Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2020/2021

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,591 ✭✭✭brevity

He played with Klopp at Dortmund I believe. By all accounts he is a good pro but technically limited. Does the simple things well.

bc46w332kbd61.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Still trying to work out how Pogba got man of the MOM yesterday bizzare
    we obviously targeted him and pressed him hard when he received the ball we must have won it back of him about 10 times,

Rashford and Cavani where miles better than him ,

Because Jenas is pretty clueless , his analysis on commentary is awful.
    For Example he also mentioned 4 well worked goals at 2-2
    3 were mistakes counterattacked !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Enzokk

He doesn't suit our style of play at all , but I'm guessing people just want better than Williams and Phillips

Seems like people just want a body in there, whether he is good or not. Just sign a CB, any CB...otherwise our season is ruined. He might be crap and cost us point...but just sign someone!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Enzokk wrote: »
    Seems like people just want a body in there, whether he is good or not. Just sign a CB, any CB...otherwise our season is ruined. He might be crap and cost us point...but just sign someone!!

No, not anyone.... a PL-level CB is needed. The club won't be signing a mainstay CB in January so we need a stop-gap option for the remainder of this season and Sokratis fits the bill.

Maybe Sokratis might cost us some points if signed, who knows, but Williams and Philips are not PL standard and will certainly cost us points.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,489 ✭✭✭KevRossi

brevity wrote: »
    He played with Klopp at Dortmund I believe. By all accounts he is a good pro but technically limited. Does the simple things well.

That'll do me. He'll have the experience to link with Matip and would be able to help TAA/Philips/Milner.

Main thing is he frees Fab and Hendo up to do their thing firther up the field.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

Fitz* wrote: »
    I think there was actually a few positives today, in amongst all the negatives around losing to Man Utd and being locked out of the cup.

It was probably the best Milner had played in a year. Granted not a lot as he is coming to the end of his career, but shows he can still play PL level games.

Trent's best game in a month or more. Form is temporary, class is permanent and all that.

Salah is back scoring and the team as a whole looked to have some confidence in their play again for 30 odd mins if the 2nd half too. 1st half was ok.

Gini is horribly out of form. He's getting very slow now on the ball now. Although to be fair, I think that he might be told to do this in certain scenarios - hold onto the ball as there is ab obvious fear of losing the ball and leaving the 2 unnatural CBs exposed but he is holding onto the ball too long when quick attacks are possible. He is breaking them attacks down by taking an extra touch too many.

I thought we played well in parts. Obviously the center of defense is killing us. We will be doing well to get top 4 if we keep with the same players. Worried that fab will get injured also.

Have to say Gini is being flogged at the moment..He's playing nearly every game

Better signs from Liverpool. I dont think we will lose against Spurs but 3 pts are badly needed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

bc46w332kbd61.png

robertson thinks he playing Sunday league football there, brilliant finish from Greenwood

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

5 and a half days to do something. The rise in chatter suggests that we might just see someone dragged in off the street on loan.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,258 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

5 and a half days to do something. The rise in chatter suggests that we might just see someone dragged in off the street on loan.

If we do get someone Williams was the sacrificial lamb.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,822 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

bangkok wrote: »
    robertson thinks he playing Sunday league football there, brilliant finish from Greenwood

He shouted at him not sure why people think that's a big deal ?

Id be more upset at the antics from DVB be honest ,no idea how he wasn't booked,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

There has been no major movement in the transfer window yet within the premier league it's like all clubs are waiting for the other to blink first before the merry-go-round starts.

Looks like something is happening alright... enquiries for Alaba and now Sokratis.

It'll be some craic when Wes Morgan rocks up at Anfield next week! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Id be more upset at the antics from DVB be honest ,no idea how he wasn't booked,

you dont often see it at top level football thats why i would imagine

Why are ye posting that stuff in the Liverpool thread anyway? The PL thread, FA Cup thread, Humour thread (nevermind the Utd thread) not enough?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Bill Ponderosa

bc46w332kbd61.png

Was worth a try I suppose, if you're badly caught out of position then there's always school yard tactics!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,183 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

So your saying no Utd player has ever tried to put an opponent off before?

Happens far more than you think just without the crowds its easier to hear,
    Wasn't your very own Wayne Rooney know for sledging ,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SM01

I laughed aloud when Robertson did that, the cheeky bo11ix!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Yeah utd players are usually roaring at their teammates to dive for a penalty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭1o059k7ewrqj3n

This happens all the time, here’s Rafael for Utd doing the same.

Rafael.JPG

"MAN ON!!!!"

Reports today that Madrid have dropped there focus on Mbappe and are going to be throwing everything at signing Haaland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

SlickRic wrote: »
    What really frustrated me about yesterday was that Utd weren't even good. Genuinely.

They didn't have to do much to get out when we tried to hem them in. Just lump it to Rashford who had Williams for breakfast. If our team was fully functioning, they'd have been in real trouble. But we weren't, and eventually they got out enough times to hurt us.

Aside from City, there aren't too many teams who are going to come out and try and press the game to Liverpool, and in all honesty, there is zero need for them to do so.

We lost to West Brom and Burnley with probably over 70% possession and both sides registering a handful of attacks.

United are an excellent counter attacking side, and scored two of their goals yesterday in that fashion. I don't really see why they would try anything different.

However, even on that front, there was spells when they did pass the ball about more than expected. And it was probably that willingness to be more open than the likes of Burnley, and even United in their previous game vs Liverpool, that led to them conceding two goals. Certainly our 2nd goal came about from them trying to pass out from the back.

We can be annoyed all we want about teams not taking the game to Liverpool and just hitting us on the counter, but really, teams are actually daft to try anything else at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,932 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

We shouldn't have given them so much opportunity to counter, their first goal came with Trent way up the pitch while the guy who's supposed to cover for him when he attacks losing the ball on the edge of United's box.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Had Virgin Sport on in the background all morning. Just watched the '84 and 2005 finals and now watching the 2018 semi final second leg against City.
    It's got me through Monday morning.

I really can't get too worked up about this season. I accept our expectations have changed in recent years but with all that's happened I'm ok with it.

Jesus, Jesus just scored, we did win this right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

Knex* wrote: »
    Aside from City, there aren't too many teams who are going to come out and try and press the game to Liverpool, and in all honesty, there is zero need for them to do so.

We lost to West Brom and Burnley with probably over 70% possession and both sides registering a handful of attacks.

United are an excellent counter attacking side, and scored two of their goals yesterday in that fashion. I don't really see why they would try anything different.

However, even on that front, there was spells when they did pass the ball about more than expected. And it was probably that willingness to be more open than the likes of Burnley, and even United in their previous game vs Liverpool, that led to them conceding two goals. Certainly our 2nd goal came about from them trying to pass out from the back.

We can be annoyed all we want about teams not taking the game to Liverpool and just hitting us on the counter, but really, teams are actually daft to try anything else at the moment.

Which makes you wonder are we daft for not trying something else.

It would be a lot easier with fans in the stadium to give the ball to the opponents away from home and let their fans get on their backs to start using the ball.
    That's when we would hit them with the press and make quick breaks.

We need a change of tactic right now, especially against Spurs who will sit back and wait for the break with Son and Kane.

Knex* wrote: »

Indeed, 3 pts from the last 15 in the league.....

Burnley, Man Utd, Southampton, Newcastle and West Brom......... fair enough Utd are top of the PL but with 2.1ppg they aren't wonderful.

It's up top us to play to get points, not hope the opposition plays to suit us. Whatever that is these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Enzokk

So I guess Lampard getting the sack will be the warning to not rush into getting a previous legend to take over before they are tested and ready. I wish there was a way to know when this is, but unfortunately it is as much down to luck and guessing than anything, like most of management is really.

I wonder if we should pull the trigger as well? Chelsea is only points 5 behind us and if we act now, with the new coach bounce, we can counteract their bounce and keep ahead of them and in the top 4.

Yes, that is not to be taken seriously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

Pressure is definitely getting to him these past few weeks, gone is the happy chappy everybody's friend, he's slowly turning into Benitez towards the end.

Wonder if it's the beginning of the end for him.

You have got to be joking right? what team in the world would replace a manager of the quality of Klopp and who would you replace him with. His has just led this Liverpool team to record breaking back to back seasons and now because of a poor few months he should be sacked. No wonder football is gone mad these days!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,083 ✭✭✭Chesty08

The over reaction to FSG, Williams, Trent etc,.. is an absolute disgrace!

We have a shocking fan base truth be told!

Chesty08 wrote: »

Its mainly kids on the internet I wouldn't worry ,

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Bill Ponderosa

We shouldn't have given them so much opportunity to counter, their first goal came with Trent way up the pitch while the guy who's supposed to cover for him when he attacks losing the ball on the edge of United's box.

This is it in a nutshell, everyone blaming the centre backs but it was a full backs who were badly caught out of position for 2 goals. Bombing on at every opportunity and completely forgot about defending. United targeted both from the start and it paid off.
    Klopp played right into Ole's hands yesterday.

This is it in a nutshell, everyone blaming the centre backs but it was a full backs who were badly caught out of position for 2 goals. Bombing on at every opportunity and completely forgot about defending. United targeted both from the start and it paid off.

Its our style of play ,its the style that has made us the team we are why would we stop playing it ?

He got beat yesterday due to a horrific mistake by a rookie 19 year old CB , (simple ball to cut out ) and a silly free kick by a CM playing CB,

Full backs where fine ,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

In the end Williams got the treatment from Rashford which TAA was subjected to three seasons ago. As such he himself should have realised quickly and yes Klopp as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,932 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

I actually don't agree that it's the fullbacks' fault, in our system it's their job to play as high up the pitch as possible and it's the job of the midfield to cover their positions. United's equaliser came down our right while Trent was high up the pitch doing his job, the problem is that rather than slotting in back there Gini Wijnaldum was up in United's box despite having no idea what to do with the ball that high up the pitch whenever he gets it, which ultimately led to him passing it away and us getting caught out.

Ultimately that's what we miss most without Henderson in midfield, his most important job is exhibiting restraint to stay back and cover while others bomb forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SM01

Full backs were fine yesterday. Replace two of VVD/Gomez/Matip with a deputising CM and an inexperienced kid and that's what you get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,463 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

FSG never felt to distant. Silence can be deafening.

Linda doesn't even tweet anyone, she was ALWAYS front and centre for every game.
    It's the little things that count, at least it shows some interest

FSG never felt to distant. Silence can be deafening.

Linda doesn't even tweet anyone, she was ALWAYS front and centre for every game.
    It's the little things that count, at least it shows some interest

I'm not sure if people on here are actually serious or not anymore

Owners wife hasn't tweeted about us ….. the absolute BASTARDS !!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

you're allowed criticise and still be a fan.

they're not mutually exclusive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Feel for Thiago, you can see he's not doing what he was bought for. Hard to see the best of him playing in a thrown together midfield. Put him in with Hendo and Fab and its a whole other ball game.

This is the team I'd go for it gets Fab back into midfield and getting Hendo back covering for TAA going forward.

Philips is a natural CB but has proper match experience at senior level in Germany that puts him ahead of Williams.

You can put Bobby/Shaq or Keita in the middle of the 3.

Ali

TAA
    Matip
    Philips
    Robbo

Thiago
    Fab

Hendo
    Bobby/Keita/Shaq
    Mane

Salah

This is the team I'd go for it gets Fab back into midfield and getting Hendo back covering for TAA going forward.

Philips is a natural CB but has proper match experience at senior level in Germany that puts him ahead of Williams.

You can put Bobby/Shaq or Keita in the middle of the 3.

Ali

TAA
    Matip
    Philips
    Robbo

Thiago
    Fab

Hendo
    Bobby/Keita/Shaq
    Mane

Salah

Fab will not play in midfield again this season unless we sign a CB and even then I doubt we would see hi in midfield,

You just have to live with that reality now ,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Demosthenese

We'll see Fabinho in midfield again next season when VVD returns. Not before.
    We were blessed for 2 seasons with injuries. This year has just kicked us in the nuts. Not alot we can do but push on.

I'd be delighted with literally ANY recognised CB being bought now just to stop Hendo being pushed back into the backline. That's the real killer for me. Losing Fabinho hurts, but Hendo too is just ****.

United with Fred and McTominay in CB
    Spurs with Sissoko and Hoijberg in CB
    Leicester with Tielemans and Ndidi in CB .... it even sounds ridiculous to even type it!!!

No matter what way it falls we are a patched up side without both of them playing in Midfield.

That said, there's 20 odd games left this season with CL as well ... we need to find a solution to it. One that will go for a few games. It'll be 2 games a week again and we need to go up a gear.

This is what Klopp is all about now. Time for him to find the solution. We've seen from United/Leicester that you can put winning streaks together by being more pragmatic and defencive in your setup - just be more clinical in attack.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,489 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Sokratis has joined Olympiakos, so that's that one out.

https://twitter.com/olympiacosfc/status/1353762579563343873

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 775 ✭✭✭RonanG86

Sokratis makes Williams look rapid, so I doubt he was ever seriously considered.

If we just want to play any senior center back who doesn't try and defend 15 yards higher than his pace allows him, we could just field Phillips. He's not quick either, but at least he knows he's not quick and drops off accordingly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

RonanG86 wrote: »
    Sokratis makes Williams look rapid, so I doubt he was ever seriously considered.

If we just want to play any senior center back who doesn't try and defend 15 yards higher than his pace allows him, we could just field Phillips. He's not quick either, but at least he knows he's not quick and drops off accordingly.

He really doesn't. He's not the quickest on the turn, but is a lot quicker than Williams (or Nat) moving over the ground, and just an infinitely more experienced and better defender than both.

As a short term fix, he'd have been grand.

<edit>
    Sources for Sokratis sprint speed once he's moving;
    Was the 5th fastest in the Bundesliga between 2011 and 2018.

Was the third fastest in Arsenal's squad.

As I said above, he's not the quickest on the turn or over a sudden burst of 5 yards, but has decent recovery pace if there's space to run into. Like playing in a higher line for instance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Demosthenese

RonanG86 wrote: »

The problem is not his or Williams pace per say - it's our style of play wills us to push into a VERY high line with fullbacks being our biggest forward threat - giving width. This isolates defenders with lack of pace - in that scenario. Put Williams and Phillips in Burnleys defence ... no worries there! Hard to run in behind Ben Mee when he is sitting on the 18 yard box for 90 mins ...

Klopp clearly doesn't fancy Phillips on the ball playing out - when he weighs it up he goes for Williams. Unfortunately - that overrides Hendo goin in there when Matip if not fit.

Barca's books have been released ahead of the election and they owe Liverpool €40m from the Coutinho deal.

https://twitter.com/Millar_Colin/status/1353740303166017538?s=20

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,606 ✭✭✭Damien360

Barca's books have been released ahead of the election and they owe Liverpool €29m from the Coutinho deal.

They owe a total of €97m to other clubs.

I thought Liverpool got everything up front for Coutinho. We discussed this a few times in here and it was always the same conclusion.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement