Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2020/2021

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,463 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Need to try 3 at the back against Spurs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Need to try 3 at the back against Spurs.

Won't help. Even if that solidifies us, which i don't think it will, we'll have problems going forward.

We just need a CB. It really is that fúcking simple. And without it, we're fúcked. Top 4 will be an effort.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,022 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I'd play Trent Fab and Robertson as a sitting 3.

We have enough to build around that. Jones and Firmino could do the wing work.

Could do something like that alright... would be inclined to throw in Milner for Robertson in that role though, and allow Robbo to play as a wing back. He stretches teams too well to leave penned back.

Jones or Ox as the other wingback staying wide. Ox has been rubbish centrally, but a more defined and simplified wide role might help him out.

Thiago, Hendo, and Gini centre, and then I guess Mo and Mane up as a two.

Most important thing in going 3 at the back is finding a combination that lets the rest of the team stop looking over their shoulders and push on in numbers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Elliott with another assist today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Can he play centre back?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Just for some positivity, it was clear they'd had a word about the aimless fúcking crossing. Some of our play, especially 2nd half, was excellent. It's like they remembered they could use the width to actually attack through the centre.

It's a pity we have no ability to sustain pressure or hem teams in though, so eventually Utd got up the pitch again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭atilladehun

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Could do something like that alright... would be inclined to throw in Milner for Robertson in that role though, and allow Robbo to play as a wing back. He stretches teams too well to leave penned back.

Jones or Ox as the other wingback staying wide. Ox has been rubbish centrally, but a more defined and simplified wide role might help him out.

Thiago, Hendo, and Gini centre, and then I guess Mo and Mane up as a two.

Most important thing in going 3 at the back is finding a combination that lets the rest of the team stop looking over their shoulders and push on in numbers.

Matip is back for Thursday. I don't expect us to be under excessive pressure in that game. Nothing that we wouldn't normally have to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,258 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

I'd stick with the same formation with the obvious best XI.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭Ken Tucky

Nice to see us score...have a feeling that we are on the way back. Not nice to lose but would rather FA cup than a league loss.
    Either team could have won that game...Our center back cost nothing and was poor...theirs cost 80million and was poor also...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭facehugger99

I'd play Trent Fab and Robertson as a sitting 3.

We have enough to build around that. Jones and Firmino could do the wing work.

Good God that's a terrible suggestion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 526 ✭✭✭downwesht

Klopp out, Rodgers back !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Not Allison’s best day either. Made a positioning mistake setting up for the free kick and looking back at it I think he’ll be fairly pissed off that he didn’t stop Rashford’s either. It wasn’t a particularly great finish really.

United do a lot of diving but I think the free on Cavani was fair enough although Cavani definitely bought it by inviting contact and then dramatically spinning to the turf. I think Fab left enough on him there with his knee to justify the ref awarding the free. Clever (or cynical) play by a very experienced striker.

On the plus side both Mo and Bobby were much better than of late. Problems were more at the back today. Thiago as deepest lying midfielder is not really working either. Think we need to get him higher up the pitch. Which would be possible if we had either Hendo or Fab available for midfield.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

It's not fair on Williams to be thrown into a game like that, he's simply not good enough and doesn't look like he ever will. Philips not good enough either, but, at least can defend, of the 2 I think he's the best option right now, but, Klopp seems reluctant to play him.
    We are really missing Henderson and Fabinho in midfield, but, unlikely to see Fabinho in midfield this season. Not getting in a CB really is ridiculous at this stage, it's hurting the team so much and it'll be difficult to get top 4 at this stage.
    Only positives tonight is that Salah back scoring again and Firmino linked up the play well. Mane poor when he came on. The overall performance was ok, didn't really do enough to win it, but, unlucky to lose it too. Will need to improve against Spurs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Elliott has Klopp stamped right through him. Little ball-playing, defence splitting terrier of a player

Even if it doesn't come off you can see the vision he has for a ball that immediately creates a chance when nothing much appeared on.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

A year or two ago I reckon Milner gets his head on that ball from rashford. He is still really fit but that was just another sign that the legs are going. He couldn't sort his feet out quick enough and couldn't get off the ground.

No money for a CB but enough for a Derby academy player.

https://twitter.com/JPercyTelegraph/status/1353401627399622657

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

A year or two ago I reckon Milner gets his head on that ball from rashford. He is still really fit but that was just another sign that the legs are going. He couldn't sort his feet out quick enough and couldn't get off the ground.

Ah that’s harsh, it was just a brilliant ball from Rashford. Some times there’s shít all you can do,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭pm1977x

you won't get a quality Premiership standard CB for £1m though will you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Not springing for a CB is downright criminal after our run of piss poor results. What's worse, 50M or losing a CL spot?

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Buddy97mm

Disappointing result but a far better performance overall. Thought we were well in control at 2-2, but a soft free changed that. Think its ironic that as a free on the edge of the area, rather than a penalty if a few feet further on, it doesn't get a VAR review.

Positives were Mo getting 2 goals and Bobby eventually in second half looking like the Bobby of old, looked much better when dropping deeper. Trent was better than has been, but poor old Rhys looking lost. Thiago was disappointing,but do think he's playing about 10/15 meters deeper than ideal and will be better when Hendo partners him. I really think Milly made a huge difference today, continually does the right and simple thing, leads by example and makes it easier for those around him. Would have him starting vs Tottenham especially if Hendo doesn't make it.

Anyway, far more optimistic after this than for past 5/6 games, hope that improvement continues. Klopps interview suggested this was nearly prep for the Spurs game, fact that Matip was rested would also indicate that that game seen as far more important, which I'd agree.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

razorblunt wrote: »
    Ah that’s harsh, it was just a brilliant ball from Rashford. Some times there’s shít all you can do,

It was a great ball but Milner committed to it as he knew he could get it but he just couldn't sort his feet out quick enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

That could turn out to be a great deal.

Already appeared for Derby's 1st team.

downwesht wrote: »
    Klopp out, Rodgers back !

Ironically Rogers was fired on the back of having no strikers. Doubt Klopp will suffer same faith with no cb's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭Ken Tucky

Ironically Rogers was fired on the back of having no strikers. Doubt Klopp will suffer same faith with no cb's

I fuc*ing hope hot...man is a legend in the real time. Season is tough but with a full squad and a couple of fresh players we are well placed to to be on top again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,258 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

I don't know if you're doing the gimmick but Rodgers got one season out of a Luis Suarez possessed side while Klopp is on a wave of 3 seasons on an unreal level. Anyone questioning Klopp are have an utter laugh; the injuries have caught up with us it's as simple as that.

One could go to any Dutch club, Danish Club, Austria club ect and just pick up a CB for 4m , as long as they're fast, tall, and 24-27 .
    Not difficult, 100#s of them out there. We only need a body, not a worldclass defender.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭limnam

Keeper was pretty bad on all 3 to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

We won the league and champions League in spite of FSG. With our budget, recruitment, tactics and a clean bill of health needed to be perfect and it was for a couple of seasons.

They have congratulated themselves for paying Salah and VVD just shy of 200k per week (Chelsea paid were 275k per week for context).

Their entire strategy revolves around selling to buy. Coutinho paid for Alisson and VVD. We made money on Mignolet and signed a keeper for free in Adrian(whose errors saw us dumped from 2 comps in 10 days last season).

We sold Lovren and Hoever without bringing in a replacement defender. Knowing Matip and Gomez were not capable of completing a full season.

Covid has meant we were unable to flog the likes of Origi, Shaqiri for stupid money which was probably how we'd fund replacements.

If things don't go according to plan 100%, FSG won't deviate and give the manager what he needs in crisis. The guy who won us the league and European cup.

All whilst hoovering up record sponsorship deals left right and centre and still playing the poor mouth. We are told our top target isn't available right now? Find it hard to believe he'll be a world beater for big money in the summer when Gomez and VVD are fit again.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Baseball72

MD1990 wrote: »
    That could turn out to be a great deal.

Already appeared for Derby's 1st team.

It's a steal at €1m, with add ons, maybe €3m. As a Derby County fan, I think it's dreadful business. If you get him, he has a great future ahead of him.

• Advertisement

Pau Torres could be picked up with a decent offer

I think Thiago needs Fab beside him in midfield so we can get the best out of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

The thing I don't understand about the refusal to buy a centreback is that we needed one BEFORE the injuries. It's not going to be money wasted. If they can't get a long term option in January, get a short term loan option or an old pro on a 12 month contract. It's clear Williams and Phillips aren't viable options. We are allowing a crisis in one position become a crisis everywhere - very frustrating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭mosstin

Blanco100 wrote: »
    We won the league and champions League in spite of FSG. With our budget, recruitment, tactics and a clean bill of health needed to be perfect and it was for a couple of seasons.

They have congratulated themselves for paying Salah and VVD just shy of 200k per week (Chelsea paid were 275k per week for context).

Their entire strategy revolves around selling to buy. Coutinho paid for Alisson and VVD. We made money on Mignolet and signed a keeper for free in Adrian(whose errors saw us dumped from 2 comps in 10 days last season).

We sold Lovren and Hoever without bringing in a replacement defender. Knowing Matip and Gomez were not capable of completing a full season.

Covid has meant we were unable to flog the likes of Origi, Shaqiri for stupid money which was probably how we'd fund replacements.

If things don't go according to plan 100%, FSG won't deviate and give the manager what he needs in crisis. The guy who won us the league and European cup.

All whilst hoovering up record sponsorship deals left right and centre and still playing the poor mouth. We are told our top target isn't available right now? Find it hard to believe he'll be a world beater for big money in the summer when Gomez and VVD are fit again.

Revisionist history is quite the most remarkable field - this is a ludicrous assertion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Could have shrunk a half an inch in the interim too.

Apparently you get shorter in old age.

• Advertisement

Tusky wrote: »
    The thing I don't understand about the refusal to buy a centreback is that we needed one BEFORE the injuries......

I imagine it's not quite as clear cut as we imagine. I also imagine it should be very easy to get a capable CB in Jan transfer window when you know you need one for months.... Yet it's not happening.
    It's very puzzling.

If Henderson is fit for Spurs game would we be better starting him, Milner and Gini and leave Thaigo on the bench until second half, it doesn't seem to be working with Thiago at the moment, for all his skill and control we really haven't benefited from him yet. I know this won't go down well with a lot here, but, our results with Thaigo in the team have been poor

FSG Have been straight up from the day they bought the club that they wouldn't be putting money in and that the club would have to be self sufficient by generating it's own money.

They got Liverpool to the top of the big boy table doing it that way, However now they are at crossroads where due to world events beyond their or the clubs control that club isn't self sufficient at this moment in time and needs an injection of a small amount of funds to remain at the top table.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Girly Gal wrote: »
    If Henderson is fit for Spurs game would we be better starting him, Milner and Gini and leave Thaigo on the bench until second half, it doesn't seem to be working with Thiago at the moment, for all his skill and control we really haven't benefited from him yet. I know this won't go down well with a lot here, but, our results with Thaigo in the team have been poor

Thiago is not the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Shanee.

We simply have to buy a fcuking centre back. At this point its laughable thinking we can go on with Williams/Phillips back there when Matip is made of paper

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,022 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I hope not... there’s no midfield combo I dislike more than Hendo, Milner and Gini. Painful to watch... it’s like they compound each other to somehow become something much worse than the sum of their parts. If we’re dropping Thiago would rather Jones or Shaq come in.

Thiago’s grand though. He’s also not gotten to play much with Henderson beside him in CM, which will help more I think.

On the other hand, I’d happily swap Milner in for TAA at full back.

Tusky wrote: »
    Thiago is not the problem.

At the moment he doesn't appear to be the solution either, he's performance tonight was ordinary enough, nothing special. I know technically he's a much better player than the other 3, but, it doesn't seem to be working right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

Anything but Heno, Milner and Gini, it can be painful to watch at times!!! Heno, Gini and Thiago further forward would be lot better....or sign a centre half before then nd put Fab back in midfield with Hendo and Thiago further forward would be even better!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Shanee.

Will we ever get to see the team we all dreamed of:

Alisson
    Trent Gomez VVD Robbo
    Hendo Fabinho Thiago
    Salah Firmino Mane

I feel we will never have the privilege of seeing this team in full flow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,931 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Despite the showing we just had from a youth CB I honestly think the team would be better with a Matip-Phillips partnership and Fabinho back in midfield than if we were to leave Fab at the back. A big part of our defending has always been ensuring the ball rarely actually reaches our CBs and that's all thanks to Fab.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

Buddy97mm wrote: »
    Disappointing result but a far better performance overall. Thought we were well in control at 2-2, but a soft free changed that. Think its ironic that as a free on the edge of the area, rather than a penalty if a few feet further on, it doesn't get a VAR review.

Positives were Mo getting 2 goals and Bobby eventually in second half looking like the Bobby of old, looked much better when dropping deeper. Trent was better than has been, but poor old Rhys looking lost. Thiago was disappointing,but do think he's playing about 10/15 meters deeper than ideal and will be better when Hendo partners him. I really think Milly made a huge difference today, continually does the right and simple thing, leads by example and makes it easier for those around him. Would have him starting vs Tottenham especially if Hendo doesn't make it.

Anyway, far more optimistic after this than for past 5/6 games, hope that improvement continues. Klopps interview suggested this was nearly prep for the Spurs game, fact that Matip was rested would also indicate that that game seen as far more important, which I'd agree.

Agreed, the performance of the team as an attacking unit was much better today and gives optimism of a recovery in confidence. The result is not as important as that performance today.
    I can see why Hendo was being picked ahead of Rhys in defence now, it's too soon for him and he was completely out of his depth. Don't think he will be a long term prospect either, without any recovery pace.

Anything but Heno, Milner and Gini, it can be painful to watch at times!!! Heno, Gini and Thiago further forward would be lot better....or sign a centre half before then nd put Fab back in midfield with Hendo and Thiago further forward would be even better!!!

That's probably the best solution, but, we know that won't happen, I'd agree with pushing Thaigo further forward, he's playing too deep at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭kingshankly

garra wrote: »
    Agreed, the performance of the team as an attacking unit was much better today and gives optimism of a recovery in confidence. The result is not as important as that performance today.
    I can see why Hendo was being picked ahead of Rhys in defence now, it's too soon for him and he was completely out of his depth. Don't think he will be a long term prospect either, without any recovery pace.

Shows how far we have slipped that people are taking positives from the fact we scored a couple of goals against Utd and played ok in patches 🙈
    Christ a month ago we were odds in to win the league
    Realistically we have been Poor since February last year got away with a few last year
    I’m sure the incredible efforts of the last three seasons have taken their toll mentally and physically

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Buddy97mm

Millie should not be the one trying to make that header in first instance-you expect one of our defenders would be the ones dealing with a long high ball over the top. Testament to him that he was the one putting himself there.
    Terrible ball to try and deal with, think it may go over you but know you lose all spring in a jump if you step backwards, yet may miss it even more of you move forward to attack the ball.

Matip plus child does allow Thiago to play 15-20 yards up the pitch which is where Gini has run out of steam/inspiration.

Fabbo
    ---Hendo---Thiago

With option of slotting in one of Shaq/Jones/Miniamino/Keita (?) for Mane maybe, go 4231 or 442.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement