Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2020/2021

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

celt262 wrote: »
    Don't right of the Leicester

Leicester, without Vardy for a few weeks, will suddenly find teams committing quite a bit more going forward without the threat of him on the counter attack. Even when he’s not scoring goals, he’s creating space for teammates and the likes of Barnes and Maddison take full advantage of that bit more space.

Rodgers is an excellent manager in my book so I’m not saying he won’t find a way to keep the good results coming, but they’re entering a pivotal stage of their season and it could go very badly for them if they don’t adapt well. Vardy is a class act and only the top teams can cope well with losing a player of that quality for a decent spell. He’s never missed any serious time before so it’ll be interesting to see how it pans out for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,463 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

United have Europa League to deal with?? Still in that are they.
    That's always a hindering competition when it comes to League form. I still think we are fine, stats over these last few games are great.
    Purely down to finishing the chances and hitting the target. We're like a blind man playing darts at the minute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

I'm watching the Gladbach - Dortmund match and i'm sad to report that Emre Can has ruined his magnificant hair by growing it into a ponytail.

Also, i wish we'd sign Erling Haaland. I'd hate to see him at City or Chelsea. He's going to be an absolute monster in the Premier League.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭atilladehun

Definitely don't think the league is gone. This is the week before Christmas in terms of the league position.

So much to happen before the end

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

fyfe79 wrote: »
    Don't necessarily think the league is gone myself. 6 behind Utd, 7 behind City (if they win their game in hand). This is a mental season... who's to say either of those 2 clubs couldn't have a bad patch similar to ours? We've seen Ole go on terrible runs of form, and we've seen City throw in random defeats - they're also missing their 2 best players (KDB and Aguero) for the next while so who knows? We also have to play both again this season.... true 6-pointers right there. Nobody saw our bad run of form coming, yet here we are. Utd and City could lose form too.

Needless to say we need to get our act together VERY quickly and go on a great run but it's still achievable. We're only halfway through the season.

Our form is so poor it's difficult to see use win enough games to stay in contention, we probably can only afford to drop no more than 10 points between now and the end of the season and need to beat all our direct rivals which on current form is hard to see. City have already had their bad patch at the start of the season and have straightened things up, KDB will be a huge loss, but, they're not conceding goals and are creating chances. United are unpredictable, I don't see them winning the league, but, didn't think they'd be where they are now, so anything's possible with them, wining it or totally imploding. Leicester cannot be counted out either, Vardy missing is obviously a blow.

We have a slim chance at this stage, we would need to go on a long winning streak beginning with Spurs which is highly unlikely given our form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,079 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Big gamble by FSG miss top 4 and it will cost the club more money longterm.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,258 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

On the surface signing Jota and Thiago seemed like lofty spending but that was after two years of penny pinching during our most lucrative run as a club financially.

The thoughts of them telling Klopp there's no money while hiding behind the excuse of the virus is sickening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

that is very very worrying.

Dont make top 4 & we may struggle to keep our best players.

Considering we have spent little in nearly 3 years & having huge success. Wage bill is very high but lack of money for transfers is very disapointing.

I hope FSG look for investment & we dont turn out like the Red Sox

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

You have to be mental not to back him. I really don't like reading those headlines. Miss out on top 4 and it will cost alot more than the cost of a centre half.

• Advertisement

Trump has 75m voters, and can raise 300m from them in a few weeks. Liverpool have probably 1/2 a billion fans worldwide and there is no means to help.
    If Liverpool was a social media website it would be a failure. We never take advantage of the people power this club has, in reality we should have 500m to spend every year, if you tap into that people power like social media users do. Sad .

Fact, if Klopp came out tomorrow with a request to raise money, and a way to donate, we'd have 200m in 2 days.

If they are willing to risk CL football next season by not even getting a CB in on loan, then I can't see them spending much in the summer either, it probably means at least one of Mane or Salah will be sold on in the summer, of the 2 I'd prefer to keep Salah.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,022 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Fact, if Klopp came out tomorrow with a request to raise money, and a way to donate, we'd have 200m in 2 days.

And that would be the end of me supporting Liverpool for one anyway.

You've pitched this idea a fair few times before - there is literally no worse cause for raising money than to get the working man to pay a rich club hundreds of millions so they can pay rich players massive wages, with nothing in return.

If you want to donate, go buy a jersey. Sign up to LFC.tv. Clubs are not charities.

On the surface signing Jota and Thiago seemed like lofty spending but that was after two years of penny pinching during our most lucrative run as a club financially.

The thoughts of them telling Klopp there's no money while hiding behind the excuse of the virus is sickening.

Alison & VVD were the club spending their wad in advance. It worked well to be fair... A CL & a PL.

Glico Man wrote: »
    from the beeb

Obviously we have issues (its been there for all to see since we lost both Joe and Virgil), and we'd all love to sign someone to help try to solve the issue. I'm assuming this is Jurgen putting some pressure on the transfer committee/higher-ups to make that signing happen in the next week.
    Fitz* wrote: »

Wasn't it always this way but he was obviously happier when we didn't have VVD injured.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

Girly Gal wrote: »
    If they are willing to risk CL football next season by not even getting a CB in on loan, then I can't see them spending much in the summer either, it probably means at least one of Mane or Salah will be sold on in the summer, of the 2 I'd prefer to keep Salah.

The problem for them is nobody would pay what Liverpool feel Salah is worth. Very niche player.

We are a sell to buy club and that was before Covid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

~Rebel~ wrote: »

You've pitched this idea a fair few times before - there is literally no worse cause for raising money than to get the working man to pay a rich club hundreds of millions so they can pay rich players massive wages, with nothing in return.

If you want to donate, go buy a jersey. Sign up to LFC.tv. Clubs are not charities.

Ah come on Toby posted this.

rob316 wrote: »
    Ah come on Toby posted this.

That's as may be, but I'm still gonna call out bad/dangerous ideas if I see 'em.

We've seen a lot of late how bad ideas and concepts can take hold, like covid deniers, 5g mast crazies, election fraud claimers (of which Tobes is one), etc etc, so, y'know, maybe better to nip somethin' in the bud sooner rather than later sometimes!

• Advertisement

Blanco100 wrote: »
    The problem for them is nobody would pay what Liverpool feel Salah is worth. Very niche player.

We are a sell to buy club and that was before Covid

I don't want Salah to go, so be happy if he stays. I actually think Mane would benefit from a move, he doesn't look happy at the club and hasn't for a while, so would be happy to let him go if the right offer came in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

That's as may be, but I'm still gonna call out bad/dangerous ideas if I see 'em.

We've seen a lot of late how bad ideas and concepts can take hold, like covid deniers, 5g mast crazies, election fraud claimers (of which Tobes is one), etc etc, so, y'know, maybe better to nip somethin' in the bud sooner rather than later sometimes!

Are you saying you think our Toby is capable of igniting an internet-based wildfire of lies and misinformation?

No need to answer that of course. I’ll be the first in line to buy a “Fund ‘Em That Way” t-shirt when it happens though.

I see it as making a difference, a sense of helping.

Look at those OFs users. They play the whole strength in numbers game, ok they might only charge 15.00 a month, but with only 2000 subs they make 30k a month.

The likes of facebook don't feel a sense of greed making money on the backs of the millions who use their site... same as youtube,, tik tok,,.
    It's strange that clubs don't use people power for transfer funds. I think clubs don't do it through fear of the look of it.
    But if it's purely there if fans want to donate then I don't see what's so bad about it.
    Could be donate windows, between transfer windows. When one opens the other closes.

If it was there the fans worldwide would have had money in the pot for defenders in Jan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,108 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

My phone is hopping the last few days, the opposition are rightly getting their digs in.

Personally I think we'll be the last ones laughing, but you never know the way this crazy season is going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

I don't want Salah to go, so be happy if he stays. I actually think Mane would benefit from a move, he doesn't look happy at the club and hasn't for a while, so would be happy to let him go if the right offer came in.

What gives you the idea that Mane is unhappy?

Salah is the only one who has discussed leaving in interviews but only when asked about it...

I don't think many players are happy currently playing in front of no fans, but it would be the same in 90% of the countries he could go to if he did move at the moment anyway...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

If it was there the fans worldwide would have had money in the pot for defenders in Jan.

Kind of naive reasoning there. If that model proved to work, everyone would be at it. So every club would have money in the pot. More money in the game, richer players and richer agents, no net difference. It certainly doesn't mean we end up with more money in the pot in Jan to buy a CB.

..........If that model proved to work, everyone would be at it...............

Yeah, easy way to get around FFP also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

My phone is hopping the last few days, the opposition are rightly getting their digs in.

Personally I think we'll be the last ones laughing, but you never know the way this crazy season is going.

End of season will be Liverpool/City one and two in whatever order. Any other clubs fans getting digs in are being very shortsighted

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭ballyargus

Iago wrote:
    End of season will be Liverpool/City one and two in whatever order. Any other clubs fans getting digs in are being very shortsighted

I'd love to believe you, but we are in a serious slump, we've thrown points away and now go into a tough series of fixtures understrength (as we were), lacking in morale, and with our manager not exactly exuding the kind of positivity we need right now.

We'll right it, but it may be a case of damage limitation for now and then kick on further down the road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,104 ✭✭✭mada999

United fans have really gone of on us a bit early,

If they fail to finish above us in the league there will be some serious humble pie to be had

i've never seen anything like it... friends of mine signing up to closed FB Liverpool groups etc... so sad to be fair.... (id say there's people like that who support all teams though).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

mada999 wrote: »
    i've never seen anything like it... friends of mine signing up to closed FB Liverpool groups etc... so sad to be fair.... (id say there's people like that who support all teams though).

Kind of sadness similar to creating account's on forum's pretending to be Liverpool fans to come in here and stoke flame's, them kind of fan's...

And some still active right under our noses, eh? ;)

Not to mention the boards 'lads'on twitter tweeting about folk from here... Sad as fnck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

Whatever else is happening, we always (sometimes) have Joel to cheer us up

https://twitter.com/i/status/1352585071228825601

Fieldog wrote: »
    What gives you the idea that Mane is unhappy?

Salah is the only one who has discussed leaving in interviews but only when asked about it...

I don't think many players are happy currently playing in front of no fans, but it would be the same in 90% of the countries he could go to if he did move at the moment anyway...

He wasn't happy when replaced by Salah against Palace and has been very poor since, maybe he's still suffering the after effects of Covid. He's definitely not himself, as I said before if one of Salah or Mane are to go this summer, I'd prefer it to be Mane, he'd be easier to replace than Salah

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭atilladehun

He wasn't happy when replaced by Salah against Palace and has been very poor since, maybe he's still suffering the after effects of Covid. He's definitely not himself, as I said before if one of Salah or Mane are to go this summer, I'd prefer it to be Mane, he'd be easier to replace than Salah

I don't think he wants out but I do think he's having a rough time He seems to be living on his own at some stage in the last year too, which can't be helping him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Mad stats I saw.

Liverpool account for 24% of all goals disallowed in the PL this season.

And Liverpool have already equaled the season high for goals disallowed across the whole of last season.

Mad stats I saw.

And Liverpool have already equaled the season high for goals disallowed across the whole of last season.

Just coincidence they say. It's hard to take when a handball is giving to one team, and exact same, no even worse handball is not given to us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Mad stats I saw.

The gas thing is those figures don't take into account when the likes of Mane and Salah are immediately flagged offside, whistle blown, without even leaving play on and checking the possible goal on VAR after. It was noticeable in the Utd game when Rashford was allowed continue towards goal whenever he was offside, which was often.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,079 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

The gas thing is those figures don't take into account when the likes of Mane and Salah are immediately flagged offside, whistle blown, without even leaving play on and checking the possible goal on VAR after. It was noticeable in the Utd game when Rashford was allowed continue towards goal whenever he was offside, which was often.

Yeah it's weird. You see in one game that the linesman leave their flags down even when it's a blatant offside and they 'let play develop' as VAR can check it if a goal is scored. ok grand I can get that. But then next time it's a borderline call and their flag is up straight away and the player could be onside but it's not checked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

They change the emphasis with regard to certain officiating during the season. Probably did so again after those examples!

What do we make of FSG story in Mirror? No money, Klopp wanted to buy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,787 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Augeo wrote: »
    Not to mention the boards 'lads'on twitter tweeting about folk from here... Sad as fnck

I was a little curious to this so I searched boards.ie liverpool on twitter and I found this cracker from 2009.

https://twitter.com/Sophia_97455/status/162861740458115073?s=19

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Origi was far from the worst last night. Had 2 shots on target. Hit the bar (granted should have scored). Generally his touch looked good. Certainly seen him have many far worse games.

He's the only one who looked to sprint in the box to get open prior to the cross coming in. Did it in the first half and Trent put a decent ball into the front post that just go sniffed out.

Beside that, all I remember is hopeful crossed punted into nobody, or players who are largely reactive rather than proactive.

The club and Nike are releasing a 4th kit.

Yet no money to buy a CB.

Screenshot-2021-01-04-at-10.43.38.png

What do we make of FSG story in Mirror? No money, Klopp wanted to buy.

Can't fathom how they'd not sanction a few quid for a stop gap or loan CB... Unless klopp only wanted expensive options. We aren't getting full story.

Can't fathom how they'd not sanction a few quid for a stop gap or loan CB... Unless klopp only wanted expensive options. We aren't getting full story.

Seems a bit odd alright... a low outlay on a loan option or half decent backup could yield much more in title winnings, gaining top 4, gaining an extra round or two in the CL, or even just the difference between one league place and another.

It’s the opposite of a frivolous buy like, it’s like having a Ferrari but not bothering to buy the brake pedal.

I can't understand why they haven't brought someone in on loan, financially it's the cheapest option, plus from a footballing side it strengthens the team, frees up Fabinho for midfield when Matip is available and if the player does well we could sign him in the summer, if he doesn't perform we don't, it's a no brainer really, but, for some reason it doesn't look like happening. The cost of not getting a CB in will be massive if we miss out on CL football next season, plus will all those CBs who will apparently be available next summer (but not now?) want to join us anymore.

Sokratis will be 33 this year give him an 18 month contract use him for the rest of this season and then Andy Lonergan him next season for emergencies and if someone comes in for him in the summer let him off.

I would also add he played for Klopp knows how Klopp likes to play and would no the patterns of play and should be able to jump straight in.

If they signed a player from Europe they maybe two weeks quarantine before they start training and then another few weeks to get up to speed with Klopp and the teams playing patterns.

A home game against West Ham for the winners tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Which lower league side did City get?

• Advertisement

Which lower league side did City get?

Cheltenham Town today and Swansea in the next round

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement