.

Divock knocks that in and who knows, lads heads lift.

He fluffed it. Heads drop. Cycle continues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

Yea, the leg barnes poked ball with, he moved it down pretty fast and KICKED alisson on the ground.

Would you stop, Alli missed the ball and took him out...its a penalty, if that was taken off us at the other end what would your reaction be?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,976 ✭✭✭doc_17

But on Mane it was different eh... played ball out of play too, and was taking down in previous game.
    Same with handball, United get one, same exact one tonight not given.

ALways given to thoers, but not to us when it's the same exact incident

I’m not saying Mane shouldn’t have had a penalty though. If you think Mane should have had a penalty then that was a penalty for Burnley. Anyway. That’s that.

• Advertisement

Team has been found out, all very predictable.

Still should be there or thereabouts at the end of the season but need to get motoring soon.

I'm glad we got that exceptional 3 season run before they were finally found out. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Agree with that. Neco for Trent was the right 3rd sub. And Neco should start the next game. How many ****e games in a row does Trent need to have?

awec wrote: »
    Less attackers?

Half our attackers are empty shirts at the moment!

There's congestion at the top of the field and it's become far too easy for the opposition in how to set up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Thought Ox was woeful. The last few starts he's had he's done nothing with the chances given.

Worst player on the pitch was easily TAA. Driving me absolutely insane trying that same dinked ball into the box every single match. Defenders will clear it 99.9% of the time.

Looks like the team run out of ideas when in the final third. No quick one-twos to pull the defenders around, just slow like molasses. Especially when teams play two banks of 4 or pack the middle.

I'm glad we got that exceptional 3 season run before they were finally found out. :confused:

Ah yeah, any 'found out' stuff is nonsense. Burnley did nothing tonight that countless teams haven't done over the past few seasons. Liverpool just weren't able to rise to the challenge like they had before.

Tonights hard, because I think we can probably all agree that this is pretty much the end of the title challenge, barring a miracle. Have to reset the expectations for the season, and hope for something in the cups, and getting a top 4 spot nailed down - which still should be in reasonably easy reach.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Fieldog wrote: »
    Not sure how we fix this though, decimated with injuries and some players in bits post covid...

What is the answer?

Looking at Klopp on the sidelines even he looks stunned by how bad they're playing. This was supposed to be the game that we got our sh1t together and started scoring again.

Im hoping we're not going to see a slide down the table that happened in Klopps final season at Dortmund. But as it stands tonight Spurs, Everton and West Ham could all leap frog us with a win in their next fixture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭klose

This team has given me the most joyous couple of seasons as a fan so I cant really complain too much, we were spoiled for a couple years and a slump was always gonna come. We'll come back into the swing of things sooner rather than later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,787 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Owners need to get the checkbook out.

Bringing in Jota and Thiago should've really bolstered the squad for the current season but failing to bring in a CB has cost us but tbh who would've thought we'd be without Gomez, Virgil and Matip at the same time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

What blows my mind more with the constant crosses, there's usually only one or two lads in the box with 4,5,6 defenders. We then have all of our other players camped outside the box.

Cross comes in, defender heads it out, we win it back, pass it sideways to the open FB, cross it again to one or two players in the box. Repeat until the keeper catches it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭mightyreds

Still dont understand why he didn't put either of the two young CB's in and move fabinho out midfield, they had 28% possession, I'd tog out myself and stand beside matip for 90 minutes just have to be alert for the one chance they will get.

So weird we were praised after the Palace game, EVERYTHING was rosy. Then that Tree goes up and everything turns to crap. Salah can't score, and everything he touches is cursed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,208 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

It is only half way through the season, 9/1 on Liverpool not a bad shout at all there folks.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Ah yeah, any 'found out' stuff is nonsense. Burnley did nothing tonight that countless teams haven't done over the past few seasons. Liverpool just weren't able to rise to the challenge like they had before.

Tonights hard, because I think we can probably all agree that this is pretty much the end of the title challenge, barring a miracle. Have to reset the expectations for the season, and hope for something in the cups, and getting a top 4 spot nailed down - which still should be in reasonably easy reach.

I don't think we're down and out yet but Klopp needs to start experimenting with his set up now. It was painful watching them toil yet again either trying to find the elusive ball through a wall of players, or twist/turn their way through a defence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,633 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

klose wrote: »
    This team has given me the most joyous couple of seasons as a fan so I cant really complain too much, we were spoiled for a couple years and a slump was always gonna come. We'll come back into the swing of things sooner rather than later.

This. I'm gonna log out of Boards for the night, but I echo the post above.

I trust Klopp and the team to reset and go again. The League is likely gone, but we'll still capture top 4 at least, maybe even second, and who knows, maybe the lad with the really big ears will come back for visit#7.

So we're not back, ,,,,,,,,,, we're Leicester ?/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

Carragher making the point I was talking about during the week. The core of this team are going into their 3/4th year together!!! The team has virtually been unchanged in the last 3 years....its needs a shaking up!! Impossible to stay so consistent for so long with the same group. Klopp needs a big summer and he has to be backed.!!!

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Looking at Klopp on the sidelines even he looks stunned by how bad they're playing. This was supposed to be the game that we got our sh1t together and started scoring again.

Im hoping we're not going to see a slide down the table that happened in Klopps final season at Dortmund. But as it stands tonight Spurs, Everton and West Ham could all leap frog us with a win in their next fixture.

Theirs was the opposite - started awful, down in the relegation zone at the halfway point, and then fought their way back up to European qualification by seasons end.

I've no doubt he'll manage to arrest the slump and stumble into 3rd or 4th, but the damage is already done for the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭McFly85

mightyreds wrote: »
    Still dont understand why he didn't put either of the two young CB's in and move fabinho out midfield, they had 28% possession, I'd tog out myself and stand beside matip for 90 minutes just have to be alert for the one chance they will get.

I was thinking this too. We may have an increased risk of conceding but at this stage we should be looking to get ourselves scoring again.

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

It is only half way through the season, 9/1 on Liverpool not a bad shout at all there folks.

I think this would be a valid point if tonight was a blip, but our form is rotten and showing no sign of improving. 4 wins in 11. 3 draws and 2 losses in the last 5. No goals in nearly 500 minutes. Fixture list in the next few weeks is more difficult than the games we just played.

Our goose is cooked for 20/21.

We are paying the price as well for not strengthening in the summer.

Carragher making the point I was talking about during the week. The core of this team are going into their 3/4th year together!!! The team has virtually been unchanged in the last 3 years....its needs a shaking up!! Impossible to stay so consistent for so long with the same group. Klopp needs a big summer and he has to be backed.!!!

That is A silly myth. We have added recently in , JOTA, THIAGO, JONES,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭klose

doc_17 wrote: »
    We are paying the price as well for not strengthening in the summer.

????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,001 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Klopp talking a good bit of **** there.

Talking as if nothing wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭CSWS101

Depends if you like to lose money. No way we win the league, we will get over the slump and should get top 4 but league is dust

• Advertisement

Interesting post match interview, taking the blame in a sense, while still pointing out what went wrong. Saying that when games like this happen it has to be because he didn't make things clear enough for what they should do and how they should play. Particularly sticking to the point of decision making, and the crossing. Also referenced players making movements after the ball has been played in instead of before, to encourage the right ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Ardent

Carrying too many passengers at the moment.

Salah is so one-footed and so one-dimensional lately - I feel like he has been figured out.

Mane looks like he has forgotten how to play football.

Firminho looks like he's done.

TAA shouldn't be allowed on the pitch on current form.

Problems, problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Charlie19 wrote: »
    Bringing in Jota and Thiago should've really bolstered the squad for the current season but failing to bring in a CB has cost us but tbh who would've thought we'd be without Gomez, Virgil and Matip at the same time.

What annoys me about that is, at the time everyone was saying we can’t sign a CB that’s happy being 3rd (or 4th choice behind Matip) when they should have been signing someone that would push to be a starter. Gomez was awful when the season started and before that he went through a bad spell but came back well.

Now or the summer is when 2CBs are needed as there’s no guarantee VVD or Gomez will come back 100%. The younger lads don’t look like they’ve got it either.
    Williams was deemed sufficient back up for TAA and he can’t get in with TAA is putting in performances that would see you dropped from a Sunday league team.

As well as new players now there’s also the need to cut the deadwood too.

...... Also referenced players making movements after the ball has been played in instead of before, to encourage the right ball.

Basic enough at this level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

True stick a tenner on and ... you’d lose the tenner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Interesting post match interview, taking the blame in a sense, while still pointing out what went wrong. Saying that when games like this happen it has to be because he didn't make things clear enough for what they should do and how they should play. Particularly sticking to the point of decision making, and the crossing. Also referenced players making movements after the ball has been played in instead of before, to encourage the right ball.

Which could also be taken as Klopp implying that his players aren’t smart enough or don’t listen to him enough, I fail to see how this is him taking the blame for it. It sounds much more like he’s laying the blame on the players and that if they followed his instructions down to a tee, that result wouldn’t have happened.

Now I’m only basing that off your post and the way you worded it, I didn’t catch the post match interview so if that’s not quite how he said it, I stand corrected.

• Advertisement

Augeo wrote: »
    Basic enough at this level.

It really is, and is so weird to watch. Lads static in the box while someone is standing outside, ball at their feet, just waiting for an option to open up.

All the regulars look more mentally drained than physically drained. Like it's too hard to keep mentally active throughout the 90 minutes. Robertson aside of the mainstays, who very notably is always watching and always moving to fill holes and give options.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Interesting post match interview, Klopp really sticking to the point of decision making. Especially the crossing, and players making movements after the ball has been played in instead of before, to encourage the right ball.

We move the ball from back to front so slowly by the time we get to the final third the opposition are set. There is now no space to run into or play balls into. This leads to us faffing about 25 yards from goal going slowly side to side, get a full back open and cross it to someone who is giving up 6 inches in height. Ball gets cleared and we do the same again.

And when we do break forward at pace our strikers are not making the defenders actually defend. They don't drive into the box to make him make a challenge or go outside him. They stop and turn around, bringing the game to a snails pace again.

Our pattern of play is known and teams aren't going to come out and press us where they know we want to be pressed. We need to modify our style to beat them but we aren't and that's on everyone involved. There's always 3,4,5 passes too many between the CBs, CMs and FBs in the middle and our third of the pitch. It's like they're waiting for the opposition to press and leave space but those days are long gone, the opposition retreats and is happy that we're taking those extra passes.

????

We didn’t sign a player that made our starting 11 better. I think that’s fairly obvious?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Gerrard has the SPL title wrapped up let's give him his dream job. First manager to win the SPL and EPL in the same season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,821 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I think the player have suffered from the Club not biying a CB
    The players know and understand its a struggle every week to get to fit players to play there,
    Not going and helping then out must have a mental effect

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement