Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2020/2021

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,407 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

We need a CB that isn't Fabinho. He needs to be put back in midfield ASAP.

Very frustrating to be a Liverpool fan at the moment. Shades of a team from a few years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,984 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Matip is gonna get injured regardless of how much we protect him, the lad would break his ankle stepping out of bed, as far as I'm concerned just play him when he's available. No amount of rest will cure his injury proneness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭klose

Atleast Nat Phillips had season playing in a promotion winning stuttgart team, I don't see why he gets no time and Williams does? Hate to be harsh on young players, and playing at that age at centre back is a fairly thankless job but he should be taken out of the team for a while now.

On the whole, atleast we scored and played better than recently, our next few games are going to be hard going but I think Klopp should ring in changes, trent really needs some time out and not sure why taki isn't getting a look in here. Biggest issue is out two best midfilders not playing, untill we get a centre back on or vvd or gomez get back we are in for a lean spell here. Genuine risk of missing out on top 4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Played quite well in large parts especially the 30 minutes before the final goal. But can’t afford to give away such cheap goals. United didn’t have to do much for their last two goals.

This.

A decent performance overall, lost to an individual mistake by a player that shouldn't be near the team to be honest, and a gimme free kick that wasn't a foul.

Signs of life, attacking play was improved, looked sharper. The biggest disappointment was the inability to stop the counter attack, you saw how to do it when United were ahead, foul foul foul.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

I'd be happy enough with that performance, looked more like ourselves. Defence needs sorting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

Poor defending & stupid fouls around the box, what happens when your three main CBs aren’t playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Augme wrote: »
    At least salah and firminio might get a bit of confidence for the spurs game. Not pushed on going out but we need a big improvement for the Spurs game. Two goals is st least a step in the right direction.

Feel sorry for Williams more than anything else. A lad that young and of his calibre shouldn't be called upon to play a game like that. Klopp and the owners take the blame for that.

I don't think it's as simple as blaming Klopp and the owners but No one should be too hard on Williams though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Not sure I saw Mane once after he came on either.

He's been a problem for a while now, I think. Really out of form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,853 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

darced wrote: »
    I'd be happy enough with that performance, looked more like ourselves. Defence needs sorting.

United were poor at the back, I wouldn't be too happy. United deserved to win but neither team were brilliant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,322 ✭✭✭emo72

What's the point in buying a centre back now when we should have bought one beginning of January? We need one then. We've been ****e since.

• Advertisement

That game didn't tell us anything we didn't already know, the most we can hope is that it just reinforced some very clear issues in the eyes of management.

• Administrators Posts: 54,184 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

He was the same as he’s been for the past few weeks. Poor decisions, got shouldered off the ball a few times which is unlike him.

Oh you missed the high studs tackle did you? Keane and Batty mid 90s would have been so proud

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,199 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Blanco100 wrote: »
    The balance sheet will look mighty and Melissa Reddy/James Pearce will write a fluff piece about being the smartest club in the market.

Feels like I’m reading this comment once a day..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Nalz wrote: »
    Oh you missed the high studs tackle did you? Keane and Batty mid 90s would have been so proud

High studs? Not sure I saw that one, did see him win a ball and the follow through catch a player on the ankle, is that the one you are talking about? Shaw would have been so proud!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭SM01

Gotta feel for Williams. He should not be anywhere near this team. He hasn't the strength in his young frame and his lack of speed is not suited to the way we play. With his experience he should be making cameos in the league cup at most.One feels that the makeshift CB (Fab) had to spend the game with one eye on Rhys.

Klopp shouldn't be in the position where he has to play him either. He must be so frustrated at the predicament.

Also feel Allison was a bit complacent. Granted he's a top notch keeper, but seemed a bit sloppy today, and felt the free should've been kept out.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Feels like I’m reading this comment once a day..

It's nonsense too, don't know about Pearce but Reddy at least constantly mentions what our CB woes are doing to the team

https://twitter.com/MelissaReddy_/status/1351132312495386625?s=20

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61,012 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Pearce has been shouting since start of the season and the transfer window closed that not getting in a CB was a terrible decision

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,574 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

awec wrote: »
    Of course the wall didn’t play a part. They scored on the keepers side.

The wall doesn’t cover the entire goal.

Yea it should, the angle of wall was wrong. And the position of those not in wall was wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭.G.

Probably the first game since we lost the centre backs that actually cost us goals and a game. Shame for the kid but we gave him no protection because the focus for Trent was on trying to get his attacking game working again and we didn't have Hendo doing his usual covering job there. Was some decent attacking play there today though so hopefully we can build on that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,325 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Far far better but not good enough still. Klopps late subs killed the game taking Firmino and thiago off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

klose wrote: »
    Atleast Nat Phillips had season playing in a promotion winning stuttgart team, I don't see why he gets no time and Williams does? Hate to be harsh on young players, and playing at that age at centre back is a fairly thankless job but he should be taken out of the team for a while now.

On the whole, atleast we scored and played better than recently, our next few games are going to be hard going but I think Klopp should ring in changes, trent really needs some time out and not sure why taki isn't getting a look in here. Biggest issue is out two best midfilders not playing, untill we get a centre back on or vvd or gomez get back we are in for a lean spell here. Genuine risk of missing out on top 4.
    Yeah, someone said earlier that Williams is younger with potential but that would only matter if you’re including him in full strength XI teams. Phillips would have cut that ball out and that’s the crux of the matter.

Is Steven Caulker still floating around somewhere?

Yea it should, the angle of wall was wrong. And the position of those not in wall was wrong.

The wall was fine. The wall plays no part if they go to the far post.

Pogba and Thiago blocked Allisons view and it was genuinely an excellent free kick. Plenty of power right into the side netting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,210 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

A lot of similarities between the Lindelof/Origi incident last season at OT and Fabinho/Cavani today. Typical the same outcome is not given for both.

razorblunt wrote: »
    Yeah, someone said earlier that Williams is younger with potential but that would only matter if you’re including him in full strength XI teams. Phillips would have cut that ball out and that’s the crux of the matter.

Is Steven Caulker still floating around somewhere?

Williams has no real potential.

You can’t coach pace.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

They should have had a CB ready to sign on Jan 1. We probably needed one even before any injuries but to not get one in after both first choice CB’s receive long term injuries is just negligent. I’m sure there are plenty of promising young CB’s out that wouldn’t cost a fortune and wouldn’t demand a huge wage either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

Was it mis communication or why was Allison and the wall covering the same side of the goals...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭.G.

I think a lot of our recent issues, aside from bad finishing has been because we've tried to protect the makeshift defence more which means dropping deeper and less pressing high up the pitch which obviously has an affect on our attacking output.

Maybe we should just go back to 17-18 type footy , throw caution to the wind and go for all out attack if we aren't buying a centre half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Really saw some flashes of good play in the second half there. The fact that I felt like we could have won it at 2-2 was a familiar and welcome feeling again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Was it mis communication or why was Allison and the wall covering the same side of the goals...

Allison took a step back towards the wall side just before it was taken. Must have thought he was going to try and clip it over the wall. Left himself too much space to cover the far side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Pearce has been shouting since start of the season and the transfer window closed that not getting in a CB was a terrible decision

The only logical reason I can think of for not replacing Lovren last Summer was that we had a budget for two of a midfielder, defender and forward but not all 3.

Given the way things have turned out for Thiago so far, I can't say prioritising midfield over defence is looking too good at this point.

High studs? Not sure I saw that one, did see him win a ball and the follow through catch a player on the ankle, is that the one you are talking about? Shaw would have been so proud!!

U k?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,755 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Nalz wrote: »
    U k?

It wasn't a red,end of

At least we didn't pay 80 something mill for our ropey defender!

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

It wasn't a red,end of

Could have easily been a red. Studs up. Ref gave yous everything and you still couldn't win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,755 ✭✭✭giveitholly

MattS1 wrote: »
    Could have easily been a red. Studs up. Ref gave yous everything and you still couldn't win.

But it wasn't a red

He let things flow a little bit too much I'd agree there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭mightyreds

He didn't give us a free when cavani dived but sure you won't see by your obvious bias

mightyreds wrote: »
    He didn't give us a free when cavani dived but sure you won't see by your obvious bias

Because it wasn't a dive?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Oh hello.

• Advertisement

But it wasn't a red

Yes good observation. That's why I said could. It's the conditional tense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,199 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Interesting comment on the back of how the winning goal came about...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Technophobe

If that’s a yellow I’d have been sent off every game. Nothing wrong with it.

Username checks out..

___________Alisson__________

____Trent__Fabinho_Robertson

_________Henderson_________

Firmino__________________Jones

____Gini___________Thiago______

_______Salah___Mane___________

Kill em that way

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

I'm assuming people now understand why klopp played henderson CB last week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,328 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,338 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

You should say yous more it really accentuates your insightful posts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,372 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

I can't even get mad at Rhys Williams, or even Fabinho for falling for the Cavani move on the free.

FSG are fúcking us now.

No serious club can keep going without 2 of our best CBs to long term injury. And another who can't be relied upon.

It's a joke.

Today's performance was fine. Not incredible, but not bad. But more than enough to beat that Utd team. Honestly. But you cannot prevail without CBs.

I get that we always want to buy for the future, or at least for a couple of years. And I get that they don't want to buy a top tier CB if 2 will be back soon. But these are exceptional fúcking circumstances. Williams is shít. Phillips is shít. Fabinho is our best DM and can't play there. When Hendo is injured or needs a rest, our midfield is fúcked defensively because we can't put Fabinho in. A CB must be purchased in. And now.

This needs to be a wakeup call. We win that game with a functioning CB, and by association, midfield.

:)

• Advertisement

SlickRic wrote: »
    I can't even get mad at Rhys Williams, or even Fabinho for falling for the Cavani move on the free.

FSG are fúcking us now.

No serious club can keep going without 2 of our best CBs to long term injury. And another who can't be relied upon.

It's a joke.

Today's performance was fine. Not incredible, but not bad. But more than enough to beat that Utd team. Honestly. But you cannot prevail without CBs.

I get that we always want to buy for the future, or at least for a couple of years. And I get that they don't want to buy a top tier CB if 2 will be back soon. But these are exceptional fúcking circumstances. Williams is shít. Phillips is shít. Fabinho is our best DM and can't play there. When Hendo is injured or needs a rest, our midfield is fúcked defensively because we can't put Fabinho. A CB must be purchased. And now.

This needs to be a wakeup call. We win that game with a functioning CB, and by association, midfield.

I'd play Trent Fab and Robertson as a sitting 3.

We have enough to build around that. Jones and Firmino could do the wing work.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement