Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2020/2021

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭garra

Shows how far we have slipped that people are taking positives from the fact we scored a couple of goals against Utd and played ok in patches 🙈
    Christ a month ago we were odds in to win the league
    Realistically we have been Poor since February last year got away with a few last year
    I’m sure the incredible efforts of the last three seasons have taken their toll mentally and physically

You don't need to read Boards to see how far the team has slipped in terms of morale and performance, mostly brought on by injuries to defence and our holy trinity of strikers mis-firing. I will take my positives where I find them in this f£cked up season, the only way is up etc etc...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,210 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

I think there was actually a few positives today, in amongst all the negatives around losing to Man Utd and being locked out of the cup.

It was probably the best Milner had played in a year. Granted not a lot as he is coming to the end of his career, but shows he can still play PL level games.

Trent's best game in a month or more. Form is temporary, class is permanent and all that.

Salah is back scoring and the team as a whole looked to have some confidence in their play again for 30 odd mins if the 2nd half too. 1st half was ok.

Gini is horribly out of form. He's getting very slow now on the ball now. Although to be fair, I think that he might be told to do this in certain scenarios - hold onto the ball as there is ab obvious fear of losing the ball and leaving the 2 unnatural CBs exposed but he is holding onto the ball too long when quick attacks are possible. He is breaking them attacks down by taking an extra touch too many.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Fitz* wrote: »
    I think there was actually a few positives today, in amongst all the negatives around losing to Man Utd and being locked out of the cup.

It was probably the best Milner had played in a year. Granted not a lot as he is coming to the end of his career, but shows he can still play PL level games.

Trent's best game in a month or more. Form is temporary, class is permanent and all that.

Salah is back scoring and the team as a whole looked to have some confidence in their play again for 30 odd mins if the 2nd half too. 1st half was ok.

Gini is horribly out of form. He's getting very slow now on the ball now. Although to be fair, I think that he might be told to do this in certain scenarios - hold onto the ball as there is ab obvious fear of losing the ball and leaving the 2 unnatural CBs exposed but he is holding onto the ball too long when quick attacks are possible. He is breaking them attacks down by taking an extra touch too many.

Gini might also be bollocksed. He’s pretty much played constantly for us and the Netherlands this season. Mainly because he’s always been available when others have been injured.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,210 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Gini might also be bollocksed. He’s pretty much played constantly for us and the Netherlands this season. Mainly because he’s always been available when others have been injured.

Yep definitely a big factor. 2 months ago, he was the most important player and seeing him leave the pitch on 80 mins subbed off against Atalanta for a rest and injury free was celebrated as much as goals 3,4 & 5 such as was his importance in the middle of an injury crisis.

He was keeping the show on the road for a long time in midfield and in terms of seniority in the team. Hand holding Curtis Jones through games sometimes and always running, always showing.

It was bound to take its toll to be fair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,189 ✭✭✭mosstin

I honestly hope that no matter how the season pans out, Gini's remarkable commitment will be acknowledged. Superb footballer and always fit - compare and contrast with Ox, Keita, Shaq etc. Whoever gets brickbats for the rut we're in, he's been heroic this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Shanee.

When is Keita back?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,755 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Shanee. wrote: »
    When is Keita back?

October 2023

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Shanee.

October 2023

Ah good stuff. A few months before he's due back :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭kingshankly

October 2023

Just for 56 minutes though😂

• Advertisement

Shanee. wrote: »
    Ah good stuff. A few months before he's due back :o

Seriously though,its a funny one,he played against palace,didn't seem to get injured and hasn't been seen since. And the last few pressers no questions have been asked about when he might return

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61,012 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Seriously though,its a funny one,he played against palace,didn't seem to get injured and hasn't been seen since. And the last few pressers no questions have been asked about when he might return

And without him they have been pretty sh1t.

And without him they have been pretty sh1t.

Yeah for certain,if keita and Matip could get a run of games in the team it would make an awful difference. Now I know that won't happen but a midfield of Henderson,Thiago and Kieta is a different proposition altogether

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I've left out the likely season long injuries, backup keepers and the peripheral kids of the squad

Alisson 28 G 1440
    A. Robertson 26 D 1710
    T. Alexander-Arnold 22 D 1399
    Fabinho 27 M 1471
    G. Wijnaldum 30 M 1530
    J. Henderson 30 M 1227
    Roberto Firmino 29 A 1520
    S. Mané 28 A 1512
    Mohamed Salah 28 A 1474

J. Matip 29 D 647
    C. Jones 19 M 685
    J. Gomez 23 D 590
    Diogo Jota 24 A 501

Thiago 29 M 421
    N. Keïta 25 M 401
    J. Milner 35 M 344
    T. Minamino 26 A 286
    A. Ox-Cham 27 M 135
    D. Origi 25 A 69
    K. Tsimikas 24 D 0

Too few players racking up the minutes and a shed full of potential shagged by injuries and in Minamino's case unexplained under use.

Stupid tables won't format :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭atilladehun

Think someone posted here during the week. Naby has stupid low minutes for his entire time in Liverpool.

Not contributing enough. No doubt we sell him and he goes off and does an Ings

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,574 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Remember when everyone said ''' if Liverpool sign Thiago, the season is over for everyone else, no point in anyone else even trying''

• Advertisement

Think someone posted here during the week. Naby has stupid low minutes for his entire time in Liverpool.

Not contributing enough. No doubt we sell him and he goes off and does an Ings

Lovern couldn't play more than 5 games without picking up a knock.

He hasn't missed a minute since joining Zenit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,206 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Remember when everyone said ''' if Liverpool sign Thiago, the season is over for everyone else, no point in anyone else even trying''

To be fair that was before our CB's got wiped out, and before he got wiped out himself.

Always frustrating to lose to United but if you were to pick one of the two games to lose, it would be this one.

The silver lining is no more games in that competition, which means fewer opportunities for existing players to pick up injuries.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

fyfe79 wrote: »
    Always frustrating to lose to United but if you were to pick one of the two games to lose, it would be this one.

The silver lining is no more games in that competition, which means fewer opportunities for existing players to pick up injuries.

We're not going to win the league and if we have to play Williams or Henderson at CB we won't go far in the CL so the FA Cup probably represented our best chance of silverware. There's never a silver lining to losing to United and certainly not at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

:eek::pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭AidoEirE

Jaysus christ, lovren the saviour that shoulda been....

Thingo the best midfielder in the league/world.

Last year the FA Cupp meant the treble, but now this evening means nothing.

Soooo how does it go now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Technophobe

:eek::pac:

Better 8 than 30 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭ballyargus

We are crying out for a top end utility player. A thuram,a gallas or maybe an Alaba player. Beyond that, the main problem is energy. We aren't dangerous and don't look it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I see all the mutants are in, dribbling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,428 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Girly Gal wrote: »
    We're not going to win the league and if we have to play Williams or Henderson at CB we won't go far in the CL so the FA Cup probably represented our best chance of silverware. There's never a silver lining to losing to United and certainly not at the moment.

Loser talk.

We're well past the 'lets try and win the FA cup' mentality.

Getting top-4 this year would be a far better achievement than a meaningless cup and we're not out of the League or CL by any means.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,826 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Just listening to a podcast, Trent has played around 155 games, more or less , non stop in the couple of years since he broke into the team. No wonder he’s burnt out.
    Robbo the same so maybe that’s not it. It also mentions Klopp’s change in demeanour. From happy smiling Klopp to fighting with Sean Dyche in the tunnel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Demosthenese

Interesting feeling after that game last night. Strange to say i am actually a little relieved??? downside is losing to United but after watching us the last few weeks it was great to score and the goals themselves were really good too.

Bit of perspective though - i said before the game i hope Williams plays well cos he needs it for confidence and such - it turned out to be a nightmare for him. Even the mistake for the goal aside he was eaten alive by Rashford and in hindsight it was too much for him. He doesn't even look fully developed, clearly lacking pace and might be a deterrent of using him again. Also a reason why it'll probably be Hendo/Matip partnering Fab in the middle from here on in. Not having a god at him he's young and just not ready for this yet.

As a whole though it was much better from us - after we scored the first and second goals there was a noticeable lift in our press, tackling, speed of movement. I thought we played better ball and were looking far better than last 4 games combined. That said, we've gone back to being "Much better attacking team, controlling the game, dominating" and getting caught out badly for counter attacking goals. We were the downfall of our own making for all 3 goals.

Spurs game is going to be a nightmare as it is literally the same game as we just played lying ahead. Jose will setup exactly as United with less attacking endeavor. They were close the last time and we're not close to the form we were in that game. Makes for an interesting event.

I liked the attacking movement, intricate passing around the box last night, we were not crossing to no mans land as much as before, the 2 goals were really good and could have had more.

With no new CB it's going to be a bit frustrating at times in the home run - loads of games left to gain some form. We need to stop comparing about how good we've been for 3 years and focus on how good we need to be going forward. The minimum expected now is to outpoint 3/5 teams around us now to make sure we finish top4. Then see what happens after that.

Onwards and upwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,372 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

While it was obvious hyperbole, I do believe what we had when we all said that would've been brutal to stop.

Alisson
    Trent VVD Gomez Robbo
    Thiago Fabinho Henderson
    Salah Firmino Mané

With Keita, Matip, Jota, Wijnaldum, Jones, Ox all in reserve.

Yes, nobody goes without injuries. But Thiago hasn't played with a fully functioning defensive system with even close to the right personnel.

The one time he was, he came on against Chelsea, and took the píss with his brilliance. The other time, against Everton, when we'd VVD injured, but Gomez was still around, and the midfield structure was still normal, he was unreal, and created the winner, which we all remember was chalked off inexplicably.

No one player can carry a team that has a blatant dysfunction in one area, because the rest of the team and balance has to compensate for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,589 ✭✭✭celt262

cj maxx wrote: »
    It also mentions Klopp’s change in demeanour. From happy smiling Klopp to fighting with Sean Dyche in the tunnel.

Thats Klopp when things are not going his way he is a good winner but a bad loser.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭SM01

I'm scratching my head with anyone who thinks Thiago is a problem.

Simply put: rip apart Liverpool's defensive solidity and the whole team will suffer. That's the issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Loser talk.

We're well past the 'lets try and win the FA cup' mentality.

Getting top-4 this year would be a far better achievement than a meaningless cup and we're not out of the League or CL by any means.

It will take around 80 points to win the league this year, at the moment we can only get 91 points, so realistically we can only drop around 10 points to have any chance of winning it. We would need to get back to similar type of form we had at the start of last season to win the league now, considering our current form and injury situation at CB that's highly unlikely to happen, anyone who thinks we'll win the league this season is living in dreamland. I have no doubt our form will pick up and we'll probably close some of the gap to the top, but, this slump in form has left us too much to do and done too much damage to the team's morale and confidence.
    The CB situation is likely to hinder our progress in the CL too, can you imagine for example if Williams has to play against Bayern Munich.
    Getting top 4 is nothing to celebrate, we're gone well beyond that at this stage, it's the absolute minimum required. Only losers celebrate getting into the top 4. Winning the FA Cup would have been some consolation and reward for the players after a really difficult season. Does anyone remember where we finished in the league in 06, not really, but, we all remember winning the FA that year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,372 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

What really frustrated me about yesterday was that Utd weren't even good. Genuinely.

They didn't have to do much to get out when we tried to hem them in. Just lump it to Rashford who had Williams for breakfast. If our team was fully functioning, they'd have been in real trouble. But we weren't, and eventually they got out enough times to hurt us.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭SM01

celt262 wrote: »
    Thats Klopp when things are not going his way he is a good winner but a bad loser.

This is utter fallacy. Klopp fights tooth and nail for his team but is pretty philosophical and reflective in loss.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Bill Ponderosa

SM01 wrote: »
    This is utter fallacy. Klopp fights tooth and nail for his team but is pretty philosophical and reflective in loss.

Pressure is definitely getting to him these past few weeks, gone is the happy chappy everybody's friend, he's slowly turning into Benitez towards the end.

Wonder if it's the beginning of the end for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Girly Gal wrote: »
    Does anyone remember where we finished in the league in 06, not really, but, we all remember winning the FA that year.

CL final in 2007, so top 4.

EDIT: 3rd on 82, Man Utd 2nd on 83, Chelsea 1st on 91. Arsenal 4th, 15 points behind us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Thoughts from the weekend: Losing to Utd hurts, always will. We can still win PL and CL; I've total faith in this team even though we've obviously had issues since May.

Play Milner, Philips, Matip, Robbo in the back 4 against Spurs for 60 mins with Fabinho & Hendo in midfield behind Thiago. Drop Mane, play Bobby as he may have picked up some confidence after yesterday.

I think we need to get Hendo and Fab out of CB and back to their old positions as it obviously isn't working with one or both of them there. Play them as was envisaged when we bought Thiago and see what happens. We need to take the game to Spurs with Fab and Hendo as a first line of defence as we would otherwise be open to their counter.

TAA and Mane need a time out.

Put pressure on Spurs and get the first goal. If they score first they'll revert to a 5-4-1 or 5-5-0. If they do that, we're going to find it difficult to score.

De Bruyne out for 4-6 weeks - how will that affect City? He's their version of Henerson.

Pressure is definitely getting to him these past few weeks, gone is the happy chappy everybody's friend, he's slowly turning into Benitez towards the end.

No

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,233 ✭✭✭McFly85

celt262 wrote: »

Complete nonsense of course, most of the talk from Klopp is about what Liverpool as a team need to improve on, or get back to.

In any case, I find it laughable as a stick to beat a manager with. Can you show me any manager who has never blamed referee decisions or other players diving etc for a teams loss before?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭Masala

KevRossi wrote: »
    Thoughts from the weekend: Losing to Utd hurts, always will. We can still win PL and CL; I've total faith in this team even though we've obviously had issues since May.

Play Milner, Philips, Matip, Robbo in the back 4 against Spurs for 60 mins with Fabinho & Hendo in midfield behind Thiago. Drop Mane, play Bobby as he may have picked up some confidence after yesterday.

I think we need to get Hendo and Fab out of CB and back to their old positions as it obviously isn't working with one or both of them there. Play them as was envisaged when we bought Thiago and see what happens. We need to take the game to Spurs with Fab and Hendo as a first line of defence as we would otherwise be open to their counter.

TAA and Mane need a time out.

Put pressure on Spurs and get the first goal. If they score first they'll revert to a 5-4-1 or 5-5-0. If they do that, we're going to find it difficult to score.

De Bruyne out for 4-6 weeks - how will that affect City? He's their version of Henerson.

Foden stepped to the plate on Saturday.... although we talking Cheltham here !! Gudogen starting to click. Fernandinho got 60 minutes in him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Sam Hain

Huh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,984 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Anyway speaking of managers, Frank's about to be sacked and his biggest accomplishment for a job he was never qualified for is shouting at Klopp during a loss.

Hopefully there is some truth to this.
    Liverpool contacted Sokratis last week to check status #LFC

https://twitter.com/David_Ornstein/status/1353609862798835713?s=20

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,885 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Still trying to work out how Pogba got man of the MOM yesterday bizzare
    we obviously targeted him and pressed him hard when he received the ball we must have won it back of him about 10 times,

Rashford and Cavani where miles better than him ,

Wow. Klopp definitely looked under pressure after the game last night when he went on to the pitch and shook all the Utd players and referee's hands without a moan and had a chat with Pogba which included several smiles/laughs.

It's wishful thinking to assume Klopp is 'cracking' or whatever. Like his run-in with Dyche last week - if he'd done nothing but let Dyche rant at him, people would say Klopp is "disinterested/lost the passion/time is up". Instead, he has a go right back at him, and he's "losing it/time is up". People will pick holes in his behaviour no matter what he does.

fyfe79 wrote: »
    Wow. Klopp definitely looked under pressure after the game last night when he went on to the pitch and shook all the Utd players and referee's hands without a moan and had a chat with Pogba which included several smiles/laughs.

It's wishful thinking to assume Klopp is 'cracking' or whatever. Like his run-in with Dyche last week - if he'd done nothing but let Dyche rant at him, people would say Klopp is "disinterested/lost the passion/time is up". Instead, he has a go right back at him, and he's "losing it/time is up". People will pick holes in his behaviour no matter what he does.
    It's like when klopp first came,the narrative was he needs to win a trophy,any trophy like the league cup/fa cup. Then it changed to klopp not able to win finals,now he is losing it and is finished. And the need to come in here and tell us. Jaysus just shows how much Klopp gets into some peoples heads

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,407 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

What makes you think Socratis will be any better at Liverpool?

He didn't set the world alight at Arsenal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Pepp1989

Vicxas wrote:

I'd be confident he would be better than young Rhys and big Nat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,885 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Vicxas wrote: »

He didn't set the world alight at Arsenal

He doesn't suit our style of play at all , but I'm guessing people just want better than Williams and Phillips

Pepp1989 wrote: »
    I'd be confident he would be better than young Rhys and big Nat

Yeah. Exactly 0% (at a guess) of Liverpool fans think Socratis is a world-beater. What he is is a seasoned PL veteran CB and at least one of them is needed in a right hurry! Plus he's played under Klopp before at Dortmund.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

I'm scratching my head with anyone who thinks Thiago is a problem.

Simply put: rip apart Liverpool's defensive solidity and the whole team will suffer. That's the issue.

That's how simple it is. How would chelsea have got on with Terry and Carvalho injured for the season and having to play makelele CB alongside Robert huth who ended up injured aswell a lot of the time. So when Huth missed out the choice was to play Essien CB alongside makelele or some young lad that would go onto play league 2 football. What's happened this year is just unfortunate. Of course it would be great to now go out and spend 50 million on a CB but when you have to consider Net spend unlike other clubs thats just not possible.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement