Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2020/2021

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

i think both Mane & Salah have lost a yard of pace.

Something i noticed in Salah last season in particular.

Look at Man City last few games. Get half a yard of pace & then a pull back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,591 ✭✭✭brevity

They are all shattered both mentally and physically.

The new signings have been injured and are not able to integrate to the existing squad because a lot of them have been injured too.

Need a bit of luck over the next few games. Get to the summer and see what’s what.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,463 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

People need to chill out ,
    Questing the manger is bizzare ,

We are in really poor form and that may continue for a while but its because of injury/covid
    There is no long term problems here,

We are still dominating games we just ,missing the final ball and finish,
    if Jota was fir or we had better back up than Origig and Taki we would be fine ,

It'll be a struggle this season but long term I wouldn't be concerned,

Except on paper we look AMAZING.

Same last night, stats are incredible. Pope made world class saves.

On another day we win 3-1 easily. It was the same with United, Southampton, Newcastle, West Brom .. every game 75% or thereabouts of the ball, and in every game failed to take GREAT chances.

How can a team that is so dominant over all others not be winning. This is a freakish set of results, nothing more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,286 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

We have lost the tag of the unbearable ones I see

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭jebidiah

MD1990 wrote: »

Something i noticed in Salah last season in particular.

Look at Man City last few games. Get half a yard of pace & then a pull back.

Salah had a sprint in the United game that was top notch if I recall correctly. I don't think its pace, its just general lack of confidence and poor decision making. He cant seem to control the ball at his feet in the box though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

We have lost the tag of the unbearable ones I see

Meh ill be willing on City anyway. ABU

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭1o059k7ewrqj3n

It always makes my heart swell with joy and pride to know how much our recent success has pissed off others.

giphy.gif

ba33b7be7087148c8bf9861dd2ecdc8e381a38d1.gifv

3k7gpu.gif

200.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

MD1990 wrote: »

Hard to say. Teams are sitting so deep there is very little space to run into. Salah invariably tries to dribble past 2 or 3 defenders in a tight area. Maybe teams will have a go against us now in upcoming games and there may be more space available. Will tell us if they have slowed down or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

willabur wrote: »
    anyone else getting Klopp at dortmund towards the end vibe i.e. an inexplicable fall off the edge of a cliff turn in form

no.

He was pilfered for many of his best assets at Dortmund.

this is different.

i see why the comparison is being made, but I don't see it yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,258 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Hard to say. Teams are sitting so deep there is very little space to run into. Salah invariably tries to dribble past 2 or 3 defenders in a tight area. Maybe teams will have a go against us now in upcoming games and there may be more space available. Will tell us if they have slowed down or not.

I wish he would stop that sh1t.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

How can a team that is so dominant over all others not be winning. This is a freakish set of results, nothing more.

It's not completely freakish.

Klopp put it perfectly. 90% of the game is getting into the position to put in a telling final ball or shot to score. we're doing that ok. It's that final bit that we're abysmal at.

it's not unlucky. it's just plain bad.

but they're not bad players. it can only be confidence. someone had a clip of Mané up, and he's a perfect illustration. he's not attacking. he made one telling attack to the byline yesterday in almost the 90th minute, and it resulted in the Firmino flick that came off the line. Mané is far too happy to just take the ball, slow it down, assess option, hit it back inside, and we're attacking a 7ft wall again.

SlickRic wrote: »
    no.

He was pilfered for many of his best assets at Dortmund.

this is different.

i see why the comparison is being made, but I don't see it yet.

Indeed, it's injuries for us this season, not much more tbh. We are of course underperforming but he'll sort that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

We have been fairly **** since the Covid induced break. Our form isn't restricted to this season.

The average age of the squad argument doesn't add up in that context, i.e. we were the best team in the world for ~30 games last season before the break and went fairly stale over the break.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,821 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

SlickRic wrote: »
    It's not completely freakish.

Klopp put it perfectly. 90% of the game is getting into the position to put in a telling final ball or shot to score. we're doing that ok. It's that final bit that we're abysmal at.

it's not unlucky. it's just plain bad.

but they're not bad players. it can only be confidence. someone had a clip of Mané up, and he's a perfect illustration. he's not attacking. he made one telling attack to the byline yesterday in almost the 90th minute, and it resulted in the Firmino flick that came off the line. Mané is far too happy to just take the ball, slow it down, assess option, hit it back inside, and we're attacking a 7ft wall again.

Its a fine line lads
    If Origi score when he 100% should boom we win last night ,
    We have hit form we are 3 points off the top,

He misses by 2 inch's and ****s gone the other way ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

When did Mane decided to completely change up the way he approaches his game. Before his first instinct was to simply jink and take on his man, due to his power and pace he would beat him 8 out of 10 times. He is not even trying that anymore, if he was trying and failing you could say its a confidence thing but its so bizarre that he just stopped doing it. That was 1 of our most creative outlets, a Mane jink or else suck in a defender or 2 and play a pass to the by-line to the on rushing Robertson. It was so simple but so effective. I always felt our left side of the attack was the most threatening even though the right side gets the most praise (Trent & Salah)!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

A number of players aren't playing their way back into form and I think they have been give enough time honestly time to drop them.

Williams for TAA is a must for now.

I’d take Williams taking pots shots right now.

Mane has been woeful all season time for him to be dropped as well.

United fans have really gone of on us a bit early,

If they fail to finish above us in the league there will be some serious humble pie to be had

A number of players aren't playing their way back into form and I think they have been give enough time honestly time to drop them.

Williams for TAA is a must for now.

Mane has been woeful all season time for him to be dropped as well.

Firmino and Trent have been by far the worst for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭ebbsy

ebbsy wrote: »
    The team tonight should be

Origi

Origi Origi Origi Origi

Origi Origi Origi

Origi Origi Origi

Subs : Origi Origi Origi Origi

Told ye so lads. Bet you all feel foolish now.

Spurs game I would like to see

Milner - Philips - Matip - Robbo
    Fabinho - Henderson
    Thiago
    Salah - Origi - Mane

I picked milner as Philips is inexperienced and with Williams playing we would be far too exposed.

Kill em that way

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

rob316 wrote: »
    Spurs game I would like to see

Milner - Philips - Matip - Robbo
    Fabinho - Henderson
    Thiago
    Salah - Origi - Mane

I picked milner as Philips is inexperienced and with Williams playing we would be far too exposed.

Kill em that way

Replace Origi with Minamino and I'd be happy with that team. Obviously Philips would be a concern, but f!ck it, our current approach and form is a bigger concern, imo.

fyfe79 wrote: »
    Replace Origi with Minamino and I'd be happy with that team. Obviously Philips would be a concern, but f!ck it, our current approach and form is a bigger concern, imo.

Thought Origi did well last night, he actually tried to score. Him hitting the bar, was the symptom of a rusty player.

Why did we give Origi a new contract if we'll never play him? The lad can score, he just needs a run. And considering Firmino has been phish for about 18 months now, he should get that until Jota is back. We've tried playing Firmino into form, it doesn't work, time to play someone else into form.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,258 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Origi at least showed a burst of pace to beat a man and get a shot out. That's better than what the main 3 have been offering lately. I would argue that he's just getting up to speed on match fitness also given he showed a marked improvement from the previous game. Not problem with him starting again.

Origi at least showed a burst of pace to beat a man and get a shot out. That's better than what the main 3 have been offering lately.

He has plenty to offer, but he won't get another start next week, we'll be watching Firmino make lazy pass after lazy pass.

Im not sure how anyone can want Origi to start,

Have you not watched him for the last 2 years ?

Time and time against he is absolutely woeful , no go no aggression , break up our attacks, cant head a ball ,the ndon;lt get me started on th chance he missed,

Also there is no way in hell Fab plays in midfield again this season,
    Its unfortunate but its not happing ,

Thought Origi did well last night, he actually tried to score. Him hitting the bar, was the symptom of a rusty player.

Why did we give Origi a new contract if we'll never play him? The lad can score, he just needs a run. And considering Firmino has been phish for about 18 months now, he should get that until Jota is back. We've tried playing Firmino into form, it doesn't work, time to play someone else into form.

I'd have no real issue with Origi starting, tbf. I just prefer Minamino. I do think Firmino needs dropping, justifiably, for consistently poor performances.

Also there is no way in hell Fab plays in midfield again this season,
    Its unfortunate but its not happing ,

Playing our best players in their best positions would be a good start. Fab has been great at CB but your still playing the best DM in the league out of position.

Playing our best players in their best positions would be a good start. Fab has been great at CB but your still playing the best DM in the league out of position.

It would be but when you have no fit capable CB's what can you do,

Origi was far from the worst last night. Had 2 shots on target. Hit the bar (granted should have scored). Generally his touch looked good. Certainly seen him have many far worse games.

• Advertisement

Origi was far from the worst last night. Had 2 shots on target. Hit the bar (granted should have scored). Generally his touch looked good. Certainly seen him have many far worse games.

He had two shots both of which we all knew had no chance of going in,
    He missed an absolute sitter that lost us our first game in nearly 4 years at home,

No excuse that was woeful

He missed an absolute sitter that lost us our first game in nearly 4 years at home,

He hasn't had any game time, that was his 3rd league appearance this season and first start. You just can not play Firmino as of right now, he is a shadow of himself.

It would be but when you have no fit capable CB's what can you do,

Matip is fit for now so put him with Philips. We will not improve putting square pegs into round holes.

Matip is fit for now so put him with Philips. We will not improve putting square pegs into round holes.

Philips is no where near the level required ,

before last night Origi has played the following in the league

1 min against Leicester
    5 min against United
    6 min against Fulham
    1 min against West Brom

Considering the form of our forward players he is been totally underused.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,108 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Since when is a one on one with a keeper considered a sitter?

Seriously, get over this Origi hard-on you have, you're driving me soft. There were a lot worse than him last night. :D

Personally, I'd have absolutely no problem not seeing Bobby for a few games. He's just not a finisher and the way we are basically camped in opposition box's he's redundant/ineffective afaiac.

FSG have a decision now spend money now on a CB or risk missing out on the Champions League next season and lose that money.

Since when is a one on one with a keeper considered a sitter?

Seriously, get over this Origi hard-on you have, you're driving me soft. There were a lot worse than him last night. :D

Personally, I'd have absolutely no problem not seeing Bobby for a few games. He's just not a finisher and the way we are basically camped in opposition box's he's redundant/ineffective afaiac.

Not sure if you serious ?

The ran about 15-20 yards with time to set himself and for once Pope was poor he never came out and left Origi with loads of room either side, I

Origi to me is a waste of time ,he has been done since that goal v Spurs ,
    When was the last time you seen him play well ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,022 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

before last night Origi has played the following in the league

1 min against Leicester
    5 min against United
    6 min against Fulham
    1 min against West Brom

Considering the form of our forward players he is been totally underused.

Was a kinda funny line from the commentator who was trying to make the case of Origi being on a goal drought, but seemed to convince himself otherwise by the time he finished the stat - "he's not scored in the league since... well, since the last league game he started".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

"I cannot decide if we do something in the transfer market or not," said Klopp.

Following Liverpool's 1-0 defeat to Burnley in the Premier League at Anfield on Thursday night, the German manager said "these decisions are not my decisions".

When asked on Friday to clarify what he meant, before Liverpool's FA Cup fourth-round tie with Manchester United on Sunday, Klopp added: "Of course somebody else is making the decisions. It was always like this.

"We discuss the situation pretty much on a daily basis, could we improve something or not and we make recommendations but I cannot spend the money. I never did.

"I don't want to confuse anybody. I just said what I said."

from the beeb

Obviously we have issues (its been there for all to see since we lost both Joe and Virgil), and we'd all love to sign someone to help try to solve the issue. I'm assuming this is Jurgen putting some pressure on the transfer committee/higher-ups to make that signing happen in the next week.

Philips is no where near the level required ,

Our midfield is currently nowhere near the level required. I'd rather we got one section of the pitch right and than 2 wrong. Philips did fine against West Ham and Brighton.

They definitely should be looking to sign Militao on loan since Madrid want him out

Keeping VVD and Gomez in the premier league squad list is not doing anybody any favours.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,419 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Mod: I have moved some posts to the appropriate thread and I am reviewing the original post generating the replies.

Liverpool really getting the rough end of VAR as well this season. On top of everything.

https://twitter.com/DaleJohnsonESPN/status/1352632082904866819

https://twitter.com/DaleJohnsonESPN/status/1352632402066239490

I said before we need a fox in the box striker in the squad.

If Ings was still here he would had a hat full of goals over the last few games with the amount of balls that they were putting into the box.

Bobby was never a natural striker, Salah & Mane and both wide players not strikers, Origi just doesn't have the minutes and isn't a natural striker.

Liverpool's squad doesn't have a purely natural striker in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,022 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I said before we need a fox in the box striker in the squad.

If Ings was still here he would had a hat full of goals over the last few games with the amount of balls that they were putting into the box.

Bobby was never a natural striker, Salah & Mane and both wide players not strikers, Origi just doesn't have the minutes and isn't a natural striker.

Liverpool's squad doesn't have a purely natural striker in it.

I think Origi actually is that sort of player - perhaps not a fox in the box exactly, but a natural striker. But as you say, he's not playing anywhere near enough so is perennially rusty.

The problem is that we're so dogmatic in how we play that there's no room for someone like that to get games. A natural striker like RVN or Super Pippo doesn't want to keep recycling possession, they want to get it and shoot every time, which is at odds with what we do as a team, and turns them into more of a stumbling block than an asset. Different situation, but remember Morientes for us - was a shadow of himself, because he was forced to play our game rather than his own. Spent most of his time 20 yards further from goal than where he really needed to be.

You're right though, we do need that option. And I think that's why Origi has been kept this long, as that different option to turn to when you get desperate - but it's a big ask for someone like that to be at their sharpest when the circumstances demand it, after waiting for months without proper first team games.

Jota is a decent alternative at least though - in that he offers a bit of both.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

It's amazing how quickly our form has completely stalled, I think we were 5 points up after beating Palace 7-0 and since then we've gone from the best team in the league to almost the worst, only Newcastle and Wolves have been worse. The league is obviously long gone now and top 4 will be a struggle if we don't get our act together soon.
    It's not that we were playing outstanding until Christmas, but, we were getting results. We have been unlucky with injuries, but, it's more than that now, our forwards are in desperate form even struggling to hit the target, of the front 3 only Salah has played well and now that his form has dipped it's very noticeable how poor Firmino and Mane are playing, I think Jota's good form until his injury disguised how poor Firmino and Mane were earlier in the season. Until Jota gets back or Mo's form returns I don't think our form will change. It might be worth bringing Elliott back from his loan spell to inject some life into the forward line, Minamino, Origi and Shaqiri should be used more too, they can't really do much worse than what we've seen in the last month

I think Klopp should look at making Matip and Philips the regular CB partnership against mid and lower half table teams and swap in Fabinho for the CL and games against the top 6 sides or whenever Matip gets injured again. At least get a few games out of Fabinho in midfield. I don't really see this happening however, as I think Fabinho will remain at CB for the rest of the season.

Would be great to get a result against United at the weekend, but, it's not looking good, it's typical that in the middle of our worst form for years we play United twice in a week. A win would be a huge boost and might get us back on track.

Girly Gal wrote: »
    It's amazing how quickly our form has completely stalled, I think we were 5 points up after beating Palace 7-0 and since then we've gone from the best team in the league to almost the worst, only Newcastle and Wolves have been worse. The league is obviously long gone now and top 4 will be a struggle if we don't get our act together soon.
    It's not that we were playing outstanding until Christmas, but, we were getting results. We have been unlucky with injuries, but, it's more than that now, our forwards are in desperate form even struggling to hit the target, of the front 3 only Salah has played well and now that his form has dipped it's very noticeable how poor Firmino and Mane are playing, I think Jota's good form until his injury disguised how poor Firmino and Mane were earlier in the season. Until Jota gets back or Mo's form returns I don't think our form will change. It might be worth bringing Elliott back from his loan spell to inject some life into the forward line, Minamino, Origi and Shaqiri should be used more too, they can't really do much worse than what we've seen in the last month

I think Klopp should look at making Matip and Philips the regular CB partnership against mid and lower half table teams and swap in Fabinho for the CL and games against the top 6 sides or whenever Matip gets injured again. At least get a few games out of Fabinho in midfield. I don't really see this happening however, as I think Fabinho will remain at CB for the rest of the season.

Would be great to get a result against United at the weekend, but, it's not looking good, it's typical that in the middle of our worst form for years we play United twice in a week. A win would be a huge boost and might get us back on track.

Don't necessarily think the league is gone myself. 6 behind Utd, 7 behind City (if they win their game in hand). This is a mental season... who's to say either of those 2 clubs couldn't have a bad patch similar to ours? We've seen Ole go on terrible runs of form, and we've seen City throw in random defeats - they're also missing their 2 best players (KDB and Aguero) for the next while so who knows? We also have to play both again this season.... true 6-pointers right there. Nobody saw our bad run of form coming, yet here we are. Utd and City could lose form too.

Needless to say we need to get our act together VERY quickly and go on a great run but it's still achievable. We're only halfway through the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,633 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

fyfe79 wrote: »
    Don't necessarily think the league is gone myself. 6 behind Utd, 7 behind City (if they win their game in hand). This is a mental season... who's to say either of those 2 clubs couldn't have a bad patch similar to ours? We've seen Ole go on terrible runs of form, and we've seen City throw in random defeats - they're also missing their 2 best players (KDB and Aguero) for the next while so who knows? We also have to play both again this season.... true 6-pointers right there. Nobody saw our bad run of form coming, yet here we are. Utd and City could lose form too.

Needless to say we need to get our act together VERY quickly and go on a great run but it's still achievable. We're only halfway through the season.

Said this last night, Liverpool will finish ahead of United this season.
    It's City that are the danger, maybe they'll concentrate on the Champions League later? Otherwise, it's theirs to lose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,562 ✭✭✭celt262

Said this last night, Liverpool will finish ahead of United this season.
    It's City that are the danger, maybe they'll concentrate on the Champions League later? Otherwise, it's theirs to lose.

Don't right of the Leicester

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement